Thanks Sally; Philomena
2020-06-20 21:20:25 UTC
Thanks so much for arranging the "drinks" meeting Sally - most
enjoyable! Lovely to see assorted UMRAts - I think we got up to 15? -
and their dogs and cats. (We were unaware of what was happening in
Reading.)

UMRAts who haven't seen it, might enjoy "Philomena", which I've just
noticed is on again, on BBC4 in about half an hour: an unusual film,
based on a true story, starring Judi Dench (excellent of course - a
_slightly_ different part from her usual, though not very) and Steve
Coogan, playing a straight part (of Martin Sixsmith the journalist),
rather well too IMO.

You'll need to have this fish in your ear. (First series, fit the first.)
Vicky Ayech
2020-06-21 08:12:23 UTC
On Sat, 20 Jun 2020 22:20:25 +0100, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
Thanks so much for arranging the "drinks" meeting Sally - most
enjoyable! Lovely to see assorted UMRAts - I think we got up to 15? -
and their dogs and cats. (We were unaware of what was happening in
Reading.)
UMRAts who haven't seen it, might enjoy "Philomena", which I've just
noticed is on again, on BBC4 in about half an hour: an unusual film,
based on a true story, starring Judi Dench (excellent of course - a
_slightly_ different part from her usual, though not very) and Steve
Coogan, playing a straight part (of Martin Sixsmith the journalist),
rather well too IMO.
It was a good film and Judy Dench is always good but the film is not a
bundle of laughs. It is miserable.
Jenny M Benson
2020-06-21 08:23:53 UTC
It was a good film and Judy Dench is always good but the film is not a
bundle of laughs. It is miserable.
Which is why I decided not to watch it again, but to watch Book Club
again because that is hilarious - and it's also good to see older ladies
being celebrated in such a way.
Wrexham, UK
a l l y
2020-06-21 09:12:47 UTC
Thanks so much for arranging the "drinks" meeting Sally - most enjoyable!
Lovely to see assorted UMRAts - I think we got up to 15? - and their dogs
and cats. (We were unaware of what was happening in Reading.)
Yes, it was lovely seeing everyone - catching up with those I'd met in real
life, as well as meeting several people for the first time. Well, "meeting"
as in seeing their faces while we chatted. (We don't have enough words for
these things, do we? We all met online in the days when we didn't expect to
see each other's faces or hear their voice; then some of us migrated to FB
where we usually see what others look like; and now we can talk in real time
with audio and video. And sometimes we make the effort to catch up in real
life! The word "meet" can cover all these things. We need some new verbs.) I
was particularly glad to be able to put a face to your name, jpg!
Exceptionally fine hirsuteness there!
UMRAts who haven't seen it, might enjoy "Philomena", which I've just
noticed is on again, on BBC4 in about half an hour: an unusual film, based
on a true story, starring Judi Dench (excellent of course - a _slightly_
different part from her usual, though not very) and Steve Coogan, playing a
straight part (of Martin Sixsmith the journalist), rather well too IMO.
I wasn't actually planning to watch anything on TV last night, but had to
wash the dishes so, to keep me occupied, I switched on the kitchen telly, to
find "Philomena" was on. I was gripped, and stayed sitting on the kitchen
table (It's a big solid Victorian table, very good for sitting on) until the
film was over. I'm always sad to see stories of evil nuns, because I grew
up with some very good teachers from the Sisters of Charity, as well as
having an auntie in the Sisters of Mercy. These were simply hardworking
teachers who happened to have a religious vocation. Some were lovely; some
were, in our eyes, far too strict, but none of them was evil. But I do know
that these things went on. I know people now - mainly in Ireland - who've
seen the results first hand, and it's horrible to hear about. The film was
beautifully done, so thanks for highlighting it. I probably wouldn't have
bothered watching if you hadn't recommended it.

ally
--
You'll need to have this fish in your ear. (First series, fit the first.)
2020-06-21 16:14:25 UTC
On Sun, 21 Jun 2020 at 10:12:47, a l l y <***@sitTHEDOGuponseats.co.uk>
wrote:
[]
Post by a l l y
Yes, it was lovely seeing everyone - catching up with those I'd met in
real life, as well as meeting several people for the first time. Well,
"meeting" as in seeing their faces while we chatted. (We don't have
enough words for these things, do we? We all met online in the days
when we didn't expect to see each other's faces or hear their voice;
then some of us migrated to FB where we usually see what others look
like; and now we can talk in real time with audio and video. And
sometimes we make the effort to catch up in real life! The word "meet"
can cover all these things. We need some new verbs.) I was particularly
glad to be able to put a face to your name, jpg! Exceptionally fine
hirsuteness there!
Ah, not a patch on TNMF, whose was not only longer, but both thicker and
much more kempt.

I still don't think of myself as looking like I do though!
Post by a l l y
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
UMRAts who haven't seen it, might enjoy "Philomena", which I've just
noticed is on again, on BBC4 in about half an hour: an unusual film,
based on a true story, starring Judi Dench (excellent of course - a
_slightly_ different part from her usual, though not very) and Steve
Coogan, playing a straight part (of Martin Sixsmith the journalist),
rather well too IMO.
I wasn't actually planning to watch anything on TV last night, but had
to wash the dishes so, to keep me occupied, I switched on the kitchen
telly, to find "Philomena" was on. I was gripped, and stayed sitting on
It is, isn't it. You watch through metaphorical slitted fingers at
times, as the character - brought up on Readers' Digest or worse (Mills
and Boon?) - is sometimes cringeworthy, but it's a well-put-together
account. (As anotherrat has said, not a happy story; don't watch it if
you want to be cheered up.)
Post by a l l y
the kitchen table (It's a big solid Victorian table, very good for
sitting on) until the film was over. I'm always sad to see stories of
evil nuns, because I grew up with some very good teachers from the
Sisters of Charity, as well as having an auntie in the Sisters of
Mercy. These were simply hardworking teachers who happened to have a
religious vocation. Some were lovely; some were, in our eyes, far too
That's cheering to know. (And the way it should be.)
Post by a l l y
strict, but none of them was evil. But I do know that these things went
on. I know people now - mainly in Ireland - who've seen the results
first hand, and it's horrible to hear about. The film was beautifully
done, so thanks for highlighting it. I probably wouldn't have bothered
watching if you hadn't recommended it.
That makes me feel really good! Yes, it's well done.

I thought Steve Coogan was unexpected, too; I'd always dismissed him
because of Alan Partridge. (Which character - though well done - I'd
always thought of as a one- or at most two-joke thing. Aha.)
Post by a l l y
ally
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
-- J. P. Gilliver. UMRA: 1960/<1985
You'll need to have this fish in your ear. (First series, fit the first.)
(Ah, I presume Windows Live Mail doesn't know about "-- " lines.)

... basically it's another language and unless you've studied it, it's
difficult to grasp. I know people get outraged at me saying it, but it's only
my opinion. I'm not telling people who adore Shakespeare to stop adoring it
this minute. - Jane Horrocks, in Radio Times 30 July - 5 August 2011
Mike
2020-06-21 15:29:05 UTC
Thanks so much for arranging the "drinks" meeting Sally - most
enjoyable! Lovely to see assorted UMRAts - I think we got up to 15? -
and their dogs and cats.
We had two screens of ninerats (and in our case, there was two in the one
box) allowing for several ‘drop-ins’ during the evening, I reckon we had 21
‘rats or more!

Well done, and thank you Sally for organising and MC’ing the event. We were
totally oblivious to goings on just two miles away - other than we had
heard the ‘Policopters’ buzzing about.