UMRA birthday info for 29 January 2019
Birthday Monitor
2019-01-29 07:15:52 UTC
Birthday News for today, 29 January: Andrew Hodgson and Anne Burgess.
2019-01-30 09:27:01 UTC
Post by Birthday Monitor
Birthday News for today, 29 January: Andrew Hodgson and Anne Burgess.
Oh, this has only just popped up here! I hope you had a very happy
birthday yesterday, Anne, and that you're now having a happy unbirthday.
Teacher: Make up a sentence using the word centimetre?
Boy: My little sister was walking home, and I was centimetre.
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2019-01-30 09:56:58 UTC
Post by Birthday Monitor
Birthday News for today, 29 January: Andrew Hodgson and Anne Burgess.
Oh, this has only just popped up here! I hope you had a very happy
birthday yesterday, Anne, and that you're now having a happy unbirthday.
Yes, it's only just popped up here too! Odd, as BM seems to have posted
it early enough.

JPG
---

How about a three-way referendum, allowing second choices?
--
Ever been frustrated that you can't disagree with a petition? See 255soft.uk

"I'm tired of all this nonsense about beauty being only skin-deep. That's deep
enough. What do you want, an adorable pancreas?" - Jean Kerr
Sid Nuncius
2019-01-30 18:45:45 UTC
How about a three-way referendum, allowing second choices?
How about a glimpse of someone knowing what they're doing?

Sorry, but this is getting me down really badly now. I'm reminded of
the closing four words of Siegfried Sassoon's poem Attack.[1]

[1] https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poems/57323/attack-56d23aba391f5
in case it has temporarily slipped somerat's minds. Boodly good poem, IMO.
2019-01-30 19:16:04 UTC
How about a three-way referendum, allowing second choices?
How about a glimpse of someone knowing what they're doing?
It does have a strong feeling of Alice in Wonderland or Through the
Looking-Glass, doesn't it )-:.
Post by Sid Nuncius
Sorry, but this is getting me down really badly now. I'm reminded of
the closing four words of Siegfried Sassoon's poem Attack.[1]
Yes, but if it stops we'd get no-deal by default. (No, I don't have a
solution.)
Post by Sid Nuncius
[1] https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poems/57323/attack-56d23aba391f5
in case it has temporarily slipped somerat's minds. Boodly good poem, IMO.
A site that uses a lot of scripting etc., so won't work with my browser
of choice, but I did manage to read the poem by using the dreaded Chrome

We'd agreed to overlook each others' families and everything, and get married"
(The Trouble with Harry)
John Ashby
2019-01-30 19:30:06 UTC
How about a three-way referendum, allowing second choices?
How about a glimpse of someone knowing what they're doing?
There are plenty of people who know what they're doing, have a clear
vision of where they are heading and are expert negotiators. But they're
all working for the EU.

john
Dumrat
2019-01-31 06:45:59 UTC
How about a three-way referendum, allowing second choices?
How about a glimpse of someone knowing what they're doing?
There are plenty of people who know what they're doing, have a clear vision of where they
are heading and are expert negotiators. But they're all working for the EU.
Thanks for the wry laugh, John!
--
Salaam Alaykum,
Anne, Exceptionally Traditionally-built Dumrat
Dumrat
2019-01-31 06:45:20 UTC
How about a three-way referendum, allowing second choices?
How about a glimpse of someone knowing what they're doing?
Yes. A thousand times yes.
Post by Sid Nuncius
Sorry, but this is getting me down really badly now.  I'm reminded of the closing four
words of Siegfried Sassoon's poem Attack.[1]
[1] https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poems/57323/attack-56d23aba391f5
in case it has temporarily slipped somerat's minds.  Boodly good poem, IMO.
Despair rules in the Dumrat household. And we won't even have to suffer the consequences
ourselves, although I am worried for dorter's future in Manchester, I mean, she has a
British passport but a foreign name and two other different European passports too, so
she's pretty sus on the immigrant front. Also - hoarding food and medicine in anticipation
of March 30th? Martial rule? What on EARTH?

