OT: Christmas tree rental
2019-11-11 23:27:15 UTC
Anyone know of companies that do this, in (or delivering
to/re-collecting from) the Newcastle area?

(The idea is to have a real living tree, in a pot, but not the hardship
of trying to keep it alive during the year. The media tell us each year
that the idea is getting more popular, but try finding a company that
does it. [Especially within range of the upper Tyne valley and Kielder
forest, all in the business of selling cut trees.])

I'd rather trust the guys in the lab coats who aren't demanding that I get up
early on Sundays to apologize for being human.
-- Captain Splendid (quoted by "The Real Bev" in mozilla.general, 2014-11-16)
Mike
2019-11-12 09:46:16 UTC
Anyone know of companies that do this, in (or delivering
to/re-collecting from) the Newcastle area?
(The idea is to have a real living tree, in a pot, but not the hardship
of trying to keep it alive during the year. The media tell us each year
that the idea is getting more popular, but try finding a company that
does it. [Especially within range of the upper Tyne valley and Kielder
forest, all in the business of selling cut trees.])
IIRC Jpeg, did you not mention this last year?
2019-11-12 13:06:17 UTC
Anyone know of companies that do this, in (or delivering
to/re-collecting from) the Newcastle area?
(The idea is to have a real living tree, in a pot, but not the hardship
of trying to keep it alive during the year. The media tell us each year
that the idea is getting more popular, but try finding a company that
does it. [Especially within range of the upper Tyne valley and Kielder
forest, all in the business of selling cut trees.])
IIRC Jpeg, did you not mention this last year?
Quite likely. I hope I'm thinking of it earlier this year. However, I'll
refrain from it here, unless otherrats add to the thread.

A biochemist walks into a student bar and says to the barman: "I'd like a pint
of adenosine triphosphate, please." "Certainly," says the barman, "that'll be
ATP." (Quoted in) The Independent, 2013-7-13
BrritSki
2019-11-12 13:45:19 UTC
<https://christmastreesdirect.co.uk/collections/pot-grown-christmas-trees>

Seems to be what you want...
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2019-11-12 14:04:20 UTC
Anyone know of companies that do this, in (or delivering
to/re-collecting from) the Newcastle area?
(The idea is to have a real living tree, in a pot, but not the hardship
of trying to keep it alive during the year. The media tell us each year
that the idea is getting more popular, but try finding a company that
does it. [Especially within range of the upper Tyne valley and Kielder
forest, all in the business of selling cut trees.])
IIRC Jpeg, did you not mention this last year?
Quite likely. I hope I'm thinking of it earlier this year. However,
I'll refrain from it here, unless otherrats add to the thread.
<https://christmastreesdirect.co.uk/collections/pot-grown-christmas-trees>
Seems to be what you want...
Thanks; noted. But not _quite_ what I'm after: they do the delivery bit,
which is half of it, but I see no mention of them collecting afterwards:
it's a sale, not a rental.

