Viennese Whirls
2018-07-22 18:45:55 UTC
What have they got against Viennese Whirls in Ambridge?

I think they are perfectly OK. I wouldn't say that they are my favourite
cake (*), but I would choose them in preference to many other types of
cake that might be on offer.

(*) I'm not sure that I have a favourite cake, actually.
2018-07-22 19:05:00 UTC
On Sun, 22 Jul 2018 19:45:55 +0100, carolet <***@btinternet.com>
What have they got against Viennese Whirls in Ambridge?
I think they are perfectly OK. I wouldn't say that they are my favourite
cake (*), but I would choose them in preference to many other types of
cake that might be on offer.
I'm very fond of them (which is why I never buy them) but I'd call them a
biscuit.
2018-07-22 19:13:41 UTC
What have they got against Viennese Whirls in Ambridge?
I think they are perfectly OK. I wouldn't say that they are my favourite
cake (*), but I would choose them in preference to many other types of
cake that might be on offer.
I'm very fond of them (which is why I never buy them) but I'd call them a
biscuit.
Are they not very sweet?
2018-07-22 20:43:02 UTC
On Sun, 22 Jul 2018 19:13:41 -0000 (UTC), Btms <***@thetames.me.uk>
What have they got against Viennese Whirls in Ambridge?
I think they are perfectly OK. I wouldn't say that they are my favourite
cake (*), but I would choose them in preference to many other types of
cake that might be on offer.
I'm very fond of them (which is why I never buy them) but I'd call them a
biscuit.
Are they not very sweet?
No sweeter than other biscuits sandwiched with icing and jam. I like the
texture.
2018-07-22 21:11:55 UTC
What have they got against Viennese Whirls in Ambridge?
I think they are perfectly OK. I wouldn't say that they are my favourite
cake (*), but I would choose them in preference to many other types of
cake that might be on offer.
I'm very fond of them (which is why I never buy them) but I'd call them a
biscuit.
Are they not very sweet?
No sweeter than other biscuits sandwiched with icing and jam. I like the
texture.
I think my Mother might have bought them. Very soft iirc and a bit like
shortbread. Wonder why Viennese. Probably some ancient recipe once made
by grand patisseries.
Marmaduke Jinks
2018-07-22 21:57:45 UTC
On Sun, 22 Jul 2018 19:45:55 +0100, carolet
What have they got against Viennese Whirls in Ambridge?
I think they are perfectly OK. I wouldn't say that they are my favourite
cake (*), but I would choose them in preference to many other types of
cake that might be on offer.
I'm very fond of them (which is why I never buy them) but I'd call them a
biscuit.
Are they not very sweet?
No sweeter than other biscuits sandwiched with icing and jam. I like the
texture.
I think my Mother might have bought them. Very soft iirc and a bit like
shortbread. Wonder why Viennese. Probably some ancient recipe once made
by grand patisseries.
Or "Vietnamese whirls" as Count Arthur Strong would say ;-)

MJ
BrritSki
2018-07-23 09:34:05 UTC
Post by Marmaduke Jinks
On Sun, 22 Jul 2018 19:45:55 +0100, carolet
What have they got against Viennese Whirls in Ambridge?
I think they are perfectly OK. I wouldn't say that they are my favourite
cake (*), but I would choose them in preference to many other types of
cake that might be on offer.
I'm very fond of them (which is why I never buy them) but I'd call them a
biscuit.
Are they not very sweet?
No sweeter than other biscuits sandwiched with icing and jam. I like the
texture.
I think my Mother might have bought them. Very soft iirc and a bit like
shortbread. Wonder why Viennese. Probably some ancient recipe once made
by grand patisseries.
Or "Vietnamese whirls" as Count Arthur Strong would say ;-)
The things they can do with a ping-pong ba... Oh, sorry, thought you
said Girls...
Chris McMillan

2018-07-23 16:40:37 UTC
On Mon, 23 Jul 2018 15:29:14 GMT, Chris McMillan
Post by Chris McMillan
Post by Marmaduke Jinks
On Sun, 22 Jul 2018 19:45:55 +0100, carolet
What have they got against Viennese Whirls in Ambridge?
I think they are perfectly OK. I wouldn't say that they are my favourite
cake (*), but I would choose them in preference to many other types of
cake that might be on offer.
I'm very fond of them (which is why I never buy them) but I'd call them a
biscuit.
Are they not very sweet?
No sweeter than other biscuits sandwiched with icing and jam. I like the
texture.
I think my Mother might have bought them. Very soft iirc and a bit like
shortbread. Wonder why Viennese. Probably some ancient recipe once made
by grand patisseries.
Or "Vietnamese whirls" as Count Arthur Strong would say ;-)
MJ
Vicky?
Sincerely Chris
You are asking if I know why they are called Viennese? I don't know.
My mum never had these in the biscuit barrel. I wonder what happened
to it. It was orange and grey and I think had a dragon on it. I should
know, as I lifted the lid and ate all the biscuits often enough :)
Chris McMillan
2018-07-23 17:21:17 UTC
Post by Chris McMillan
Post by Marmaduke Jinks
[...]
I also wondered if they would have been made at home as I’m seeing recipes
on line

