Ask EU ... name that radio programme
2020-07-18 09:31:34 UTC
I'm trying to recall the name of a 4-part radio comedy series from the BBC.

It concerned an ineffective vicar that had just moved to a new parish
which was populated by extreme characters.

- his scottish housekeeper insisted he finished his (cabbage soup?)
- an old woman took a break from cleaning the gutters in order to fetch
someone a glass of water
- two old women had a surveillance system and capable of seeing
fish-heads in someone's shopping basket but had to send it back because
they couldn't keep up the payments
- a man was preying on an old woman by buying her antique furniture too
cheaply but didn't realise that she was fattening him up to feed him to
her cat
- a gang of OAPs were mugging people on the street (not sure about this one)

I have a feeling of deja view on this question, but can anyrat name the
programme?
Dumrat
2020-07-18 13:26:50 UTC
Post by DavidK
[...]
The Vicar of Wimbledon? Or Murders in Wimbledon? Nigel someone wrote it?
--
Salaam Alaykum,
Anne, Exceptionally Traditionally-built Dumrat
Dumrat
2020-07-18 13:33:03 UTC
Post by Dumrat
Post by DavidK
[...]
I'm sorry, I was thinking of The Wimbledon Poisoner by Nigel Williams, which is wrong. But
I do know the one you mean, though I can't remember its title. She writes, not so helpfully.
Jenny M Benson
2020-07-18 13:34:22 UTC
Post by Dumrat
Post by DavidK
[...]
Don't know whether or not Dumrat is right, but the one she is referring
to is The Wimbledon Poisoner by Nigel Williams.
Wrexham, UK
Dumrat
2020-07-18 13:46:26 UTC
Post by Dumrat
Post by DavidK
[...]
I was wrong, but the one I am thinking of and which I think David is looking for is The
Secret Life of Rosewood Avenue: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00jg6yx Heaven knows the
circuitous thinking which took me via Wimbledon, but there you go!
Jenny M Benson
2020-07-18 14:13:55 UTC
Post by Dumrat
I was wrong, but the one I am thinking of and which I think David is
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00jg6yx Heaven knows the circuitous
thinking which took me via Wimbledon, but there you go!
Ah yes! Now you mention it I recall that as being one of my
instantly-reach-for-the-off-switch triggers.
Wrexham, UK
DavidK
2020-07-18 15:04:11 UTC
Post by Dumrat
I was wrong, but the one I am thinking of and which I think David is
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00jg6yx Heaven knows the circuitous
thinking which took me via Wimbledon, but there you go!
Ah yes! Now you mention it I recall that as being one of my
instantly-reach-for-the-off-switch triggers.
That's the badger! I thought I had a copy* on my laptop and searched for
Street, Road and Crescent. I should have persevered.

*It turns out I only have the last two episodes. Never mind, they will
be repeated on 4Extra sometime.
DavidK
2020-07-18 15:10:21 UTC
Post by DavidK
Post by Jenny M Benson
Post by Dumrat
I was wrong, but the one I am thinking of and which I think David is
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00jg6yx Heaven knows the circuitous
thinking which took me via Wimbledon, but there you go!
Ah yes! Now you mention it I recall that as being one of my
instantly-reach-for-the-off-switch triggers.
That's the badger! I thought I had a copy* on my laptop and searched for
Street, Road and Crescent. I should have persevered.
*It turns out I only have the last two episodes. Never mind, they will
be repeated on 4Extra sometime.
Or get it from here
<http://www.radioechoes.com/?page=series&genre=OTR-Comedy&series=The%20Secret%20Life%20Of%20Rosewood%20Avenue>
, and it was five episodes

Thank you
steveski
2020-07-19 00:27:19 UTC
On Sat, 18 Jul 2020 16:04:11 +0100, DavidK wrote:

[]
Post by DavidK
That's the badger!
Should have read forward :-)
2020-07-18 15:17:35 UTC
Post by Dumrat
Post by Jenny M Benson
Post by Dumrat
Post by DavidK
[...]
Once an Ursuline, always an Ursuline.
2020-07-18 15:20:21 UTC
Post by Kate B
Post by Dumrat
Post by Jenny M Benson
Post by Dumrat
Post by DavidK
[...]
That’s for diabetics innit?
2020-07-19 06:16:41 UTC
Post by Kate B
Post by Dumrat
Heaven knows the circuitous
thinking which took me via Wimbledon, but there you go!
Once an Ursuline, always an Ursuline.
Oooh - were you two both at The Ursuline in Wimbledon? I taught at
Ricards Lodge (just up the road) for eight years. We had quite a few
sports fixtures and one notable mass brawl against the Ursuline during
my time there.
2020-07-19 09:16:22 UTC
Post by Kate B
Heaven knows the circuitous thinking which took me via Wimbledon, but
there you go!
Once an Ursuline, always an Ursuline.
Oooh - were you two both at The Ursuline in Wimbledon?  I taught at
Ricards Lodge (just up the road) for eight years.  We had quite a few
sports fixtures and one notable mass brawl against the Ursuline during
my time there.
In Mey Day, Young Man, I'll have you know that the nuns kept a very
tight rein on us gels. The only time we ever met boys in school time was
school mass at Edge Hill with the Jesuit Wimbledon College boys. Sister
Joseph (small, vicious, taught Latin) used to stand at the gates at
going home time to make sure we were all wearing white gloves. The Head
Girl (tall, athletic, commanding) once addressed the whole school after
assembly to tell us that some girls had been seen at Wimbledon Station
not only not wearing gloves but CHEWING GUM.

Violence was certainly there, but less physical than mental, there was
quite a lot of bullying but no physical marks were ever left. Our Dumrat
is a few years younger than me but I suspect the conditions were
similar. I'm ashamed to say I had never heard of Ricards Lodge until
now. What - who - started the mass brawl?
Dumrat
2020-07-19 13:08:37 UTC
Post by Kate B
[...]
Sister Joseph was still a fierce force to be reckoned with when Kate's younger sister and
I started together at the Wimbledon Ursulines in 1967 - by then, the white gloves were no
longer part of the uniform, but Sister Jo (as she was later affectionately known, as she
was discovered to have a heart of gold as she/we aged) would put the fear of God into our
11 year old hearts when she randomly came into the classroom to measure the distance of
our uniform tunics from above our knees to the ground, when kneeling.

I only heard about Ricards Lodge long after I left the school, and that would have been
when my mother moved into a flat in a block very close to the school, in about 1994. Once
when visiting her, I remember reading something in the local freebie paper about a brawl
at Wimbledon Station involving Ursuline girls and maybe Ricards Lodge was the other school
involved?

(My having inherited that flat and it currently being on my mind because of legal action
being taken at the moment is most probably why I took that circuitous route in the first
place, by the way!)
Sid Nuncius
2020-07-19 17:57:11 UTC
Post by Dumrat
Post by Kate B
Post by Kate B
[...]
Indeed yes, but it must have been several years earlier. In the late
80s, I'd guess. (I refer the honourable umrat to the answer I gave to
Kate a few moments ago.)

I hope the legal business gets sorted for you, Anne. Doesn't sound good.
2020-07-20 14:16:22 UTC
Post by Dumrat
Post by Kate B
Post by Kate B
[...]
Sorry to hear you’ve still got the flat millstone round your neck, Dumrat.

2020-07-19 18:11:42 UTC
Post by Dumrat
I only heard about Ricards Lodge long after I left the school, and that
would have been when my mother moved into a flat in a block very close
to the school, in about 1994. Once when visiting her, I remember reading
something in the local freebie paper about a brawl at Wimbledon Station
involving Ursuline girls and maybe Ricards Lodge was the other school
involved?
Apologies, Anne - your chronology is correct. A bit of googling found
this from The Mirror, 16 November 1996:
https://www.thefreelibrary.com/200+RIOTING+SCHOOLGIRLS+CLOSE+TOWN%3B+Love+row+sparks+brawl.-a061281914

I'd long gone by then, but it must have happened again. Perhaps its a
once-a-decade sort of thing.
2020-07-19 20:38:53 UTC
Post by Dumrat
I only heard about Ricards Lodge long after I left the school, and
that would have been when my mother moved into a flat in a block very
close to the school, in about 1994. Once when visiting her, I remember
reading something in the local freebie paper about a brawl at
Wimbledon Station involving Ursuline girls and maybe Ricards Lodge was
the other school involved?
Apologies, Anne - your chronology is correct.  A bit of googling found
https://www.thefreelibrary.com/200+RIOTING+SCHOOLGIRLS+CLOSE+TOWN%3B+Love+row+sparks+brawl.-a061281914
I'd long gone by then, but it must have happened again.  Perhaps its a
once-a-decade sort of thing.
Quote:

"There were boys and girls involved, but I understand from our officers
that it was the girls who were particularly vicious."

