Help please
2019-10-02 20:23:29 UTC
I'd like to thank umrats who've responded supportively to my lament(able
poetic parody), but I'd ask - where were you in not replying to Sid
suggesting a BTN ? If you all ignore neoBTM, what hope have I got ?

Here's the gist of my reply to an email I received this morning:

"
Yes, I'm genuinely sorry, but really what is the point ? I do and would
miss umra too, but the umra of old, not the umra of today which is a
pale shadow of its former self.

I genuinely work hard to try and contribute to umra without being as
controversial as I know I have been in the past (and usually ended up
apologising for), but to what end ? The latin limericks got 1 reply
about the latin grammar. Very amusing and typically umratic, but was
that it ?

Was my comment about Rosie's plums a couple of weeks ago maybe too
subtle - or did people think "ITYM them" was a transphobic remark (which
occurred to me later) ? Did they not realise that what also went
missing at the event referred to was Rosie's non-chocolate plums and
that was what I was referring to ? Surely a BTN, as was boning the
baby. I don't really care whether Sid accepts them or not, or whether I
win any prizes at the BT ceremony, but if you don't get any "laughs"
even, what's the point of making the "jokes" ?

I've felt like this before and got over it, so maybe I will this time
too, but umra is dying. Maybe losing BTMS was the last straw to add to
all the other missing umrats, Kimbo and Robin, Marjorie and LFF even
though I usually disagreed with them. And Jo and Dumrat and many others
who only post rarely or never.
"

I think it maybe is the right time to move on, but I'll give it one more
chance.

When a delicate but much-loved plant is dying it needs TLC. That is what
I hope will happen with umra, but it needs more posts most of all. From
you reading this and from all the people who now only look in
occasionally and hopefully umrats who no longer read or post. I will be
contacting those of them that I am still in touch with on FB and
elsewhere to ask them to re-engage. Please do the same with your contacts.

I will ask them - and you - to reply to more posts: with unfunny puns
(there'll be an occasional gem); impenetrable ramblings; general
wittering on TA or OT subjects. I don't care, but replying shows that
YOU care about the poster and what they are writing. How hard can it be
? Most of us are retired now and although we have other interests and
distractions surely we have more time now, or were we all just wasting
time at work ?

There's a fine line between AOL style me-too posts and support, but I
know I've been guilty of enjoying a post but not responding to it,
perhaps leaving the poster feeling unappreciated. So I will try to
respond more to posts as well as try to start more threads, while still
avoiding the sensitive subjects that umra leaves alone and that make its
so unique on social media in its atmosphere.

I'll give it the rest of the year. Who is with me ?

Please post something in reply to this - I have just deleted the 2
entries in my KF, but I suspect that I am on several others, which is
fine, but I'd like this seen as widely as possible.

Thanks if you got this far...
Sally Thompson
2019-10-02 21:08:30 UTC
[...]
Well said, and I'm replying as requested, but the reason I don't post much
is that with a very sick husband, my life's just a bit full. I do enjoy
reading all the posts though, even if I do it silently. I hope umra doesn't
fail. Where else could you read Latin jokes, fish puns, and discussions
about classic crime fiction?
2019-10-02 21:25:14 UTC
On 2 Oct 2019 21:08:30 GMT, Sally Thompson
Post by Sally Thompson
I do enjoy
reading all the posts though, even if I do it silently. I hope umra doesn't
fail. Where else could you read Latin jokes, fish puns, and discussions
about classic crime fiction?
U do enjoy it too and do post and hope your husband is comfortable and
things improve so that you can post more, Sally.
BrritSki
2019-10-03 07:52:23 UTC
Post by Sally Thompson
I do enjoy
reading all the posts though, even if I do it silently. I hope umra doesn't
fail. Where else could you read Latin jokes, fish puns, and discussions
about classic crime fiction?
U do enjoy it too and do post and hope your husband is comfortable and
things improve so that you can post more, Sally.
<lw>

While encouraging snipping, does your careful excision of every trace of
the post Sally was replying to mean you don't agree with it ?

Fine if you don't, or didn't receive it at all, but I'd be interested to
know.
Vicky Ayech
2019-10-03 10:29:11 UTC
On Thu, 3 Oct 2019 08:52:23 +0100, BrritSki
Post by Sally Thompson
I do enjoy
reading all the posts though, even if I do it silently. I hope umra doesn't
fail. Where else could you read Latin jokes, fish puns, and discussions
about classic crime fiction?
U do enjoy it too and do post and hope your husband is comfortable and
things improve so that you can post more, Sally.
<lw>
While encouraging snipping, does your careful excision of every trace of
the post Sally was replying to mean you don't agree with it ?
Fine if you don't, or didn't receive it at all, but I'd be interested to
know.
Well, I like reading and posting on here. I still listen to TA and
also post OT quite often. I had not considered stopping. I didn't
think we were doing too badly at the moment. No need for any "please
share this if you agree" posts. I think y ou got that off fb or
twitter!
BrritSki
2019-10-03 11:14:54 UTC
Post by Sally Thompson
I do enjoy
reading all the posts though, even if I do it silently. I hope umra doesn't
fail. Where else could you read Latin jokes, fish puns, and discussions
about classic crime fiction?
U do enjoy it too and do post and hope your husband is comfortable and
things improve so that you can post more, Sally.
<lw>
While encouraging snipping, does your careful excision of every trace of
the post Sally was replying to mean you don't agree with it ?
Fine if you don't, or didn't receive it at all, but I'd be interested to
know.
Well, I like reading and posting on here. I still listen to TA and
also post OT quite often. I had not considered stopping. I didn't
think we were doing too badly at the moment.
Interesting that you and JPeg think that. I think there 's been a
gradual decline. Weekends are particularly barren.
It was just for that particular post so people didn't miss it.
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2019-10-03 11:38:13 UTC
Well, I like reading and posting on here. I still listen to TA and
also post OT quite often. I had not considered stopping. I didn't
think we were doing too badly at the moment.
Interesting that you and JPeg think that. I think there 's been a
gradual decline. Weekends are particularly barren.
Well, there's been a gradual (but cumulatively huge) decline in usenet
in general; most new users (of the internet) don't know it exists. Of
the 'groups I take, UMRA is one of the busier ones: generally quite a
bit busier than, say, alt.windows7.general, even though that's
international. (As for poor old APIHNA, I think that's decidedly
moribund. [There've been times when I'd love to have shared UMRA posts
there, but UMRA has a strange aversion so on the whole I don't.])

A. Top-posters.
Q. What's the most irritating thing on Usenet?
Chris J Dixon
2019-10-04 07:48:29 UTC
Interesting that you and JPeg think that. I think there 's been a
gradual decline. Weekends are particularly barren.
That does seem to be the case. I think, as others have said there
is a decline all over Usenet, which means there is reduced inflow
to combat the inevitable departures.

I personally have more time to be online on weekdays.

As many of us no longer listen, certain threads don't really lend
themselves to contributions. Although I do keep half an eye on
plot summaries, I can't even remember the salient details about
many of the more recent characters.

Not that it is a Bad Thing, but have we already reached the point
where the majority of posts are no longer actually discussing TA?

***@cdixon.me.uk @ChrisJDixon1
2019-10-04 08:29:18 UTC
In message <***@4ax.com>, Chris J Dixon
<***@cdixon.me.uk> writes:
[]
Post by Chris J Dixon
Not that it is a Bad Thing, but have we already reached the point
where the majority of posts are no longer actually discussing TA?
Chris
When telling others about UMRA, I usually say at least a third of
threads _start_ prompted by something in the prog., but that thread
wander (more like race!) is particularly prevalent here.

I've no idea if my guess is right; I suspect an overestimate by now.

In terms of _posts_, as opposed to thread starts, I think we passed the
majority/minority stage quite some years ago.

"OLTION'S COMPLETE, UNABRIDGED HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE
Bang! ...crumple." - Jery Oltion
Nick Odell
2019-10-04 21:29:28 UTC
Post by Chris J Dixon
Post by BrritSki
Interesting that you and JPeg think that. I think there 's been a
gradual decline. Weekends are particularly barren.
That does seem to be the case. I think, as others have said there
is a decline all over Usenet, which means there is reduced inflow
to combat the inevitable departures.
I personally have more time to be online on weekdays.
As many of us no longer listen, certain threads don't really lend
themselves to contributions. Although I do keep half an eye on
plot summaries, I can't even remember the salient details about
many of the more recent characters.
Not that it is a Bad Thing, but have we already reached the point
where the majority of posts are no longer actually discussing TA?
Was there ever a time when the majority of posts discussed TA?

