Ambridge Chronology
2019-01-20 11:45:00 UTC
I was looking at a chronology and wondered when I started listening.

<https://dumteedum.com/chronology/>

I can't place Paul Johnson and I remember the Aldridge/Tregorran
history. Can anyrat remember something that happened in 1979?
Penny
2019-01-20 11:57:35 UTC
On Sun, 20 Jan 2019 11:45:00 +0000, DavidK <***@invalid.invalid>
scrawled in the dust...
Post by DavidK
I was looking at a chronology and wondered when I started listening.
<https://dumteedum.com/chronology/>
I can't place Paul Johnson and I remember the Aldridge/Tregorran
history. Can anyrat remember something that happened in 1979?
Helen was born in mid April.
I remember this because I missed it as I was in hospital for the birth of
d#1 with no access to radio 4 at the time - that was a very long 10 days.
2019-01-20 12:39:30 UTC
Post by DavidK
I was looking at a chronology and wondered when I started listening.
<https://dumteedum.com/chronology/>
I can't place Paul Johnson and I remember the Aldridge/Tregorran
history. Can anyrat remember something that happened in 1979?
According to The Archers Archives (by Simon Frith & Chris Arnot):
- Shula spent most of the year travelling, to Bangkok for example
- Caroline Bone began working at Grey Gables, after a couple of years as
a barmaid in The Bull
- Eddie got engaged to Dolly Treadgold, then called it off, they made it
up, but Eddie bottled out the day before the wedding
- David gave up the idea of going to university, after failing his maths
A level, and started at agricultural college
- Phil bought 30 acres from Meadow Farm, confident that there would be
another generation to carry on

I know I started listening properly in late 78/early 79 (when I was
living in a flat without a television), but I can't say that I remember
any of that.
Post by Penny
Helen was born in mid April.
I remember this because I missed it as I was in hospital for the birth of
d#1 with no access to radio 4 at the time - that was a very long 10 days.
I do remember that. I remember that she was born with a dislocated hip
and was in plaster for some time. The Archers Encyclopaedia (compiled by
Joanna Toye & Adrian Flynn) confirms that she was in a splint for 3
months after a breech birth caused the dislocation.
Rosalind Mitchell
2019-01-20 13:21:27 UTC
- Shula spent most of the year travelling, to Bangkok for example
So it was only some time later she was comfortable staying in Ambridge
to bang... Oh, I see...

Rosie
BrritSki
2019-01-20 13:23:06 UTC
BTN (but I suspect MV) :)
Sid Nuncius
2019-01-20 19:18:49 UTC
Post by Rosalind Mitchell
Post by carolet
- Shula spent most of the year travelling, to Bangkok for example
So it was only some time later she was comfortable staying in Ambridge
to bang... Oh, I see...
BTN (but I suspect MV)   :)
Your suspicion is correct. A fine example, though.
2019-01-20 13:46:40 UTC
Post by DavidK
I was looking at a chronology and wondered when I started listening.
<https://dumteedum.com/chronology/>
I can't place Paul Johnson and I remember the Aldridge/Tregorran
history. Can anyrat remember something that happened in 1979?
- Shula spent most of the year travelling, to Bangkok for example
- Caroline Bone began working at Grey Gables, after a couple of years as
a barmaid in The Bull
- Eddie got engaged to Dolly Treadgold, then called it off, they made it
up, but Eddie bottled out the day before the wedding
- David gave up the idea of going to university, after failing his maths
A level, and started at agricultural college
- Phil bought 30 acres from Meadow Farm, confident that there would be
another generation to carry on
I don't remember any of those either, maybe I hadn't started listening.