Stopping now. Sorry.
Sam Plusnet
2019-01-31 21:29:18 UTC
Post by Sid Nuncius
Sorry, but this is getting me down really badly now.  I'm reminded of
the closing four words of Siegfried Sassoon's poem Attack.[1]
[1] https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poems/57323/attack-56d23aba391f5
in case it has temporarily slipped somerat's minds.  Boodly good poem, IMO.
Despair rules in the Dumrat household. And we won't even have to suffer
the consequences ourselves, although I am worried for dorter's future in
Manchester, I mean, she has a British passport but a foreign name and
two other different European passports too, so she's pretty sus on the
immigrant front. Also - hoarding food and medicine in anticipation of
March 30th? Martial rule? What on EARTH?
Stopping now. Sorry.
Did you see the recent BBC article?

"Brexit: Unilever stockpiles Ben & Jerry's and Magnum ice creams"
2019-02-01 04:44:53 UTC
Post by Sid Nuncius
Sorry, but this is getting me down really badly now.  I'm reminded
of the closing four words of Siegfried Sassoon's poem Attack.[1]
[1] https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poems/57323/attack-56d23aba391f5
in case it has temporarily slipped somerat's minds.  Boodly good
poem, IMO.
Despair rules in the Dumrat household. And we won't even have to
suffer the consequences ourselves, although I am worried for dorter's
future in Manchester, I mean, she has a British passport but a
foreign name and two other different European passports too, so she's
pretty sus on the immigrant front. Also - hoarding food and medicine
in anticipation of March 30th? Martial rule? What on EARTH?
Stopping now. Sorry.
Did you see the recent BBC article?
"Brexit: Unilever stockpiles Ben & Jerry's and Magnum ice creams"
I thought Ben & Jerry's came from USA anyway?

I remember a lot of questions on a vocalist forum about the problems singing
"There is a balm in Gilead" without making it sound like a security alert. -
Linda Fox in UMRA, 2010-11-19
Nick Odell
2019-02-01 05:21:21 UTC
Post by Sid Nuncius
[...]
That's what they want you to think.

2019-02-01 08:18:56 UTC
On Fri, 1 Feb 2019 05:21:21 +0000, Nick Odell
Post by Sid Nuncius
[...]
Nick
The salted caramel one I have currently actually says very low
calories, less sugar, which is better for B with diabetes and me for
Weightwatchers. Many makes do reduced calorie ones now. They taste
fine.
Vicky Ayech
2019-02-01 08:17:32 UTC
On Fri, 1 Feb 2019 04:44:53 +0000, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
Post by Sid Nuncius
[...]
The tub in mky freezer has Rotterdam, Dublin and London addreses on
but doesn't say actually made in for any
Dumrat
Nick Leverton
2019-01-30 10:38:47 UTC
Post by Birthday Monitor
Birthday News for today, 29 January: Andrew Hodgson and Anne Burgess.
Oh, this has only just popped up here! I hope you had a very happy
birthday yesterday, Anne, and that you're now having a happy unbirthday.
My apologies to Anne and Andrew for the delay. The message was posted
in time, but innxmit was unable to connect to NIN to send it, and my
upload script apparently doesn't retry until a further article is posted.
I'll have to see if I can work out why.

Birthday Monitor
SODAM
2019-01-31 07:12:30 UTC
Post by Nick Leverton
Post by Serena Blanchflower
Post by Birthday Monitor
Birthday News for today, 29 January: Andrew Hodgson and Anne Burgess.
Oh, this has only just popped up here! I hope you had a very happy
birthday yesterday, Anne, and that you're now having a happy unbirthday.
My apologies to Anne and Andrew for the delay. The message was posted
in time, but innxmit was unable to connect to NIN to send it, and my
upload script apparently doesn't retry until a further article is posted.
I'll have to see if I can work out why.
Birthday Monitor
In a tardy, late response to the BM’s post, many good wishes for the year
ahead, Anne and Andrew.