I'm sure that, over the years, there has been a massive drop in the
volume of posts on umra: on at least one of the occasions when in the
past I "took a breather from umra" it was because the sheer number of
messages was too much for me to keep up with. IMO this decline more or
less matches the drop in posting all over usenet where some groups
have died through lack of interest, some because they couldn't cope
with trolls trying to dismember them and a few lucky ones carrying on
more or less as before.

I think it's worth remembering too that if umra isn't the same as it
used to be then neither is The Archers. On the whole, umrats used to
be TA listeners. I think it's simplistic to divide the current
participants into listening or non-listening since I believe there is
probably a spectrum from one end to the other. O'Connor and Whitburn
have a lot to answer for IMO.

2019-10-03 11:33:01 UTC
Post by Sally Thompson
I do enjoy
reading all the posts though, even if I do it silently. I hope umra doesn't
fail. Where else could you read Latin jokes, fish puns, and discussions
about classic crime fiction?
U do enjoy it too and do post and hope your husband is comfortable and
things improve so that you can post more, Sally.
<lw>
While encouraging snipping, does your careful excision of every trace
I _like_ careful snipping, where that means only the relevant
attributions are left.
Post by BrritSki
of the post Sally was replying to mean you don't agree with it ?
Fine if you don't, or didn't receive it at all, but I'd be interested
to know.
Sometimes I (and I assume Vicky is the same here) snip a lot of a post
if I'm replying to something near the end, which has drifted a long way
from the earlier parts (but nobody previous has snipped those parts); it
doesn't mean I disagree with the earlier parts, I just don't think what
I am saying is relevant to them, and don't see the point in repeating
them.

I _do_ always put in one of my little "[]" (short for "something snipped
here]") marks though, to indicate that I _have_ snipped. _Very_
occasionally, I put something inside it, such as "[BIG snip]".

BrritSki
2019-10-03 07:50:44 UTC
Thanks if you got this far...
Well said, and I'm replying as requested, but the reason I don't post much
is that with a very sick husband, my life's just a bit full. I do enjoy
reading all the posts though, even if I do it silently. I hope umra doesn't
fail. Where else could you read Latin jokes, fish puns, and discussions
about classic crime fiction?
Thanks Sally. No need to apologise for your posting levels, we all have
our own reasons for what we do here.

Good luck to you and your husband.
Min
2019-10-02 21:44:30 UTC
Please post something in reply to this - I have just deleted the 2
entries in my KF, but I suspect that I am on several others, which is
fine, but I'd like this seen as widely as possible.
Something. My problem is I don't read the papers or see a lot of news, so I have problems being topical enough for BTNs...Shall Try Harder...
Min
BrritSki
2019-10-03 07:53:33 UTC
Post by Min
Post by BrritSki
Please post something in reply to this - I have just deleted the 2
entries in my KF, but I suspect that I am on several others, which is
fine, but I'd like this seen as widely as possible.
Something. My problem is I don't read the papers or see a lot of news, so I have problems being topical enough for BTNs...Shall Try Harder...
Thanks Min. It's not just BTNs though, and mine don't always refer to
current events, i n fact neither of the recent ones did :)
Jenny M Benson
2019-10-03 08:58:50 UTC
Post by Min
Post by BrritSki
Please post something in reply to this - I have just deleted the 2
entries in my KF, but I suspect that I am on several others, which is
fine, but I'd like this seen as widely as possible.
Something. My problem is I don't read the papers or see a lot of news, so I have problems being topical enough for BTNs...Shall Try Harder...
And something else! Umrats might recall from my stint as BTM that I
frequently had to have BTNs explained to me - things haven't changed.

I'm afraid your "plums" completely by-passed me, Brritters, but I do
greatly appreciate your presence here, even if I don't always follow up.

Your roll-call of lost Umrats was really rather depressing and I feel
mighty guilty that I hadn't even made mental note of the absence of one
of the people you mentioned.
http://jennygenes.blogspot.co.uk/
BrritSki
2019-10-03 09:10:44 UTC
Your roll-call of lost Umrats was really rather depressing and I feel
mighty guilty that I hadn't even made mental note of the absence of one
of the people you mentioned.
Yes, and it wasn't even complete as a look on Umra Extra on FB has
reminded me:
Martin, Ally, Heather, Niles, AndyR, Natty, Jane, Stephen, TNMF

and then there's STilley, SODAM and no doubt others I've missed :(
Chris McMillan
2019-10-03 13:28:49 UTC
Your roll-call of lost Umrats was really rather depressing and I feel
mighty guilty that I hadn't even made mental note of the absence of one
of the people you mentioned.
Yes, and it wasn't even complete as a look on Umra Extra on FB has
Martin, Ally, Heather, Niles, AndyR, Natty, Jane, Stephen, TNMF
and then there's STilley, SODAM and no doubt others I've missed :(
SODAM’s relocating SODAM Towers at the mo with young Bingo, but it was BTMS
who kept in close contact with her.

2019-10-03 13:49:28 UTC
Martin, Ally, Heather, Niles, AndyR, Natty, Jane, Stephen, TNMF
Can't mention TNMF without LFox.
and then there's STilley, SODAM and no doubt others I've missed :(
SODAM’s relocating SODAM Towers at the mo with young Bingo,
And I with http://255soft.uk/Bingo/, though there's nothing of Bingo
later than 2018-5-17. Some Uno from 2019-6-3, though ...
[]
(I'd forgotten how adorable they are.)

They are public servants, so we will threat them rather as Flashman treats
servants. - Stephen Fry on some people's attitudo to the BBC, in Radio Times,
3-9 July 2010
Chris McMillan
2019-10-03 13:28:48 UTC
Post by Min
Post by BrritSki
Please post something in reply to this - I have just deleted the 2
entries in my KF, but I suspect that I am on several others, which is
fine, but I'd like this seen as widely as possible.
Something. My problem is I don't read the papers or see a lot of news,
so I have problems being topical enough for BTNs...Shall Try Harder...
Think face value Min. We never read the papers, headlines news, and we’re
still newbies to tv in a lifetime of people having one. Nor do I watch
fillums though McT does, we’ve never soaped either. Umra’s our news.

Newstap isn’t Turnpike, its a lot harder to use on a tablet as I can’t be
a**ed to sit at the table with a separate keyboard.