I'm struggling to remember the birth of any children in Ambridge.
Serena Blanchflower
2019-01-20 13:58:28 UTC
- Shula spent most of the year travelling, to Bangkok for example
- Caroline Bone began working at Grey Gables, after a couple of years as
a barmaid in The Bull
- Eddie got engaged to Dolly Treadgold, then called it off, they made it
up, but Eddie bottled out the day before the wedding
- David gave up the idea of going to university, after failing his maths
A level, and started at agricultural college
- Phil bought 30 acres from Meadow Farm, confident that there would be
another generation to carry on
I remember Shula's time away travelling, and Phil's horror when he
realised that he hadn't been asked to pay a singles' supplement for her!
Jill then reassured him that Shula was going to be sharing with
another girl.

I'm not sure I could really have been described as listening to TA in
those days but I did routinely hear it throughout the 70s (and, quite
probably, the 60s). My mother was a regular listener and it was on when
she was preparing supper and, as I was generally helping her, I was
immersed in it from an early age.
My friend drowned in a bowl of muesli - he was pulled in by a strong
current.
Penny
2019-01-20 14:29:30 UTC
On Sun, 20 Jan 2019 13:58:28 +0000, Serena Blanchflower
- Shula spent most of the year travelling, to Bangkok for example
- Caroline Bone began working at Grey Gables, after a couple of years as
a barmaid in The Bull
- Eddie got engaged to Dolly Treadgold, then called it off, they made it
up, but Eddie bottled out the day before the wedding
- David gave up the idea of going to university, after failing his maths
A level, and started at agricultural college
- Phil bought 30 acres from Meadow Farm, confident that there would be
another generation to carry on
I remember Shula's time away travelling, and Phil's horror when he
realised that he hadn't been asked to pay a singles' supplement for her!
Jill then reassured him that Shula was going to be sharing with
another girl.
It's odd that I don't recall that at all.
Post by Serena Blanchflower
I'm not sure I could really have been described as listening to TA in
those days but I did routinely hear it throughout the 70s (and, quite
probably, the 60s). My mother was a regular listener and it was on when
she was preparing supper and, as I was generally helping her, I was
immersed in it from an early age.
We listened, as a family, during supper. In fact I think supper time
changed to 7 with TA which was previously broadcast at 6:45. That was a
time when hearing Barwick Green produced a salivary response.
I think I've listened since the late '50s.
2019-01-20 15:00:33 UTC
On Sun, 20 Jan 2019 13:58:28 +0000, Serena Blanchflower
- Shula spent most of the year travelling, to Bangkok for example
- Caroline Bone began working at Grey Gables, after a couple of years as
a barmaid in The Bull
- Eddie got engaged to Dolly Treadgold, then called it off, they made it
up, but Eddie bottled out the day before the wedding
- David gave up the idea of going to university, after failing his maths
A level, and started at agricultural college
- Phil bought 30 acres from Meadow Farm, confident that there would be
another generation to carry on
I remember Shula's time away travelling, and Phil's horror when he
realised that he hadn't been asked to pay a singles' supplement for her!
Jill then reassured him that Shula was going to be sharing with
another girl.
It's odd that I don't recall that at all.
I think I was probably more interested in Shula's stories, because
Shula's only about a year younger than I am, so I could relate to her
more easily than some of the other characters.
I'm not sure I could really have been described as listening to TA in
those days but I did routinely hear it throughout the 70s (and, quite
probably, the 60s). My mother was a regular listener and it was on when
she was preparing supper and, as I was generally helping her, I was
immersed in it from an early age.
We listened, as a family, during supper. In fact I think supper time
changed to 7 with TA which was previously broadcast at 6:45. That was a
time when hearing Barwick Green produced a salivary response.
I think I've listened since the late '50s.
We generally ate at 7:30.
When the white missionaries came to Africa they had the Bible and we had
the land. They said 'Let us pray.' We closed our eyes. When we opened
them we had the Bible and they had the land. (Desmond Tutu)
LFS
2019-01-20 14:54:59 UTC
[...]
My mother refused to have it on so I don't think I could have started
listening until after I was married. I know I was well into it by April
1976 because a couple of days after Son was born I was listening in my
hospital bed when something notable must have happened as the woman in
the bed opposite and I both reacted at the same moment and then realised
we were both listening. She became a very dear friend and we often
discussed it.
2019-01-20 15:04:39 UTC
Post by LFS
[...]
I recall hearing BG from the mid-fifties - if not always at home, often in
a farmhouse kitchen but, I don’t recall plotlines as such. Mine dew, I
recall the voices of the early days my old pal me old beauty.
2019-01-20 16:17:22 UTC
On Sun, 20 Jan 2019 15:04:39 GMT, Mike <***@ntlworld.com> scrawled
in the dust...
Post by Mike
Post by LFS
[...]
I think I had to listen so I could understand who everyone was and what was
going on - otherwise I got told off for asking questions during the
programme thus interrupting everyone else's listening.

