Groceries
2018-07-22 11:43:06 UTC
Underwoods can’t be the only supermarket near Ambridge and supermarkets as
part of department stores are a phenomnun I knew only in Hull. Are their
any known to umra, apart from Harrods, Fortnums and the like?

I tolerate huge stores less and less nowadays. Aiaou?
Vicky Ayech
2018-07-22 12:20:18 UTC
Underwoods can’t be the only supermarket near Ambridge and supermarkets as
part of department stores are a phenomnun I knew only in Hull. Are their
any known to umra, apart from Harrods, Fortnums and the like?
I tolerate huge stores less and less nowadays. Aiaou?
Both Tescos and Asda are really stores with a supermarket. The local
John Lewis in Watford has a Waitrose in it.
Penny
2018-07-22 12:42:55 UTC
On Sun, 22 Jul 2018 13:20:18 +0100, Vicky Ayech <***@gmail.com>
Underwoods can’t be the only supermarket near Ambridge and supermarkets as
part of department stores are a phenomnun I knew only in Hull. Are their
any known to umra, apart from Harrods, Fortnums and the like?
I tolerate huge stores less and less nowadays. Aiaou?
Both Tescos and Asda are really stores with a supermarket. The local
John Lewis in Watford has a Waitrose in it.
In my childhood Watford had a couple of big department stores, long since
gone. We were sometimes treated to posh tea and cake in one of them. No
idea if either sold groceries, we always bought those in the village where
the first 'supermarket', Budgens, opened in the early '60s and tempted my
mother away from the Co-op grocers but not from their butchers or
greengrocers.
2018-07-22 13:42:09 UTC
Underwoods can’t be the only supermarket near Ambridge and supermarkets as
part of department stores are a phenomnun I knew only in Hull. Are their
any known to umra, apart from Harrods, Fortnums and the like?
None of the department stores here in Oxford have ever had supermarkets.

There used to be three department stores. Now we have Debenhams, which
has no real departments but lots of concessions, and the very wonderful
Boswells which is a proper department store but doesn't have clothing
any more. It has an excellent household department, very good luggage
and a really really good cafe. You can order online and local orders
used to be delivered by a chap on a bike but I don't think they do that
any more. They are celebrating their 250th anniversary this year.

In Switzerland we have noticed that it is quite common for department
stores to incorporate supermarkets.
Post by Btms
I tolerate huge stores less and less nowadays. Aiaou?
I find the organisation into concessions very irritating. Selfridges
used to be fun to visit but not any more. As for Harrods, on my last
visit I felt I had wandered into some strange new world. A whole
department selling tea trolleys? I had quite a long chat with the woman
in the chandelier department where the cheapest was £50k. There is a
nice little art gallery tucked away in the middle of it all, though.
2018-07-22 17:05:36 UTC
Post by LFS
[...]
The Watford John Lewis is still a department store and with the little
supermarket inside it. One thing annoys me about it is charging for a
bag after you buy clothes or shoes. Also charging to order online and
collect in store!
Peter Percival
2018-07-30 17:05:23 UTC
The Watford John Lewis is still a department store and with the little
supermarket inside it
Is it big enough to be called a supermarket?
Post by Vicky Ayech
. One thing annoys me about it is charging for a
bag after you buy clothes or shoes
Fulfilling a legal requirement.
collect in store!
Vicky Ayech
collect in store!
Peter Percival
2018-07-30 21:45:29 UTC
Post by Peter Percival
Post by Vicky Ayech
The Watford John Lewis is still a department store and with the little
supermarket inside it
Is it big enough to be called a supermarket?
A small one.
There is a wet fish shop in Watford that calls itself a seafood
supermarket. It is considerably smaller than some corner shops.
collect in store!
Mike
RC Mitchell
2018-07-31 08:12:39 UTC
Post by Vicky Ayech
Post by Vicky Ayech
. Also charging to order online and
collect in store!
Scaled down?
Only on the fish counter.

Rosàlainn nic Theàrach
RC Mitchell
2018-07-30 18:04:25 UTC
Post by LFS
Post by Btms
Underwoods can’t be the only supermarket near Ambridge and supermarkets as
part of department stores are a phenomnun I knew only in Hull. Are their
any known to umra, apart from Harrods, Fortnums and the like?
None of the department stores here in Oxford have ever had supermarkets.
Some did, some didn't. It would be called a Food Hall rather than a
supermarket though, wouldn't it? I'm sure there have been many
references to Underwoods Food Hall down the years.

The now-defunct Lewis's (no relation to John Lewis) in Liverpool had a
big food hall in the Basement. Welwyn Stores, where in the 1960s you
could hang out in the record department on a Saturday and eventually
meet all your friends, had a food hall; it also spawned the original 1950s
Fine Fare, which became a supermarket chain, in a separate building.
Post by Vicky Ayech
Post by LFS
Post by Btms
I tolerate huge stores less and less nowadays. Aiaou?
Department stores used to be places you could get anything you
needed. Now most of them just host expensive fashion franchises. So
no. YANAOU.
Post by Vicky Ayech
The Watford John Lewis is still a department store and with the little
supermarket inside it. One thing annoys me about it is charging for a
bag after you buy clothes or shoes. Also charging to order online and
collect in store!
Would that be what used to be Blundells in the High Street back in the
60s? ISTR Blundells had a food hall, with an impressive cheese counter
IIRR.

Does Watford High Street still have that slightly absurd Toytown bridge
over the middle of it?

