umra Book Club: The Watch
Mike Ruddock
2021-08-12 11:20:50 UTC
According to the Radio Times, BBC 2 is tonight presenting two episodes
of an adaptation of Terry Pratchett's story "The Watch".
From what RT says this seems likely to be a travesty, You are warned.
There are some interesting members of the cast: the voice of Detritus is
that of Ralph Ineson (deep, gravelly) and Lord Vetinari is played by
Duck Face from 4 Weddings (Anna Chncellor). This is interesting and will
either be a major triumph of casting or a complete disaster.

Mike Ruddock
Nick Odell
2021-08-12 11:32:32 UTC
On Thu, 12 Aug 2021 12:20:50 +0100, Mike Ruddock
Post by Mike Ruddock
According to the Radio Times, BBC 2 is tonight presenting two episodes
of an adaptation of Terry Pratchett's story "The Watch".
From what RT says this seems likely to be a travesty, You are warned.
There are some interesting members of the cast: the voice of Detritus is
that of Ralph Ineson (deep, gravelly) and Lord Vetinari is played by
Duck Face from 4 Weddings (Anna Chncellor). This is interesting and will
either be a major triumph of casting or a complete disaster.
Poor Anna Chancellor. That film branded a perfectly nice, very
talented actress with an undeserved but unforgettable nick-name.

I don't have a TV but I'll be interested to hear what others think of
the programme.

2021-08-12 11:52:05 UTC
Post by Mike Ruddock
According to the Radio Times, BBC 2 is tonight presenting two episodes
of an adaptation of Terry Pratchett's story "The Watch".
From what RT says this seems likely to be a travesty, You are warned.
There are some interesting members of the cast: the voice of Detritus is
that of Ralph Ineson (deep, gravelly) and Lord Vetinari is played by
Duck Face from 4 Weddings (Anna Chncellor). This is interesting and will
either be a major triumph of casting or a complete disaster.
Poor Anna Chancellor. That film branded a perfectly nice, very
talented actress with an undeserved but unforgettable nick-name.
I don't have a TV but I'll be interested to hear what others think of
the programme.
Nick
I was keen to watch it and although we were surprised and not
impressed with the casting I wanted to give it a second change so we
watched the first 2 episodes. I think they are all on BBC3.

Vetinari was just wrong. Vimes was the least bad casting, but not
good. Sybil was a joke. Cherie was a male and obvious transvestite,
missing the whole point. And to come back to Sybil..oh dear no. And
Anguila was wrong too. And they got her ability wrong. And no Nobby!
And Detritus was wrong too. The stories were changed. The Assasins'
guild, thieves' guild and Unseen University were all wrong too. B
still hasn't forgiven me for making him watch a second episode.
Mike Ruddock
2021-08-12 16:33:09 UTC
Post by Mike Ruddock
According to the Radio Times, BBC 2 is tonight presenting two episodes
of an adaptation of Terry Pratchett's story "The Watch".
From what RT says this seems likely to be a travesty, You are warned.
[...]
I hadn't realised it had been transmitted before.
I know nothing of BBC 3 - I think I'm in the wrong age bracket for it.

Mike Ruddock
DavidK
2021-08-12 16:37:20 UTC
Post by Mike Ruddock
According to the Radio Times, BBC 2 is tonight presenting two episodes
of an adaptation of Terry Pratchett's story "The Watch".
From what RT says this seems likely to be a travesty, You are warned.
[...]
Despite what RT says, it's not new, I've seen it before. I can't say it
was awful because I watched it all but I can think it. Don't think of it
as a Pterry's story, think of it as a tribute band of some regular
characters from The Disc with occasional guest appearances.

Why do you say Detritus was wrong, I would have thought they did as good
a job with something impossible as, er, possible. Carrot was good; his
naive innocence was captured.
Sid Nuncius
2021-08-12 18:26:39 UTC
On 12/08/2021 12:52, Vicky Ayech wrote:

<snip>
Post by Vicky Ayech
Vetinari was just wrong. Vimes was the least bad casting, but not
good. Sybil was a joke. Cherie was a male and obvious transvestite,
missing the whole point. And to come back to Sybil..oh dear no. And
Anguila was wrong too. And they got her ability wrong. And no Nobby!
And Detritus was wrong too. The stories were changed. The Assasins'
guild, thieves' guild and Unseen University were all wrong too. B
still hasn't forgiven me for making him watch a second episode.
I had already decided not to watch. I love those books and the
characters Pratchett created; I have seen enough in trailers, adverts
etc. to make me think that I will be very unhappy with this (and
possibly any) adaptation. And anyway, I have been irredeemably in love
with Angua for years;[1] any actual representation of her would be bound
to fall hopelessly short.

