Ask EU - send money abroad
Add Reply
SODAM
2019-10-26 16:33:41 UTC
Please can someone financially savvy resolve my problem? I need to send
money to Bulgaria. The workman would like to be paid by Easypay. Not having
an account with them, I looked it up on the net but the few results I got
looked too dubious. I wanted to pay him by PayPal but he may not have an
account. All I have is a phone number.
I checked Western Union but they wanted to charge me an exorbitant amount
via a terrible exchange rate.
Please someone advise me?
--
SODAM
The thinking umrat’s choice for editor
Mike
2019-10-26 16:36:14 UTC
Post by SODAM
Please can someone financially savvy resolve my problem? I need to send
money to Bulgaria. The workman would like to be paid by Easypay. Not having
an account with them, I looked it up on the net but the few results I got
looked too dubious. I wanted to pay him by PayPal but he may not have an
account. All I have is a phone number.
I checked Western Union but they wanted to charge me an exorbitant amount
via a terrible exchange rate.
Please someone advise me?
Brian tried to pay Lexi off *before* she left the country!
2019-10-26 17:24:08 UTC
Post by SODAM
Please can someone financially savvy resolve my problem? I need to send
money to Bulgaria. The workman would like to be paid by Easypay. Not having
an account with them, I looked it up on the net but the few results I got
looked too dubious. I wanted to pay him by PayPal but he may not have an
account. All I have is a phone number.
I checked Western Union but they wanted to charge me an exorbitant amount
via a terrible exchange rate.
Please someone advise me?
Googling I found
https://www.xoom.com/?_rt=kac-gen-unbranded-google-mt-paid-en-EU&matchtype=b&device=c&adp=1t2&languageCode=en
that uses paypal, which you have and trust

https://www.torfx.com/ppc6/best-exchange-rates.php?adloc=Google&keyword=%2Bswift%20%2Bmoney%20%2Btransfer&adcmp=Money_Transfers&admt=Exact&adnwk=search&adst=&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI8cCimre65QIVhrTtCh1MqQk7EAAYASAAEgI9t_D_BwE

Swift are big and reliable
Vicky Ayech
https://www.moneygram.com/mgo/gb/en/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIpbPnjLy65QIV0NDeCh10qwnlEAAYASAAEgK0SvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
BrritSki
We always used Moneycorp, but you have to know the recipient IBAN number.
Nick Odell
2019-10-26 17:39:08 UTC
Post by SODAM
Please can someone financially savvy resolve my problem? I need to send
money to Bulgaria. The workman would like to be paid by Easypay. Not having
an account with them, I looked it up on the net but the few results I got
looked too dubious. I wanted to pay him by PayPal but he may not have an
account. All I have is a phone number.
I checked Western Union but they wanted to charge me an exorbitant amount
via a terrible exchange rate.
Please someone advise me?
I am hardly that financially savvy someone but I'm aware of lots of
expats on another continent who use services such as XOOM,
Transferwise and the like to send money to themselves or to other
people. easypay.bg seems to be something similar but local to
Bulgaria. I expect you've already read the English FAQ at
https://www.easypay.bg/site/en/?p=faq It seems to explain the ins and
outs of its services pretty well.

I expect you've also seen lots of spelling and TLD variations all on
the theme of easypay: as far as I can tell these are NOT the easypay
you are looking for.

Me? When I need to transfer money I use <hushed voice> Western
Union<\> Yes the exchange rate is poor, yes the fees are high but I
know who they are and I trust that they will do what I ask them to.

Hope this helps,

2019-10-26 17:42:46 UTC
On Sat, 26 Oct 2019 18:39:08 +0100, Nick Odell
Post by Nick Odell
Post by SODAM
[...]
Nick
WU are expensive. Moneygram are very cheap and are here
https://www.moneygram.com/mgo/gb/en/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIpbPnjLy65QIV0NDeCh10qwnlEAAYASAAEgK0SvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
Sam Plusnet
2019-10-26 20:46:39 UTC
Post by SODAM
[...]
Regardless of the method you end up using.
If there is a significant sum involved, would it be prudent to send a
nominal amount first and then the balance once you're sure it's going to
the right person?
I realise this would cost more than a single transaction.
SODAM
2019-10-26 21:02:35 UTC
Post by SODAM
[...]
Sensible precaution, Sam. Thanks for that. It’s not a significant sum in
global terms but it is to me.
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2019-10-26 23:03:20 UTC
In message
[]
Post by SODAM
Post by SODAM
Post by Sam Plusnet
Regardless of the method you end up using.
If there is a significant sum involved, would it be prudent to send a
nominal amount first and then the balance once you're sure it's going to
the right person?
I realise this would cost more than a single transaction.
Sensible precaution, Sam. Thanks for that. It’s not a significant sum in
global terms but it is to me.
Does indeed.