2018-07-23 18:08:59 UTC
On Mon, 23 Jul 2018 17:21:17 GMT, Chris McMillan
Post by Vicky Ayech
You are asking if I know why they are called Viennese? I don't know.
My mum never had these in the biscuit barrel. I wonder what happened
to it. It was orange and grey and I think had a dragon on it. I should
know, as I lifted the lid and ate all the biscuits often enough :)
I also wondered if they would have been made at home as I’m seeing recipes
on line
We made them at school - called Viennese shortbread I think - not
sandwiched with icing but topped with a bit of glacé cherry.
2018-07-23 18:22:57 UTC
Post by Chris McMillan
Post by Marmaduke Jinks
[...]
I don't think they would survive being shaken around in a biscuit
barrel. Even if they are a bit more biscuity than most cakes, I think
they would be happier sitting in a cake box.
2018-08-13 14:09:18 UTC
I don't think they would survive being shaken around in a biscuit
barrel. Even if they are a bit more biscuity than most cakes, I think
they would be happier sitting in a cake box.
Did I imagine that one of the factors quoted to support the
contention that a Jaffa Cake was a cake rather than a biscuit was
that it is put in a container to stop it drying out, whereas a
biscuit is boxed to stop it going soggy?

***@cdixon.me.uk
2018-08-13 15:06:46 UTC
Post by Chris J Dixon
Post by carolet
I don't think they would survive being shaken around in a biscuit
barrel. Even if they are a bit more biscuity than most cakes, I think
they would be happier sitting in a cake box.
Did I imagine that one of the factors quoted to support the
contention that a Jaffa Cake was a cake rather than a biscuit was
that it is put in a container to stop it drying out, whereas a
biscuit is boxed to stop it going soggy?
Chris
I think many weasel words were employed in the court over that one!
2018-08-13 19:21:41 UTC
On Mon, 13 Aug 2018 15:09:18 +0100, Chris J Dixon <***@cdixon.me.uk>
scrawled in the dust...
Post by Chris J Dixon
Did I imagine that one of the factors quoted to support the
contention that a Jaffa Cake was a cake rather than a biscuit was
that it is put in a container to stop it drying out, whereas a
biscuit is boxed to stop it going soggy?
That's my recollection and it makes sense to me.
2018-08-13 21:32:51 UTC
Post by Chris J Dixon
Did I imagine that one of the factors quoted to support the
contention that a Jaffa Cake was a cake rather than a biscuit was
that it is put in a container to stop it drying out, whereas a
biscuit is boxed to stop it going soggy?
That's my recollection and it makes sense to me.
Yup. It's a cake which just happens to be shaped much like a biscuit.
2018-07-25 13:58:19 UTC
Post by Chris McMillan
Post by Marmaduke Jinks
[...]
Coming in a bit late to the conversation.... I think they are supposed
to be a kind of imitation kipferl, which is a very light almond butter
shortbread which needs no jam and cream to melt in the mouth. I think
there is also a kind of Viennese Jammy Dodger, also of shortbread, but I
can't remember what it's called.
2018-07-26 03:07:40 UTC
Post by Chris McMillan
Post by Marmaduke Jinks
[...]
But kipferl are traditionally crescent shaped, aren't they? Anyway,
thanks for the reminder, I now know what I'll make for the afternoon tea
we're hosting on Sunday.
2018-07-26 08:06:20 UTC
Post by Chris McMillan
Post by Marmaduke Jinks
[...]
I've never made kipferl but have eaten them. I don't think my mum or
grandmotehr made them. I must have been visiting someone. My mum's
entertaining thing was very good chocolate-cake-almost-sacher-torte or
Bakewell Tart.
Btms
2018-07-26 08:39:35 UTC
Post by Chris McMillan
Post by Marmaduke Jinks
[...]
May I mention, I have not received my invite as yet 🧐
2018-07-26 10:54:08 UTC
Post by Chris McMillan
Post by Marmaduke Jinks
[...]
It’s probably in the dog.
2018-07-26 11:51:55 UTC
Post by LFS
But kipferl are traditionally crescent shaped, aren't they? Anyway,
thanks for the reminder, I now know what I'll make for the afternoon
tea we're hosting on Sunday.
May I mention, I have not received my invite as yet 🧐
It’s probably in the dog.
I liked this New Yorker cartoon Niles linked to on Twitter & Facebook the
other day.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BllB4OBDIE1/

Sincerely Chris
SODAM
2018-07-26 15:01:28 UTC
Post by Chris McMillan
Post by Marmaduke Jinks
[...]
Yes, because they know which side their bread is buttered, dear. They would
not wish for an “incident”, would they?
--
SODAM
The thinking umrat’s choice for editor
Btms
2018-07-26 20:23:53 UTC
Post by SODAM
Post by Btms
Post by Chris McMillan
Post by Marmaduke Jinks
[...]
How cruel.