Time for some re-(re-re-re-)reads I think.

[1]Two semicolons in one brief post? This does not bode well.
--
Sid
They even got Gaspode wrong.
Penny
2021-08-12 20:31:18 UTC
Post by Mike Ruddock
According to the Radio Times, BBC 2 is tonight presenting two episodes
of an adaptation of Terry Pratchett's story "The Watch".
From what RT says this seems likely to be a travesty, You are warned.
There are some interesting members of the cast: the voice of Detritus is
that of Ralph Ineson (deep, gravelly) and Lord Vetinari is played by
Duck Face from 4 Weddings (Anna Chncellor). This is interesting and will
either be a major triumph of casting or a complete disaster.
I'm watching it at the moment.
Very confusing at first, Pratchett by someone who never saw the pictures in
my head and seems to think they can 'update' it in some way. This is
someone else's fantasy altogether.

I will continue watching because if it wasn't labelled Pratchett I'd
probably have stuck with it anyway IYSWIM. Take away the character names
and I'd be happier though.
2021-08-13 08:47:49 UTC
Post by Mike Ruddock
According to the Radio Times, BBC 2 is tonight presenting two episodes
of an adaptation of Terry Pratchett's story "The Watch".
From what RT says this seems likely to be a travesty, You are warned.
There are some interesting members of the cast: the voice of Detritus is
that of Ralph Ineson (deep, gravelly) and Lord Vetinari is played by
Duck Face from 4 Weddings (Anna Chncellor). This is interesting and will
either be a major triumph of casting or a complete disaster.
I'm watching it at the moment.
Very confusing at first, Pratchett by someone who never saw the pictures in
my head and seems to think they can 'update' it in some way. This is
someone else's fantasy altogether.
I will continue watching because if it wasn't labelled Pratchett I'd
probably have stuck with it anyway IYSWIM. Take away the character names
and I'd be happier though.
Well, B certainly refused to see any more. I think you are right if
you forget the Pratchett versions it is sort of ok. But you lose all
the social comment. His echoing of today's society.
Sarah Kate
2021-08-13 15:12:43 UTC
Himself has watched it. He liked it well enough, but he doesn't get as exercised by these things as I do. Having seen the trailer and read about it online, I wasn't keen.

I pointed out that Sybil was Very Very Wrong. He said she's awesome, in all senses of the word. I think she's the wrong type of awesome, but to each their own.

I have a list of about 437 things I'd watch before it, to be honest. And frankly, if they got Gaspode wrong then I will have no truck with it.
Penny
2021-08-13 15:23:24 UTC
On Fri, 13 Aug 2021 09:47:49 +0100, Vicky Ayech <***@gmail.com>
Post by Mike Ruddock
According to the Radio Times, BBC 2 is tonight presenting two episodes
of an adaptation of Terry Pratchett's story "The Watch".
From what RT says this seems likely to be a travesty, You are warned.
There are some interesting members of the cast: the voice of Detritus is
that of Ralph Ineson (deep, gravelly) and Lord Vetinari is played by
Duck Face from 4 Weddings (Anna Chncellor). This is interesting and will
either be a major triumph of casting or a complete disaster.
I'm watching it at the moment.
Very confusing at first, Pratchett by someone who never saw the pictures in
my head and seems to think they can 'update' it in some way. This is
someone else's fantasy altogether.
I will continue watching because if it wasn't labelled Pratchett I'd
probably have stuck with it anyway IYSWIM. Take away the character names
and I'd be happier though.
Well, B certainly refused to see any more. I think you are right if
you forget the Pratchett versions it is sort of ok.
I was much bothered by the cctv from an iconograph imp with a modern tablet
capable of video. The clacks as ticker-tape seemed reasonable although I
seem to recall it as a semaphore system.
Post by Vicky Ayech
But you lose all
the social comment. His echoing of today's society.
Indeed, maybe a narrator would have helped.
steve hague
2021-08-13 07:08:39 UTC
Post by Mike Ruddock
According to the Radio Times, BBC 2 is tonight presenting two episodes
of an adaptation of Terry Pratchett's story "The Watch".
From what RT says this seems likely to be a travesty, You are warned.
There are some interesting members of the cast: the voice of Detritus is
that of Ralph Ineson (deep, gravelly) and Lord Vetinari is played by
Duck Face from 4 Weddings (Anna Chncellor). This is interesting and will
either be a major triumph of casting or a complete disaster.
Mike Ruddock
I started to watch it, but couldn't get past Vetinari's first
appearence. That was just so wrong.