I realise it may be private, but _can_ you tell us more? Is this a
workman who has done something for you here in the UK, or in Bulgaria,
or ...

Only dirty people need wash
Sid Nuncius
2019-10-27 05:50:25 UTC
I realise it may be private, but _can_ you tell us more? Is this a
workman who has done something for you here in the UK, or in Bulgaria,
or ...
I hope this isn't a payment for refrigerated lorry hire.
2019-10-27 06:19:27 UTC
On Sun, 27 Oct 2019 05:50:25 +0000, Sid Nuncius
I realise it may be private, but _can_ you tell us more? Is this a
workman who has done something for you here in the UK, or in Bulgaria,
or ...
I hope this isn't a payment for refrigerated lorry hire.
BTN!

...and before we get any guff about the apparent recursiveness of the
BTM accepting a nomination for Sid, now Google are confident about
using quantum physics in computing
(https://telecoms.com/500518/google-claims-quantum-computing-breakthrough-ibm-disagrees/)
I see no reason why not.

Just be careful at the BTA ceremony: if the BTM and Sid were to touch
together, they might disappear. Each up their own vortex.

2019-10-27 08:41:14 UTC
On Sun, 27 Oct 2019 05:50:25 +0000, Sid Nuncius
I realise it may be private, but _can_ you tell us more? Is this a
workman who has done something for you here in the UK, or in Bulgaria,
or ...
I hope this isn't a payment for refrigerated lorry hire.
BTN!
...and before we get any guff about the apparent recursiveness of the
BTM accepting a nomination for Sid, now Google are confident about
using quantum physics in computing
(https://telecoms.com/500518/google-claims-quantum-computing-breakthrough-ibm-disagrees/)
I see no reason why not.
Just be careful at the BTA ceremony: if the BTM and Sid were to touch
together, they might disappear. Each up their own vortex.
Nick
... now wash your hands please.
<lw>
Vicky Ayech
2019-10-27 09:11:26 UTC
On Sun, 27 Oct 2019 06:19:27 +0000, Nick Odell
Post by Nick Odell
On Sun, 27 Oct 2019 05:50:25 +0000, Sid Nuncius
I realise it may be private, but _can_ you tell us more? Is this a
workman who has done something for you here in the UK, or in Bulgaria,
or ...
I hope this isn't a payment for refrigerated lorry hire.
BTN!
...and before we get any guff about the apparent recursiveness of the
BTM accepting a nomination for Sid, now Google are confident about
using quantum physics in computing
(https://telecoms.com/500518/google-claims-quantum-computing-breakthrough-ibm-disagrees/)
I see no reason why not.
Just be careful at the BTA ceremony: if the BTM and Sid were to touch
together, they might disappear. Each up their own vortex.
Nick
What a lovely idea! We've never had entertainment at the ceremony
before, apart from the speeches and award giving. A magic act always
goes down well.
Sid Nuncius
2019-10-27 09:14:57 UTC
On Sun, 27 Oct 2019 05:50:25 +0000, Sid Nuncius
I realise it may be private, but _can_ you tell us more? Is this a
workman who has done something for you here in the UK, or in Bulgaria,
or ...
I hope this isn't a payment for refrigerated lorry hire.
BTN!
Very well - if you insist. The People seem to have spoken and I will
honour the result of...(cont. a.d. 2022)
2019-10-27 11:29:38 UTC
On Sun, 27 Oct 2019 05:50:25 +0000, Sid Nuncius
I realise it may be private, but _can_ you tell us more? Is this a
workman who has done something for you here in the UK, or in Bulgaria,
or ...
I hope this isn't a payment for refrigerated lorry hire.
BTN!
Very well - if you insist. The People seem to have spoken and I will
honour the result of...(cont. a.d. 2022)
Yippee, goody-goody gumdrops!
2019-10-27 18:29:09 UTC
On Sun, 27 Oct 2019 05:50:25 +0000, Sid Nuncius
I realise it may be private, but _can_ you tell us more? Is this a
workman who has done something for you here in the UK, or in Bulgaria,
or ...
I hope this isn't a payment for refrigerated lorry hire.
BTN!
...and before we get any guff about the apparent recursiveness of the
BTM accepting a nomination for Sid, now Google are confident about
using quantum physics in computing
(https://telecoms.com/500518/google-claims-quantum-computing-breakthrough-ibm-disagrees/)
I see no reason why not.
Just be careful at the BTA ceremony: if the BTM and Sid were to touch
together, they might disappear. Each up their own vortex.
Vortex is extra Luv.