Apologies for not “being there”[1] for you nearer the time. [2]

[1] That’s because I was being here.
[2]Doncha hate that expression? Apparently, Juliet was there for Romeo.
--
SODAM
The thinking umrat’s choice for editor
Sid Nuncius
2019-01-31 07:53:07 UTC
Post by SODAM
Apologies for not “being there”[1] for you nearer the time. [2]
[1] That’s because I was being here.
[2]Doncha hate that expression? Apparently, Juliet was there for Romeo.
What, pretending to be dead while her boyfriend kills himself? No
wonder I hate the expression, too.
2019-01-31 11:01:37 UTC
Post by SODAM
Apologies for not “being there”[1] for you nearer the time. [2]
[1] That’s because I was being here.
[2]Doncha hate that expression? Apparently, Juliet was there for Romeo.
What, pretending to be dead while her boyfriend kills himself?  No
wonder I hate the expression, too.
When you gonna realize it was just that the time was wrong?

2019-01-31 18:28:46 UTC
Post by SODAM
Apologies for not “being there”[1] for you nearer the time. [2]
[1] That’s because I was being here.
[2]Doncha hate that expression? Apparently, Juliet was there for Romeo.
What, pretending to be dead while her boyfriend kills himself?  No
wonder I hate the expression, too.
When you gonna realize it was just that the time was wrong?
You shouldn't come around here singin' up at people like that - and
anyway, what you gonna do about it?
2019-01-31 21:31:19 UTC
Post by SODAM
Apologies for not “being there”[1] for you nearer the time. [2]
[1] That’s because I was being here.
[2]Doncha hate that expression? Apparently, Juliet was there for Romeo.
What, pretending to be dead while her boyfriend kills himself?  No
wonder I hate the expression, too.
When you gonna realize it was just that the time was wrong?
You shouldn't come around here singin' up at people like that - and
anyway, what you gonna do about it?
Frankly my Dear, I don't give a wherefore.
2019-02-01 06:02:03 UTC
Post by SODAM
Apologies for not “being there”[1] for you nearer the time. [2]
[1] That’s because I was being here.
[2]Doncha hate that expression? Apparently, Juliet was there for Romeo.
What, pretending to be dead while her boyfriend kills himself?  No
wonder I hate the expression, too.
When you gonna realize it was just that the time was wrong?
You shouldn't come around here singin' up at people like that - and
anyway, what you gonna do about it?
Frankly my Dear, I don't give a wherefore.
But when he put his arms around her he said, "Julie, baby, you're my
flame - you giveth fever."
2019-02-01 06:23:48 UTC
Post by SODAM
Apologies for not “being there”[1] for you nearer the time. [2]
[1] That’s because I was being here.
[2]Doncha hate that expression? Apparently, Juliet was there for Romeo.
What, pretending to be dead while her boyfriend kills himself?  No
wonder I hate the expression, too.
When you gonna realize it was just that the time was wrong?
You shouldn't come around here singin' up at people like that - and
anyway, what you gonna do about it?
Frankly my Dear, I don't give a wherefore.
But when he put his arms around her he said, "Julie, baby, you're my
flame - you giveth fever."
Twas in a restaurant that they met
Romeo & Juliet
He had no cash to pay the debt
So Rome-owed what Juli-eat

(Atr. Giles Brandreth but my dad said it first)
2019-02-01 06:32:10 UTC
Post by SODAM
Apologies for not “being there”[1] for you nearer the time. [2]
[1] That’s because I was being here.
[2]Doncha hate that expression? Apparently, Juliet was there for Romeo.
What, pretending to be dead while her boyfriend kills himself?  No
wonder I hate the expression, too.
When you gonna realize it was just that the time was wrong?
You shouldn't come around here singin' up at people like that - and
anyway, what you gonna do about it?
Frankly my Dear, I don't give a wherefore.
But when he put his arms around her he said, "Julie, baby, you're my
flame - you giveth fever."
Twas in a restaurant that they met
Romeo & Juliet
He had no cash to pay the debt
So Rome-owed what Juli-eat
(Atr. Giles Brandreth but my dad said it first)
Nick
PS Is it worth inserting here that for the past two days I've had an
incessant Dobro guitar riff earworm? Not that I think that A Bad Thing.

