Ask EU: Coax cable
2020-08-25 16:29:28 UTC
Need to get a new cable to link an old pvr to an old tv. Got confused
by the descriptions. Do I need one that's male at both ends or male and
female?

TIA.
Wrexham, UK
John Ashby
2020-08-25 16:56:16 UTC
Need to get a new cable to link an old pvr to an old tv.  Got confused
by the descriptions.  Do I need one that's male at both ends or male and
female?
TIA.
IME male is for signal in, female for signal out. The run I wouls expect is:

Aerial -------M PVR F-------M TV.

Hope that makes sense.

john
Flop
2020-08-25 20:03:51 UTC
Need to get a new cable to link an old pvr to an old tv.  Got confused
by the descriptions.  Do I need one that's male at both ends or male
and female?
TIA.
Aerial -------M PVR F-------M TV.
Hope that makes sense.
john
I am not sure how old your PVR is. The usual way of connecting PVR to TV
is with an HDMI cable.

You can connect the aerial as suggested by John using the LOOP OUT coax
socket. This tends not to give as good a signal but does have the
advantage that you can watch one programme live (LOOP OUT) whilst
recording another with the PVR.

ps the LOOP OUT option may need to be powered up by the PVR which
increases the power consumption and upsets the EU :-(
--
Flop

Truly the Good Lord gave us computers that we might learn patience
Jenny M Benson
2020-08-25 20:55:32 UTC
Post by Flop
Post by John Ashby
Hope that makes sense.
It does, thank you.
Post by Flop
I am not sure how old your PVR is. The usual way of connecting PVR to TV
is with an HDMI cable.
Too old to have HDMI, I think. It's only an
occasional-use-in-the-bedroom setup as I have a PVR and Amazon Fire
Stick in the living room which fulfil most needs.
Wrexham, UK
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2020-08-25 21:23:54 UTC
Need to get a new cable to link an old pvr to an old tv.  Got
confused by the descriptions.  Do I need one that's male at both ends
or male and female?
TIA.
Aerial -------M PVR F-------M TV.
Hope that makes sense.
john
Assuming you mean aerial lead, yes. If either VCR or TV are old enough
that they don't have anything other than aerial, that is; otherwise I'd
use SCART (the squarish one with 21 pins including the frame) or phono
(usually yellow for video, and red and white-or-black for audio); if one
has SCART and one phono, you can get leads with one on one end and the
other on the other, or adapters (remember to check directionality of the
adapter if it doesn't have a switch). In theory, these will give better
quality - though you probably wouldn't actually perceive the difference
in the picture (you will get stereo sound, though, if of course the VCR
_is_ stereo).

If you do have to use aerial, then john is right - you need female (VCR)
to male (TV); I've noticed a lot of "TV extension lead"s these days are
male-to-male, but come with a back-to-back female adapter you can put on
one end if needed (as it would be).

Of course, you don't have any need to connect the aerial to either, as
neither will have a FreeView receiver built in (unless the VCR is the
one obscure make that did [I forget the name of the make - I think it
was something like EyePal. They went bust, anyway]).

I don't have an agree that our language torture is a quality add
- soldiersailor on Gransnet, 2018-3-8
Tony Smith Gloucestershire
2020-08-25 21:29:54 UTC
<Classicist mode>
When I see the word "coax" I am reminded of what Gilbert calls the "croaking chorus from the 'Frogs' of Aristophanes."
</Classicist mode>
Peter
2020-08-25 21:51:53 UTC
Post by Tony Smith Gloucestershire
<Classicist mode>
When I see the word "coax" I am reminded of what Gilbert calls the "croaking chorus from the 'Frogs' of Aristophanes."
</Classicist mode>
So I'm not the only one to have

Brekekekex koax koax

earworming away all evening?