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that
may never be questioned.
BrritSki
Oh, iswym now. Sorry.
Joe Kerr
2019-11-14 23:40:20 UTC
Anyone know of companies that do this, in (or delivering
to/re-collecting from) the Newcastle area?
(The idea is to have a real living tree, in a pot, but not the hardship
of trying to keep it alive during the year. The media tell us each year
that the idea is getting more popular, but try finding a company that
does it. [Especially within range of the upper Tyne valley and Kielder
forest, all in the business of selling cut trees.])
IIRC Jpeg, did you not mention this last year?
Quite likely. I hope I'm thinking of it earlier this year. However,
I'll  refrain from it here, unless otherrats add to the thread.
<https://christmastreesdirect.co.uk/collections/pot-grown-christmas-trees>
Seems to be what you want...
Thanks; noted. But not _quite_ what I'm after: they do the delivery bit,
it's a sale, not a rental.
I think I binned something the other day from a national charity
offering to collect Christmas trees. I think it was more likely for
disposal than nurturing until the next year, but presumably with an
element of income generating. I can't remember who it was and so far Mr
Google has let me down. Charities I have come in contact with in the
last couple of weeks would be British Heart Foundation, Alzheimer's,
Operation Smile, Crisis at Christmas, RSPB, Bowel Cancer, Age UK, and
maybe Carers UK. A Google for christmas tree collection brings up a
number of things that might be of interest.
Ric
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2019-11-15 10:45:18 UTC
Post by Joe Kerr
<https://christmastreesdirect.co.uk/collections/pot-grown-christmas-tr
Seems to be what you want...
Thanks; noted. But not _quite_ what I'm after: they do the delivery
bit, which is half of it, but I see no mention of them collecting
afterwards: it's a sale, not a rental.
I think I binned something the other day from a national charity
offering to collect Christmas trees. I think it was more likely for
disposal than nurturing until the next year, but presumably with an
element of income generating. I can't remember who it was and so far Mr
Google has let me down. Charities I have come in contact with in the
last couple of weeks would be British Heart Foundation, Alzheimer's,
Operation Smile, Crisis at Christmas, RSPB, Bowel Cancer, Age UK, and
maybe Carers UK. A Google for christmas tree collection brings up a
number of things that might be of interest.
Background: the folks I spend Christmas with like a real tree (being
blind, I guess the smell is nice for them). They are fortunate in that
the local authority has a tree dumping point very near their house. They
have in the past tried a pot tree, but been unable to keep it alive
through the summer - combination of not knowing too much about tree
care, and really only having a small south-facing yard, which I think
gets very hot in summer, and basically fried the tree. They like (as I
do) the idea of tree rental (where the company delivers a tree in a pot
in December, and takes it away in January), rather than a cut tree that
has to be thrown away.

I presume the council - and the charities you mention - take the dead
trees and turn them into chippings and fertilizer; fairly "green" I
suppose, but if we can avoid a tree having to be cut at all, we would
like that more.

Sneering doesn't become either the human face or the human soul.
Professor Henry Higgins (in Pygmalion, by George Bernard Shaw)
Joe Kerr
2019-11-19 13:51:25 UTC
Post by Joe Kerr
[...]
I quite concur. We had a real tree for many years until it died. It was
replaced by a stylised tree like structure made by my father (the perils
of a creative in the family) until we got tired of it and they moved to
an artificial one. This year it might be an empty space in the corner
where a tree would stand if anyone actually cared enough to set one up
and I weren't the only member of the family able to get to the shops to
buy anybody a present to put under it.

I'm guessing you wouldn't be interested in
www.bloomandwild.com/send-flowers/tagonly/christmas-trees. It is
possible to get Christmas tree scent sprays if you want the scent but
need to resort to a plastic tree.
Ric
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2019-11-19 17:43:37 UTC
Post by Joe Kerr
think gets very hot in summer, and basically fried the tree. They
like (as I do) the idea of tree rental (where the company delivers a
tree in a pot in December, and takes it away in January), rather than
a cut tree that has to be thrown away.
[]
Post by Joe Kerr
I quite concur. We had a real tree for many years until it died. It was
replaced by a stylised tree like structure made by my father (the
perils of a creative in the family) until we got tired of it and they
moved to an artificial one. This year it might be an empty space in the
corner where a tree would stand if anyone actually cared enough to set
one up and I weren't the only member of the family able to get to the
shops to buy anybody a present to put under it.
Julia likes to have a tree. (Sorry to hear re your family's condition.)
Post by Joe Kerr
I'm guessing you wouldn't be interested in
www.bloomandwild.com/send-flowers/tagonly/christmas-trees. It is
possible to get Christmas tree
Thanks for the link. No, she likes to put her own decorations on - and
has enough that a large tree is needed.
Post by Joe Kerr
scent sprays if you want the scent but need to resort to a plastic
tree.
I would, and I think Frank would. Julia likes a real one; and what Julia
likes, Julia gets. (No, she doesn't rule with a rule of iron; we just
like to spoil her.)

half the lies they tell about me aren't true. - Yogi Berra
Sam Plusnet
2019-11-19 20:50:21 UTC
Post by Joe Kerr
I quite concur. We had a real tree for many years until it died. It was
replaced by a stylised tree like structure made by my father (the perils
of a creative in the family) until we got tired of it and they moved to
an artificial one. This year it might be an empty space in the corner
where a tree would stand if anyone actually cared enough to set one up
and I weren't the only member of the family able to get to the shops to
buy anybody a present to put under it.
WIWAL, the area we lived in had many families with children around the
same age.

