Advice sought re Win 10
Mike Ruddock
2020-10-27 13:33:40 UTC
I have been running Win 7 for several years but it is now evident that
it is failing, probably riddled with bugs.
I will have to install Win 10. What is the best way to do this? Can I
just pay for a download and run it without any disruption to my
installed programs and files?

Advice Please.

Mike Ruddock
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2020-10-27 18:05:40 UTC
On Tue, 27 Oct 2020 at 13:33:40, Mike Ruddock
Post by Mike Ruddock
I have been running Win 7 for several years
ditto
Post by Mike Ruddock
but it is now evident that it is failing, probably riddled with bugs.
Don't think so here!
Post by Mike Ruddock
I will have to install Win 10. What is the best way to do this? Can I
just pay for a download and run it without any disruption to my
installed programs and files?
Advice Please.
Mike Ruddock
If you're determined to go 10 (and by the sound of it on the same
hardware), apparently it's still possible to get to 10 from a valid 7
without having to pay for it - that's been covered at length in
alt.windows7.general. (Not sure the latest W10 download will still fit
on a single single-layer DVD, but you can get one that does - less than
a year ago, I think - and then leave it to upgrade itself.) And the
upgrade process _should_ leave your existing things alone - _if_ they'll
work under 10 anyway; I gather it removes the ones that won't. (Whether
that's _removing_ only the ones Microsoft know _won't_ work under 10
[which would be better], or _leaving_ only the ones they _do_ know will
work under 10, I'm not sure.)

Personally I keep all my data files on a D: partition.

Whether this is the _best_ way to upgrade, is open to endless argument.
Because it _might_ involve the least effort, I'd probably try it (after
making an image of my working 7 system so I could put it back!). Some
would say a clean install is best; it probably is, but a lot of hard
work. Buying a machine (not necessarily new) with 10 already on might
also be worth it (you could at least then transfer slowly); depends on
your budget (and space if we're not talking laptops).

If thinking of keeping the same hardware, make _sure_ _beforehand_ that
W10 drivers for all of it - video "card", wireless hardware, sound
hardware, and so on (especially anything unusual, such as a video
capture card, any funny disc array, etc. - as well as printers and
especially scanners if you want to keep using them) - exist _and you can
get them_. When I tried on this laptop, it used the W10 generic driver
for the video - which worked, but did _not_ have the correct resolution
for the screen - 1366×768 - which in consequence looked awful. (And I
couldn't find a specific driver.)

Mike Jackson |\ _,,,---,,_
and Squeak /,`.-'`' -. ;-;;,_ Shame there's no snooze button
[1998] |,4- ) )-,_..;\ ( `'- on a cat who wants breakfast
zzz '---''(_/--' `-'\_)
Joe Kerr
2020-10-27 22:24:49 UTC
Post by Mike Ruddock
I have been running Win 7 for several years but it is now evident that
it is failing, probably riddled with bugs.
I will have to install Win 10. What is the best way to do this? Can I
just pay for a download and run it without any disruption to my
installed programs and files?
Advice Please.
Mike Ruddock
I would check the specification for hardware. I have occasional use of a
Win 10 machine that was upgraded from 7. It is incredibly slow - we're
talking about a sloth running through treacle here. I suspect that the
hardware isn't up to the job, but there could be other reasons. One day
I'll find time to take a look (and sort out the other problems stemming
from the upgrade).
Ric
Kate B
2020-10-27 23:16:32 UTC
Post by Mike Ruddock
I have been running Win 7 for several years but it is now evident that
it is failing, probably riddled with bugs.
I will have to install Win 10. What is the best way to do this? Can I
just pay for a download and run it without any disruption to my
installed programs and files?
Advice Please.
I upgraded my husband's machine at the beginning of the year from win7
to win10 without any problems whatsoever. It found all the right drivers
all by itself and the machine is actually running much faster than it
did before.

