OT: Lourdas
2021-07-05 14:11:26 UTC
If anyone is thinking of travelling soon [1]. here's the TR I just
posted on FB, which details our experience and some tips on how to
download PDFs before travelling (duh!).
There are some pix in a FB album too that is public, so anyone should be
able to view it
<https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10159865211848296&type=3>

AMBER GAMBLERS

Well, we had had enough of lockdown, so considering that we are
double-jabbed, that Kefalonia has the same levels of vaccination as the
UK and that there had been 4 cases there in the whole of June, we
decided to risk it. We also knew the place we were going was very quiet
– we hardly ever meet anyone at the lovely Vivian Apartments and we
spend all our time outdoors either on the beach or at outside bars and
restaurants. We are now safely home again after a wonderful relaxing
week in Lourdas.

On the way out Gatwick was very quiet. We had a few problems with
showing the various documents we needed, not least because the EasyJet
gate checker asked for a vax certificate which we had to log in for,
when he really wanted to see the Greek Passenger Locator Form (PLF). If
you check luggage in all this is done then and you get a little slip of
paper to bypass the chap, but we just had cabin bags. At the Greek
airport on arrival they were looking at PLF and vacc. status, but it was
in the passport queue so there wasn’t a holdup. We were then all
LF-tested again very quickly and efficiently (for free) and had the
all-clear a couple of hours later at our hotel.
The resort was even quieter than usual. A few Greek families mainly at
the weekends and evenings, but very few tourists. Most places open
though and everyone very pleased to see visitors. Greece had just
suspended mask-wearing outside the previous week, so the only masks we
saw were on restaurant and bar staff. Mostly 😉
Our favourite beachside bar (Waikiki) was just as before and we also saw
Ari again even though he doesn’t work there now. Litheros was also
excellent as always with fresh fish to die for, but also wonderful pork
souvlaki and fried aubergines. Klimatis Taverna good, but not as
excellent as it was – maybe their batch cooked plates like moussaka and
Kefalonian meat pie are not shifting as fast with the reduced numbers of
diners.
The weather was very hot (40C when we got there), but it cooled down to
the 30s and we became acclimatised (and had A/C in the bedroom) so it
was bearable. The last 2 days were very windy, but still sunny, not
like last year when we suffered the Medicane
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyclone_Ianos>. Sea was surprisingly cold
though – lovely once you were in and much warmer than Cornwall, but not
what we are used to in our normal autumn visits.
The return trip was very easy. EasyJet checked we had done the Passenger
Locator Form and our pre-flight test certificate in the departure lounge
where there was only our flight waiting. Then we boarded as usual just
showing passport and boarding pass.
We avoided the fuss we had on the way out by downloading PDFs of the 4
docs we needed (UK PLF, pre-flight LF cert., proof of Day2/8 test
purchase and vacc. Cert. and then sent them to each other on WhatsApp so
it was very easy to find them even offline (I often lose PDFs in the
depths of my phone). We used the EasyJet recommended testers – Collinson
for pre-flight test which we had to do while their person watched via
video link and then we sent a pic of the LF, and Randox for the Day 2
and 8 tests which you do yourself, but then have to drop off at a
postbox in Biggleswade. With the EasyJet discounts the tests cost £32
and £86 respectively, so not as expensive as you sometimes read and
given how cheap the flights were not an expensive holiday at all.
Plane was only a quarter full again just as on the way out – I hope
numbers pick up soon so they don’t run into financial trouble. Gatwick
was empty so we sailed through the e-gates and only passports were
checked - no further control of PLF, pre-flight test, day 2/8 tests that
we'd booked or vaccination status ! So we were able to start watching
the England Ukraine game on the tablet at the station and on the train
very soon after kick-off 😊

We are now of course self-isolating for 10 days, but that’s not much
different to our normal lives and it was well worth it...

I'll sign off with a little poem wot I wrote on the beach on Saturday:
#You're the one that I want#
Sang the virus from Greece
So he thought that he had it,
It gave him no peace

"This variant's Attic"
He said as he coughed
"When I get home I'll isolate
Up in the loft"

But the cough was souvlaki
Stuck in his throat
They said it was pork
But it tasted like goat

It was scrummy whatever
And Lourdas was safe
On the island that week
Not one single case

We loved all the sand
And the crystal-clear sea
Ovid said it - it's true
The daring are free !

Sorry for the bad rhyme and the awful puns - can you spot the second one ?

[1] and doesn't want to admit it here after the flak I got here recently :)
Min
2021-07-05 23:09:13 UTC
[...]
Sounds (and looks - I particularly like the Icarus cloud...) like a wonderful
time, Brritski! Had I the cash, I would travel too so good for you! (Hoping
to maybe manage a modest trip myself in Spring...)
--
Min