OT Refreshingly Independent
2018-11-09 11:06:55 UTC
Okay, I'll be honest, The Independent is in danger of being removed from
my morning tranche of daily newspaper reads for editorial reasons - I
think it has been going steadily downhill for a long time now - but the
most immediately annoying thing about it is the way it keeps refreshing
its article list and taking my cursor back to the top of the front page.

I get exactly the same effect regardless of reading device or browser
(Firefox, Chrome and Chromium). No other online newspaper does this to
me: they generally wait until I return from reading an article before
they refresh but then they still leave my cursor at approximately the
same position as before which is far less disorientating.

Is it just me? Is there a quick fix? A button I can press? The
continuing on-line readership of the Indie may depend on your answer!

Thanks,

2018-11-09 12:31:31 UTC
On Fri, 09 Nov 2018 11:06:55 +0000, Nick Odell wrote:

[Independent online reading woes]

You could try installing Opera as it might not do the same thing. Esp.
with the 'turbo' option.
2018-11-09 17:56:07 UTC
[Independent online reading woes]
You could try installing Opera as it might not do the same thing. Esp.
with the 'turbo' option.
Thanks. I know I can get Opera for Windows and Linux and will check to
see if it is available for Android.

Does any otherat read the Indie on line? If you do and you don't suffer
from the refreshing antics, couickld you give me a wave, please?

2018-11-09 18:17:37 UTC
On Fri, 9 Nov 2018 17:56:07 +0000, Nick Odell
Post by Nick Odell
Does any otherat read the Indie on line? If you do and you don't suffer
from the refreshing antics, couickld you give me a wave, please?
Totally useless response to your question!

Oddly, due to getting free [1] newspapers from Waitrose, I've gone
back to reading the print versions. Just ploughing through the film
reviews in today's G2.

I'm hoping that my increasing the print circulation numbers by 1 every
few days, real papers might stick around a while longer.

Plus I'm getting hacked off enough at the BBC to not bother so much
about their online news site.

[1] If you spend £10, including the price of a newspaper and a coffee,
you get the price of the newspaper and coffee taken off your bill. So
any time I want just over £6 of other stuff, I get a free paper with
my free lunchtime coffee.
2018-11-09 19:03:12 UTC
Does any otherat read the Indie on line? If you do and you don't suffer
from the refreshing antics, couickld you give me a wave, please?
I used to regularly read it (first offline and, more recently, online)
but gradually stopped reading it because the website was so poor. I
don't remember the exact problem you describe but it rarely seemed to
behave as I expected, or hoped.
Illness is neither an indulgence for which people have to pay, nor an
offence for which they should be penalised, but a misfortune, the cost
of which should be shared by the community. (Aneurin Bevan)
Hbunnet
2018-11-09 19:19:39 UTC
Does any otherat read the Indie on line? If you do and you don't
suffer from the refreshing antics, couickld you give me a wave, please?
I used to regularly read it (first offline and, more recently, online)
but gradually stopped reading it because the website was so poor.  I
don't remember the exact problem you describe but it rarely seemed to
behave as I expected, or hoped.
Nick, might I suggest the browser "Vivaldi?" It has a "reading mode"
which allows one to read the text without the extraneous formatting
around it.

It worked fine on the issue I looked at, but I am not a regular
Independent reader.

It's based on Chrome and is trying to fill the space "Opera" previously
inhabited.
Hbunnet
Nick Odell
2018-11-09 21:19:12 UTC
Post by Hbunnet
Does any otherat read the Indie on line? If you do and you don't
suffer from the refreshing antics, couickld you give me a wave, please?
I used to regularly read it (first offline and, more recently, online)
but gradually stopped reading it because the website was so poor.  I
don't remember the exact problem you describe but it rarely seemed to
behave as I expected, or hoped.
Nick, might I suggest the browser "Vivaldi?" It has a "reading mode"
which allows one to read the text without the extraneous formatting
around it.
It worked fine on the issue I looked at, but I am not a regular
Independent reader.
It's based on Chrome and is trying to fill the space "Opera" previously
inhabited.
Thanks. I'll check that out and try that too.

2018-11-09 20:27:46 UTC
[Independent online reading woes]
You could try installing Opera as it might not do the same thing. Esp.
with the 'turbo' option.
Thanks. I know I can get Opera for Windows and Linux and will check to
see if it is available for Android.
Does any otherat read the Indie on line? If you do and you don't suffer
from the refreshing antics, couickld you give me a wave, please?
I do - via (Windows) Opera - though not in turbo mode.
I have the same problem & dislike it just as much.