And it is still free

https://www.zdnet.com/article/heres-how-you-can-still-get-a-free-windows-10-upgrade/
2020-10-28 10:47:46 UTC
Post by Mike Ruddock
I have been running Win 7 for several years but it is now evident that
it is failing, probably riddled with bugs.
I will have to install Win 10. What is the best way to do this? Can I
just pay for a download and run it without any disruption to my
installed programs and files?
That should be possible but, if Win 7 is misbehaving, it may be better
to bite the bullet and do a clean install of Win 10. If you don't do
this, you may find that the problems you've had with Win 7 are still
there in Win 10.

Before you do this though, you need to be sure that you will be able to
reinstall all your programs, after you've installed Win 10. If there's
stuff you want to keep which you don't have an installation file for and
which is no longer available for download (or which would be
unreasonably expensive to buy a new license for), you may want to
upgrade to Win 10 and only do the clean install if you really need to.

Either way, don't forget to make sure that you've backed everything up
first, just in case!
No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the
continent, a part of the main. (John Donne)
Sam Plusnet
2020-10-28 21:11:08 UTC
Post by Mike Ruddock
[...]
Further, it's worth spending the time to list all the applications you
have on that machine.

It should be possible to check each application (include the version
number) to see if it will work on Win 10 - there are a few which will not.

Are there any you no longer use? Getting rid of them will simplify
matters.
Steve Hague
2020-10-28 13:23:17 UTC
Post by Mike Ruddock
I have been running Win 7 for several years but it is now evident that
it is failing, probably riddled with bugs.
I will have to install Win 10. What is the best way to do this? Can I
just pay for a download and run it without any disruption to my
installed programs and files?
Advice Please.
Mike Ruddock
I had no trouble installing Windows 10 on my home PC which was running
7. However, my work PC didn't want to know, also 7. 10 would begin to
install, but after a few minutes an error message would come up, not
always the same one. I sought advice from Microsoft and when that didn't
work, various forums. No progress. I ended up buying a refurbished PC
with 10 already present.
2020-10-28 13:35:47 UTC
Post by Steve Hague
Post by Mike Ruddock
I have been running Win 7 for several years but it is now evident that
it is failing, probably riddled with bugs.
I will have to install Win 10. What is the best way to do this? Can I
just pay for a download and run it without any disruption to my
installed programs and files?
Advice Please.
Mike Ruddock
I had no trouble installing Windows 10 on my home PC which was running
7. However, my work PC didn't want to know, also 7. 10 would begin to
install, but after a few minutes an error message would come up, not
always the same one. I sought advice from Microsoft and when that didn't
work, various forums. No progress. I ended up buying a refurbished PC
with 10 already present.
Steve
I did the upgrade some time ago (in the initial free period) and it
worked well. There were a couple of features which did not work as
advertised (Win + V being one).

I eventually decided that at 7 years old the hardware was getting long
in the tooth and bought a PC with no operating system but moving the SSD
from one to the other or doing a transfer it seemed to stumble so when I
saw a copy of Win 10 Pro for £40 I undertook a clean install on the bare
metal. A long time later all the other software that I needed was
installed and it has been working well for some months now.
2020-10-28 13:51:19 UTC
Post by Steve Hague
Post by Mike Ruddock
[...]
Oh woh ther! Are you trying to temp fate????!!!
2020-10-28 14:09:17 UTC
Post by Mike McMillan
Post by krw
Post by Steve Hague
Post by Mike Ruddock
[...]
I used to have to tell the good lady wife when in the car not to talk
about its replacement as it would inevitably fail. This was based on
the problems we used to encounter at work every time we started talking
about replacing the main computer - it would instantly prove it needed
replacing by going sick.

OTOH saying that it is working well (reaches under desk and pats it)
will keep it doing the job. And I only back it up three times a week.
Which reminds me.
I've never needed to backup my sys<NO CARRIER>
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2020-10-28 15:57:17 UTC
On Wed, 28 Oct 2020 at 13:35:47, krw <***@whitnet.uk> wrote:
I did the upgrade some time ago (in the initial free period) and it
worked well. There were a couple of features which did not work as
advertised (Win + V being one).
[]
I'm on 7,and just tried Win + V, and nothing obvious happened - what
does (did, in your case) it do?