There were a fair few conifers to be seen in gardens, which were
obviously Christmas trees which had outlived, and outgrown, their
utility in that role.
2019-11-20 08:57:50 UTC
Post by Joe Kerr
I quite concur. We had a real tree for many years until it died. It was
replaced by a stylised tree like structure made by my father (the perils
of a creative in the family) until we got tired of it and they moved to
an artificial one. This year it might be an empty space in the corner
where a tree would stand if anyone actually cared enough to set one up
and I weren't the only member of the family able to get to the shops to
buy anybody a present to put under it.
WIWAL, the area we lived in had many families with children around the
same age.
There were a fair few conifers to be seen in gardens, which were
obviously Christmas trees which had outlived, and outgrown, their
utility in that role.
My brother wandered away from the car and into the woods one day and
returned shortly after with a Christmas tree about 4 foot or so in height.
That tree was placed and decorated in the living room that December. In the
following January, the tree was planted in the back garden where it
flourished over the years growing taller and taller. Some 50 years or so
later it received its’ second visit from a tree surgeon and this time it
was not just to shorten by about 20 feet or so as in the case of the first
visit but to chop it down to a mere 4 foot high stump that my Mum’s garden
owl ornament could sit on. I reckon that previous to that second lot of
surgery, the tree was some 40-45 feet tall towering above the roof tops.
Disposal involved quite a lot of chopping and filled a very large skip!
2019-11-20 10:08:01 UTC
WIWAL, the area we lived in had many families with children around the
same age.
There were a fair few conifers to be seen in gardens, which were
obviously Christmas trees which had outlived, and outgrown, their
utility in that role.
My brother wandered away from the car and into the woods one day and
returned shortly after with a Christmas tree about 4 foot or so in height.
That tree was placed and decorated in the living room that December. In the
following January, the tree was planted in the back garden where it
flourished over the years growing taller and taller. Some 50 years or so
[]
My friends have at least once - twice I think - tried a pot tree, but
failed to keep it alive. They just have a tiny north-facing garden, no
real room for a tree in a pot, and a south-facing long narrow yard,
which gets scorching hot in summer, where it would be difficult to keep
it from being roasted: https://goo.gl/maps/G68efnTNfHV7SjGK7 . Hence my
interest in tree rental.

Veni, Vidi, Vera (I came, I saw, we'll meet again) - Mik from S+AS Limited
(***@saslimited.demon.co.uk), 1998
Penny
2019-11-20 12:49:15 UTC
On Wed, 20 Nov 2019 10:08:01 +0000, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
My friends have at least once - twice I think - tried a pot tree, but
failed to keep it alive. They just have a tiny north-facing garden, no
real room for a tree in a pot, and a south-facing long narrow yard,
which gets scorching hot in summer, where it would be difficult to keep
it from being roasted: https://goo.gl/maps/G68efnTNfHV7SjGK7 . Hence my
interest in tree rental.
When I was a child we always had a little tree in a pot. A great
disappointment to me because in films and on TV as well as in the houses of
friends, Christmas trees were huge and I felt we had plenty of space in the
house for a big one.

I think my mother had something against them - she was an active Christian,
perhaps she felt they were too pagan. The whole house was decorated though
with sprigs of holly over every picture and paper chains and those magical
big paper balls and bells - the sort that fold flat - everywhere. At school
they painted winter scenes on the windows at Christmas and I was allowed to
do the same on my bedroom window.

She was a great gardener and we had a large garden but the potted Christmas
tree was never planted outside.
2019-11-20 12:55:23 UTC
(By the way - nothing heard so far from the company an UMRAt suggested,
and I on-line chatted to and they raised a ticket. Don't think I'm going
to. Have done a bit more digging this morning - found a few companies,
but all in the southern half of the country.)