I remember thinking Tony (a year older than I) was very silly to be using a
plastic bag on his head when playing spaceman - I was well aware this was a
dangerous thing to do. I suppose that was a 'public information' addition
to the plot.
2019-01-20 17:46:45 UTC
- Phil bought 30 acres from Meadow Farm, confident that there would be
another generation to carry on
memo to self ... I wonder if there is a history of Brookfield Farm;
there are ghosts of farms that it has enveloped and eaten scattered
across the map.
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2019-01-20 18:52:23 UTC
Post by DavidK
I was looking at a chronology and wondered when I started listening.
<https://dumteedum.com/chronology/>
I can't place Paul Johnson and I remember the Aldridge/Tregorran
history. Can anyrat remember something that happened in 1979?
I left school and went into industry ... Oh. as you were.
- Eddie got engaged to Dolly Treadgold, then called it off, they made
it up, but Eddie bottled out the day before the wedding
Oh, so the Tom/Kirsty (have I got the right two people?) thing wasn't
completely new then, just a bit closer to the time.

(Do we ever hear of Dolly these days? If we do, what's Clarrie's
attitude to her? My [holey] memory can't remember ever hearing Dolly.)
I know I started listening properly in late 78/early 79 (when I was
living in a flat without a television), but I can't say that I remember
any of that.
Somewhere before 1985 (according to my UMRA geek code .sig, anyway - I
can't remember!) for me.

Never. For me, there has to be a meaning. There's not much meaning in eating
bugs. - Darcey Bussell (on whether she'd appear on /I'm a Celebrity/), in RT
2015/11/28-12/4
carolet
2019-01-21 13:01:54 UTC
.
.
.
- Eddie got engaged to Dolly Treadgold, then called it off, they made
it up, but Eddie bottled out the day before the wedding
Oh, so the Tom/Kirsty (have I got the right two people?) thing wasn't
completely new then, just a bit closer to the time.
(Do we ever hear of Dolly these days? If we do, what's Clarrie's
attitude to her? My [holey] memory can't remember ever hearing Dolly.)
TAE doesn't list anyone that provided a voice for her, so it is likely
that listeners never heard her speak.

.
.
.
2019-01-20 13:29:36 UTC
Post by DavidK
I was looking at a chronology and wondered when I started listening.
<https://dumteedum.com/chronology/>
I can't place Paul Johnson and I remember the Aldridge/Tregorran
history. Can anyrat remember something that happened in 1979?
Helen was born in mid April.
I remember this because I missed it as I was in hospital for the birth of
d#1 with no access to radio 4 at the time - that was a very long 10 days.
I said I was off home after 5 days, 1973, 22 mothers and babies in the
ward. Too noisy. And Capt Ex was on leave and I didn't want to miss
his last weeks.

I don't remember the birth or Tregorran/Aldrich. I had been away at
sea some of the time for the 4 years before that. Jenny was married to
Brian when I began listening and I don't remember Kate or Alice being
born either. I remember Debbie having an unhappy affair and Elizabeth
too and Nigel in the monkey outfit climbing into Phil and Jill's bed.
What years were those?
Mike
2019-01-20 13:38:38 UTC
Post by DavidK
[...]
They were the ‘Golden Years’ before TV producers started mucking about with
TA.