(As is Gortex)
2019-10-27 18:42:37 UTC
On Sun, 27 Oct 2019 05:50:25 +0000, Sid Nuncius
I realise it may be private, but _can_ you tell us more? Is this a
workman who has done something for you here in the UK, or in Bulgaria,
or ...
I hope this isn't a payment for refrigerated lorry hire.
BTN!
...and before we get any guff about the apparent recursiveness of the
BTM accepting a nomination for Sid, now Google are confident about
using quantum physics in computing
(https://telecoms.com/500518/google-claims-quantum-computing-breakthrough-ibm-disagrees/)
I see no reason why not.
Just be careful at the BTA ceremony: if the BTM and Sid were to touch
together, they might disappear. Each up their own vortex.
Vortex is extra Luv.
(As is Gortex)
And Artex requires a certain skill.
2019-10-27 18:44:07 UTC
On Sun, 27 Oct 2019 05:50:25 +0000, Sid Nuncius
I realise it may be private, but _can_ you tell us more? Is this a
workman who has done something for you here in the UK, or in Bulgaria,
or ...
I hope this isn't a payment for refrigerated lorry hire.
BTN!
...and before we get any guff about the apparent recursiveness of the
BTM accepting a nomination for Sid, now Google are confident about
using quantum physics in computing
(https://telecoms.com/500518/google-claims-quantum-computing-breakthrough-ibm-disagrees/)
I see no reason why not.
Just be careful at the BTA ceremony: if the BTM and Sid were to touch
together, they might disappear. Each up their own vortex.
Vortex is extra Luv.
(As is Gortex)
And Artex requires a certain skill.
I’ll leave Brittski to do the line that would court a BTN!
The limerick about the young lady from Ealing would be MV.
Mike
2019-10-27 20:47:00 UTC
[...]
Oh, would that be the Lady in Lurex...?
No, the one who had a peculiar feeling.
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2019-10-27 22:14:44 UTC
Vortex is extra Luv.
(As is Gortex)
And Artex requires a certain skill.
That of a pargeter, in fact.

But remember, in a permissive society, it is also permissible to stay at home
and have a nice cup of tea instead. Andrew Collins, RT 2015/2/14-20
Sam Plusnet
2019-10-28 19:32:46 UTC
Vortex is extra Luv.
(As is Gortex)
And Artex requires a certain skill.
That of a pargeter, in fact.
Now now!
There's no call for that sort of talk here.
2019-10-28 20:30:07 UTC
Vortex is extra Luv.
(As is Gortex)
And Artex requires a certain skill.
That of a pargeter, in fact.
Now now!
There's no call for that sort of talk here.
(-:

[For anyrat wondering what I was on about, parget(t)ing is ornamental
plasterwork - see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pargeting; I believe
Saffron Walden is particularly known for it, though
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saffron_Walden makes no mention of it.]

Electricians do it 'till it Hz.
Sally Thompson
2019-10-27 08:40:07 UTC
I realise it may be private, but _can_ you tell us more? Is this a
workman who has done something for you here in the UK, or in Bulgaria,
or ...
I hope this isn't a payment for refrigerated lorry hire.
At the risk of repetition, (not deviation or any form of hesitation) Mr.
Sid,.... BT flippin N!
2019-10-27 08:50:50 UTC
I hope this isn't a payment for refrigerated lorry hire.
At the risk of repetition, (not deviation or any form of hesitation) Mr.
Sid,.... BT flippin N!
As JPG has pondered elsewhere, I haven't heard anything
explaining how the Ambulance Service came to be attending the
lorry in question.

Is this because the explanation is thought to be unimportant, or
is some information being deliberately withheld?