2019-10-03 01:01:58 UTC
I'd like to thank umrats who've responded supportively to my
lament(able poetic parody), but I'd ask - where were you in not
replying to Sid suggesting a BTN ? If you all ignore neoBTM, what hope
have I got ?
I guess we were all hoping someone else would respond )-:.
Yes, I'm genuinely sorry, but really what is the point ? I do and
would miss umra too, but the umra of old, not the umra of today which
is a pale shadow of its former self.
I think it has had a slight resurgence of late. It's declined since the
heyday, but so has all of usenet; I think UMRA is healthy.
Post by BrritSki
I genuinely work hard to try and contribute to umra without being as
controversial as I know I have been in the past (and usually ended up
apologising for), but to what end ? The latin limericks got 1 reply
about the latin grammar. Very amusing and typically umratic, but was
that it ?
Some of us have felt not worthy of such magnificence - i. e. felt our
contributions wouldn't be up to the standard.
and that was what I was referring to ? Surely a BTN, as was boning the
baby.
I did think about that, but wasn't sure if it would be just MV - plus,
of course, these days BT of that sort is _really_ unacceptable (to
some), or at least makes some decidedly uneasy. Some of us I suspect
would like to have said BTN, but were afraid of really offending
somerats.
Post by BrritSki
I don't really care whether Sid accepts them or not, or whether I win
any prizes at the BT ceremony, but if you don't get any "laughs" even,
what's the point of making the "jokes" ?
I hope I do my bit - when there's something particularly fine, even if I
don't think I can match the standard, I'll still post a "LOLAL" or
"still chuckling" or "BUMRA".
Post by BrritSki
I've felt like this before and got over it, so maybe I will this time
too, but umra is dying. Maybe losing BTMS was the last straw to add to
all the other missing umrats, Kimbo and Robin, Marjorie and LFF even
though I usually disagreed with them. And Jo and Dumrat and many others
who only post rarely or never.
"
Some do return after a long hiatus: Min seems to be back for good now,
accompanied by hounds now.
Post by BrritSki
I think it maybe is the right time to move on, but I'll give it one
more chance.
I will ask them - and you - to reply to more posts: with unfunny puns
(there'll be an occasional gem); impenetrable ramblings; general
wittering on TA or OT subjects. I don't care, but replying shows that
I certainly do OT. IMO it's one of the glories of UMRA.
Post by BrritSki
YOU care about the poster and what they are writing. How hard can it be
? Most of us are retired now and although we have other interests and
distractions surely we have more time now, or were we all just wasting
time at work ?
(-:. [No, they cut off our news feed at work many years before I stopped
working (at messybeast; no way I could have at the six-months place).]
Post by BrritSki
There's a fine line between AOL style me-too posts and support, but I
know I've been guilty of enjoying a post but not responding to it,
perhaps leaving the poster feeling unappreciated. So I will try to
respond more to posts as well as try to start more threads, while still
avoiding the sensitive subjects that umra leaves alone and that make
That's also a fine line.
Post by BrritSki
its so unique on social media in its atmosphere.
I'll give it the rest of the year. Who is with me ?
I'm with the Woolwich! (I was, actually! And Gateway before that! But
Woolwich took over Gateway, and Barclays sort of absorbed Woolwich
rather like a white blood cell does.)
Post by BrritSki
Please post something in reply to this - I have just deleted the 2
entries in my KF, but I suspect that I am on several others, which is
I'm pretty sure you've never been in mine. Apart from odd rogue
outsiders (spammers or nutters) who've "found" UMRA from time to time,
I've only ever had one what we might call genuine UMRAt in mine, and
that was more that I thought our disagreements would be getting boring
to UMRA in general than a general dislike of the person (I thought if I
didn't see that person's posts and reply to them, it'd be better for
all). [I don't know if the person's still here.] As I said, I'm pretty
sure you've never been in my KF.
Post by BrritSki
fine, but I'd like this seen as widely as possible.
Hope this suffices.
Post by BrritSki
Thanks if you got this far...
Had to, if the alternative would be to lose Brittski!

Lewis: ... d'you think there's a god?
Morse: ... There are times when I wish to god there was one. (Inspector Morse)
BrritSki
Thanks John.
Sid Nuncius
2019-10-03 05:54:40 UTC
[...]
I am. Well said, MOPMOB! I shall try harder.
2019-10-03 07:56:50 UTC
I'll give it the rest of the year. Who is with me ?
I am.  Well said, MOPMOB!  I shall try harder.
Thanks Sid. Your contributions are always welcome at whatever volume.

Eh ? I heard that...
Mike
2019-10-03 07:42:52 UTC
[...]
The McToodles have been posting for quite a while now, latin is well...
latin to me, nor do I understand or speak any other language than English -
though punning and BT comes quite naturally to my fingers.
Week ends are often very quiet on UMRA ; i do my best to wake them up a bit
when I can, I hope my ramblings don’t put people off reading and
contributing to UMRA in some way. Brritters, UMRA needs us all - don’t go!
Thanks Mike.
Vicky Ayech
2019-10-03 10:26:50 UTC
Please post something in reply to this - I have just deleted the 2
entries in my KF, but I suspect that I am on several others, which is
fine, but I'd like this seen as widely as possible.
Thanks if you got this far...
The McToodles have been posting for quite a while now, latin is well...
latin to me, nor do I understand or speak any other language than English -
though punning and BT comes quite naturally to my fingers.
Matron! Mike is talking about what comes naturally and his fingers!
I think you gave him the little pink tablets last time. It IS a family
group, you know.
Post by Mike
Week ends are often very quiet on UMRA ; i do my best to wake them up a bit
when I can, I hope my ramblings don’t put people off reading and
contributing to UMRA in some way.
I don;t do many puns but your posts have never put me off really. I
quite enjoy filth!
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2019-10-03 11:44:55 UTC
In message <0EhlF.669279$***@fx29.am4>, Mike
<***@ntlworld.com> writes:
The McToodles have been posting for quite a while now
Indeed: at one time Chris for all intents and purposes* _was_ UMRA. And
with the BBQs of fond memory, the McToodles have a special place here.
Post by Mike
, latin is well...
latin to me, nor do I understand or speak any other language than English -
though punning and BT comes quite naturally to my fingers.
Week ends are often very quiet on UMRA ; i do my best to wake them up a bit
when I can, I hope my ramblings don’t put people off reading and
I usually perk up when I see there's a Mike post. [Cue puns re mike
stand, etc..] And especially if it's got a pun in it - the more
groanworthy the better.

(How did it happen that fish puns, in particular, are popular in UMRA?)
Post by Mike
contributing to UMRA in some way. Brritters, UMRA needs us all - don’t go!
Indeed! [A word a cousin says I use a lot. I'm now aware that I do, but
don't think I've moderated my use of it much!]
* Being a disliker (?) of tautology, I wanted to shorten that
expression, but couldn't figure out a way to do so and still have people
get what I meant.

Mike
2019-10-03 12:41:30 UTC
(How did it happen that fish puns, in particular, are popular in UMRA?)
Perhaps it’s because such opper tuna tees are not to be ignored.
2019-10-03 12:44:32 UTC
(How did it happen that fish puns, in particular, are popular in UMRA?)
Perhaps it’s because such opper tuna tees are not to be ignored.
There's no better plaice for them.
2019-10-03 13:01:06 UTC
Even Bozza got in on the act yesterday in his turbot-charged speech...
Sid Nuncius
2019-10-03 17:19:53 UTC
Post by Jim Easterbrook
(How did it happen that fish puns, in particular, are popular in UMRA?)
Perhaps it’s because such opper tuna tees are not to be ignored.
There's no better plaice for them.
Even Bozza got in on the act yesterday in his turbot-charged speech...
I thought he made a bit of a bass of himself.
2019-10-03 17:52:07 UTC
Post by Jim Easterbrook
(How did it happen that fish puns, in particular, are popular in UMRA?)
Perhaps it’s because such opper tuna tees are not to be ignored.
There's no better plaice for them.
Even Bozza got in on the act yesterday in his turbot-charged speech...
I thought he made a bit of a bass of himself.
He spoke a lot of cods, thought he was an ally-but now I’m not so sure, I’m
fed up to the gills with it all, just a pipe bream that he would get the EU
to agree, salmon you may disagree but I’m perched on the side of
negotiations failing completely with the net result of us sardine all over
again with a newly-prawn government - I’ll abait for now - yes, I’ll sling
my hook.
Joe Kerr
2019-10-03 20:07:21 UTC
Post by Jim Easterbrook
(How did it happen that fish puns, in particular, are popular in UMRA?)
Perhaps it’s because such opper tuna tees are not to be ignored.
There's no better plaice for them.
Even Bozza got in on the act yesterday in his turbot-charged speech...
I thought he made a bit of a bass of himself.
He spoke a lot of cods, thought he was an ally-but now I’m not so sure, I’m
fed up to the gills with it all, just a pipe bream that he would get the EU
to agree, salmon you may disagree but I’m perched on the side of
negotiations failing completely with the net result of us sardine all over
again with a newly-prawn government - I’ll abait for now - yes, I’ll sling
my hook.
It haddock happen!
Ric
Penny
2019-10-03 09:05:19 UTC
On Wed, 2 Oct 2019 21:23:29 +0100, BrritSki <***@gmail.com>
Please post something in reply to this - I have just deleted the 2
entries in my KF, but I suspect that I am on several others, which is
fine
I've never KFed you but I miss you on FB since you cut contact after I
liked something you didn't.

I'm not going to start posting
:)
here when I have nothing else to add. This doesn't mean I haven't
appreciated something.
2019-10-03 11:20:46 UTC
Please post something in reply to this - I have just deleted the 2
entries in my KF, but I suspect that I am on several others, which is
fine
I've never KFed you but I miss you on FB since you cut contact after I
liked something you didn't.
Oh dear, I don't remember that :(
Fair enough.
Chris McMillan
2019-10-03 14:22:11 UTC
Post by Penny
I'm not going to start posting :)
here when I have nothing else to add. This doesn't mean I haven't
appreciated something.
Fair enough.
I forgot to say that Mr Sheep’s no longer able to post as he’s losing ease
of his fingers. He also looks after ‘his ewe’ who’s had arthritis for a
very long time. He does send me messages using Dragon or similar but
doesn’t work as well as he would like.

