From Twitter
2019-05-30 22:26:56 UTC
Gillian Richmond @WriterRichmond tweeted 16h16 hours ago

On Tuesday at #thearchers monthly script meeting we honoured the
legendary #MaryCutler who is leaving Ambridge after 40 years. She is the
creator of countless iconic Borsetshire characters, stories and moments.
Please join us in raising a glass of Tumble Tussock to her genius.

I fear this can only be bad news.
2019-05-31 07:31:27 UTC
On Tuesday at #thearchers monthly script meeting we honoured the
legendary #MaryCutler who is leaving Ambridge after 40 years. She is the
creator of countless iconic Borsetshire characters, stories and moments.
Please join us in raising a glass of Tumble Tussock to her genius.
I fear this can only be bad news.
For whom?

Not for Mary Cutler, I feel. I imagine she has decided that, rather than
being found, three days later, slumped over her typewriter, the word
Borcetshireeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
being the last thing she wrote, she's going to take "early" retirement.

At about seventy-five years of age would be my guess.

Sincerely Chris
SODAM
The thinking umrat’s choice for editor
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2019-05-31 16:59:10 UTC
On Tuesday at #thearchers monthly script meeting we honoured the
legendary #MaryCutler who is leaving Ambridge after 40 years. She is
the creator of countless iconic Borsetshire characters, stories and
moments. Please join us in raising a glass of Tumble Tussock to her genius.
I fear this can only be bad news.
For whom?
Not for Mary Cutler, I feel. I imagine she has decided that, rather
than being found, three days later, slumped over her typewriter, the
word Borcetshireeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Loved it!
Post by Nick Odell
eee being the last thing she wrote, she's going to take "early"
retirement.
At about seventy-five years of age would be my guess.
Nick
Certainly worthy of the Tumble Tussock toast suggested.

(_Does_ cider have a following the way wines do?)

… too popular actually to be any good. - Alison Graham in Radio Times 2-8
February 2013
Mike
2019-05-31 07:31:57 UTC
On Tuesday at #thearchers monthly script meeting we honoured the
legendary #MaryCutler who is leaving Ambridge after 40 years. She is the
creator of countless iconic Borsetshire characters, stories and moments.
Please join us in raising a glass of Tumble Tussock to her genius.
I fear this can only be bad news.
Not all changes have to be bad ones - so why are they almost every time???
2019-05-31 08:20:39 UTC
On Tuesday at #thearchers monthly script meeting we honoured the
legendary #MaryCutler who is leaving Ambridge after 40 years. She is the
creator of countless iconic Borsetshire characters, stories and moments.
Please join us in raising a glass of Tumble Tussock to her genius.
I fear this can only be bad news.
Not all changes have to be bad ones - so why are they almost every time???
Schlimmverbesserung.

john
vk
Bless you.
Sid Nuncius
2019-05-31 17:42:24 UTC
Not all changes have to be bad ones - so why are they almost every time???
Schlimmverbesserung.
That's easy for you to say.
Rosemary Miskin
2019-05-31 09:45:10 UTC
Not all changes have to be bad ones - so why are they almost every time???
Hutber's law: Improvement means deterioration.

Rosemary
krw
2019-05-31 10:07:56 UTC
Post by Rosemary Miskin
Post by Mike
Not all changes have to be bad ones - so why are they almost every time???
Hutber's law: Improvement means deterioration.
Rosemary
Dear Patrick - I always liked his financial view in the Mail.
Tony Smith Gloucestershire
The mother of a school friend knew this phenomenon before "Hutber" but I cannot recall her name for it.
Penny
2019-05-31 07:37:02 UTC
On Thu, 30 May 2019 23:26:56 +0100, krw <***@whitnet.uk> scrawled in the
dust...
Post by krw
On Tuesday at #thearchers monthly script meeting we honoured the
legendary #MaryCutler who is leaving Ambridge after 40 years. She is the
creator of countless iconic Borsetshire characters, stories and moments.
Please join us in raising a glass of Tumble Tussock to her genius.
I fear this can only be bad news.
Indeed, she has always handled difficult and emotional storylines well. I
hope some of her skill may have rubbed off on the others but I sometimes
wonder if scriptwriters listen to the programme.
2019-05-31 10:09:02 UTC
but I sometimes
wonder if scriptwriters listen to the programme.
Not in the same level of detail as the listeners do judging by some of
the rubbish which is served up.

Has anyone else ranted at the waste of Patricia Hodge the Sunday before
last?
2019-05-31 16:57:20 UTC
but I sometimes
wonder if scriptwriters listen to the programme.
Not in the same level of detail as the listeners do judging by some of
the rubbish which is served up.
Has anyone else ranted at the waste of Patricia Hodge the Sunday before
last?
No (I hadn't read the cast list so didn't realise it was her). But maybe
she wasn't/isn't available for a long stint, and someone leapt at the
chance to use her briefly (and/or, maybe she's known to have said she'd
like to cameo in TA and the opportunity arose/was created).

… too popular actually to be any good. - Alison Graham in Radio Times 2-8
February 2013
SODAM
2019-06-02 11:04:12 UTC
but I sometimes
wonder if scriptwriters listen to the programme.
Not in the same level of detail as the listeners do judging by some of
the rubbish which is served up.
Has anyone else ranted at the waste of Patricia Hodge the Sunday before
last?
YANAOU. It was not only a waste of a good actress but also the dialogue she
was given was truly appalling. One way to establish character through
dialogue is to do it gently, through subtle hints and irony, and the other
is to lay it down in slabs repeatedly in case the listeners missed the
point the first few times.

Aaarrgghh!
Vicky Ayech
2019-06-02 16:02:47 UTC
Post by SODAM
but I sometimes
wonder if scriptwriters listen to the programme.
Not in the same level of detail as the listeners do judging by some of
the rubbish which is served up.
Has anyone else ranted at the waste of Patricia Hodge the Sunday before
last?
YANAOU. It was not only a waste of a good actress but also the dialogue she
was given was truly appalling. One way to establish character through
dialogue is to do it gently, through subtle hints and irony, and the other
is to lay it down in slabs repeatedly in case the listeners missed the
point the first few times.
Aaarrgghh!
Yes, definitely a caricature.