OT: Cricket
2021-02-04 09:07:31 UTC
Good news that the cricket will be on Channel 4. No doubt you'll all be
up at 4 for a^H the toss ?

<beam> ers may not be much use on Indian wickets, but I hope I'm wrong.

Also 6N rugby on terrestrial TV - a weekend festival of sport. :)
steve hague
2021-02-04 10:19:57 UTC
Good news that the cricket will be on Channel 4. No doubt you'll all be
up at 4 for a^H the toss ?
<beam> ers may not be much use on Indian wickets, but I hope I'm wrong.
Also 6N rugby on terrestrial TV - a weekend festival of sport.  :)
It could be a tough series for England. India have just demonstrated
that they can beat Australia with their 2nd team.
BrritSki
2021-02-04 10:56:26 UTC
Post by steve hague
Post by BrritSki
Good news that the cricket will be on Channel 4. No doubt you'll all
be up at 4 for a^H the toss ?
It could be a tough series for England. India have just demonstrated
that they can beat Australia with their 2nd team.
Yes, it will be a tough series. Depends a lot on how well our fast
bowlers play and whether the wickets suit them.

And how much the batsmen learned from playing spin and watching Root in
Sri Lanka...

... who are a much weaker side than India agreed.
Peter
2021-02-04 18:31:36 UTC
Good news that the cricket will be on Channel 4. No doubt you'll all be
up at 4 for a^H the toss ?
<beam> ers may not be much use on Indian wickets, but I hope I'm wrong.
Also 6N rugby on terrestrial TV - a weekend festival of sport.  :)
I remember playing cricket as a child. The batsman stood with his legs
together holding the bat in front of him, and the bowler would throw the
ball at the bat with a view to either hitting batsman's legs or catching
the ball if the batsman struck it.

It pleases me no end to know that such an innocent childhood
entertainment is now televised.

Rugby? I saw it at big school. I recall boys grappling with one
another in the mud and then having a communal shower. Aha!, thought I,
an entertainment for faggots. So I was not interested.

[May a comma follow an exclamation mark?]
--
When, once, reference was made to a statesman almost universally
recognized as one of the villains of this century, in order to
Ernst Specker on Paul Bernays
Sid Nuncius
2021-02-04 19:58:21 UTC
Rugby?  I saw it at big school.  I recall boys grappling with one
another in the mud and then having a communal shower.  Aha!, thought I,
an entertainment for faggots.  So I was not interested.
[May a comma follow an exclamation mark?]
I'm not sure. I do, however, know that it should under no circumstances
be followed by such an obnoxiously offensive term as "faggots".
--
Sid
Min
Min
BrritSki
2021-02-05 08:50:49 UTC
Goes without saying. Killfile the troll, you know it makes sense....
DavidK
2021-02-05 09:58:10 UTC
Goes without saying. Killfile the troll, you know it makes sense....
I still subscribe to sci.math but it's not knee-deep, it's drowning in
trolls. So, I started kill-filing the trolls but I still saw their
reflection in the posts of the people who replied to trolls. So
then I started kill-filing anyone who replied to trolls with a very
small exception of some people on my white list. But then the nitwits
started using multiple new names to reply to trolls. Sigh
steve hague
That happens on uk.sport.cricket too. Sigh indeed.
Sid Nuncius
2021-02-05 19:03:12 UTC
Post by Min
I'm not sure. I do, however, know that it should under no circumstances
be followed by such an obnoxiously offensive term as "faggots".
Wot Sid said.
Goes without saying. Killfile the troll, you know it makes sense....
I have never killfiled an umrat and I'm reluctant to start now. There
have been some posters here with whom I choose not to engage, but I am
not prepared to allow such an egregious piece of bigotry as the above to
go unremarked and unchallenged.

On previous form we will now probably get
a) a lot of obfuscatory non-sequiturs posing as evidential support,
b) aggressive accusations of wanting Thought Police to round people up
and put them in camps,
or
c) sickening faux self-abasement as distraction technique.
This, I will ignore.