2019-10-03 09:05:31 UTC
Please post something in reply to this - I have just deleted the 2
entries in my KF, but I suspect that I am on several others, which is
fine, but I'd like this seen as widely as possible.
I fear I have nothing original to say these days having told my little
stories repeatedly over the years and in general not creating new ones.
I have the odd rant at the world at large as I feel I can do that here
but not elsewhere.

Now I have umra here all day I check it from time to time instead of
spending an hour (or whatever) reading it in the evenings and firing back.

Our driving material - a well known wireless programme - has been taken
over by madmen who have veered away from being character driven and have
ruthlessly imposed stupid stories (Brian selling his farmhouse so we can
have some jokes about being Roy's neighbour, despatching Bethany Tucker
to Brum, silencing Kathy when Pat needed her best friend, revoicing Tom
and even more so Pip to give us voices we do not like and so on).

And finding people to attract to this backwater to introduce originality
is not easy.
Steve Hague
2019-10-03 10:09:32 UTC
and even more so Pip to give us voices we do not like and so on).
And finding people to attract to this backwater to introduce originality
is not easy.
Part of the problem for me is that I joined umra when TA was worth
listening to, but haven't listened since just after Nigel fell off the
roof. I'm still here because I like umrats, although I've never met any
in the flesh. We ask for advice on here, we give advice and are
concerned for each other. No one gets nasty these days, although that
wasn't always the case. Umra is a community more than a radio programme
appreciation group, and it would be interesting to find out how many of
us still listen. I know it's been said before, but could people snip
huge amounts of largely irrelevant text before leaving a one line reply?
2019-10-03 10:45:08 UTC
I know it's been said before, but could people snip huge amounts of
largely irrelevant text before leaving a one line reply?
Will do.
Joe Kerr
2019-10-03 10:52:42 UTC
Post by Steve Hague
could people snip
huge amounts of <snip> text before leaving a one line reply?
Yes.
Ric
BrritSki
2019-10-03 11:12:25 UTC
Post by Steve Hague
Post by krw
and even more so Pip to give us voices we do not like and so on).
And finding people to attract to this backwater to introduce
originality is not easy.
Part of the problem for me is that I joined umra when TA was worth
listening to, but haven't listened since just after Nigel fell off the
Yes, that is a problem.
Post by Steve Hague
roof. I'm still here because I like umrats, although I've never met any
in the flesh. We ask for advice on here, we give advice and are
concerned for each other. No one gets nasty these days, although that
wasn't always the case. Umra is a community more than a radio programme
appreciation group, and it would be interesting to find out how many of
us still listen.
I still listen, with ever mounting annoyance.

<lw>
Sally Thompson
2019-10-03 12:05:17 UTC
Post by Steve Hague
Umra is a community more than a radio programme
appreciation group, and it would be interesting to find out how many of
us still listen.
I still listen, every day, sometimes with difficulty (I found the Rob/Helen
storyline very tough listening).
2019-10-03 12:36:33 UTC
On 3 Oct 2019 12:05:17 GMT, Sally Thompson
Post by Sally Thompson
Post by Steve Hague
Umra is a community more than a radio programme
appreciation group, and it would be interesting to find out how many of
us still listen.
I still listen, every day, sometimes with difficulty (I found the Rob/Helen
storyline very tough listening).
I stopped for a while during the Rob story time. I listen now and
enjoy some ofit. This week Hannah has annoyed me, but the SWs have
more. Why do they always pick the most unpleasant and least deserved
outcome? But I like having a place to rant about it.
steveski
2019-10-04 00:37:26 UTC
Umra is a community more than a radio programme appreciation group, and
it would be interesting to find out how many of us still listen.
I still listen, every day, sometimes with difficulty (I found the
Rob/Helen storyline very tough listening).
I, too, listen everyday although I'm starting to wonder . . .

I like the fact that umra can talk about anything. The froups that had
the same kind of ethos were the ones I subscribed to although they are,
largely, moribund these days as USENET is dying.

There was one froup that we had to post OT for 'on' topic :-) (Steve
Brooks - I'm looking at you :-) )
2019-10-03 12:03:48 UTC
Post by Steve Hague
Post by krw
and even more so Pip to give us voices we do not like and so on).
And finding people to attract to this backwater to introduce
originality is not easy.
Part of the problem for me is that I joined umra when TA was worth
listening to, but haven't listened since just after Nigel fell off the
roof. I'm still here because I like umrats, although I've never met any
in the flesh.
We ask for advice on here, we give advice and are concerned for each
Those are of the many things that make UMRA great.
Post by Steve Hague
other. No one gets nasty these days, although that wasn't always the
We can still rub somerats up the wrong way, but it is usually obvious
when we do, and the perpetrator realises what they have done, and either
apologises or at least goes quiet for a while.
Post by Steve Hague
case. Umra is a community more than a radio programme appreciation
Some while (years!) ago someone said it had morphed from "for those who
listen to the archers" to "for the _sort of people_ who might listen to
the Archers". Which I think was very perceptive - though probably
misleading to outsiders, with whom TA still has middle-to-upper-class
connotations, along with a whiff of nimbyism. (Which UMRA certainly
doesn't reflect: I think our average political outlook is slightly left
of centre, though in the more caring than militant sense.)

[A sudden thought: has it ever been revealed what the _Ambridge_
characters' opinions on Brexit are? I can't _remember_ it ever being
clarified, though I would expect Brian, David, and Susan (and maybe Jim)
to have a fairly definite view, even if not what might be expected. I
know UMRA is mostly remain.]
Post by Steve Hague
group, and it would be interesting to find out how many of us still
listen. I know it's been said before, but could people snip huge
amounts of largely irrelevant text before leaving a one line reply?
Steve
It doesn't hurt to say it again, though it'll have little lasting effect
)-: (-:

Veni, Vidi, VO5 (I came, I saw, I washed my hair) - Mik from S+AS Limited
(***@saslimited.demon.co.uk), 1998
Mike
2019-10-03 12:45:36 UTC
Inse.)
[A sudden thought: has it ever been revealed what the _Ambridge_
characters' opinions on Brexit are? I can't _remember_ it ever being
clarified, though I would expect Brian, David, and Susan (and maybe Jim)
to have a fairly definite view, even if not what might be expected. I
know UMRA is mostly remain.]
Oiy Matron, that Jpeg chappie mentioned the ‘B’ word, have you some tablets
for him please?
2019-10-03 13:04:58 UTC
Inse.)
[A sudden thought: has it ever been revealed what the _Ambridge_
characters' opinions on Brexit are? I can't _remember_ it ever being
clarified, though I would expect Brian, David, and Susan (and maybe Jim)
to have a fairly definite view, even if not what might be expected. I
know UMRA is mostly remain.]
Oiy Matron, that Jpeg chappie mentioned the ‘B’ word, have you some tablets
for him please?
In brackets, and actually asking about the characters (sorry, people,
though Jim is certainly a "character" in another sense) in the
programme! [OK, I did give my assessment of UMRA's view too. But not
intended to be provocative.]

I am genuinely not sure which way Brian and David would have chosen,
though I suspect they'd have decided on one way and stuck to it. I
rather suspect Susan would be strongly Brexit. I think Jim would be
split, and could have come down on either side. I don't think Eddie
would have a strong opinion either way.

Then there are Jenny, Ruth, Pip ... the whole rest of the cast.

Whoever decided to limit tagline length to 68 characters can kiss my
steveski
2019-10-04 00:21:27 UTC
Inse.)
[A sudden thought: has it ever been revealed what the _Ambridge_
characters' opinions on Brexit are? I can't _remember_ it ever being
clarified, though I would expect Brian, David, and Susan (and maybe Jim)
to have a fairly definite view, even if not what might be expected. I
know UMRA is mostly remain.]
Oiy Matron, that Jpeg chappie mentioned the ‘B’ word, have you some
tablets for him please?
<Otto von Chriek>

Zer B-word? No, no, ve much prefer a nice mug of cocoa and a zing-zong
around ze piano!