(As was said at the time of decimalisation, ‘Why can’t they wait for all
the old people to die before introducing decimalisation?’)
2019-01-21 13:22:54 UTC
Post by DavidK
[...]
Looking at The Archers Archives, it would appear that Nigel first spoke
in 1983 (I think that we had heard of him before). After Mark announced
his engagement to Sarah Locke (when Shula thought that he might get back
together with her), she started going out with Nigel. It says that he
was Borsetshire's original Hooray Henry, filling in time selling
swimming pools when not swilling claret in the wine bar or engaging in
drunken pranks with his chum, Tim Beecham. Shula partnered him to a
fancy dress ball, with him dressed as a gorilla.

In 1984 Nigel took Shula to the Hunt Ball. Afterwards he stayed at
Brookfield, where he startled Phil and Jill by blundering into their
room at the dead of night, whispering "Tally Ho".
2019-01-21 19:35:30 UTC
ooking at The Archers Archives, it would appear that Nigel first spoke
in 1983 (I think that we had heard of him before). After Mark announced
his engagement to Sarah Locke (when Shula thought that he might get back
together with her), she started going out with Nigel. It says that he
was Borsetshire's original Hooray Henry, filling in time selling
swimming pools when not swilling claret in the wine bar or engaging in
drunken pranks with his chum, Tim Beecham. Shula partnered him to a
fancy dress ball, with him dressed as a gorilla.
And, don't forget his famous stint as Mr Snowy, when he had an ice cream
van.
Q. How does Moses make tea?
A. Hebrews it.
LFS
2019-01-20 12:34:21 UTC
Post by DavidK
I was looking at a chronology and wondered when I started listening.
<https://dumteedum.com/chronology/>
I can't place Paul Johnson and I remember the Aldridge/Tregorran
history. Can anyrat remember something that happened in 1979?
I like 1984: "HRH Princess Margaret arrives"
2019-01-20 12:45:38 UTC
Post by LFS
Post by DavidK
I was looking at a chronology and wondered when I started listening.
<https://dumteedum.com/chronology/>
I can't place Paul Johnson and I remember the Aldridge/Tregorran
history. Can anyrat remember something that happened in 1979?
I like 1984: "HRH Princess Margaret arrives"
I notice that babies are born already in possession of their married names
- is this convention now?
2019-01-20 13:06:01 UTC
Post by LFS
Post by DavidK
I was looking at a chronology and wondered when I started listening.
<https://dumteedum.com/chronology/>
I can't place Paul Johnson and I remember the Aldridge/Tregorran
history. Can anyrat remember something that happened in 1979?
I like 1984: "HRH Princess Margaret arrives"
I notice that babies are born already in possession of their married names
- is this convention now?
It isn't consistent on that. For example, 1967 - "Adam Macy born
Elizabeth Archer born". One child is listed by birth name, the other by
a name acquired later in life.
2019-01-20 13:53:20 UTC
Post by DavidK
I was looking at a chronology and wondered when I started listening.
<https://dumteedum.com/chronology/>
I can't place Paul Johnson and I remember the Aldridge/Tregorran
history. Can anyrat remember something that happened in 1979?
I vaguely remember that Helen was born with hip dysplasia and had a long
period in a cast, to correct it.
A man who trusts nobody is apt to be the kind of man nobody trusts
(Harold MacMillan)
SODAM
2019-01-21 19:19:30 UTC
Post by DavidK
I was looking at a chronology and wondered when I started listening.
<https://dumteedum.com/chronology/>
I can't place Paul Johnson and I remember the Aldridge/Tregorran
history. Can anyrat remember something that happened in 1979?
I vaguely remember that Helen was born with hip dysplasia and had a long
period in a cast, to correct it.
All Ambridge babies used to be born with a problem. Lizzie had a hole in
the heart, I think, and Christopher had a cleft palate. There was Daniel’s
juvenile arthritis. Were the Frillies premature, or was it Lizzie who took
poorly after they were born? Or both?Better than all the tedious shall I?
shouldn’t I? agonising of the mother-to-be on whether or not to abort:
Lizzie, Kathy, Ruth, Mike Tucker’s second wife Umbrella, Kirsty, Pip.
Abortion not available in Jenny’s day, or we may not have had Adam, whom I
used to like until this stupid baby plot line.
--
SODAM
The thinking umrat’s choice for editor
Chris McMillan
2019-01-22 09:38:55 UTC
Post by SODAM
Post by DavidK
I was looking at a chronology and wondered when I started listening.
<https://dumteedum.com/chronology/>
All Ambridge babies used to be born with a problem. Lizzie had a hole in
the heart, I think, and Christopher had a cleft palate. There was Daniel’s
juvenile arthritis. Were the Frillies premature, or was it Lizzie who took
poorly after they were born? Or both?Better than all the tedious shall I?
Lizzie, Kathy, Ruth, Mike Tucker’s second wife Umbrella,
Vicky, and daughter Bethany.