Rosàlainn nic Theàrlach
Vicky Ayech
2018-07-30 20:47:01 UTC
On Mon, 30 Jul 2018 19:04:25 +0100, RC Mitchell
Post by RC Mitchell
Does Watford High Street still have that slightly absurd Toytown bridge
over the middle of it?
There is a flyover bridge. They moved the indoor market to underneath
it. It's cold in winter and depressing. The traders are not keen
either.
Chris J Dixon
2018-08-13 14:00:16 UTC
Post by RC Mitchell
The now-defunct Lewis's (no relation to John Lewis) in Liverpool had a
big food hall in the Basement.
I remember the equivalent store in Leeds, but their basement
seemed to be homewares, and there was usually someone
demonstrating some gadget or other.

Their Christmas windows usually included some sort of animated
toy display.

***@cdixon.me.uk
Plant amazing Acers.
Flop
2018-07-22 16:47:50 UTC
Underwoods can’t be the only supermarket near Ambridge and supermarkets as
part of department stores are a phenomnun I knew only in Hull. Are their
any known to umra, apart from Harrods, Fortnums and the like?
I tolerate huge stores less and less nowadays. Aiaou?
M&S has a large food store within its clothing store [also large] in
Reading.
--
Flop

“I needed a password eight characters long so I picked Snow White and
the Seven Dwarves.”
Mike
2018-07-22 17:26:02 UTC
Post by Flop
Post by Btms
Underwoods can’t be the only supermarket near Ambridge and supermarkets as
part of department stores are a phenomnun I knew only in Hull. Are their
any known to umra, apart from Harrods, Fortnums and the like?
I tolerate huge stores less and less nowadays. Aiaou?
M&S has a large food store within its clothing store [also large] in
Reading.
ITYMM ‘Food Hall’, they also have a food only ‘Sales Outlet’ on Reading
Station concourse.
Clive Arthur
2018-07-22 18:28:21 UTC
Post by Flop
Post by Btms
Underwoods can’t be the only supermarket near Ambridge and supermarkets as
part of department stores are a phenomnun I knew only in Hull. Are their
any known to umra, apart from Harrods, Fortnums and the like?
I tolerate huge stores less and less nowadays. Aiaou?
M&S has a large food store within its clothing store [also large] in
Reading.
ITYMM ‘Food Hall’, they also have a food only ‘Sales Outlet’ on Reading
Station concourse.
And food only up Shepherd's Hill, and up by Asda in Lower Earley, and
Reading services on the M4. Small one in the garage by the Tuns,
probably loads of others.

Has M&S said 'kinckers to knickers'? ITWSBT.

Cheers
Clive
Chris McMillan
2018-07-23 15:29:12 UTC
Post by Clive Arthur
Post by Mike
Post by Flop
Post by Btms
Underwoods can’t be the only supermarket near Ambridge and supermarkets as
part of department stores are a phenomnun I knew only in Hull. Are their
any known to umra, apart from Harrods, Fortnums and the like?
I tolerate huge stores less and less nowadays. Aiaou?
M&S has a large food store within its clothing store [also large] in
Reading.
ITYMM ‘Food Hall’, they also have a food only ‘Sales Outlet’ on Reading
Station concourse.
And food only up Shepherd's Hill, and up by Asda in Lower Earley, and
Reading services on the M4. Small one in the garage by the Tuns,
probably loads of others.
Has M&S said 'kinckers to knickers'? ITWSBT.
Cheers
LOL, Clo)ive.

Don’t rate their coffee at Shepherd’s Hill, don’t buy their food either.
Unfortunately two if our close neighbours do both and sometimes invite me
to join them. Churlish not to, nice to see how the other half live -
without using shoe leather.

2018-07-23 17:47:21 UTC
Post by Clive Arthur
Post by Mike
Post by Flop
Post by Btms
[...]
Sincerely Chris
Agree with all that. But there are a number of coffees I won’t touch which
are not M&S
2018-07-23 21:10:05 UTC
Post by Clive Arthur
Post by Mike
Post by Flop
Post by Btms
[...]
Unless they do a single shot choice, it’s a waste of money. Much prefer
the old instant coffees,

2018-07-24 07:46:20 UTC
Post by Clive Arthur
Post by Mike
Post by Flop
Post by Btms
[...]
Too much caffeine in some. Tastes bitter and makes me nauseous.
2018-07-22 17:33:49 UTC
Post by Flop
Post by Btms
Underwoods can’t be the only supermarket near Ambridge and supermarkets as
part of department stores are a phenomnun I knew only in Hull. Are their
any known to umra, apart from Harrods, Fortnums and the like?
I tolerate huge stores less and less nowadays. Aiaou?
M&S has a large food store within its clothing store [also large] in
Reading.
I don’t see M&S as a Dept store! I suppose it is but it looks like a posh
supermarket to me 🤓
Some big branches have furniture and homeware.
Sid Nuncius
2018-07-23 06:31:36 UTC
a phenomnun I knew only in Hull. Are their
There used to be a phenomnun in Shepherds Bush but she hasn't been seen
for years. <sigh> The campanile is a deserted, ivy-mantled tower nowadays.
2018-07-23 08:10:00 UTC
a phenomnun I knew only in Hull. Are their
There used to be a phenomnun in Shepherds Bush but she hasn't been seen
for years. <sigh> The campanile is a deserted, ivy-mantled tower nowadays.
Sadly missed in these parts.
2018-07-23 10:00:32 UTC
a phenomnun I knew only in Hull. Are their
There used to be a phenomnun in Shepherds Bush but she hasn't been seen
for years. <sigh> The campanile is a deserted, ivy-mantled tower nowadays.
Kicked the habit?