</Otto von Chriek>

Who wishes umra to go on forever (or, at least, until he kharks it).
Sid Nuncius
2019-10-04 05:34:49 UTC
Inse.)
[A sudden thought: has it ever been revealed what the _Ambridge_
characters' opinions on Brexit are? I can't _remember_ it ever being
clarified, though I would expect Brian, David, and Susan (and maybe Jim)
to have a fairly definite view, even if not what might be expected. I
know UMRA is mostly remain.]
Oiy Matron, that Jpeg chappie mentioned the ‘B’ word, have you some
tablets for him please?
<Otto von Chriek>
Zer B-word? No, no, ve much prefer a nice mug of cocoa and a zing-zong
around ze piano!
</Otto von Chriek>
Oh, Mr von Chriek! I'm your biggest fan! Can I have a selfie with you,
please?
2019-10-03 14:15:40 UTC
A sudden thought: has it ever been revealed what the _Ambridge_
characters' opinions on Brexit are?
Adam was for leaving to general derision as he was a farmer needing
cheap foreign labour. Now he is a fisherman he presumably is even
keener to leave so that they fish remain British.

David was a remainer and neither of them were excited about it.
2019-10-03 14:19:21 UTC
A sudden thought: has it ever been revealed what the _Ambridge_
characters' opinions on Brexit are?
Adam was for leaving to general derision as he was a farmer needing
cheap foreign labour. Now he is a fisherman he presumably is even
keener to leave so that they fish remain British.
David was a remainer and neither of them were excited about it.
Inside or outside the E.U., which would pay Brian the most for ‘chemical
disposal’, cough-cough.
2019-10-03 18:24:53 UTC
A sudden thought: has it ever been revealed what the _Ambridge_
characters' opinions on Brexit are?
Adam was for leaving to general derision as he was a farmer needing
cheap foreign labour. Now he is a fisherman he presumably is even
keener to leave so that they fish remain British.
David was a remainer and neither of them were excited about it.
Inside or outside the E.U., which would pay Brian the most for ‘chemical
disposal’, cough-cough.
If (when?) we leave will Emma come back from her shift smelling like a
swimming pool?

2019-10-03 18:10:00 UTC
[A sudden thought: has it ever been revealed what the _Ambridge_
characters' opinions on Brexit are? I can't _remember_ it ever being
clarified, though I would expect Brian, David, and Susan (and maybe Jim)
to have a fairly definite view, even if not what might be expected. I
know UMRA is mostly remain.]
At the time of the referendum, there were one or two discussions which
made opinions clear. Adam was definitely pro-leave and, IIRC, David was
arguing for remain. I can't remember whether anyone else's views were
made plain.
Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest
(Mark Twain)
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2019-10-03 11:52:00 UTC
Please post something in reply to this - I have just deleted the 2
entries in my KF, but I suspect that I am on several others, which is
fine, but I'd like this seen as widely as possible.
I fear I have nothing original to say these days having told my little
stories repeatedly over the years and in general not creating new ones.
I too fear repeating myself and my stories/opinions/advice/whatever. I
saw it _slightly_ in my Mum before the end, and am (thus?) wary of doing
it myself, especially as I get older.
Post by krw
I have the odd rant at the world at large as I feel I can do that here
but not elsewhere.
I think most of us agree with many of your rants!
Post by krw
Now I have umra here all day I check it from time to time instead of
spending an hour (or whatever) reading it in the evenings and firing back.
I'm here semi-constantly now.
Post by krw
Our driving material - a well known wireless programme - has been taken
over by madmen who have veered away from being character driven and
have ruthlessly imposed stupid stories (Brian selling his farmhouse so
we can have some jokes about being Roy's neighbour, despatching Bethany
Tucker to Brum, silencing Kathy when Pat needed her best friend,
revoicing Tom and even more so Pip to give us voices we do not like and
so on).
I still get _some_ enjoyment out of it - sometimes. Of late, that's been
mainly some long-standing characteristic getting its come-uppance, but
there are occasional sweet little bits, too. [And - though it's far from
my reason for listening - I get virtually _all_ I know about agriculture
from it.]
Post by krw
And finding people to attract to this backwater to introduce
originality is not easy.
Finding people who know what usenet even _is_ isn't easy; of those that
don't, persuading them to try it isn't, either.

Veni, Vidi, VO5 (I came, I saw, I washed my hair) - Mik from S+AS Limited
(***@saslimited.demon.co.uk), 1998
Chris McMillan
2019-10-03 14:22:11 UTC
Post by krw
And finding people to attract to this backwater to introduce
originality is not easy.
Finding people who know what usenet even _is_ isn't easy; of those that
don't, persuading them to try it isn't, either.
They’re rather just go to Facebook’s version which I can’t even work out
thread or attributes because it doesn’t work that way. Exceedingly high
traffic.

2019-10-04 07:56:25 UTC
I fear I have nothing original to say these days having told my little
stories repeatedly over the years and in general not creating new ones.
I too fear repeating myself and my stories/opinions/advice/whatever. I
saw it _slightly_ in my Mum before the end, and am (thus?) wary of doing
it myself, especially as I get older.
Quite so. Indeed a few posts ^^ I used something I last wrote 8
years ago, as it was appropriate to the discussion. I try to at
least leave a decent interval before I bring out an oldie.

***@cdixon.me.uk @ChrisJDixon1
2019-10-04 08:32:08 UTC
On Fri, 04 Oct 2019 08:56:25 +0100, Chris J Dixon <***@cdixon.me.uk>
scrawled in the dust...
Post by Chris J Dixon
I fear I have nothing original to say these days having told my little
stories repeatedly over the years and in general not creating new ones.
I too fear repeating myself and my stories/opinions/advice/whatever. I
saw it _slightly_ in my Mum before the end, and am (thus?) wary of doing
it myself, especially as I get older.
Quite so. Indeed a few posts ^^ I used something I last wrote 8
years ago, as it was appropriate to the discussion. I try to at
least leave a decent interval before I bring out an oldie.
I can't remember who I've told what these days.
Ray would always start a 'story' with, "You've probably heard this before
but _I_ want to hear it again."
vk
2019-10-03 10:31:42 UTC
On 02/10/2019 21:23, BrritSki wrote

<massive snippetry>
Post by BrritSki
Please post something in reply to this -
Something.

Sorry Brritters. And sorry for being a quiet Umrat. Must try harder.
Serena Blanchflower
2019-10-03 10:57:56 UTC
I'll give it the rest of the year. Who is with me ?
Yup, I'll try to do better ;)
If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change
your attitude (Maya Angelou)
Joe Kerr
2019-10-03 11:30:52 UTC
I do and would
miss umra too, but the umra of old, not the umra of today which is a
pale shadow of its former self.
<snip>
Post by BrritSki
I've felt like this before and got over it, so maybe I will this time
too, but umra is dying. Maybe losing BTMS was the last straw to add to
all the other missing umrats, Kimbo and Robin, Marjorie and LFF even
though I usually disagreed with them. And Jo and Dumrat and many others
who only post rarely or never.
"
I think it maybe is the right time to move on, but I'll give it one more
chance.
I thought I ought to offer some kind of rambling and incoherent
response. Possibly irrelevant, too.

My life is a bit of a shambles at the moment which makes my presence
rather spasmodic and limited. I don't have time to read all the posts
and ignore all the on topic threads as I don't listen to the program. I
used to listen as it was on while I drove home from work. Now, if I
happen to be in the car at the right time I generally switch channels as
it is generally unpleasant and does not compare with the days when we
would listen to the omni over breakfast and then my father would take me
down to the allotment to put all the good advice into practice.

The great thing about umra is (was?) the great diversity of knowledge,
interests and experience that can be found enabling discussion on any
topic and providing advice and help on any subject in a civilised manner
- something that is lacking from most of the internet and society. For
this valuable resource to continue it needs participants.

My own contributions do not match the erudition and skill of others but
I still hope to learn from them (including you) and I try (and
periodically fail) to avoid making myself look stupid, mainly by
limiting my contributions.