On the original topic of this thread, the boy Root done good, eh?
--
Sid
2021-02-05 20:45:51 UTC
On the original topic of this thread, the boy Root done good, eh?
Yup. Definitely fitting that he got 100 in his 100th Test. Let's hope he
gets another 100 to add to it tomorrow :)
Sid Nuncius
2021-02-06 08:26:24 UTC
On the original topic of this thread, the boy Root done good, eh?
Yup. Definitely fitting that he got 100 in his 100th Test. Let's hope he
gets another 100 to add to it tomorrow :)
<beam>
--
Sid
300 ? 333+ ?
Sid Nuncius
2021-02-06 10:08:09 UTC
On the original topic of this thread, the boy Root done good, eh?
Yup. Definitely fitting that he got 100 in his 100th Test. Let's
hope he gets another 100 to add to it tomorrow :)
<beam>
300 ?  333+ ?
Er...no.
<yawn>It's cricket like this that gets it a bad name</yawn>

<beam>Rugby later!</beam>
BrritSki
2021-02-06 11:24:33 UTC
Post by DavidK
<yawn>It's cricket like this that gets it a bad name</yawn>
What ? It's a fascinating contest and the next 3 days are eagerly
anticipated to see if our fast bowlers can wreak havoc on a team very
tired from 2 and a bit [TBD] days in the field. :)
Post by DavidK
<beam>Rugby later!</beam>
<LW>
DavidK
2021-02-09 09:50:18 UTC
Post by DavidK
<yawn>It's cricket like this that gets it a bad name</yawn>
What ?  It's a fascinating contest and the next 3 days are eagerly
anticipated to see if our fast bowlers can wreak havoc on a team very
tired from 2 and a bit [TBD] days in the field.  :)
Post by DavidK
<beam>Rugby later!</beam>
<LW>
Yes, I was wrong. The snowflakes are dancing happily around the infernal
flames.
BrritSki
2021-02-06 11:21:16 UTC
On the original topic of this thread, the boy Root done good, eh?
Yup. Definitely fitting that he got 100 in his 100th Test. Let's
hope he gets another 100 to add to it tomorrow :)
<beam>
300 ?  333+ ?
Er...no.
:( a rare 5x Nelson though at the close.

It will be remarkable if we lose from here. Winning though ???
Peter
2021-02-22 19:03:30 UTC
Post by Min
I'm not sure. I do, however, know that it should under no circumstances
be followed by such an obnoxiously offensive term as "faggots".
Wot Sid said.
Goes without saying. Killfile the troll, you know it makes sense....
I have never killfiled an umrat and I'm reluctant to start now.  There
have been some posters here with whom I choose not to engage, but I am
not prepared to allow such an egregious piece of bigotry as the above to
go unremarked and unchallenged.
On previous form we will now probably get
a) a lot of obfuscatory non-sequiturs posing as evidential support,
I don't see how a) can apply in this context.
Peter
2021-05-31 17:52:31 UTC
Post by Min
I'm not sure. I do, however, know that it should under no circumstances
be followed by such an obnoxiously offensive term as "faggots".
Wot Sid said.
Goes without saying. Killfile the troll, you know it makes sense....
We mustn't allow ourselves to be o'erwhelmed by a sterile dogmatism,
don't you think?
--
Just as 'beautiful' points the way for aesthetics and 'good' for ethics,
so do words like 'true' for logic. All sciences have truth as their
heat. Frege in 'Thoughts' (Der Gedanke)
Peter
2021-06-17 11:27:48 UTC
Post by Min
I'm not sure. I do, however, know that it should under no circumstances
be followed by such an obnoxiously offensive term as "faggots".
Wot Sid said.
Goes without saying. Killfile the troll
Does anyone know why Mr BrritSki has this negative opinion of me? I'd
ask him directly, but I assume he wouldn't see my post.
Post by BrritSki
, you know it makes sense....
--
The world will little note, nor long remember what we say here
Abraham Lincoln at Gettysburg
Vicky Ayech
2021-06-17 12:56:04 UTC
Post by Peter
Post by BrritSki
Post by Min
I'm not sure. I do, however, know that it should under no circumstances
be followed by such an obnoxiously offensive term as "faggots".
Wot Sid said.
Goes without saying. Killfile the troll
Does anyone know why Mr BrritSki has this negative opinion of me? I'd
ask him directly, but I assume he wouldn't see my post.
Post by BrritSki
, you know it makes sense....
He might if I reply to this, although I don't know.

Peter
2021-05-17 20:09:28 UTC
https://www.liveabout.com/the-bottom-diet-1411936