***@cdixon.me.uk @ChrisJDixon1
2019-10-27 11:18:14 UTC
Post by Chris J Dixon
I hope this isn't a payment for refrigerated lorry hire.
At the risk of repetition, (not deviation or any form of hesitation) Mr.
Sid,.... BT flippin N!
As JPG has pondered elsewhere, I haven't heard anything
explaining how the Ambulance Service came to be attending the
lorry in question.
Is this because the explanation is thought to be unimportant, or
is some information being deliberately withheld?
Chris
It's all a bit vague but surely deliberately so. I thought that perhaps
the driver, an innocent patsy, had realised something was wrong and had
called it in himself. The fact he's been charged, though, suggests he
wasn't innocent. Why was it stopped so oddly at a junction in the
industrial estate? Was it stopped by police? I suppose this will all
come out eventually once they have pinned down the smuggler ring.
2019-10-27 11:33:33 UTC
Post by Kate B
Post by Chris J Dixon
[...]
... and they have frozen all the arsettes.
2019-10-27 12:01:34 UTC
Post by Kate B
Post by Chris J Dixon
[...]
One of the reports I've seen, suggested that the driver called the
emergency services, when he realised what had happened. It wasn't clear
how he realised, I think it was suggested that he was checking for some
paperwork or summat. The fact that he's been charged,suggests that the
police think he probably knew the people were in there, although he may
have expected them to be fit and well.
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy
enough people to make it worth the effort. (Herm Albright)
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2019-10-27 15:31:31 UTC
Post by Kate B
Post by Chris J Dixon
I hope this isn't a payment for refrigerated lorry hire.
At the risk of repetition, (not deviation or any form of hesitation) Mr.
Sid,.... BT flippin N!
As JPG has pondered elsewhere, I haven't heard anything
explaining how the Ambulance Service came to be attending the
lorry in question.
Is this because the explanation is thought to be unimportant, or
I wouldn't put that past the news media, who seem unwilling to actually
think (this seemed a fairly obvious question to me), preferring instead
to repeat ad nauseam what they've said many times before ...
Post by Serena Blanchflower
Post by Kate B
Post by Chris J Dixon
is some information being deliberately withheld?
... but there might be some element of that.
Post by Kate B
Post by Chris J Dixon
Chris
It's all a bit vague but surely deliberately so. I thought that
perhaps the driver, an innocent patsy, had realised something was
wrong and had called it in himself. The fact he's been charged,
Yes, just taking it and parking it on an industrial estate somewhere
seems odd, for a refrigerated lorry (actually it's the container that's
refrigerated); you'd expect it to contain food of some sort, so when he
saw where it was to be delivered he might have thought it odd ...
Post by Kate B
though, suggests he wasn't innocent. Why was it stopped so oddly at a
... but as you say, maybe not. Alternatively, he may just be being held
while they sort things out.
Post by Kate B
junction in the industrial estate? Was it stopped by police? I
suppose this will all come out eventually once they have pinned down
the smuggler ring.
As you say, it does seem to have been an odd place to stop.
Post by Serena Blanchflower
One of the reports I've seen, suggested that the driver called the
emergency services, when he realised what had happened. It wasn't
clear how he realised, I think it was suggested that he was checking
for some paperwork or summat. The fact that he's been charged,suggests
that the police think he probably knew the people were in there,
although he may have expected them to be fit and well.
Plausible. He might have gone to release them. (I haven't heard the
reports that he called 999, but the coverage has moved on to other
matters now. Though that's another fairly obvious, to me, matter: they
have revealed now, but it took them quite a while during which they were
saying "we don't know where the container was before Zeebrugge", when
surely they're all computer-tracked at every move these days.)

"Victory does not bring with it a sense of triumph - rather the dull numbness
of relief..." - Cecil Beaton quoted by Anthony Horowitz, RT 2015/1/3-9
SODAM
2019-10-27 07:43:43 UTC
In message
.
I realise it may be private, but _can_ you tell us more? Is this a
workman who has done something for you here in the UK, or in Bulgaria,
or ...
It’s for a joiner, who made me some vehicle gates with a tiled canopy over
the top. The eleven-year-old ones were beginning to rot and the bottom had
fallen away, allowing a fox to enter my neighbour’s vegetable garden
nightly and dig there. She lost a lot of her crop. As some recompense, I
asked her elder son to make the gates.
The new canopy should better preserve these gates.