Sincerely Chris
SODAM
2019-01-22 13:11:50 UTC
Post by SODAM
All Ambridge babies used to be born with a problem. Lizzie had a hole in
the heart, I think, and Christopher had a cleft palate. There was Daniel’s
juvenile arthritis. Were the Frillies premature, or was it Lizzie who took
poorly after they were born? Or both?Better than all the tedious shall I?
Lizzie, Kathy, Ruth, Mike Tucker’s second wife Umbrella,
Vicky, and daughter Bethany.
Sincerely Chris
That’s the fella! Could remember Bethany but not her mother’s name. Bethany
had Down’s Syndrome, of course.

Does Ambridge have a sinister cluster of birth defects, caused by evil
rays? Whence do such rays originate? Susan Carter’s aura?
Mike
2019-01-22 14:24:19 UTC
Post by SODAM
Post by Chris McMillan
Post by SODAM
All Ambridge babies used to be born with a problem. Lizzie had a hole in
the heart, I think, and Christopher had a cleft palate. There was Daniel’s
juvenile arthritis. Were the Frillies premature, or was it Lizzie who took
poorly after they were born? Or both?Better than all the tedious shall I?
Lizzie, Kathy, Ruth, Mike Tucker’s second wife Umbrella,
Vicky, and daughter Bethany.
Sincerely Chris
That’s the fella! Could remember Bethany but not her mother’s name. Bethany
had Down’s Syndrome, of course.
Does Ambridge have a sinister cluster of birth defects, caused by evil
rays? Whence do such rays originate? Susan Carter’s aura?
.... and this week’s writer... John Wyndham...
2019-01-22 15:43:14 UTC
Post by SODAM
Post by Chris McMillan
Post by SODAM
All Ambridge babies used to be born with a problem. Lizzie had a hole in
the heart, I think, and Christopher had a cleft palate. There was Daniel’s
juvenile arthritis. Were the Frillies premature, or was it Lizzie who took
poorly after they were born? Or both?Better than all the tedious shall I?
Lizzie, Kathy, Ruth, Mike Tucker’s second wife Umbrella,
Vicky, and daughter Bethany.
Sincerely Chris
That’s the fella! Could remember Bethany but not her mother’s name. Bethany
had Down’s Syndrome, of course.
Does Ambridge have a sinister cluster of birth defects, caused by evil
rays? Whence do such rays originate? Susan Carter’s aura?
.... and this week’s writer... John Wyndham...
You beat me too it. Ambridge, twinned with Midwich ...

Hadrian's Wall has never been a border between Scotland and England. It lies
entirely within England but, when it was built in AD 122 by the Romans as a
defence against the raiding Picts, the future English were still in Germany
and the Scottish were still in Ireland.
- Michael Cullen, Skye, in RT 2014/12/6-12