OT: A grand day out.
2019-02-04 11:56:14 UTC
in London, lunch at Cote Brasserie first that was delicious. Slow
roasted belly pork with wonderful cracking and melt-in-your-mouth meat
with lovely cabbage and potatoes. Staff were also very good, moving us
to another table out of the draught of the broken a/c and looking after
us well - it helped that they were Italian and we told them where we'd
been the last 15 years :)
Not a chain I'd heard of before, but they're all over the place and
we'll definitely go back. This branch was Covent Garden, not cheap, but
about normal for that meal in London I'd guess.

Then on to Tango Fire at the Peacock Theatre that was absolutely
stunning. Wonderfully varied performances in turn lyrical, erotic,
funny, sensual, balletic and acrobatic. Marvellously appropriate music
from the quartet too. Strongly recommended.
krw
2019-02-04 12:58:44 UTC
Cote Brasserie
Best vfm chain by a long way.
2019-02-04 16:17:03 UTC
Cote Brasserie
Best vfm chain by a long way.
Reading has had a Cote Brasserie for a long time.

2019-02-04 21:38:32 UTC
Cote Brasserie
Best vfm chain by a long way.
Thanks to you both. Noted for future excursions.
2019-02-04 23:15:04 UTC
Cote Brasserie
Best vfm chain by a long way.
Thanks to you both. Noted for future excursions.
Whereas, to me, it's a place to train astronauts - no atmosphere.

Mined ewe, I've only tried the St. Albans one a few times for other
people's birthdays.
Dumrat
2019-02-05 08:59:06 UTC
in London, lunch at Cote Brasserie first that was delicious. Slow roasted belly pork with
wonderful cracking and melt-in-your-mouth meat with lovely cabbage and potatoes. Staff
were also very good, moving us to another table out of the draught of the broken a/c and
looking after us well - it helped that they were Italian and we told them where we'd been
the last 15 years :)
Not a chain I'd heard of before, but they're all over the place and we'll definitely go
back. This branch was Covent Garden, not cheap, but about normal for that meal in London
I'd guess.
We found "Cote" when we first visited Exeter, in 2013, and really like it, so much so that
the dorter went there to celebrate her graduation last June. (She/we didn't actually go to
the graduation ceremony, but we have a lovely photo of her receiving her certificate from
someone working on the student information desk in the Forum (where "Broadchurch" court
scenes were filmed) on graduation day, whilst fellow graduands and their families sup
champagne in the background!) Unfortunately for her carnivore parents, she is now
vegetarian, bordering on vegan, so I'm not sure "Cote" will be in order when we go to her
Master's graduation ceremony in Manchester!
Then on to Tango Fire at the Peacock Theatre that was absolutely stunning. Wonderfully
varied performances in turn lyrical, erotic, funny, sensual, balletic and acrobatic.
Marvellously appropriate music from the quartet too. Strongly recommended.
That sounds superb - unfortunately, we won't be in London before August at the very
earliest, and probably not even then, so I'm not sure we'll get to see it. The most recent
thing I have seen at the theatre was Jesus Carmona's Impetus flamenco show at the Dubai
Opera last year - it was breathtaking! I don't know if he is touring Europe any time soon,
but worth it if you are a flamenco fan. We are looking forward to seeing "Piaf - Le
Spectacle" at the DO next week, but I wouldn't think anyrat would want to make the trip
this far for it!
--
Salaam Alaykum,
Anne, Exceptionally Traditionally-built Dumrat
BrritSki
2019-02-05 09:52:22 UTC
The most recent thing I have seen at the theatre was Jesus Carmona's
Impetus flamenco show at the Dubai Opera last year - it was
breathtaking! I don't know if he is touring Europe any time soon, but
worth it if you are a flamenco fan.
Yes we are, but unfortunately it's not scheduled at the moment for London :(

We thought about trying to find flamenco in the Canaries last week but
thought it would probably be a nasty touristy thing at best.

We also avoided Lineker's - does anyone else find it amusing that Gary
moralises over Brexit but is the owner of a Voodoo Lapdancing bar ? :)

Sorry, IGMCape
Nick Odell
2019-02-05 17:23:26 UTC
The most recent thing I have seen at the theatre was Jesus Carmona's
Impetus flamenco show at the Dubai Opera last year - it was
breathtaking! I don't know if he is touring Europe any time soon, but
worth it if you are a flamenco fan.
Yes we are, but unfortunately it's not scheduled at the moment for London :(
We thought about trying to find flamenco in the Canaries last week but
thought it would probably be a nasty touristy thing at best.
You probably need to ask a local. If there's a tourist element to
flamenco it probably means there's a reaL culture if you can only dig
far enough down to find it.

Arrive in Buenos Aires, acknowledged by everywhere but Paris as the
birthplace of tango, and sharp-eyed tour-operators will send you to an
expensive, glossy show but ask the locals and they will take you to one
of the places where the many thousands of local enthusiasts hang out.
One of my favourites is upstairs at Cafe Ideal - one of Buenos Aires'
"Bares Notables" It's a bit old fashioned and formal but you won't find
any organised tours there. My other favourite Milonga is "La Gloriana"
which takes place in an open-air bandstand in the district of Belgrano.
People just drift over there on a Sunday evening and dance to their
heart's content. Bliss. If you like that kind of thing.
Post by BrritSki
We also avoided Lineker's - does anyone else find it amusing that Gary
moralises over Brexit but is the owner of a Voodoo Lapdancing bar ?  :)
What flavour crisps do they serve?
Post by BrritSki
Sorry, IGMCape
2019-02-05 17:52:21 UTC
Post by Dumrat
Unfortunately for her carnivore parents, she is now
vegetarian, bordering on vegan, so I'm not sure "Cote" will be in order when we go to her
Master's graduation ceremony in Manchester!
Just because she doesn't eat the food is no reason for her loving
parents to go there without her!