I don’t think that this is interesting, JPEG!
BrritSki
2019-10-27 08:57:45 UTC
Post by SODAM
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
In message
.
I realise it may be private, but _can_ you tell us more? Is this a
workman who has done something for you here in the UK, or in Bulgaria,
or ...
It’s for a joiner, who made me some vehicle gates with a tiled canopy over
the top. The eleven-year-old ones were beginning to rot and the bottom had
fallen away, allowing a fox to enter my neighbour’s vegetable garden
nightly and dig there. She lost a lot of her crop. As some recompense, I
asked her elder son to make the gates.
The new canopy should better preserve these gates.
I'm not sure why it should be YOUR responsibility to send it unless it
was part of the original agreement. Pay him in pounds - what he does
with it then is up to him....
Nick Odell
2019-10-27 10:25:36 UTC
On Sun, 27 Oct 2019 08:57:45 +0000, BrritSki
In message
.
I realise it may be private, but _can_ you tell us more? Is this a
workman who has done something for you here in the UK, or in Bulgaria,
or ...
It’s for a joiner, who made me some vehicle gates with a tiled canopy over
the top. The eleven-year-old ones were beginning to rot and the bottom had
fallen away, allowing a fox to enter my neighbour’s vegetable garden
nightly and dig there. She lost a lot of her crop. As some recompense, I
asked her elder son to make the gates.
The new canopy should better preserve these gates.
I'm not sure why it should be YOUR responsibility to send it unless it
was part of the original agreement. Pay him in pounds - what he does
with it then is up to him....
I dunno about that. I guess it's down to local custom and practice
about which I do not know.

Perhaps it's different in Italy where they all must know that the lira
sterlina is the bastard lovechild of the lira italiana but if I were
to offer portraits of Her Majesty in return for favours in Argentina I
would be met with frosty stares.

On the other hand, I always keep to hand a few American dollars for
gift-giving, favours and the like since they are appreciated more than
the local currency over there.

2019-10-27 10:29:16 UTC
On Sun, 27 Oct 2019 08:57:45 +0000, BrritSki
Post by BrritSki
Post by SODAM
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
In message
.
I realise it may be private, but _can_ you tell us more? Is this a
workman who has done something for you here in the UK, or in Bulgaria,
or ...
It’s for a joiner, who made me some vehicle gates with a tiled canopy over
the top. The eleven-year-old ones were beginning to rot and the bottom had
fallen away, allowing a fox to enter my neighbour’s vegetable garden
nightly and dig there. She lost a lot of her crop. As some recompense, I
asked her elder son to make the gates.
The new canopy should better preserve these gates.
I'm not sure why it should be YOUR responsibility to send it unless it
was part of the original agreement. Pay him in pounds - what he does
with it then is up to him....
I dunno about that. I guess it's down to local custom and practice
about which I do not know.
Sorry, am I missing something ? Was this work done in Bulgaria ?

I was assuming it was done in the UK. We have always paid for work done
in Italy in Euros and in £s for work done here...
SODAM
2019-10-27 11:17:23 UTC
Sorry, am I missing something ? Was this work done in Bulgaria ?
I was assuming it was done in the UK. We have always paid for work done
in Italy in Euros and in £s for work done here...
Yes, it was done in Bulgaria and payment is to be in euros.
BrritSki
2019-10-27 11:27:49 UTC
Post by SODAM
Post by BrritSki
Sorry, am I missing something ? Was this work done in Bulgaria ?
I was assuming it was done in the UK. We have always paid for work done
in Italy in Euros and in £s for work done here...
Yes, it was done in Bulgaria and payment is to be in euros.
Ah. Ignore my previous remark then.