2019-02-01 07:11:53 UTC
PS Is it worth inserting here that for the past two days I've had an
incessant Dobro guitar riff earworm? Not that I think that A Bad Thing.
Most definitely worth inserting. What's the riff?

(Health permitting, I shall be at the Barbican on Tuesday for this
year's Transatlantic Sessions, where I'm sure Jerry Douglas will implant
a number of Dobro earworms.)
2019-02-01 08:06:15 UTC
PS Is it worth inserting here that for the past two days I've had an
incessant Dobro guitar riff earworm? Not that I think that A Bad Thing.
Most definitely worth inserting.  What's the riff?
Just the Romeo and Juliet intro. Over and over and over and...[1]
(Health permitting, I shall be at the Barbican on Tuesday for this
year's Transatlantic Sessions, where I'm sure Jerry Douglas will implant
a number of Dobro earworms.)
How super! Am I right in thinking that the television series[2] morphed
into a concert series that doesn't get quite the same airplay? I was
going to ask you who was on the bill until I realised I could find out
for myself...

...Quite a line up. It should be good and I hope you get there- I wonder
if it might be broadcast at some point?

Nick
[1]Except when I'm getting ready to go out when Warren Zevon's "Money,
Keys and Bus Pass" (with all the actions) helpfully cuts in to make sure
I can get where I'm going, get back in again afterwards and get what
I've gone for while I'm there.
[2]I have the videos and still watch them from time to time
Sid Nuncius
2019-02-01 08:20:10 UTC
[...]
D'oh! Of course it's that riff. Apologies for my slowness of wit.

And yes, that's the series. I have the CDs but not the videos, although
they're available on YouTube, I think. They don't seem to broadcast the
concerts nowadays, which is a terrible shame. Last year's was
excellent, with Julie Fowlis and The Secret Sisters as special
highlights. And it was a pleasure to see the great Danny Thompson
again, getting on for 50 years after I first saw him with Pentangle when
he was exceptionally nice and very kind to the gauche and probably
irritating young teenager who knocked on the dressing room door and
asked for autographs. He went and got the band to sign my programme. I
still have it, along with an enduring affection for Mr Thompson.

I shall adopt the Zevon mantra forthwith. One of my favourite WZ songs
- although I like all of that album very much[1]. Can't say the same
for any of his others, sadly.

[1]With the possible exception of Nighttime In The Switching Yard, which
has never done anything for me.
2019-02-01 08:42:35 UTC
[...]
Shame they have stopped broadcasting them. The coverage was
always patchy, and CDs from some of them only appeared a lot
later. I think I managed to record all that were transmitted.

***@cdixon.me.uk
2019-02-01 09:37:19 UTC
[1]Except when I'm getting ready to go out when Warren Zevon's "Money,
Keys and Bus Pass" (with all the actions) helpfully cuts in to make sure
I can get where I'm going, get back in again afterwards and get what
I've gone for while I'm there.
For some bizarre reason I've now got an endless loop of Robbie Coltrane
and "spectacles, testicles, wallet and watch."
http://jennygenes.blogspot.co.uk/
Nick Odell
2019-02-01 09:46:06 UTC
[1]Except when I'm getting ready to go out when Warren Zevon's "Money,
Keys and Bus Pass" (with all the actions) helpfully cuts in to make
sure I can get where I'm going, get back in again afterwards and get
what I've gone for while I'm there.
For some bizarre reason I've now got an endless loop of Robbie Coltrane
and "spectacles, testicles, wallet and watch."
Yup. It's the same principle. (Great film that, wasn't it?)

2019-02-01 11:11:19 UTC
[1]Except when I'm getting ready to go out when Warren Zevon's
"Money, Keys and Bus Pass" (with all the actions) helpfully cuts in
to make sure I can get where I'm going, get back in again afterwards
and get what I've gone for while I'm there.
For some bizarre reason I've now got an endless loop of Robbie
Coltrane and "spectacles, testicles, wallet and watch."
Yup. It's the same principle. (Great film that, wasn't it?)
I'm realising that "Head, shoulder, knees ans toes" is a checklist for
old age:

Head: Have you combed your hair?
Shoulders: Have you put your shirt on?
Knees: Ditto trousers?
Toes: and shoes?