Don't play "stupid" with me... I'm better at it.
krw
2020-10-28 16:31:05 UTC
I did the upgrade some time ago (in the initial free period) and it
worked well.  There were a couple of features which did not work as
advertised (Win + V being one).
[]
I'm on 7,and just tried Win + V, and nothing obvious happened - what
does (did, in your case) it do?
On this machine it works - proper clipboard functionality.
2020-10-28 17:05:11 UTC
I did the upgrade some time ago (in the initial free period) and it
worked well.  There were a couple of features which did not work as
advertised (Win + V being one).
[]
I'm on 7,and just tried Win + V, and nothing obvious happened - what
does (did, in your case) it do?
On this machine it works - proper clipboard functionality.
Ctrl+V I know; how does Win+V differ? (Just tried it again - didn't seem
to do anything. Ctrl-V works [if there's anything _on_ the clipboard of
course].)

"Usenet is a way of being annoyed by people you otherwise never would have
met."
- John J. Kinyon
the Omrud
2020-10-28 17:54:06 UTC
I did the upgrade some time ago (in the initial free period) and it
worked well.  There were a couple of features which did not work as
advertised (Win + V being one).
[]
I'm on 7,and just tried Win + V, and nothing obvious happened - what
does (did, in your case) it do?
On this machine it works - proper clipboard functionality.
Ctrl+V I know; how does Win+V differ? (Just tried it again - didn't seem
to do anything. Ctrl-V works [if there's anything _on_ the clipboard of
course].)
Came in with Version 1809, but you have to enable it.

https://www.howtogeek.com/671222/how-to-enable-and-use-clipboard-history-on-windows-10/
David
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2020-10-28 18:13:41 UTC
Post by the Omrud
I did the upgrade some time ago (in the initial free period) and
it worked well.  There were a couple of features which did not
work as advertised (Win + V being one).
[]
I'm on 7,and just tried Win + V, and nothing obvious happened -
what does (did, in your case) it do?
On this machine it works - proper clipboard functionality.
Ctrl+V I know; how does Win+V differ? (Just tried it again - didn't
seem to do anything. Ctrl-V works [if there's anything _on_ the
clipboard of course].)
Came in with Version 1809, but you have to enable it.
https://www.howtogeek.com/671222/how-to-enable-and-use-clipboard-history
-on-windows-10/
Ah, now I understand. When you said "I did the upgrade ... and it worked
well.  There were a couple of features which did not work as advertised
(Win + V being one).", I assumed you meant that was something that had
worked in 7 and was now not working in 10. I see now (from the above
page) that it's "clipboard history", and "first appeared in Windows
10’s October 2018 Update (Version 1809)", i. e. never was part of 7.
(I've used various third-party tools - the one I currently have is
called MultiClipboardSlots - to achieve the same or similar results
[some are e. g. text-only], though to be honest rarely remember I've got
them.)

But this can only happen if we replace the urge to blame with the urge to
learn so that it is safe for staff to admit errors and raise concerns without
the fear of being punished.
- Former MI5 boss Eliza Manningham-Buller, RT 2016/5/7-13
Penny
2020-10-29 10:06:44 UTC
On Wed, 28 Oct 2020 17:54:06 +0000, the Omrud <***@gmail.com>
scrawled in the dust...
Post by the Omrud
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
Ctrl+V I know; how does Win+V differ? (Just tried it again - didn't seem
to do anything. Ctrl-V works [if there's anything _on_ the clipboard of
course].)
Came in with Version 1809, but you have to enable it.
https://www.howtogeek.com/671222/how-to-enable-and-use-clipboard-history-on-windows-10/
Although I recall reading about this before and thinking it could be
useful, I was surprised to find it was already enabled on my PC - I just
didn't know how to access it.