Have you bought somewhere in Bulgaria ? How did you get money out there
for that, or to pay rent if not ?
BrritSki
Sorry, ignore that too - none of my business ! :)
Sally Thompson
2019-10-27 07:49:41 UTC
Post by SODAM
Please can someone financially savvy resolve my problem? I need to send
money to Bulgaria. The workman would like to be paid by Easypay. Not having
an account with them, I looked it up on the net but the few results I got
looked too dubious. I wanted to pay him by PayPal but he may not have an
account. All I have is a phone number.
I checked Western Union but they wanted to charge me an exorbitant amount
via a terrible exchange rate.
Please someone advise me?
I don't know if this helps but I was talking to my cousin last night who
regularly sends money to Canada, and she has found that the cheapest way is
to post a cheque in sterling. Obviously the amount received will depend on
the exchange rate at the time, but there are no fees.
2019-10-27 09:55:53 UTC
On 27 Oct 2019 07:49:41 GMT, Sally Thompson
Post by Sally Thompson
Post by SODAM
Please can someone financially savvy resolve my problem? I need to send
money to Bulgaria. The workman would like to be paid by Easypay. Not having
an account with them, I looked it up on the net but the few results I got
looked too dubious. I wanted to pay him by PayPal but he may not have an
account. All I have is a phone number.
I checked Western Union but they wanted to charge me an exorbitant amount
via a terrible exchange rate.
Please someone advise me?
I don't know if this helps but I was talking to my cousin last night who
regularly sends money to Canada, and she has found that the cheapest way is
to post a cheque in sterling. Obviously the amount received will depend on
the exchange rate at the time, but there are no fees.
This does not cost you anything but apprently costs the recipient lots
as their bank charges as it is expensive, unless the UK and foreign
bank have a reciprical arrangement.
Sally Thompson
2019-10-27 17:33:51 UTC
Post by Sally Thompson
Post by SODAM
[...]
Not in this case. It's paid directly into a bank account.
2019-10-27 10:20:57 UTC
Post by SODAM
Please can someone financially savvy resolve my problem? I need to send
money to Bulgaria. The workman would like to be paid by Easypay. Not having
an account with them, I looked it up on the net but the few results I got
looked too dubious. I wanted to pay him by PayPal but he may not have an
account. All I have is a phone number.
I checked Western Union but they wanted to charge me an exorbitant amount
via a terrible exchange rate.
Please someone advise me?
A charity I am a trustee of regularly sends quite large sums of money to
Paraguay (hallo, Mr Odell, I didn't see you there!) and we use HiFX, now
XE, who have been reliable and relatively good value. I don't know
details, as I'm not the one who organises this, and I don't know how the
re-branding is working, but they are certainly worth looking at.
Anne B
2019-10-27 23:26:16 UTC
Post by SODAM
Please can someone financially savvy resolve my problem? I need to send
money to Bulgaria. The workman would like to be paid by Easypay. Not having
an account with them, I looked it up on the net but the few results I got
looked too dubious. I wanted to pay him by PayPal but he may not have an
account. All I have is a phone number.
I checked Western Union but they wanted to charge me an exorbitant amount
via a terrible exchange rate.
Please someone advise me?
I regularly make payments in euros into an account in Germany and I just
go to the bank and get them to do it. It used to cost about £9 but I
have had to change banks and it was a bit more last time.

Also used the same system to pay Euros to Ireland and Cyprus, and kroner
to Norway.

Anne B
Mike
2019-10-28 08:22:50 UTC
Post by Anne B
Post by SODAM
Please can someone financially savvy resolve my problem? I need to send
money to Bulgaria. The workman would like to be paid by Easypay. Not having
an account with them, I looked it up on the net but the few results I got
looked too dubious. I wanted to pay him by PayPal but he may not have an
account. All I have is a phone number.
I checked Western Union but they wanted to charge me an exorbitant amount
via a terrible exchange rate.
Please someone advise me?
I regularly make payments in euros into an account in Germany and I just
go to the bank and get them to do it. It used to cost about £9 but I
have had to change banks and it was a bit more last time.
Also used the same system to pay Euros to Ireland and Cyprus, and kroner
to Norway.
Anne B
Ah yes! We used to enjoy a bottle of Kroner.
Nick Leverton
2019-10-28 10:43:00 UTC
Post by SODAM
Please can someone financially savvy resolve my problem? I need to send
money to Bulgaria. The workman would like to be paid by Easypay. Not having
an account with them, I looked it up on the net but the few results I got
looked too dubious. I wanted to pay him by PayPal but he may not have an
account. All I have is a phone number.
I checked Western Union but they wanted to charge me an exorbitant amount
via a terrible exchange rate.
Please someone advise me?
Some banks - First Direct for one - do fee-free direct bank transfers
abroad, if you can get bank account details (BIC = international bank
code, and IBAN = international account number, usually just their normal
account I think).

2019-10-28 14:46:08 UTC
On Mon, 28 Oct 2019 10:43:00 +0000 (UTC), Nick Leverton <***@leverton.org>
scrawled in the dust...
Post by Nick Leverton
Some banks - First Direct for one - do fee-free direct bank transfers
abroad, if you can get bank account details (BIC = international bank
code, and IBAN = international account number, usually just their normal
account I think).
I tried to get a Canadian University to pay me (for use of a photo in an
exam IIRC) that way but they insisted I had to fill in a form and email it
back to them and they would send me a cheque in the post.

I did so, filling in all my name and address details correctly. I never got
the cheque so they never got the photo.

Some years later I came across the pdf of the form which they had sent me.
I noticed the name and address details pre-filled at the top of it were
those of another person of the same name who works in theatre and was based
in St Albans (I was aware of her existence because Google).

