Did Johnny Cash self-harm?
2021-07-29 07:04:19 UTC
Did Johnny Cash self-harm?
More than he was given credit for?
--
Toodle Pip, Mike McMillan
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2021-07-29 10:33:14 UTC
On Thu, 29 Jul 2021 at 07:04:19, Mike McMillan
Post by Mike McMillan
Did Johnny Cash self-harm?
More than he was given credit for?
Poor chap; I can never hear/see his name without thinking "the change
you get from a condom machine", as some comedian once put it; pity, as I
have nothing against him - I like Ghost Riders, and A boy named Sue.

Comedians can - entirely unintentionally, usually - tag
people/places/etc. with something that sticks. There's a Carrott one
about Windscale/Sellafield, for example.

(I don't think condom machines actually give change, though I've never
used one so am not sure.)

If you carry on hating, you're the one who's damaged.
- Sir Harold Atcherley, sent to the Burma/Siam railway in April 1943
Mike McMillan
2021-07-29 11:17:26 UTC
Post by Mike McMillan
Did Johnny Cash self-harm?
More than he was given credit for?
Poor chap; I can never hear/see his name without thinking "the change
you get from a condom machine", as some comedian once put it; pity, as I
have nothing against him - I like Ghost Riders, and A boy named Sue.
Comedians can - entirely unintentionally, usually - tag
people/places/etc. with something that sticks. There's a Carrott one
about Windscale/Sellafield, for example.
(I don't think condom machines actually give change, though I've never
used one so am not sure.)
No, I think the condoms are to avoid leaving a deposit:-)
Toodle Pip, Mike McMillan
Peter
2021-07-29 14:18:10 UTC
Did Johnny Cash self-harm?
Since I don't understand the replies, I'll expand on my question. Cash
sung a song 'Hurt' about self-harm in which occurs the words 'I hurt
myself today'. If he didn't self-harm then that's a sort-of blacking-up
equivalent isn't it?
--
The world will little note, nor long remember what we say here
Abraham Lincoln at Gettysburg
Peter
2021-07-29 15:38:45 UTC
Did Johnny Cash self-harm?
Since I don't understand the replies, I'll expand on my question.  Cash
sung a song 'Hurt' about self-harm in which occurs the words 'I hurt
myself today'.  If he didn't self-harm then that's a sort-of blacking-up
equivalent isn't it?
I might remark that I see nothing wrong with blacking-up (for is it not
the job of actors to pretend to be those whom they are not?), but I know
many people do.
krw
2021-07-29 15:39:22 UTC
Did Johnny Cash self-harm?
Since I don't understand the replies, I'll expand on my question.  Cash
sung a song 'Hurt' about self-harm in which occurs the words 'I hurt
myself today'.  If he didn't self-harm then that's a sort-of blacking-up
equivalent isn't it?
Could it refer to his penchant for consuming illegal substances?
Joe Kerr
2021-07-29 22:02:45 UTC
Did Johnny Cash self-harm?
Since I don't understand the replies, I'll expand on my question.  Cash
sung a song 'Hurt' about self-harm in which occurs the words 'I hurt
myself today'.  If he didn't self-harm then that's a sort-of blacking-up
equivalent isn't it?
I'm not familiar with the song but, taking that line in isolation, there
is is no indication of intent. He could have just stubbed his toe, or
fallen down stairs.
Ric
Peter Withey
2021-07-30 11:12:57 UTC
Post by Peter
Did Johnny Cash self-harm?
Since I don't understand the replies, I'll expand on my question. Cash
sung a song 'Hurt' about self-harm in which occurs the words 'I hurt
myself today'. If he didn't self-harm then that's a sort-of blacking-up
equivalent isn't it?
I'm not sure that this answers your question but it might help.

https://www.clarksvillian.com/post/johnnycash-nashville-rock-nin
Pete
Peter
2021-07-30 16:24:18 UTC
Post by Peter Withey
Post by Peter
Did Johnny Cash self-harm?
Since I don't understand the replies, I'll expand on my question. Cash
sung a song 'Hurt' about self-harm in which occurs the words 'I hurt
myself today'. If he didn't self-harm then that's a sort-of blacking-up
equivalent isn't it?
I'm not sure that this answers your question but it might help.
https://www.clarksvillian.com/post/johnnycash-nashville-rock-nin
Thank you. You're most grateful.
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2021-07-30 18:30:02 UTC
Post by Peter
Post by Peter Withey
Post by Peter
Did Johnny Cash self-harm?
Since I don't understand the replies, I'll expand on my question. Cash
sung a song 'Hurt' about self-harm in which occurs the words 'I hurt
myself today'. If he didn't self-harm then that's a sort-of blacking-up
equivalent isn't it?
I'm not sure that this answers your question but it might help.
https://www.clarksvillian.com/post/johnnycash-nashville-rock-nin
Thank you. You're most grateful.
The "Hurt" in my memory is an entirely different song:
(that recording from 1961,
though I think the song is a little older). (And it's gotta be that
performer, _and that recording_. I can tell from the first note if it
isn't.)

[What's your guilty pleasure?] Why should you feel guilty about pleasure? -
Michel Roux Jr in Radio Times 2-8 February 2013
Peter
2021-07-30 18:45:35 UTC
On Fri, 30 Jul 2021 19:30:02 +0100, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
Post by Peter
http://youtu.be/8S2eD0HdALQ (that recording from 1961,
though I think the song is a little older). (And it's gotta be that
performer, _and that recording_. I can tell from the first note if it
isn't.)
No not that one. I think someone did do it before Johnny Cash..a good
version I heard, by Umbrella.
Nine inch nails.
Vicky Ayech
2021-07-30 19:48:44 UTC
On Fri, 30 Jul 2021 19:32:41 +0100, Vicky Ayech
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
Post by Peter
Post by Peter Withey
Post by Peter
Did Johnny Cash self-harm?
Since I don't understand the replies, I'll expand on my question. Cash
sung a song 'Hurt' about self-harm in which occurs the words 'I hurt
myself today'. If he didn't self-harm then that's a sort-of blacking-up
equivalent isn't it?
I'm not sure that this answers your question but it might help.
https://www.clarksvillian.com/post/johnnycash-nashville-rock-nin
Thank you. You're most grateful.
http://youtu.be/8S2eD0HdALQ (that recording from 1961,
though I think the song is a little older). (And it's gotta be that
performer, _and that recording_. I can tell from the first note if it
isn't.)
No not that one. I think someone did do it before Johnny Cash..a good
version I heard, by Umbrella.
Eddie vedder did it too.

Peter
2021-07-30 18:47:01 UTC
Did Johnny Cash self-harm?
It has been remarked that the song may be about drug misuse rather than
self-harm as I understand that term.