OT: Bulb
2018-08-09 11:26:03 UTC
Husband has been stirred into action by news of British Gas planning a
second price increase. He has done the sums and decided that we should
probably switch. I know some umrats have mentioned Bulb - any drawbacks?
2018-08-09 13:04:33 UTC
Post by LFS
Husband has been stirred into action by news of British Gas planning a
second price increase. He has done the sums and decided that we should
probably switch. I know some umrats have mentioned Bulb - any drawbacks?
None whatsoever for electricity. There is no gas in this village so I can't
answer for gas. We switched from oil fired heating to an air source heat
pump at the same time (so electrically powered) and our electricity bills
are so far proving to be far less than the previous combined
oil/electricity.
2018-08-09 13:08:10 UTC
Post by LFS
Husband has been stirred into action by news of British Gas planning a
second price increase. He has done the sums and decided that we should
probably switch. I know some umrats have mentioned Bulb - any drawbacks?
None whatsoever for electricity. There is no gas in this village so I can't
answer for gas. We switched from oil fired heating to an air source heat
pump at the same time (so electrically powered) and our electricity bills
are so far proving to be far less than the previous combined
oil/electricity.
I should of course add that if you do switch, you would be more than
welcome to use my link <https://bulb.co.uk/refer/sally2843> thus ensuring
us both £50 off:-)
2018-08-09 18:13:01 UTC
Post by LFS
Husband has been stirred into action by news of British Gas planning a
second price increase. He has done the sums and decided that we should
probably switch. I know some umrats have mentioned Bulb - any drawbacks?
None whatsoever for electricity. There is no gas in this village so I can't
answer for gas. We switched from oil fired heating to an air source heat
pump at the same time (so electrically powered) and our electricity bills
are so far proving to be far less than the previous combined
oil/electricity.
I'm still very happy with them. They have just emailed (today) to say
that as wholesale energy prices have risen by 5% they may have to
increase prices in November. Given the current state of the market, I
think that's likely for most companies; any saving I may make by
switching is likely to be small, temporary and not worth the bother.
Also, I value good customer service so I'll be staying with Bulb even if
the increase does happen.
2018-08-09 19:02:18 UTC
Post by LFS
[...]
In another part of the switching forest: Two days ago I received an
email from a well known switching website informing me that they had
found a best price of £102 for my home insurance. Yesterday I got a
renewal notice from my insurance company saying that last year I paid
£105 and this year I could have the same cover for £122.

Both quotations are from the same company.

2018-08-09 19:52:47 UTC
On 09/08/2018 1
In another part of the switching forest: Two days ago I received an
email from a well known switching website informing me that they had
found a best price of £102 for my home insurance. Yesterday I got a
renewal notice from my insurance company saying that last year I paid
£105 and this year I could have the same cover for £122.
Both quotations are from the same company.
john
That happened with my house insurance too. I checked the online offer
with the same company and with a slightly differnt outline it was
cheaper, so I did that.
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2018-08-09 20:08:57 UTC
In message <pki33t$9vk$***@dont-email.me>, John Ashby
<***@yahoo.com> writes:
In another part of the switching forest: Two days ago I received an
email from a well known switching website informing me that they had
found a best price of £102 for my home insurance. Yesterday I got a
renewal notice from my insurance company saying that last year I paid
£105 and this year I could have the same cover for £122.
Both quotations are from the same company.
john
Never accept a renewal quote. Just ring them up. Probably best to hit at
least one of the comparison sites (the MoneySavingExpert site will
recommend what order to hit the switching sites - they do for car
insurance anyway - and one will probably suffice), so that when your
existing supplier asks "what's the best offer you've got", you'll have
some figure to give. (You can always say "about 100" if you can't
remember, or want to imply you might look further.) IME (for car
anyway), they'll nearly always quote a renewal hiked like you have - ten
to twenty per cent - and drop it to one or two per cent increase (very
occasionally, even come out less [remember to include everything of
course, like breakdown for car if you have that with them]) if you ring
up to haggle.

live your dash. ... On your tombstone, there's the date you're born and the
date you die - and in between there's a dash. - a friend quoted by Dustin
Hoffman in Radio Times, 5-11 January 2013
Vicky Ayech
YANAOU. Is it Sid's turn to get the next referral?
Fenny
2018-08-09 17:04:11 UTC
Post by LFS
Husband has been stirred into action by news of British Gas planning a
second price increase. He has done the sums and decided that we should
probably switch. I know some umrats have mentioned Bulb - any drawbacks?
I've only been with them for 2 or 3 months now. I'm happy with the
fact that they emailed me to keep me informed all the way through the
switch process and they tell me every month that my DD has been taken.
They did write and tell me that their prices were going up, which I
was OK with. They don't do fixed prices, but the difference was small
and within what I would have had to pay elsewhere.

Because I'm not using the gas at the moment and not as much, I'm in
credit, so should be set for the cold dark nights.