What we did on our holidays...
2020-09-18 14:12:38 UTC
Well as I mentioned a couple of days ago, we arrived safely in Lourdas
and I was randomly chosen for a COVID test at the airport. I was
supposed to be told if I was positive today, but no news yet.

Wednesday afternoon was very hot and a bit blowy, but we managed a
couple of hours on the beach and a swim and then had a very nice meal
out at our favourite fish restaurant that is very near to our apartment
block. That night was very hot and also very noisy as the wind got up
and was driving the waves high up the beach. So it didn't much matter if
we had the AC on as we couldn't hear it.

Yesterday we woke up to very heavy rain showers, but we ventured out
during the dry spells, walked to our second favourite restaurant where
we booked a table for dinner and then on the way back I couldn't resist
a quick dip in the crashing waves. Getting back to the rooms, we looked
at the weather forecast to find it was going to get worse and we were
facing a Mediturricane !

We decided to venture out again and have lunch rather than dinner and
made a very good choice as the wind and the rain since yesterday evening
have been appalling. We even had automatic weather warnings on our
phones in both Greek and English.

Amazingly the internet and mobile phone links are still working, so we
can see what is happening in the world but there are several trees down
and the swifts and swallows are all taking cover on the shutters and
windowsills. We have balconies on 2 sides of the rooms, so there is a
bit of shelter for them and for us to see out.

Haven't ventured out at all today, too dangerous apart from the fact
that my old pacamac is useless in even the slight shower we encountered
yesterday, so it will not be pacamaced home.

Luckily we'd kept a doggie bag of a left over pork skewer with some
sachets of olive oil salt and pepper and bread from lunch yesterday, so
with the wine, bread, ham and cheese left by the owners we are keeping
hunger from the door. Croque monsieur for tea I think !

Pictures here if you are interested: https://www.instagram.com/rogertil/
Penny
2020-09-18 14:40:15 UTC
On Fri, 18 Sep 2020 15:12:38 +0100, BrritSki <***@gmail.com>
Amazingly the internet and mobile phone links are still working, so we
can see what is happening in the world but there are several trees down
and the swifts and swallows are all taking cover on the shutters and
windowsills. We have balconies on 2 sides of the rooms, so there is a
bit of shelter for them and for us to see out.
I don't think I've ever seen quite so many swallows in such a small space!
2020-09-18 15:21:28 UTC
Amazingly the internet and mobile phone links are still working, so we
can see what is happening in the world but there are several trees down
and the swifts and swallows are all taking cover on the shutters and
windowsills. We have balconies on 2 sides of the rooms, so there is a
bit of shelter for them and for us to see out.
I don't think I've ever seen quite so many swallows in such a small space!
Well I just went into the bathroom where we'd left the small window open
for some air and there were at least 30 of the poor little beggars in
there. Getting out was fun, clearing up not so much...
Nick Odell
2020-09-18 22:42:10 UTC
Post by BrritSki
[...]
We are still shuttered up here so I envy the range of pictures you
have taken and the opportunities you have had to take them! Stay safe
and have a safe journey home when the time comes.

2020-09-19 05:53:12 UTC
We are still shuttered up here so I envy the range of pictures you
have taken and the opportunities you have had to take them! Stay safe
and have a safe journey home when the time comes.
Yes, we're not really complaining, we appreciate we are fortunate to be
able to travel at all and we will be careful, both with the wind and the
virus.
Peter
2020-09-19 08:40:13 UTC
We are still shuttered up here so I envy the range of pictures you
have taken and the opportunities you have had to take them! Stay safe
and have a safe journey home when the time comes.
Yes, we're not really complaining, we appreciate we are fortunate to be
able to travel at all and we will be careful, both with the wind and the
An appropriate diet might help.
virus.
BrritSki
2020-09-25 07:24:25 UTC
Stay safe and have a safe journey home when the time comes.
Well we did have a safe journey home that was very easy and early too
with reduced crowds at Gatwick.

It was also rather painful for me as I perforated my eardrum on Tuesday
clearing my ears after snorkelling. Very unpleasant, I'll spare you the
gory details, but I was able to get a phone consultation with my GP from
the beach in Greece and will see him/her today to hpefully get some
antibiotics as it seems to be infected :(

Had to stay out of the sea of course which was a shame as the
mid-holiday weather was gorgeous, sunny, not too hot and calm. That
ended when we got home after dinner on Wednesday when an electrical
storm started that went on for about 8 hours and knocked the electricity
out so no tea in bed yesterday morning and it took ages for the restaus
to clear up, find and start generators etc before we could have breakfast.

Despite all this we really enjoyed the holiday. Lourdas is beautiful and
very quiet, the food was lovely esp. the fresh fish at Lithero and the
moussaka and Kefalonian meat pie at Klimatis, the beach is mostly empty
and clean as is the water and crystal clear once the turbulence of the
storm had abated.

And the people are just lovely, especially the Aus/Greeks at Lithero who
were not at all worried when we had no cash on the last night (the ATM
was down all week) and just said pay us when you come back next year. We
were rescued by Yanis, our lovely taxi driver who lent us €50 to pay the
restau and then waited while we got money out at the airport to pay his
fare and repay the loan.

People at Vivian apartments were also delightful and everyone else we
met at bars and restaurants.

Min
2020-09-19 01:26:27 UTC
[...]
Wow, Brritski, Stay Safe! I hope somebody feeds you both soon...
Min
BrritSki
2020-09-19 05:52:00 UTC
Post by Min
Wow, Brritski, Stay Safe! I hope somebody feeds you both soon...
Croque monsieur was delicious ! Much brighter today but still windy.
Off out in a minute for a fry up...