In message <***@4ax.com>, Penny
<***@labyrinth.freeuk.com> writes:
When I was a child we always had a little tree in a pot. A great
She was a great gardener and we had a large garden but the potted Christmas
tree was never planted outside.
"Always" implies at least two Christmasses: what happened to it in the
meantime: was it kept indoors in between, or - despite being in a pot -
disposed of and replaced each year?

I like to think of her as Mary Poppins's evil twin - Michelle Gomez, on the
character "Missy" (female version of the Master?) she plays in Doctor Who
[RT 2017/6/24-30]
Penny
2019-11-21 10:41:20 UTC
On Wed, 20 Nov 2019 12:55:23 +0000, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
(By the way - nothing heard so far from the company an UMRAt suggested,
and I on-line chatted to and they raised a ticket. Don't think I'm going
to. Have done a bit more digging this morning - found a few companies,
but all in the southern half of the country.)
When I was a child we always had a little tree in a pot. A great
She was a great gardener and we had a large garden but the potted Christmas
tree was never planted outside.
"Always" implies at least two Christmasses: what happened to it in the
meantime: was it kept indoors in between, or - despite being in a pot -
disposed of and replaced each year?
It was disposed of.
Trees don't survive well in alternately warm/cold houses.
2019-11-21 21:52:57 UTC
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
(By the way - nothing heard so far from the company an UMRAt suggested,
and I on-line chatted to and they raised a ticket. Don't think I'm going
to. Have done a bit more digging this morning - found a few companies,
but all in the southern half of the country.)
When I was a child we always had a little tree in a pot. A great
She was a great gardener and we had a large garden but the potted Christmas
tree was never planted outside.
"Always" implies at least two Christmasses: what happened to it in the
meantime: was it kept indoors in between, or - despite being in a pot -
disposed of and replaced each year?
It was disposed of.
Trees don't survive well in alternately warm/cold houses.
We had a little Christmas tree in a tub that came in in December and
went out again in January. It survived pretty well. But then it was
the 1950s and there was never any danger of the house becoming
alternately warm!

2019-11-22 16:45:37 UTC
On Thu, 21 Nov 2019 21:52:57 +0000, Nick Odell
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
[...]
We had fires in the downstairs rooms, the one the Christmas tree stood in
(on a table) had a gas fire lit as and when required
2019-11-20 11:10:34 UTC
Post by Joe Kerr
[...]
After a few years of pine needles lasting all year I planted the tree
that year out in the front garden in January and from then on we
decorated it there. We had holly etc indoors but the tree outside and
lights around the little shelter over the front door.
Chris McMillan
2019-11-12 16:52:53 UTC
Anyone know of companies that do this, in (or delivering
to/re-collecting from) the Newcastle area?
(The idea is to have a real living tree, in a pot, but not the hardship
of trying to keep it alive during the year. The media tell us each year
that the idea is getting more popular, but try finding a company that
does it. [Especially within range of the upper Tyne valley and Kielder
forest, all in the business of selling cut trees.])
IIRC Jpeg, did you not mention this last year?
Calling SODAM, our resident Tyne-rat.

Sincerely Chris
SODAM
2019-11-23 14:25:22 UTC
Calling SODAM, our resident Tyne-rat.
<peering over top of Cardboardbox Mountain

Yoo hoo Chris!

I’m afraid I opted for an artificial tree some time ago so have no
knowledge of how real tree things work here. I have gradually realised, to
my horror, that I left the city thirty five years ago and any residual
knowledge of it is more often misleading than helpful.

Anyway, I have some umratic news. I shall be dining with Mr Btms on Sunday
(tomorrow). He has recently begun to visit the city on business and we will
be able to meet on those occasions now. North Northumberland was just a
step too far away.

I hope to scale down Cardboardbox Mountain soon. The joiner is here today,
mantling two wardrobes, three new bookcases and an outdoor storage chest.
Once there is somewhere to put it all, deboxing should be child’s play.
Until then, I am mostly lurking.
--
SODAM
The thinking umrat’s choice for editor
Chris McMillan
2019-11-23 14:35:04 UTC
Post by SODAM
Post by Chris McMillan
[...]
Combined wishes from us all to Mr BTMS. I hope you’ve got some suitable
choccie lined up, SODAM!