I have wondered since if she received an unexplained cheque from a Canadian
University. I have not heard from the University since so assume they made
some other arrangement - or just thought I was scamming them in some way.
2019-10-28 17:53:58 UTC
Post by Nick Leverton
[...]
Have you applied for a Canadian eTA recently? Any unexplained refusal?

2019-10-28 18:36:07 UTC
On Mon, 28 Oct 2019 17:53:58 +0000, Nick Odell
[...]
I have no idea what that means and would rather guess than look it up.
Assuming it is related to travelling to Canada I could point out I have no
passport and have not travelled outside the UK since 2002.
2019-10-28 19:03:41 UTC
In message <***@4ax.com>, Penny
<***@labyrinth.freeuk.com> writes:
I tried to get a Canadian University to pay me (for use of a photo in an
exam IIRC) that way but they insisted I had to fill in a form and email it
back to them and they would send me a cheque in the post.
I did so, filling in all my name and address details correctly. I never got
the cheque so they never got the photo.
Some years later I came across the pdf of the form which they had sent me.
I noticed the name and address details pre-filled at the top of it were
those of another person of the same name who works in theatre and was based
in St Albans (I was aware of her existence because Google).
I have wondered since if she received an unexplained cheque from a Canadian
University. I have not heard from the University since so assume they made
some other arrangement - or just thought I was scamming them in some way.
Have you ever contacted her? (Making clear you don't want the cheque, if
relevant!) It might be an interesting friendship.

(Though I admit I haven't ever contacted _my_ namesake in Yorkshire Fire
Brigade Union.)

My movies rise below vulgarity. - Mel Brooks, quoted by Barry Norman in RT
2016/11/26-12/2
Penny
2019-10-28 21:11:19 UTC
On Mon, 28 Oct 2019 19:03:41 +0000, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
[...]
No, by the time I noticed it was years after the (non) event.
I've been aware of her existence since I first looked at the internet. I
already knew (as in had actually met) two women with the same name but
never found them online. Apart from a real estate agent in the US there
weren't many of us around then - more now.
2019-10-28 13:05:21 UTC
Post by SODAM
I wanted to pay him by PayPal but he may not have an
account.
I thought you could send someone money by PayPal even if they don't have
a PP account.
http://jennygenes.blogspot.co.uk/
Kate B
2019-10-28 14:32:27 UTC
Post by SODAM
I wanted to pay him by PayPal but he may not have an
account.
I thought you could send someone money by PayPal even if they don't have
a PP account.
You can but it takes forever, and what they get is a PayPal cheque in
the post which they have to pay into a bank. Been there...
2019-10-31 09:11:33 UTC
Post by SODAM
Please can someone financially savvy resolve my problem? I need to send
money to Bulgaria....
Hope you got this resolved Mary...

As it happens, I had to send money to Italy myself yesterday to pay a
deposit on an apartment for a holiday next year. As it was only a small
sum I looked at Paypal and eventually got to their associate Xoom [1]
and got a quote with only a 99p fee and a decent ROE.

I then thought I should follow my own advice and see what Moneycorp
would charge, so logged on but couldn't find a current ROE page so I
called them and gave them my customer id, name, dob, address etc and
eventually got a quote that was slightly lower and instructions about
how to do this online.

So I logged in again, filled in all the details, added a new debit card
(normally I would use an online bank transfer of the funds) and it all
went through....

Until minutes later I received an email saying that the address I gave
for my card didn't match the address on my account.

Logged back in again and sure enough there was an old address there, so
called again so they could verify the correct address with an Experian
check.
"All done" she says.
"So how come I got through the first security check giving my "wrong"
address" ?
Embarrassed silence...

[1] Although I didn't use Xoom, I am now a member apparently and if
anyone else wants to join and use my name we both get £25 intro fee !
SarahLGomez
2019-12-02 10:34:17 UTC
It is always difficult for students to send money abroad, but wire transfer is an easy and legal way to send money online. But for online transaction's Mobile applications are the best way to Send Money Abroad. We can send money instantly with the help of online banking applications. And we can also send money on holidays.
d***@gmail.com
2019-12-02 10:36:02 UTC
It is always difficult for students to send money abroad, but wire transfer is an easy and legal way to send money abroad. But for online transaction's Mobile application North Loop is the best way to Send Money Abroad. We can send money instantly with the help of online banking applications. And we can also send money on holidays.
Sally Thompson
2019-12-02 14:24:13 UTC
Post by SarahLGomez
It is always difficult for students to send money abroad, but wire
transfer is an easy and legal way to send money online. But for online
transaction's Mobile applications are the best way to Send Money Abroad.
We can send money instantly with the help of online banking applications.
And we can also send money on holidays.
Do you send apostrophes too?
2019-12-02 14:42:14 UTC
Post by SarahLGomez
It is always difficult for students to send money abroad, but wire
transfer is an easy and legal way to send money online. But for online
transaction's Mobile applications are the best way to Send Money Abroad.
We can send money instantly with the help of online banking applications.
And we can also send money on holidays.
Do you send apostrophes too?
Only to random capitals.