Interesting phrase that. Anyone got a Brewers handy?
2018-07-26 20:49:11 UTC
Post by SODAM
Post by Btms
Post by Chris McMillan
Post by Marmaduke Jinks
[...]
Yes.

Oh.

It (in its concise form) merely explains the meaning.

I am reminded, however, of the Irish peasant farmer who one morning is
startled by a sheep baaing outside his window and knocks his toast onto
the floor where it lands with the butter side up. Later that morning he
tells his neighbour this who says that it is a most unusual occurrence,
and suggests they go and talk to the priest. The priest is likewise
astonished and drives the pair of them over to the bishop where the man
tells his story <You might like to imagine the story being recounted
over and over again here>. The bishop says that there may be mysterious
forces at work and they should consult with the cardinal archbishop aof
all Ireland. The bishop's secretary hastily arranges train tickets and
they all go off to visit the cardinal. On hearing the story of the toast
that landed butter side up the cardinal says that there is every
possibility that a miracle has occurred, but that to be sure about it
they must consult with His Holiness the Pope. Within a few hoursthe
farmer, his neighbour, the priest, bishop and archbishop are all on
board a flight for Rome, where they are met by a limousine at the
airport and driven to the Vatican.

His Holiness listens intently to the farmer who tells him how that
morning he was sitting at his breakfast when he was startled by a sheep
bleating under his window, turned sharply and knocked the toast off his
table an onto the floor, where, in a miraculous manner it landed with
the buttered side uppermost. The Pope steepled his fingers and thought
for a long time before he spoke. When at last he did, he said:

"My son, it is very clear. You buttered the wrong side."

They are like really bad shortbread. With very commercial filling.
steveski
2018-07-23 00:58:33 UTC
What have they got against Viennese Whirls in Ambridge?
They are an Abomination unto Nuggan.
2018-07-23 06:46:11 UTC
What have they got against Viennese Whirls in Ambridge?
They are an Abomination unto Nuggan.
:o))

I never eat them, so have managed to spend years thinking that Viennese
Whirls were those chocolate thingies we used to have as a very
occasional treat when I were a nipper. You know - about 2 or 3 inches
high[1] sort of conical and with a spiral whirly pattern in the
chocolate. What were they, then?

Hang on...<dim light dawns>
Am I thinking of a Walnut Whip, perhaps?

<google, google>

Er...as you were. Walnut Whip it is. Glad I found that out; it may
avoid severe social embarrassment in future.

This has been a Public Service Completely Pointless Post.

[1]Centimetres hadn't been invented in them days.
2-3 inches tall Sid ? Bit of Trumpian exaggeration there methinks :)
Sid Nuncius
2018-07-23 10:16:02 UTC
What have they got against Viennese Whirls in Ambridge?
They are an Abomination unto Nuggan.
:o))
I never eat them, so have managed to spend years thinking that
Viennese Whirls were those chocolate thingies we used to have as a
very occasional treat when I were a nipper.  You know - about 2 or 3
inches high[1] sort of conical and with a spiral whirly pattern in the
chocolate.  What were they, then?
Hang on...<dim light dawns>
Am I thinking of a Walnut Whip, perhaps?
<google, google>
Er...as you were.  Walnut Whip it is.  Glad I found that out; it may
avoid severe social embarrassment in future.
This has been a Public Service Completely Pointless Post.
[1]Centimetres hadn't been invented in them days.
2-3 inches tall Sid ?  Bit of Trumpian exaggeration there methinks :)
I got no problems in that area, believe me.
Sad. It's gonna be huge.
Mike
2018-07-23 10:17:54 UTC
What have they got against Viennese Whirls in Ambridge?
They are an Abomination unto Nuggan.
:o))
I never eat them, so have managed to spend years thinking that Viennese
Whirls were those chocolate thingies we used to have as a very
occasional treat when I were a nipper.  You know - about 2 or 3 inches
high[1] sort of conical and with a spiral whirly pattern in the
chocolate.  What were they, then?
Hang on...<dim light dawns>
Am I thinking of a Walnut Whip, perhaps?
<google, google>
Er...as you were.  Walnut Whip it is.  Glad I found that out; it may
avoid severe social embarrassment in future.
This has been a Public Service Completely Pointless Post.
[1]Centimetres hadn't been invented in them days.
2-3 inches tall Sid ? Bit of Trumpian exaggeration there methinks :)
‘You mis-understand me here, I said two to three inches tall, y’know like
each one is about an inch tall and no-one would eat less than two, probably
three, after all the Mexicans are paying for them, you know they are, so
that’s alright, yes you know it is - I say what I mean so you should listen
more closely, yes.’