Ask EU
Add Reply
Steve Hague
2019-06-09 19:39:08 UTC
Does anyrat know of a reason why Martin Carthy hasn't received a knighthood?
2019-06-09 22:10:10 UTC
Post by Steve Hague
Does anyrat know of a reason why Martin Carthy hasn't received a knighthood?
Steve
No - but is he the sort of person who would turn it down?
2019-06-09 22:17:01 UTC
On Sun, 9 Jun 2019 23:10:10 +0100, krw <***@whitnet.uk> scrawled in the
dust...
Post by krw
Post by Steve Hague
Does anyrat know of a reason why Martin Carthy hasn't received a knighthood?
Steve
No - but is he the sort of person who would turn it down?
He accepted a MBE a few years back.
2019-06-10 08:30:53 UTC
He's got an MBE
Sid Nuncius
2019-06-10 05:14:47 UTC
Post by Steve Hague
Does anyrat know of a reason why Martin Carthy hasn't received a knighthood?
Good question. Perhaps HMQ prefers the original Slade version of this:

Jane Vernon
2019-06-10 06:50:13 UTC
Post by Steve Hague
Does anyrat know of a reason why Martin Carthy hasn't received a knighthood?
http://youtu.be/O5bQQDirKzQ
Gosh. That bears listening to again. Creates a totally different sort
of meaning to the lyrics, being in a different mood. Thank you, Sid.
--
Jane
BTME

2019-06-10 08:38:33 UTC
Post by Steve Hague
Does anyrat know of a reason why Martin Carthy hasn't received a knighthood?
http://youtu.be/O5bQQDirKzQ
Gosh.  That bears listening to again.  Creates a totally different sort
of meaning to the lyrics, being in a different mood.  Thank you, Sid.
If it is different sorts of meanings you are looking for, Sir Richard of
Thompsonshire's cover of Britney Spears' "Oops I did it again" will send
shivers down your spine in a very dark way.

More in the Martin Carthy vein, when we were very young, me and my
folk-singing mates would perform Elvis Presley's "Blue Suede Shoes" in
the style of The Young Tradition but I have a feeling we nicked the idea
from somebody else. It might even have been The Young Tradition.

2019-06-10 09:27:29 UTC
On Mon, 10 Jun 2019 09:38:33 +0100, Nick Odell
Post by Nick Odell
More in the Martin Carthy vein, when we were very young, me and my
folk-singing mates would perform Elvis Presley's "Blue Suede Shoes" in
the style of The Young Tradition but I have a feeling we nicked the idea
from somebody else. It might even have been The Young Tradition.
That sounded interesting so I went looking on youtube. Failed to find a
folky version but quite like this raga style one

2019-06-10 09:44:15 UTC
Post by Nick Odell
More in the Martin Carthy vein, when we were very young, me and my
folk-singing mates would perform Elvis Presley's "Blue Suede Shoes" in
the style of The Young Tradition but I have a feeling we nicked the idea
from somebody else. It might even have been The Young Tradition.
That sounded interesting so I went looking on youtube. Failed to find a
folky version but quite like this raga style one
http://youtu.be/RilCkafnEUQ
That's fun! We used to do it a cappella in three-part close harmony and,
for added authenticity would each stick our fingers up our nose. (I told
you we were very young)

Interestingly - or not - the three of us live several hundred miles from
where we grew up but all within about fifty miles from here so I suppose
a reunion revival tour is always on the cards.

But The Young'uns seem to have cornered that quarter of the market.

2019-06-10 09:36:38 UTC
If it is different sorts of meanings you are looking for, Sir Richard of
Thompsonshire's cover of Britney Spears' "Oops I did it again" will send
shivers down your spine in a very dark way.
<enthusiastic wave>

Genius.

And if we're doing different covers, may I commend this:

I saw them a few months ago at Bush Hall (sans bassist, sadly). Simply
brilliant - three fantastic musicians performing superbly. (And by that
time with two very young babies backstage rather than onstage as here.)
2019-06-10 10:05:15 UTC
If it is different sorts of meanings you are looking for, Sir Richard
of Thompsonshire's cover of Britney Spears' "Oops I did it again" will
send shivers down your spine in a very dark way.
<enthusiastic wave>
http://youtu.be/V4WGsMplGxU
Genius.
http://youtu.be/s24fLEYaeEk
I saw them a few months ago at Bush Hall (sans bassist, sadly).  Simply
brilliant - three fantastic musicians performing superbly.  (And by that
time with two very young babies backstage rather than onstage as here.)
That's Ieve... Eoighi.... Aeiouge.... The One From Crooked Still,
isn't it?

Lovely!

2019-06-10 17:14:12 UTC
If it is different sorts of meanings you are looking for, Sir Richard
of Thompsonshire's cover of Britney Spears' "Oops I did it again"
will send shivers down your spine in a very dark way.
<enthusiastic wave>
http://youtu.be/V4WGsMplGxU
Genius.
http://youtu.be/s24fLEYaeEk
I saw them a few months ago at Bush Hall (sans bassist, sadly).
Simply brilliant - three fantastic musicians performing superbly.
(And by that time with two very young babies backstage rather than
onstage as here.)
That's Ieve... Eoighi....  Aeiouge....  The One From Crooked Still,
isn't it?
Lovely!
That's the gel. Aoife O'Donovan. And yes, she is lovely. :o) (As
are Sarah Jarosz and Sara Watkins.)