2019-12-02 16:34:34 UTC
Post by SarahLGomez
It is always difficult for students to send money abroad, but wire
transfer is an easy and legal way to send money online. But for online
transaction's Mobile applications are the best way to Send Money Abroad.
We can send money instantly with the help of online banking applications.
And we can also send money on holidays.
Do you send apostrophes too?
Sadly the Apostrophe Protection Society is closing:
https://www.apostrophe.org.uk/
Paul Herber
2019-12-02 16:42:58 UTC
Post by SarahLGomez
It is always difficult for students to send money abroad, but wire
transfer is an easy and legal way to send money online. But for online
transaction's Mobile applications are the best way to Send Money Abroad.
We can send money instantly with the help of online banking applications.
And we can also send money on holidays.
Do you send apostrophes too?
https://www.apostrophe.org.uk/
No, the AP'S isnt clo'sing.
--
Regards, Paul Herber
https://www.paulherber.co.uk/
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2019-12-02 18:39:00 UTC
In message
[]
Post by Paul Herber
Post by SarahLGomez
And we can also send money on holidays.
I'm certainly not sending any of my money on one of your holidays; I'd
be pretty sure it would decide it liked it there, and not come back.
Post by Paul Herber
Do you send apostrophes too?
https://www.apostrophe.org.uk/
No, the AP'S isnt clo'sing.
(-:. I must admit, when I heard the news, that I thought the ditching of
the _possessive_ apostrophe would on the whole benefit mankind. The one
that indicates an omission, does actually have a purpose.
(And the clip they showed on the telly was really incompetent: it showed
the same [erroneous] sign ["Oxford Motor's" or something like that] from
three different angles, rather than a selection of such signs.)

Why doesn't DOS ever say "EXCELLENT command or filename!"
Sam Plusnet
2019-12-02 21:24:51 UTC
Post by SarahLGomez
It is always difficult for students to send money abroad, but wire transfer is an easy and legal way to send money online. But for online transaction's Mobile applications are the best way to Send Money Abroad. We can send money instantly with the help of online banking applications. And we can also send money on holidays.
G'Heavens! Usenet still gets spam.

It must be less dead than I thought.
2019-12-03 16:33:20 UTC
Post by SarahLGomez
It is always difficult for students to send money abroad, but wire transfer is an easy and legal way to send money online. But for online transaction's Mobile applications are the best way to Send Money Abroad. We can send money instantly with the help of online banking applications. And we can also send money on holidays.
G'Heavens! Usenet still gets spam.
It must be less dead than I thought.
Some groups have attracted vast amounts of it. I now have things
set up to Mark Read stuff from Gmail, white listing genuine
posters.

***@cdixon.me.uk @ChrisJDixon1
Plant amazing Acers.
SarahLGomez
2019-12-02 10:39:32 UTC
It is always very difficult for students to send money abroad while they are studying, but the North Loop application provides an easy and legal way to send money online. We can send money instantly with the help of online banking applications. And we can also send money on holidays.
SODAM
2019-12-02 23:13:13 UTC
Post by SarahLGomez
It is always very difficult for students to send money abroad while they
are studying, but the North Loop application provides an easy and legal
way to send money online. We can send money instantly with the help of
online banking applications. And we can also send money on holidays.
I’m sorry, folks, it’s my fault for letting in the (belated) spammers. I
shouldn’t have asked a money question of EU in the header. Another time
I’ll use a more tangential header.

It’s so long ago now that I can’t remember whether or not I thanked umrats
for their suggestions. After having tried several methods over three weeks,
my own bank sent the money at the headline rate of exchange for a fee of
only £4. Apparently, further amounts could be sent free now that the
payee’s details are set up. That’s the bank with a white on black logo of
two initials in lower case.

Don’t know why the lady thinks I’m a student: my only study lately has been
at the University of Life.