I hope that the presence of this reply meets your needs in confirming
the value of your, and everybody else's, presence here in contributing
to a diverse, civilised, and supportive corner of the (digital) world
even if the content doesn't.
Ric
Mike
2019-10-03 12:36:02 UTC
Post by Joe Kerr
and ignore all the on topic threads as I don't listen to the program.
Splutter.. not much you need to ignore there then!
Post by Joe Kerr
The great thing about umra is (was?) the great diversity of knowledge,
interests and experience that can be found enabling discussion on any
topic and providing advice and help on any subject in a civilised manner
- something that is lacking from most of the internet and society. For
this valuable resource to continue it needs participants.
Quite so.
Post by Joe Kerr
My own contributions do not match the erudition and skill of others but
I still hope to learn from them (including you) and I try (and
periodically fail) to avoid making myself look stupid, mainly by
limiting my contributions.
Likewise, it doesn’t stop me either!
Post by Joe Kerr
I hope that the presence of this reply meets your needs in confirming
the value of your, and everybody else's, presence here in contributing
to a diverse, civilised, and supportive corner of the (digital) world
even if the content doesn't.
‘Ere, ‘ere.:-)
2019-10-03 12:51:59 UTC
Post by Joe Kerr
My own contributions do not match the erudition and skill of others but
I still hope to learn from them (including you) and I try (and
periodically fail) to avoid making myself look stupid, mainly by
limiting my contributions.
I am genuinely sorry that you and others (JPeg for example in some
senses) feel somehow unworthy of posting in umra. I am very flattered
that others can learn from me and enjoy my contributions, but my
overarching feeling is that *I* benefit from umra far more than the
reverse iyswim.

ALL contributions are valuable, please keep them coming.
Post by Joe Kerr
I hope that the presence of this reply meets your needs in confirming
the value of your, and everybody else's, presence here in contributing
to a diverse, civilised, and supportive corner of the (digital) world
even if the content doesn't.
Thanks Joe, it most certainly does. Am I right in recalling that a
relative is very dependent on you ? That whole thread was very
interesting, enlightening and moving, and I learned a lot from it.
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2019-10-03 13:12:28 UTC
In message <***@mid.individual.net>, BrritSki
<***@gmail.com> writes:
I am genuinely sorry that you and others (JPeg for example in some
senses) feel somehow unworthy of posting in umra. I am very flattered
Oh, not most of the time; only when there's been a post displaying
clearly vastly more knowledge of a subject than I have. Or,
occasionally, when the subject is highly emotional, such as - probably
increasingly as we age - the death or illness of a relative or close
friend, when (as in spoken life) I don't know what to say.

Most of the time, I suspect I err on the side of posting too much/often!
Post by BrritSki
that others can learn from me and enjoy my contributions, but my
overarching feeling is that *I* benefit from umra far more than the
reverse iyswim.
I do, and feel the same. (OK, smartrats - I'm not talking about my
opinion of what _he_ gets out of UMRA!)

Whoever decided to limit tagline length to 68 characters can kiss my
Joe Kerr
2019-10-03 20:35:31 UTC
Post by Joe Kerr
My own contributions do not match the erudition and skill of others
but I still hope to learn from them (including you) and I try (and
periodically fail) to avoid making myself look stupid, mainly by
limiting my contributions.
I am genuinely sorry that you and others (JPeg for example in some
senses) feel somehow unworthy of posting in umra. I am very flattered
that others can learn from me and enjoy my contributions, but my
overarching feeling is that *I* benefit from umra far more than the
reverse iyswim.
ALL contributions are valuable, please keep them coming.
I don't feel unworthy. I have just learned over the years that I am
nowhere as well educated or clever as I had hoped I was. And never will
be. I have, I hope, learned a lot from being here. Not that I have any
idea of what it may be. I have also been highly amused at times. You and
Sid would be amongst the best reads, even if I don't always understand.
I only refrain from posting if there is nothing constructive or humorous
that I can add.
Post by BrritSki
Post by Joe Kerr
I hope that the presence of this reply meets your needs in confirming
the value of your, and everybody else's, presence here in contributing
to a diverse, civilised, and supportive corner of the (digital) world
even if the content doesn't.
Thanks Joe, it most certainly does.  Am I right in recalling that a
relative is very dependent on you ?  That whole thread was very
interesting, enlightening and moving, and I learned a lot from it.
You are correct. I'm glad to have helped. The relative and I had a bit
of a, err ... What lurks between argument, discussion and lecture?
...the other day. She has been a bit more cooperative fsince. I'll have
to see whether it lasts.

Did I ever thank everybody for their contributions (online and off) or
did it succumb to umratic swerves and peter out? If not, I do thank you
all for your effort, concern, suggestions and virtual hugs. So far all
your ideas I have tried have met with a "No" but there is still more to
work with.
Ric
Vicky Ayech
2019-10-03 21:25:25 UTC
Post by Joe Kerr
Post by BrritSki
Post by Joe Kerr
[...]
I think many of your contributions are excellent and interesting.
Post by Joe Kerr
The relative and I had a bit
of a, err ... What lurks between argument, discussion and lecture?
...the other day. She has been a bit more cooperative fsince. I'll have
to see whether it lasts.
Did I ever thank everybody for their contributions (online and off) or
did it succumb to umratic swerves and peter out? If not, I do thank you
all for your effort, concern, suggestions and virtual hugs. So far all
your ideas I have tried have met with a "No" but there is still more to
work with.
Fingers crossed that you find a way to resolve things that works for
everyone.
BrritSki
<lw>
Nick Odell
2019-10-04 10:36:58 UTC
Post by BrritSki
[...]
This seems like the right place for me to latch onto this thread. I'm
a bit slow of thinking - more so these days - and by the time I've
thought about what to write somebody else has written the same -
although generally they put the point better than I would have done
anyway.

This thread and the reason for it are a case in point. When BrritSki
wrote what appeared to all intents and purposes to be a valedictory
poem (rather a good one, IMO, Britters: I "saved" it as I've saved
some of your other work before) I thought: this needs something more
personal than a "me too" or a "+1" but by the time I'd thought about
what I wanted to say, the whole conversation had moved on and moved
into another thread. This thread.

And now I'm reading this thread intently. I've been here hours reading
and writing this but I hadn't dived in before because everything I'd
thought about so far had already been said.

I don't think up until now I had realised how many of us contribute to
umra and also know each other on Facebook. Not me, I'm afraid: umra
only here. And how many people who used to be on umra are now on
Facebook alone. I imagine that's a bit analogous to my involvement in
other usenet groups where I meet the same people but the different mix
makes for different experiences. But somehow I suppose the
Usenet/Facebook difference makes it bigger than that.

2019-10-04 11:05:54 UTC
In message <***@4ax.com>, Nick Odell
<***@themusicworkshop.plus.com> writes:
I don't think up until now I had realised how many of us contribute to
umra and also know each other on Facebook. Not me, I'm afraid: umra
Me neither. I didn't use to (grammar?) _resent_ those who used Facebook
as much as many other non-users seem to; I can see it brings a lot of
pleasure to many, and I'm not against pleasure. My only real reason for
dislike is the _assumption_ that you are on it (and that's growing, both
the assumption and - consequently - my dislike).
Post by Nick Odell
only here. And how many people who used to be on umra are now on
Facebook alone. I imagine that's a bit analogous to my involvement in
other usenet groups where I meet the same people but the different mix
makes for different experiences. But somehow I suppose the
Usenet/Facebook difference makes it bigger than that.
Nick
I think the user interface is very different, which triggers/causes a
different way of using.

More people watch live theatre every year than Premier League football
matches. - Libby Purves, RT 2017/9/30-10/6
Penny
2019-10-04 20:29:36 UTC
On Fri, 4 Oct 2019 12:05:54 +0100, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
Post by Nick Odell
only here. And how many people who used to be on umra are now on
Facebook alone. I imagine that's a bit analogous to my involvement in
other usenet groups where I meet the same people but the different mix
makes for different experiences. But somehow I suppose the
Usenet/Facebook difference makes it bigger than that.
Nick
I think the user interface is very different, which triggers/causes a
different way of using.
My facebook contacts split into various groups, some of which overlap.
Family, Umrats, Geograph, Local (mostly acquaintances from various local
physical groups) and a few friends gathered over the years who I rarely see
in person - at least one I haven't seen since we were 11!.

I don't share everything I post with all of them.

It offers my easiest and most used point of contact with d#1 & d#2 - we
have a private chat group on FB Messenger which is really useful,
especially for people living very different lives on very different
timetables, as we do.