Police arrested three boys who were later released without charge."

Take a look at the lawman.
Beating up the wrong guy · Oh man!
Wonder if he'll ever know.
2020-07-20 05:50:04 UTC
Post by Dumrat
[...]
It does sound like the freakiest show.
2020-07-19 17:52:47 UTC
Post by Kate B
Post by Kate B
Heaven knows the circuitous thinking which took me via Wimbledon,
but there you go!
Once an Ursuline, always an Ursuline.
Oooh - were you two both at The Ursuline in Wimbledon?  I taught at
Ricards Lodge (just up the road) for eight years.  We had quite a few
sports fixtures and one notable mass brawl against the Ursuline during
my time there.
In Mey Day, Young Man, I'll have you know that the nuns kept a very
tight rein on us gels. The only time we ever met boys in school time was
school mass at Edge Hill with the Jesuit Wimbledon College boys.
Who said anything about boys? Is that all you think about? ;O)

Ricards Lodge was a "girls' comprehensive" (something of an oxymoron)
where I taught from 1982-1990.

The brawl is the one that Dumrat heard about; a mass fight at Wimbledon
Station, something to do with a boyfriend (surprise!) but I never heard
the details, for which I am rather grateful. It was quite a big deal at
the time, with front page coverage in the Wimbledon News (was that the
name of the local paper?), the police giving our gels A Stern Talking To
in assembly and so on. Happy days.

To be fair, it was a very well behaved sort of place by and large, but
we did have a few proper thugs and a number of their hangers-on. I
wouldn't have wanted to be facing them in a brawl, that's for sure.
2020-07-18 15:29:44 UTC
Post by Dumrat
I was wrong, but the one I am thinking of and which I think David is
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00jg6yx Heaven knows the circuitous
thinking which took me via Wimbledon, but there you go!
Boodly sat-nav again?
2020-07-19 00:25:42 UTC
On Sat, 18 Jul 2020 17:46:26 +0400, Dumrat wrote:

[]
Post by Dumrat
I was wrong, but the one I am thinking of and which I think David is
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00jg6yx
Dat's der bunny. I enjoyed it for the surreal aspect mixed with the
mundane.
tiny hadron
2020-08-05 19:04:20 UTC
Post by Dumrat
I was wrong, but the one I am thinking of and which I think David
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00jg6yx
If You want another taste of 1990 or so, R4Extra recently replayed
Orphans in Waiting, by Wally K Daly. You're too late to hear the whole
series but the closing episode is available until midnight. It's an odd
thing, young adult drama I suppose, first broadcast on R5 in 1990.
I'm mentioning it here because one of the lead actors is one Judy Bennett,
playing Mike, who is I guess mid-teens at most. It's at https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b007m6qr .

I find the chronology a little mind boggling.

Judy Bennett, b.1943
Shula, b.1958, appearing in TA since 1971
Mike, in teens in 1990
Penny
2020-08-05 22:32:50 UTC
On Wed, 5 Aug 2020 12:04:20 -0700 (PDT), tiny hadron <***@gmail.com>
scrawled in the dust...
Post by tiny hadron
Post by Dumrat
I was wrong, but the one I am thinking of and which I think David
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00jg6yx
If You want another taste of 1990 or so, R4Extra recently replayed
Orphans in Waiting, by Wally K Daly. You're too late to hear the whole
series but the closing episode is available until midnight. It's an odd
thing, young adult drama I suppose, first broadcast on R5 in 1990.
I'm mentioning it here because one of the lead actors is one Judy Bennett,
playing Mike, who is I guess mid-teens at most. It's at https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b007m6qr .
I find the chronology a little mind boggling.
Judy Bennett, b.1943
Shula, b.1958, appearing in TA since 1971
Mike, in teens in 1990
I recall hearing here playing small boys in various dramas over the years.
I hadn't realised she was quite so old when she started speaking for Shula
Archer though.