2019-11-23 14:53:42 UTC
On Sat, 23 Nov 2019 14:25:22 +0000, SODAM <***@talktalk.net> scrawled in
the dust...
Post by SODAM
I hope to scale down Cardboardbox Mountain soon. The joiner is here today,
mantling two wardrobes, three new bookcases and an outdoor storage chest.
Once there is somewhere to put it all, deboxing should be child’s play.
It fascinates me that one's wordily goods take up far more space when
packed into boxes than they do when stored in furniture designed to hold
them.
I brought two dismantled bookcases and many boxes of books back from my
father's house. Chaos ensued as I emptied and shifted various bits of my
existing furniture, mantled and sited the new bookcases and distributed
books amongst them.

I still seem to have several boxes of unhoused books but, after an initial
perusal to decide which I wanted to keep on the shelves, they have stood,
stacked in the corner where I tell myself they are not really in the way,
for over 5 years now.

I must take up ebay selling again.
2019-11-15 09:15:20 UTC
https://www.ambius.co.uk/ have a branch in Newcastle.
http://jennygenes.blogspot.co.uk/
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2019-11-15 11:00:19 UTC
Anyone know of companies that do this, in (or delivering
to/re-collecting from) the Newcastle area?
(The idea is to have a real living tree, in a pot, but not the
hardship of trying to keep it alive during the year. The media tell
us each year that the idea is getting more popular, but try finding a
company that does it. [Especially within range of the upper Tyne
valley and Kielder forest, all in the business of selling cut trees.])
--
https://www.ambius.co.uk/ have a branch in Newcastle.
Thanks! Looking at their website one would think they only do decorated
trees for offices etc., but I've just had an online chat, and they're
going to send me details. Though as it involved raising "Ticket number
153207", I suspect they aren't _really_ set up for it; we'll see!

"The problem with socialism is that you eventually run out of other people's
money."
Penny
2019-11-16 09:02:37 UTC
On Fri, 15 Nov 2019 11:00:19 +0000, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
Anyone know of companies that do this, in (or delivering
to/re-collecting from) the Newcastle area?
(The idea is to have a real living tree, in a pot, but not the
hardship of trying to keep it alive during the year. The media tell
us each year that the idea is getting more popular, but try finding a
company that does it. [Especially within range of the upper Tyne
valley and Kielder forest, all in the business of selling cut trees.])
--
https://www.ambius.co.uk/ have a branch in Newcastle.
Thanks! Looking at their website one would think they only do decorated
trees for offices etc., but I've just had an online chat, and they're
going to send me details. Though as it involved raising "Ticket number
153207", I suspect they aren't _really_ set up for it; we'll see!
Don't be put off by high ticket numbers.
The (free) software we use generates seemingly random numbers for tickets
and every piece of Chinese* spam gets one.

*Other nationalities too of course but far more trying to sell us Chinese
widgets than Russian brides just lately.
Clive Arthur
2019-11-15 10:31:16 UTC
Anyone know of companies that do this, in (or delivering
to/re-collecting from) the Newcastle area?
(The idea is to have a real living tree, in a pot, but not the hardship
of trying to keep it alive during the year. The media tell us each year
that the idea is getting more popular, but try finding a company that
does it. [Especially within range of the upper Tyne valley and Kielder
forest, all in the business of selling cut trees.])
Fir cone hell!

Cheers
Clive
Jenny M Benson
2019-11-15 12:59:13 UTC
Post by Clive Arthur
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
Anyone know of companies that do this, in (or delivering
to/re-collecting from) the Newcastle area?
(The idea is to have a real living tree, in a pot, but not the
hardship of trying to keep it alive during the year. The media tell us
each year that the idea is getting more popular, but try finding a
company that does it. [Especially within range of the upper Tyne
valley and Kielder forest, all in the business of selling cut trees.])
Fir cone hell!
Cheers
:-O
http://jennygenes.blogspot.co.uk/