Actual usage by all these different people varies enormously. Some share
lots of original stuff, some just pass on links, others mostly lurk and
'like' stuff without saying anything.

And then there's Scrabble (other games are available but I don't play
them).
2019-10-05 07:23:28 UTC
And then there's Scrabble (other games are available but I don't play
them).
I wish you did - it might distract you enough to let me win our Scrabble
games a bit more often.
2019-10-05 09:04:26 UTC
On 5 Oct 2019 07:23:28 GMT, Jim Easterbrook <***@jim-easterbrook.me.uk>
scrawled in the dust...
Post by Jim Easterbrook
Post by Penny
And then there's Scrabble (other games are available but I don't play
them).
I wish you did - it might distract you enough to let me win our Scrabble
games a bit more often.
You've won 3 of the last 5 and I only won one of the others by 5 points.
Anyway, I've always maintained there is a lot of luck in Scrabble. My
protracted lucky streak seems to have streaked off.
2019-10-05 09:25:06 UTC
Post by Jim Easterbrook
I wish you did - it might distract you enough to let me win our Scrabble
games a bit more often.
You've won 3 of the last 5 and I only won one of the others by 5 points.
And the other by 154 points. I don't keep track but I'm sure you win
about 3/4 of our games.
2019-10-03 13:28:47 UTC
[...]
McT will try even harder. Bottoms was entirely right when she said I don’t
‘get bad taste’, the same is mostly true of puns too. Mostly over my head.

Chris
Hbunnet
2019-10-03 13:57:49 UTC
Post by BrritSki
Please post something in reply to this - I have just deleted the 2
entries in my KF, but I suspect that I am on several others, which is
fine, but I'd like this seen as widely as possible.
Thanks if you got this far...
Received and substantially agreed, UMRA is now my only use of Usenet
now. Thanks for your efforts in keeping it going.
Hbunnet
Mike
2019-10-03 14:17:05 UTC
Post by Hbunnet
Received and substantially agreed, UMRA is now my only use of Usenet
now. Thanks for your efforts in keeping it going.
Err..., is there usenet outside of UMRA then?! I’m shocked!
Tony Smith Gloucestershire
2019-10-03 18:59:31 UTC
Sorry. But I was amused by "dolenda" rather than "delenda"
BrritSki
I'm sure I cut-n-pasted that...
Tony Smith Gloucestershire

Sorry. But using "dolenda" rather than "delenda" rather amused me.
Dumrat
2019-10-04 07:13:25 UTC
I'd like to thank umrats who've responded supportively to my lament(able poetic parody),
but I'd ask - where were you in not replying to Sid suggesting a BTN ?  If you all ignore
neoBTM, what hope have I got ?
I've only just seen that post as I haven't been keeping up at the back for a while, sorry!
I'll give it the rest of the year. Who is with me ?
I will give it a go! But see above!
Please post something in reply to this - I have just deleted the 2 entries in my KF, but I
suspect that I am on several others, which is fine, but I'd like this seen as widely as
possible.
Thanks if you got this far...
See above, again - we are in the middle of moving and it's a stressful nightmare, so I
just haven't had a chance to give Umra the serious attention it deserves, for a couple of
months. Though I also have been feeling a bit distant from it all for the past few years -
it's been so long since I lived in England that despite dorter living there now, I'm not
really English enough for Umra any more! Also, thanks to incipient Alzheimer's Lite, I
somehow don't feel as if I have the requisite intellectual capacity to keep up with Umra.
I still listen to TA enough to keep up with what's going on but I never understand the
references to the Continuity Announcer which limits my ability to answer quite a few threads!

Whilst I'm here, may I do an umratic thread swerve (well, detour, really) and ask if the
Umrat (or anyotherrat) who some years ago suggested using cherry pips (I think pips?
Certainly cherries!) for gout (and by extension, arthritic joints) has had any success
using Tart Cherry (ho yess!) Extract?
--
Salaam Alaykum,
Anne, Exceptionally Traditionally-built Dumrat
BrritSki
2019-10-04 07:59:22 UTC
Post by Dumrat
Post by BrritSki
I'll give it the rest of the year. Who is with me ?
I will give it a go! But see above!
Thanks !
Post by Dumrat
Post by BrritSki
Thanks if you got this far...
See above, again - we are in the middle of moving and it's a stressful
nightmare,
Eek, will you still be a Dumrat, revert to being a Gumrat or become a
Bumrat or.... ?
I heard that Tart Cherries don't last that long...
Dumrat
2019-10-04 08:09:34 UTC
Post by Dumrat
Post by BrritSki
Thanks if you got this far...
See above, again - we are in the middle of moving and it's a stressful nightmare,
Eek, will you still be a Dumrat, revert to being a Gumrat or become a Bumrat or.... ?
Still a Dumrat for the moment, and I think when we retire to Athens and Limassol, I will
revert to being a Gumrat (of the Greek kind), rather than a Cypriot one, which could be
badly misinterpreted :)
Post by BrritSki
Post by Dumrat
Whilst I'm here, may I do an umratic thread swerve (well, detour, really) and ask if the
Umrat (or anyotherrat) who some years ago suggested using cherry pips (I think pips?
Certainly cherries!) for gout (and by extension, arthritic joints) has had any success
using Tart Cherry (ho yess!) Extract?
I heard that Tart Cherries don't last that long...
That made me laugh out loud, thank you, Brritski! Cheered up my filthy mood for a bit!
BrritSki
2019-10-04 08:17:32 UTC
Post by Dumrat
Post by BrritSki
Eek, will you still be a Dumrat, revert to being a Gumrat or become a Bumrat or.... ?
Still a Dumrat for the moment, and I think when we retire to Athens and
Limassol, I will revert to being a Gumrat (of the Greek kind), rather
than a Cypriot one, which could be badly misinterpreted :)
That would deserve a BTN (so I'm told)...
Post by Dumrat
Post by BrritSki
I heard that Tart Cherries don't last that long...
That made me laugh out loud...
See, you haven't lost the English idiom, although I know what you mean
about not feeling English after a long time away. It didn't happen in
Italy as we still had UK TV and the internet of course to keep up with
newspapers etc., but it certainly happened in the 5 years we were in
France in the early 80s when we didn't have those links back to Blighty,
just a couple of trips each year.
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2019-10-04 08:47:24 UTC
Post by Dumrat
Post by BrritSki
gout (and by extension, arthritic joints) has had any success using
Tart Cherry (ho yess!) Extract?
I heard that Tart Cherries don't last that long...
That made me laugh out loud, thank you, Brritski! Cheered up my filthy mood for a bit!
Me too! (Though not in a filthy mood. Though about to do battle with car
insurance [last year 259.38 + 45 breakdown = 304.38; no claims or
callouts; renewal 287.34+157.76=445.10; haggle - 258.71+115=373.71, and
this from the AA - so going to hit the sites], which will make me less
sunny.)