P.S. I sometimes read it via an Android phone (can't recall which
browser) and it does the same %^&*() thing there.

At least in Windows/Opera, I can click on the tab's header which takes
me back to the top of the page.
2018-11-10 01:52:39 UTC
On Fri, 9 Nov 2018 17:56:07 +0000, Nick Odell
[Independent online reading woes]
You could try installing Opera as it might not do the same thing. Esp.
with the 'turbo' option.
Thanks. I know I can get Opera for Windows and Linux and will check to
see if it is available for Android.
There are several varieties of Opera for Android

If I drive it carefully (open link in new tab and click [switch] then close
new tab when done - I think that's the method which works] it sometimes
stays put at where I've got to on my Facebook newsfeed but distressingly
often it refreshes the page and takes me to the top.
So I'm blaming the website, not the browser - it means I get to see all
those ads which pretend not to be (adblock being the default in Opera)
several times if I want to see what else everyone was up to since I last
looked.

Mined ewe, although I am still using Opera for some of the features I have
grown to love, it really isn't the great browser it once was - back around
v12 and earlier - since it became a Chrome-based entity :(
2018-11-10 13:27:12 UTC
Okay, I'll be honest, The Independent is in danger of being removed from
my morning tranche of daily newspaper reads for editorial reasons - I
think it has been going steadily downhill for a long time now - but the
most immediately annoying thing about it is the way it keeps refreshing
its article list and taking my cursor back to the top of the front page.
I get exactly the same effect regardless of reading device or browser
(Firefox, Chrome and Chromium). No other online newspaper does this to
me: they generally wait until I return from reading an article before
they refresh but then they still leave my cursor at approximately the
same position as before which is far less disorientating.
Is it just me? Is there a quick fix? A button I can press? The
continuing on-line readership of the Indie may depend on your answer!
Don't normally read it unless someone points me at an article, but just
tried and it does the same with me. Win 10, Chrome. Very irritating,
poor website design.
Nick Odell
2018-11-12 11:17:18 UTC
Okay, I'll be honest, The Independent is in danger of being removed from
my morning tranche of daily newspaper reads for editorial reasons - I
think it has been going steadily downhill for a long time now - but the
most immediately annoying thing about it is the way it keeps refreshing
its article list and taking my cursor back to the top of the front page.
I get exactly the same effect regardless of reading device or browser
(Firefox, Chrome and Chromium). No other online newspaper does this to
me: they generally wait until I return from reading an article before
they refresh but then they still leave my cursor at approximately the
same position as before which is far less disorientating.
Is it just me? Is there a quick fix? A button I can press? The
continuing on-line readership of the Indie may depend on your answer!
Thanks for all the suggestions. The short answer is that in
plain-vanilla-straight-out-of-the-box-and-any-other-mixed-metaphor-you-care-to-throw-in
mode, the bloomin' refresh just keeps on refreshing on all browsers on
Windows. There might be some tweaks in there to be discovered but I
haven't tried to tackle anything like that yet.

Vivaldi seems to be the lightest and fastest browser in the batch but is
so minimalistic that I haven't a clue what to do. Still, it does have a
tutorial which I'll go and take a look at later.

Opera appears to be a bit naughty: because I hadn't checked or unchecked
a box somewhere on p94 [1] it decided to become my default browser and
updated all file extensions to point to it. Took me a while to unpick that.

And Linux? Well, the version of Opera in the Mint Software Repository
ran all my usual sites without a murmur but refused point blank to load
the Indy site reporting that it was wrongly configured or something.

Says it all really.

Thanks so much: it's been an interesting exploration.

Nick
[1]I'm presuming it gave me an option not to do this somewhere...
steveski
2018-11-12 12:07:44 UTC
On Mon, 12 Nov 2018 11:17:18 +0000, Nick Odell wrote:

[Indy stuff]
Post by Nick Odell
And Linux? Well, the version of Opera in the Mint Software Repository
ran all my usual sites without a murmur but refused point blank to load
the Indy site reporting that it was wrongly configured or something.
Interesting. I just fired it up on my Linux Mint (19 Tara 64-bit, MATE
1.20.1) and had no probs with the site. Although I got the initial
installation from the repository, there is an option within Opera (can't
remember where atm) to keep the prog up to date which is compatible with
the OS i.e. the updates come down the line with the normal updates.
2018-11-12 13:12:48 UTC
[Indy stuff]
Post by Nick Odell
And Linux? Well, the version of Opera in the Mint Software Repository
ran all my usual sites without a murmur but refused point blank to load
the Indy site reporting that it was wrongly configured or something.
Interesting. I just fired it up on my Linux Mint (19 Tara 64-bit, MATE
1.20.1) and had no probs with the site. Although I got the initial
installation from the repository, there is an option within Opera (can't
remember where atm) to keep the prog up to date which is compatible with
the OS i.e. the updates come down the line with the normal updates.
Yes, well... On an if-it-ain't-broke-don't-fix-it basis I'm using Mint
17.2 & 17.3 (different machines) since they are both LTS versions which
still get regular updates.