I was amused to read, lower down that page
"Here are instructions for those running a build prior to 1909"
which I read as a year, rather than a build number. I must say I prefer
that version with easy to spot and understand 'Clear all' X and map pin
icons rather than the wretched 3 dots.
Nick Leverton
2020-10-29 10:23:32 UTC
Post by the Omrud
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
Ctrl+V I know; how does Win+V differ? (Just tried it again - didn't seem
to do anything. Ctrl-V works [if there's anything _on_ the clipboard of
course].)
Came in with Version 1809, but you have to enable it.
https://www.howtogeek.com/671222/how-to-enable-and-use-clipboard-history-on-windows-10/
Although I recall reading about this before and thinking it could be
useful, I was surprised to find it was already enabled on my PC - I just
didn't know how to access it.
I was amused to read, lower down that page
"Here are instructions for those running a build prior to 1909"
which I read as a year, rather than a build number. I must say I prefer
that version with easy to spot and understand 'Clear all' X and map pin
icons rather than the wretched 3 dots.
Interesting, thanks both. I'v been installing ClipX,
<http://bluemars.org/clipx/> when I have to use Windows, to get this
functionality which has been standard on other desktops for many years.

I think I still prefer ClipX because of the clear-to-see clipboard icon
in the system tray for reviewing and choosing entries, rather than having
to remember yet another overloaded control-alt-whatever key combination
as the Win+V version requires.

2020-10-29 11:11:51 UTC
Post by the Omrud
I did the upgrade some time ago (in the initial free period) and it
worked well.  There were a couple of features which did not work as
advertised (Win + V being one).
[]
I'm on 7,and just tried Win + V, and nothing obvious happened - what
does (did, in your case) it do?
On this machine it works - proper clipboard functionality.
Ctrl+V I know; how does Win+V differ? (Just tried it again - didn't
seem to do anything. Ctrl-V works [if there's anything _on_ the
clipboard of course].)
Came in with Version 1809, but you have to enable it.
https://www.howtogeek.com/671222/how-to-enable-and-use-clipboard-history-on-windows-10/
Yes I went through all that on the upgraded machine but it never worked.
However a 7 year old machine is at the wrong end of the reliability
curve. Having previously lost hard drives and in one case the power
supply needing an emergency purchase from PC World (or possibly Currys)
of something which did the job but was not what I would have liked
buying a brand new machine and doing a completely clean install was
probably worth the time (and the one phone call to Support to understand
what I needed to do - they probably thought I was an idiot but were
still very helpful).
2020-10-29 11:49:09 UTC
Post by the Omrud
Came in with Version 1809, but you have to enable it.
https://www.howtogeek.com/671222/how-to-enable-and-use-clipboard-history-on-windows-10/
Thanks, that looks useful
You can't stay in your corner of the Forest waiting for others to come
to you. You have to go to them sometimes. (A.A. Milne)
Philip Hole
2020-10-28 16:20:18 UTC
Post by Mike Ruddock
I have been running Win 7 for several years but it is now evident that
it is failing, probably riddled with bugs.
I will have to install Win 10. What is the best way to do this? Can I
just pay for a download and run it without any disruption to my
installed programs and files?
Advice Please.
Mike Ruddock
Win10 usually installs painlessly.

Once installed it should do a good job of cleaning up your system. It is
far,far better than previous versions at self-heal.

BUT - some programs* do not do well with Win10 (especially add-ons which
now have to be authenticated to operate).

If you have any non-standard prorams it would be worth googling them
with Win10 to check on compatibility.

The two main tasks before launch are 1) Belarc.com to get a full list of
your programs and OS (including product codes). 2) Run AV, malware
(Malwarebytes?) and cleaners (Ccleaner?). If possible, also defrag your
C: disk. You want as lean a system as possible. It may help if you can
delete unwanted data and programs.

* webcams, printers and games have been known to suffer.
--
Flop