OT I was covid-tested on Wednesday ... it was very slick
2020-07-03 13:16:22 UTC
I and wife are off to see respective aged mothers tomorrow so we went to
Gloucester for a covid-check. I made an appointment for a drive-in test
on-line and they offered me any half-hour I wanted, starting now. We
arrived 15 minutes early and I think we were the only car there. There
was a sign saying no photographs and no dash-cams and keep your windows
closed until you get tested.

We had been sent sms-texts with links to QR-codes so a smart phone is
very useful. Communication by them was by holding up signs. We elected
for assisted tests so were directed round the appropriate route and
asked to hold up our QR-code to ensure we were the correct people. A
pleasant young person took swabs (the back of the throat one is mildly
unpleasant) and we were soon out again. The test was at 11.15 and the
results (both negative) was emailed to us at 2am the next day.

It was all very slick indeed.
krw
2020-07-03 16:07:59 UTC
Post by DavidK
[...]
Thank you and very pleased to hear that you are negative.
a l l y
2020-07-03 21:28:22 UTC
Post by DavidK
[...]
Similar to my experience a few weeks ago, when I had a chesty cough and
everyone said I must get tested, even though none of the symptoms were the
classic covid ones. Except that I did my own back-of-throat swabbing. When I
arrived with my windows closed a guy held up a sign asking me to phone this
number, which I did. I then had to put my phone on speaker, and we
communicated that way from then on. It was a bit odd, as he was standing
just outside the window, and I could hear his voice "live" through the
glass, as well as, with a slight delay, over the phone, so sometimes it was
hard to make out what he was saying. But the whole thing only took a few
minutes. The hardest bit was finding the drive-in test centre, which was at
an anonymous car park in the middle of an industrial estate, identified only
by a postcode which turned out to refer to practically every unit on site.
Just as well I got there too early! Oh yes, and my result came back negative
too.

ally
2020-07-04 12:53:48 UTC
Post by a l l y
Post by DavidK
[...]
Goad it did too, Ally.

2020-07-04 12:53:48 UTC
Post by DavidK
[...]
That’s the way to do it. No way do I want to try testing myself for
anything.