Eyes: Specs?
Ears: Hearing aid? (Pardon?)
Mouth: You really should have brushed your teeth by now.
Nose: And take a clean hanky with you.

2019-02-01 11:34:42 UTC
[1]Except when I'm getting ready to go out when Warren Zevon's
"Money, Keys and Bus Pass" (with all the actions) helpfully cuts in
to make sure I can get where I'm going, get back in again afterwards
and get what I've gone for while I'm there.
For some bizarre reason I've now got an endless loop of Robbie
Coltrane and "spectacles, testicles, wallet and watch."
Yup. It's the same principle. (Great film that, wasn't it?)
I'm realising that "Head, shoulder, knees ans toes" is a checklist for
Head: Have you combed your hair?
Shoulders: Have you put your shirt on?
Knees: Ditto trousers?
Toes: and shoes?
Eyes: Specs?
Ears: Hearing aid? (Pardon?)
Mouth: You really should have brushed your teeth by now.
Nose: And take a clean hanky with you.
john
However, forgetting one’s testicles is rather more serious.
SODAM
2019-02-01 15:19:49 UTC
[...]
Ball*cks. I’ve never had a problem with that.
BrritSki
2019-02-01 15:30:27 UTC
Post by SODAM
[...]
Poor old Johnny got his caught in a gate.

Oh sorry, that was a bullock.
Mike
2019-02-01 16:39:33 UTC
Post by SODAM
[...]
Ermm ..., does the ‘*’ represent an ‘i’?;-)))
2019-02-01 16:54:27 UTC
Post by SODAM
[...]
Give him a biscuit...

SODAM
2019-02-01 22:49:59 UTC
Post by SODAM
[...]
It’s in the eye of the beholder.
Nick Odell
2019-02-01 12:31:50 UTC
I'm realising that "Head, shoulder, knees ans toes" is a checklist for
Head: Have you combed your hair?
Shoulders: Have you put your shirt on?
Knees: Ditto trousers?
Toes: and shoes?
Make that: a Matching Pair of shoes...

2019-02-01 12:34:36 UTC
I'm realising that "Head, shoulder, knees ans toes" is a checklist for
Head: Have you combed your hair?
Shoulders: Have you put your shirt on?
Knees: Ditto trousers?
Toes: and shoes?
Make that: a Matching Pair of shoes...
Nick
Oh Posh! You have a matching pair???

2019-02-01 09:25:02 UTC
Post by SODAM
Apologies for not “being there”[1] for you nearer the time. [2]
[1] That’s because I was being here.
[2]Doncha hate that expression? Apparently, Juliet was there for Romeo.
What, pretending to be dead while her boyfriend kills himself?  No
wonder I hate the expression, too.
When you gonna realize it was just that the time was wrong?
You shouldn't come around here singin' up at people like that - and
anyway, what you gonna do about it?
Frankly my Dear, I don't give a wherefore.
Damn your art thoughs!
2019-01-30 09:49:18 UTC
Many happy returns, Anne and Andrew.
Chris McMillan
2019-01-30 10:41:29 UTC
Post by Birthday Monitor
Birthday News for today, 29 January: Andrew Hodgson and Anne Burgess.
Many happy returns, Anne and Andrew.
I saw a mention elsewhere about Andrew the other day. He’s a top dog
(forget if its CEO though) in the National Federation of the Blind UK.

2019-01-30 10:26:03 UTC
Post by Birthday Monitor
Birthday News for today, 29 January: Andrew Hodgson and Anne Burgess.
Very many happy returns of yesterday, Anne!
http://jennygenes.blogspot.co.uk/
steveski
2019-01-30 18:28:22 UTC
Post by Birthday Monitor
Birthday News for today, 29 January: Andrew Hodgson and Anne Burgess.
Happy birthday, Anne.
2019-01-30 18:38:51 UTC
Post by Birthday Monitor
Birthday News for today, 29 January: Andrew Hodgson and Anne Burgess.
Happy birthday, Anne.
Will the neighbourhood ‘rock’ tonight Anne?