I can't remember whether I've mentioned Applewood Road, another fab trio
of singer/songwriters[1]. Their cover of Losing My Religion is
wondrous, I think.

(The back of my head is visible in some of the audience shots here.
There was some wry humour about performing this song in Union Chapel.)

[1]Amy Speace, Amber Rubarth and the magnificent Emily Barker, who
umrats may know from her song Nostalgia, used as the theme music to
Wallander.
2019-06-10 20:50:55 UTC
http://youtu.be/IL8-4ayvZQ0
(The back of my head is visible in some of the audience shots here.
There was some wry humour about performing this song in Union Chapel.)
[1]Amy Speace, Amber Rubarth and the magnificent Emily Barker, who
umrats may know from her song Nostalgia, used as the theme music to
Wallander.
Yes you have mentioned Applewood Road before: but it was quite some time
ago so it's not IMV unumratic to mention them again.

I bought Amy Speace's How to Sleep in a Stormy Boat on the strength of
your recommendation. As it happens, I was listening to that album this
weekend - before the conversation drifted over this way so completely
unprompted by this discussion. Thank you again!

2019-06-10 10:17:53 UTC
On Mon, 10 Jun 2019 10:36:38 +0100, Sid Nuncius
If it is different sorts of meanings you are looking for, Sir Richard of
Thompsonshire's cover of Britney Spears' "Oops I did it again" will send
shivers down your spine in a very dark way.
<enthusiastic wave>
http://youtu.be/V4WGsMplGxU
Genius.
http://youtu.be/s24fLEYaeEk
I saw them a few months ago at Bush Hall (sans bassist, sadly). Simply
brilliant - three fantastic musicians performing superbly. (And by that
time with two very young babies backstage rather than onstage as here.)
This is a version of the Leonard Cohen song I like very much

And if you let you tube take you to the next song it is a Yiddish
version that I'd not seen before and liked too.
Penny
2019-06-10 11:38:51 UTC
On Mon, 10 Jun 2019 11:17:53 +0100, Vicky Ayech <***@gmail.com>
This is a version of the Leonard Cohen song I like very much
http://youtu.be/3KDP0FH-65U
And if you let you tube take you to the next song it is a Yiddish
version that I'd not seen before and liked too.
That set me wondering how Haleliwia sounds in Welsh - I found a few
examples but liked this children's choir

Have I ever shared Sioned Camlin's Welsh version of Kung Fu Fighting here?
Sadly, it longer seems to be available on Sound Cloud :(
2019-06-10 12:52:30 UTC
http://youtu.be/qdBAS1szRiY
Have I ever shared Sioned Camlin's Welsh version of Kung Fu Fighting here?
Sadly, it longer seems to be available on Sound Cloud :(
While we are at it, have a sift through The Langley Schools Music
Project album of pop covers:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=langley+schools+music+project

Maybe start with "I'm Into Something Good" or "God Only Knows" but leave
"Desperado" 'till last.

If you've ever been to Langley BC[1][2] you'll understand why the album
is called "Innocence and Despair" and yes, this is the school that was
the subject of a Radio 4 documentary and a Jack Black movie.

Nick
[1]I changed buses there a few years ago
[2]But I won't be able to do that again. Since last October, Greyhound
Bus Canada have withdrawn all their services in the western provinces.
Chris J Dixon
2019-06-10 10:53:08 UTC
More in the Martin Carthy vein, when we were very young, me and my
folk-singing mates would perform Elvis Presley's "Blue Suede Shoes" in
the style of The Young Tradition but I have a feeling we nicked the idea
from somebody else. It might even have been The Young Tradition.
IIRC Dave Burland used to perform it in the style of Martin
Carthy, but I don't think he ever recorded it.

***@cdixon.me.uk @ChrisJDixon1
2019-06-10 11:29:55 UTC
Post by Chris J Dixon
Post by Nick Odell
More in the Martin Carthy vein, when we were very young, me and my
folk-singing mates would perform Elvis Presley's "Blue Suede Shoes" in
the style of The Young Tradition but I have a feeling we nicked the idea
from somebody else. It might even have been The Young Tradition.
IIRC Dave Burland used to perform it in the style of Martin
Carthy, but I don't think he ever recorded it.
By 1968 when Dave Burland started performing, we'd all gone our separate
ways to colleges and universities. I told you we was young!

Nick
vk
2019-06-10 07:22:08 UTC
Post by Steve Hague
Does anyrat know of a reason why Martin Carthy hasn't received a knighthood?
http://youtu.be/O5bQQDirKzQ
And I would agree with HMQ.
Arise Sir Nodland of Holder!
Sid Nuncius
2019-06-10 07:53:47 UTC
Post by vk
Post by Sid Nuncius
Post by Steve Hague
Does anyrat know of a reason why Martin Carthy hasn't received a knighthood?
http://youtu.be/O5bQQDirKzQ
And I would agree with HMQ.
Arise Sir Nodland of Holder!
I like both very much. And I agree, it's high time that Sir Nodward of
Holdershire's title was made official.
2019-06-10 07:58:23 UTC
Post by vk
Post by Sid Nuncius
Post by Steve Hague
Does anyrat know of a reason why Martin Carthy hasn't received a knighthood?
http://youtu.be/O5bQQDirKzQ
And I would agree with HMQ.
Arise Sir Nodland of Holder!
LOL. Don’t like that style of music at all, never did, but that is very
funny.