The software repository is still offering Opera 12 - which doesn't seem
to have received any version updates since I put it on at the weekend -
though I know I could manually install an up-to-date version, I haven't
done so yet.

2018-11-12 15:24:42 UTC
[Indy stuff]
Post by Nick Odell
[...]
Just started a laptop with LM 17.3 Rosa 32-bit, MATE 1.12.0 on it (Opera
12.16, build 1860) and got what you're getting. I would suggest an
upgrade of the OS and/or one for Opera itself. Also look for the upgrade
sync for Opera that I mentioned - I can't remember whether this option is
available in the installation dialogue for Opera or within Opera itself.
2018-11-12 18:16:49 UTC
Yes, well... On an if-it-ain't-broke-don't-fix-it basis I'm using Mint
17.2 & 17.3 (different machines) since they are both LTS versions which
still get regular updates.
The software repository is still offering Opera 12 - which doesn't seem
to have received any version updates since I put it on at the weekend -
though I know I could manually install an up-to-date version, I haven't
done so yet.
Just started a laptop with LM 17.3 Rosa 32-bit, MATE 1.12.0 on it (Opera
12.16, build 1860) and got what you're getting. I would suggest an
upgrade of the OS and/or one for Opera itself. Also look for the upgrade
sync for Opera that I mentioned - I can't remember whether this option is
available in the installation dialogue for Opera or within Opera itself.
I must admit - perhaps a little contrary to the IIABDFI philosophy
mentioned above - that I had been thinking it might be about time to
move to a more up-to-date LTS version so maybe this is about the time.
Thanks for your inputs - and the efforts you've taken to make them. Much
appreciated.

2018-11-12 18:34:35 UTC
On Mon, 12 Nov 2018 18:16:49 +0000, Nick Odell wrote:

[Indy and Opera]
Post by Nick Odell
I must admit - perhaps a little contrary to the IIABDFI philosophy
mentioned above - that I had been thinking it might be about time to
move to a more up-to-date LTS version so maybe this is about the time.
Thanks for your inputs - and the efforts you've taken to make them. Much
appreciated.
Nullus anxietas, mate :-)
2018-11-12 16:52:50 UTC
Post by Nick Odell
[1]I'm presuming it gave me an option not to do this somewhere...
You mean like all the new banners that ask us to give permissions for
cookies, then take us to a page where it's entirely impossible to find
out that all they're telling you to do is change your browser settings
without telling you how to change your browser settings and there
isn't actually an option that says "No, I don't give you permission to
set cookies on my machine"?
2018-11-12 17:34:24 UTC
Post by Nick Odell
[1]I'm presuming it gave me an option not to do this somewhere...
You mean like all the new banners that ask us to give permissions for
cookies, then take us to a page where it's entirely impossible to find
out that all they're telling you to do is change your browser settings
without telling you how to change your browser settings and there
isn't actually an option that says "No, I don't give you permission to
set cookies on my machine"?
I recently answered a short questionnaire for Gritish Bas marketing people
about a Hive TRV product under consideration; because I have been in
communication with them on the subject, they requested my thoughts. When I
came to answer via survey monkey, they seemed far more interested in the
possible name for such a product than what it should do and how it may
enable better control of the ch system! In my own unique quirky style, I
answered the question in such a way that they could see that I didn’t give
a fig or a fart as to the name - but what the device could do for me!
2018-11-12 18:21:31 UTC
Post by Nick Odell
[1]I'm presuming it gave me an option not to do this somewhere...
You mean like all the new banners that ask us to give permissions for
cookies, then take us to a page where it's entirely impossible to find
out that all they're telling you to do is change your browser settings
without telling you how to change your browser settings and there
isn't actually an option that says "No, I don't give you permission to
set cookies on my machine"?
Yes. Like that. <grins through gritted teeth>

TBH I usually just hit "Yes" and let them get on with it.....

......but not before I've opened a Private Browser Window that I'm
confident will delete all that stuff when I close it.