OT: wrong amount on credit card payment
2020-02-10 09:56:43 UTC
Was it here that someone wrote of checking their credit card payment for
an item and finding it wrong? I *think* it was at work,many years ago,
but I'm not sure.

I ask because other-half had a payment for a coffee declined and when
she rang the credit card company to ask why she was told that £40,000
was more than her card-limit. Embarrassing*, but better than the charge
going through.

*Three months ago I was texted to say post to my address had been
returned and asking me to confirm my address. I did so. Three weeks
later my card was declined and I almost immediately received a text
saying this was because they didn't have an address for me. I phoned
immediately, and followed up with a message, complaining that I had
confirmed my address and was able to give the date and time from the log
on my phone. Barclaycard rang back, apologised, and gave me some money
in recompense.
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2020-02-10 14:28:12 UTC
Post by DavidK
Was it here that someone wrote of checking their credit card payment
for an item and finding it wrong? I *think* it was at work,many years
ago, but I'm not sure.
I ask because other-half had a payment for a coffee declined and when
she rang the credit card company to ask why she was told that £40,000
was more than her card-limit. Embarrassing*, but better than the charge
going through.
IRTA "coffin", for some reason. Thought it's a lot, even for one of
those. Then read again!

Wondering how it got miskeyed: all I can think of is that the terminal
had a "00" key, and the operator meant to press either 4 00 or 4 0 0,
but typed 4 00 00. (Though thinking about it that still doesn't explain
pounds/pence.)
Post by DavidK
*Three months ago I was texted to say post to my address had been
returned and asking me to confirm my address. I did so. Three weeks
later my card was declined and I almost immediately received a text
saying this was because they didn't have an address for me. I phoned
immediately, and followed up with a message, complaining that I had
confirmed my address and was able to give the date and time from the
log on my phone. Barclaycard rang back, apologised, and gave me some
money in recompense.
Good to hear.

the plural of 'anecdote' is not 'evidence'. Professor Edzart Ernst, prudential
magazine, AUTUMN 2006, p. 13.
Penny
2020-02-10 17:54:04 UTC
On Mon, 10 Feb 2020 09:56:43 +0000, DavidK <***@invalid.invalid>
scrawled in the dust...
Post by DavidK
*Three months ago I was texted to say post to my address had been
returned and asking me to confirm my address. I did so. Three weeks
later my card was declined and I almost immediately received a text
saying this was because they didn't have an address for me. I phoned
immediately, and followed up with a message, complaining that I had
confirmed my address and was able to give the date and time from the log
on my phone. Barclaycard rang back, apologised, and gave me some money
in recompense.
Good outcome.

I was expecting a different ending, the text being from someone who had
intercepted your mail (including a mobile bill) and got the rest of the
security details they needed to effectively 'steal' your credit card.
2020-02-11 00:32:01 UTC
Post by DavidK
*Three months ago I was texted to say post to my address had been
returned and asking me to confirm my address. I did so. Three weeks
later my card was declined and I almost immediately received a text
saying this was because they didn't have an address for me. I phoned
immediately, and followed up with a message, complaining that I had
confirmed my address and was able to give the date and time from the log
on my phone. Barclaycard rang back, apologised, and gave me some money
in recompense.
Good outcome.
Dunno. There seem to be lots of firms who find it cheaper to dole out
small sums of money, rather than go to the trouble and expense of fixing
things.
2020-02-11 01:26:27 UTC
Post by DavidK
*Three months ago I was texted to say post to my address had been
returned and asking me to confirm my address. I did so. Three weeks
later my card was declined and I almost immediately received a text
saying this was because they didn't have an address for me. I phoned
immediately, and followed up with a message, complaining that I had
confirmed my address and was able to give the date and time from the log
on my phone. Barclaycard rang back, apologised, and gave me some money
in recompense.
Good outcome.
Dunno. There seem to be lots of firms who find it cheaper to dole out
small sums of money, rather than go to the trouble and expense of
fixing things.
I have much experience of that. Sometimes into two figures, though I
think even those amounts are declining (and I'd far rather have them fix
the fault anyway).

Who can refute a sneer? - Archdeacon Paley, in his book Moral Philosophy
Penny
2020-02-12 14:31:33 UTC
On Mon, 10 Feb 2020 17:54:04 +0000, Penny <***@labyrinth.freeuk.com>
Post by DavidK
*Three months ago I was texted to say post to my address had been
returned and asking me to confirm my address. I did so. Three weeks
later my card was declined and I almost immediately received a text
saying this was because they didn't have an address for me. I phoned
immediately, and followed up with a message, complaining that I had
confirmed my address and was able to give the date and time from the log
on my phone. Barclaycard rang back, apologised, and gave me some money
in recompense.
Good outcome.
I was expecting a different ending, the text being from someone who had
intercepted your mail (including a mobile bill) and got the rest of the
security details they needed to effectively 'steal' your credit card.
There was a piece on You&Yawn earlier about a chap who lost control of two
bank accounts, one with Halifax and another with Lloyds (same group), back
in January. Someone had apparently walked into branches of the two banks
and changed the address details for the accounts. The owner of the accounts
was still receiving text messages (and possibly emails) but nothing by
post. He was only alerted to the problem when text messages about things he
knew nothing of, like the issue of a replacement bank card, started to
arrive.

He phoned the banks and had to visit with lots of ID to establish he was
the owner and get the address corrected again. The banks were embarrassed
and unable to say how this could have happened. They repaid several
thousand pounds which had been stolen and gave him some money in
compensation.

The owner of the other address claims to know nothing about it and the
police have not yet tracked down the fraudster.

Trust no one!