"OLTION'S COMPLETE, UNABRIDGED HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE
Bang! ...crumple." - Jery Oltion
Vicky Ayech
2019-10-04 08:08:09 UTC
Post by Dumrat
See above, again - we are in the middle of moving and it's a stressful nightmare, so I
just haven't had a chance to give Umra the serious attention it deserves, for a couple of
months. Though I also have been feeling a bit distant from it all for the past few years -
it's been so long since I lived in England that despite dorter living there now, I'm not
really English enough for Umra any more! Also, thanks to incipient Alzheimer's Lite, I
There is no specific level of English. I often don't feel very English
and have not at various times in my life. You listen to TA and
anyway you are never not suitable for umra once you have been an
umrat.
Post by Dumrat
somehow don't feel as if I have the requisite intellectual capacity to keep up with Umra.
I amnot sure I ever had it. But a few of us feel like that, which is
balanced by those who appear to have it in abundance and maybe that is
a matter of confidence and style.
Post by Dumrat
I still listen to TA enough to keep up with what's going on but I never understand the
references to the Continuity Announcer which limits my ability to answer quite a few threads!
Those announcers are not that relevant quite often. Very misleading.
Post by Dumrat
Whilst I'm here, may I do an umratic thread swerve (well, detour, really) and ask if the
Umrat (or anyotherrat) who some years ago suggested using cherry pips (I think pips?
Certainly cherries!) for gout (and by extension, arthritic joints) has had any success
using Tart Cherry (ho yess!) Extract?
--
I have a feeling cherries might actually be bad. But depends which
folk remedies you hear about.
Kate B
2019-10-04 09:28:28 UTC
Post by Dumrat
Whilst I'm here, may I do an umratic thread swerve (well, detour, really) and ask if the
Umrat (or anyotherrat) who some years ago suggested using cherry pips (I think pips?
Certainly cherries!) for gout (and by extension, arthritic joints) has had any success
using Tart Cherry (ho yess!) Extract?
--
I have a feeling cherries might actually be bad. But depends which
folk remedies you hear about.
Montmorency cherries are supposed to be good against gout. Ralph had
some capsules once after a dose of gout in his thumb. It didn't come
back, but then he'd never had it before, so we wondered whether it
wasn't just common or garden arthritis, which he does have. Sorry, not
very helpful! Good luck with the move xxxx
2019-10-04 08:42:04 UTC
On Fri, 4 Oct 2019 11:13:25 +0400, Dumrat <***@gmail.com> scrawled in
the dust...
Post by Dumrat
Whilst I'm here, may I do an umratic thread swerve (well, detour, really) and ask if the
Umrat (or anyotherrat) who some years ago suggested using cherry pips (I think pips?
Certainly cherries!) for gout (and by extension, arthritic joints) has had any success
using Tart Cherry (ho yess!) Extract?
I vaguely recall cherry juice being suggested for gout. I found that
somewhere on the web and may have shared it here but Ray never tried it as
nobody sells cherry juice here. He ended up taking pills made from some
crocus extract (crocosamine?) - an ancient Egyptian gout remedy which
worked for him (from the pain POV) and may have reduced the number of sites
it turned up in - who knows? It's fairly toxic though.
2019-10-04 08:40:18 UTC
In message <***@mid.individual.net>, Dumrat
<***@gmail.com> writes:
[]
feeling a bit distant from it all for the past few years - it's been so
long since I lived in England that despite dorter living there now, I'm
not really English enough for Umra any more! Also, thanks to incipient
IKWYM - I feel UMRA is very English, in a way that's hard to define.
However, you're a very long-established UMRAt, and would be missed;
also, as another has said, once an UMRAt ...
Alzheimer's Lite, I somehow don't feel as if I have the requisite
intellectual capacity to keep up with Umra. I still listen to TA enough
Don't worry: I think we've lost some of the Great Brains - TNMF and LFF,
Sebastian ... but even when they were all here, I never felt inhibited.
I've found that with the really Great Brains: I knew quite a few when I
was at (what was when I joined it) Marconi Research Centre, and I found
the _truly_ great ones were quiet, friendly people, who never made me
feel inferior, and would talk to me quite happily. (One or two of them
had the priceless ability to _explain_ things in terms we lesser brains
could understand - with no even whiff of condescension; they just saw it
as part of their job [which I suppose it was].)
to keep up with what's going on but I never understand the references
to the Continuity Announcer which limits my ability to answer quite a
few threads!
The continuity announcer often makes some off-the-cuff comment, usually
about what's been happening in the last few seconds of the prog.; you
can tell which ones were actually listening (and are probably fans) when
they do that. Chris (McT) often relays what they said. (Otherrats too,
but Chris started it and does it most often.)
Whilst I'm here, may I do an umratic thread swerve (well, detour,
OF COURSE! As you said, thread swerves R UMRA!

"OLTION'S COMPLETE, UNABRIDGED HISTORY OF THE UNIVERSE
Bang! ...crumple." - Jery Oltion
Chris McMillan
2019-10-04 12:50:05 UTC
Post by Dumrat
[...]
Oh so sorry, Dumrat. Basically, listen as closely as the continuity must
be, between us two we memorise their thinking and I type it.

Sincerely Chris
Steve Hague
2019-10-04 14:51:38 UTC
Post by Dumrat
Whilst I'm here, may I do an umratic thread swerve (well, detour,
really) and ask if the Umrat (or anyotherrat) who some years ago
suggested using cherry pips (I think pips? Certainly cherries!) for gout
(and by extension, arthritic joints) has had any success using Tart
Cherry (ho yess!) Extract?
I'm not convinced diet has much to do with gout. I think if you've a
propensity to it, you get it. I used to get it on an irregular basis
over many years. I've probably had it six or seven times, but not now
for about four years. The recommended foods when I first got it were
mostly different from what's recommended now, but that's over a twenty
odd year period. I remember oily fish being one of the best things to
eat if you had gout in the 1990s, but in 2015, it was one of the worst.
I think you just take the medication and wait for the bout to pass. It
doesn't half hurt though.
2019-10-04 15:19:48 UTC
Post by Steve Hague
I'm not convinced diet has much to do with gout.
<snip>
It doesn't half hurt though.

Indeed it does. Make you hopping mad too, especially if you#re on a
skiing holiday.
Nick Odell
2019-10-05 10:32:38 UTC
On Fri, 4 Oct 2019 15:51:38 +0100, Steve Hague
Post by Steve Hague
Post by Dumrat
[...]
That's been my experience too yet the medics still go straight to the
diet - well mine do. She even told me to stop taking my cod-liver oil
capsules because of the beef gelatin in the casing.

I don't think gout is on my NHS record because I only seem to get it
south of the equator. Which is odd because my diet in the UK would be
considered more goutable than what I eat elsewhere. Hence my feeling
that, in my case at least, diet isn't the cause.

2019-10-05 10:57:02 UTC
In message <***@4ax.com>, Nick Odell
<***@themusicworkshop.plus.com> writes:
That's been my experience too yet the medics still go straight to the
diet - well mine do. She even told me to stop taking my cod-liver oil
capsules because of the beef gelatin in the casing.
[]
Are no other casing materials available? (Or could you take it by spoon
[maybe in a honey mixture if the taste's as bad as comics used to
portray it]?)

If you can't stand the heat, stay out of the kitchen. And I'm not getting out
of the kitchen for a long time yet. - Petula Clark (at 83), RT 2016/10/22-28
Anne B
2019-10-04 17:25:55 UTC
Post by BrritSki
[...]
Worry not, I am not English at all but I can cope with UMRA.

Anne B
Jane Vernon
2019-10-04 12:13:53 UTC
[...]
I don't read umra all the time at the moment. It's probably been more
than a week and today's quick glance is just to establish what new
threads are about (in both senses of the word).

1. I don't think umra is dying.
2. I like your posts.

Will that do?
--
Jane
BTME

2019-10-04 12:30:52 UTC
I don't read umra all the time at the moment.  It's probably  been more
than a week and today's quick glance is just to establish what new
threads are about (in both senses of the word).
1.  I don't think umra is dying.
Each to their own :)
2.  I like your posts.
Thanks and I'm sure a lot of people do like a lot of everyone's posts,
but my point is, if there are no replies to any of those posts, how do
people know they are liked ?

Anyway, I hope you are well and it's nice to see you posting again.
Let's hope we see more of you (fnarr fnarr).
Min
2019-10-04 23:01:41 UTC
Post by Jane Vernon
I don't read umra all the time at the moment. It's probably been more
than a week and today's quick glance is just to establish what new
threads are about (in both senses of the word).
1. I don't think umra is dying.
2. I like your posts.
Will that do?
--
Jane
I came back to umra (desperately thinking of some PC way to put this)
because, although there are some genuine umrats on the FB group, the
erme...Intellectual Quality of the Totality was somewhat less. I don't
(honestly) mean that they were stupid, but there were things that, after
years on umra, that I could spot a mile off that they were completely
oblivious of - if Clarrie (e.g.) says how everything was going so well,
it's an obvious sign of another Grundy catastrophe. Missed. Anyway, FB,
is, IMHO, a Good Thing, and umra is a Better Thing. But I do miss a 'Like'
button!
Min
BrritSki
<like>
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2019-10-05 11:00:18 UTC
Post by Min
But I do miss a 'Like'
button!
<like>
I miss a "dislike" (or disagree, as appropriate) button more, on the
things that _do_ have "like".

Peter Percival
2019-10-04 17:07:52 UTC
[...]
Will umra flounder without fish puns?
Thanks if you got this far...
Mike
2019-10-04 18:02:24 UTC
Post by Peter Percival
Will umra flounder without fish puns?
We would just have to fillet with some ling else.