I hope UMRA approves ...
2018-03-22 10:06:57 UTC
I've just added to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Archers - a little
under the section on the theme music (mainly the nickname "doom music"
and that many mourn its dropping), and a section on UMRA (under fan
clubs - OK, we may or may not be one of those, but it seemed
appropriate), which had not been mentioned at all.

If you don't like what I've written (or there are inaccuracies - I said
we started in 1995, as those are the earliest posts _I_ have, but I
don't have the actual date to hand), please feel free to edit what I've
put - that's the glory of Wikipedia, anyone can edit it. Or just add
more! (Though keep to the slightly academic tone - Wikipedia has
monitors who keep an eye on things.)

"Everyone is entitled to an *informed* opinion." - Harlan Ellison
Mike
2018-03-22 10:32:24 UTC
I've just added to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Archers - a little
under the section on the theme music (mainly the nickname "doom music"
and that many mourn its dropping), and a section on UMRA (under fan
clubs - OK, we may or may not be one of those, but it seemed
appropriate), which had not been mentioned at all.
If you don't like what I've written (or there are inaccuracies - I said
we started in 1995, as those are the earliest posts _I_ have, but I
don't have the actual date to hand), please feel free to edit what I've
put - that's the glory of Wikipedia, anyone can edit it. Or just add
more! (Though keep to the slightly academic tone - Wikipedia has
monitors who keep an eye on things.)
Karn’t see no additions not no how Jpeg, perhaps they delay additions until
approved or summat.
2018-03-22 11:01:03 UTC
I've just added to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Archers - a little
under the section on the theme music (mainly the nickname "doom music"
and that many mourn its dropping), and a section on UMRA (under fan
clubs - OK, we may or may not be one of those, but it seemed
appropriate), which had not been mentioned at all.
If you don't like what I've written (or there are inaccuracies - I said
we started in 1995, as those are the earliest posts _I_ have, but I
don't have the actual date to hand), please feel free to edit what I've
put - that's the glory of Wikipedia, anyone can edit it. Or just add
more! (Though keep to the slightly academic tone - Wikipedia has
monitors who keep an eye on things.)
Karn’t see no additions not no how Jpeg, perhaps they delay additions until
approved or summat.
The Doom Music section is still there, at
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Archers#Serious_events>, but the para
about umra has vanished - it was there when I looked, an hour or so ago.
When I feed the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why the poor have
no food, they call me a communist. (Dom Helder Camara)
carolet
2018-03-22 11:34:42 UTC
[...]
Looking at the revision history. It was edited at 10:18 (less than half
an hour after JPG's first edit) to "remove unsourced content".
the Omrud
2018-03-22 11:56:29 UTC
[...]
These days there is an army of self-appointed Wikipedia editors whose
role seems to be to monitor changes made by anybody they don't
explicitly approve of, and to reverse whatever edits those people may
have made.
David
Chris J Dixon
2018-03-22 12:55:00 UTC
Post by the Omrud
Post by carolet
Looking at the revision history. It was edited at 10:18 (less than half
an hour after JPG's first edit) to "remove unsourced content".
These days there is an army of self-appointed Wikipedia editors whose
role seems to be to monitor changes made by anybody they don't
explicitly approve of, and to reverse whatever edits those people may
have made.
If I understand the rules, you can't write anything just because
you know it to be so (I was tempted to dive into a railway
inaccuracy, but didn't really have any other sources).

I guess there are UMRA pages somewhere that could be cited?

***@cdixon.me.uk
Plant amazing Acers.
Nick Leverton
2018-03-22 13:16:57 UTC
Post by Chris J Dixon
Post by the Omrud
Post by carolet
Looking at the revision history. It was edited at 10:18 (less than half
an hour after JPG's first edit) to "remove unsourced content".
These days there is an army of self-appointed Wikipedia editors whose
role seems to be to monitor changes made by anybody they don't
explicitly approve of, and to reverse whatever edits those people may
have made.
If I understand the rules, you can't write anything just because
you know it to be so (I was tempted to dive into a railway
inaccuracy, but didn't really have any other sources).
I guess there are UMRA pages somewhere that could be cited?
I think we may need to have appeared in print at some point, or at least
in some other supposedly authoritative list of Archers related resources.
Postmodernism and self-referentiality don't seem to carry much weight with
Wiki people ...

Not all bad then ;)
krw
2018-03-22 15:15:57 UTC
Post by Nick Leverton
I think we may need to have appeared in print at some point, or at least
in some other supposedly authoritative list of Archers related resources.
At one point Keri did show us on the BBC website.
2018-03-22 14:00:22 UTC
Post by Chris J Dixon
Post by the Omrud
Post by carolet
Looking at the revision history. It was edited at 10:18 (less than half
an hour after JPG's first edit) to "remove unsourced content".
These days there is an army of self-appointed Wikipedia editors whose
role seems to be to monitor changes made by anybody they don't
explicitly approve of, and to reverse whatever edits those people may
have made.
If I understand the rules, you can't write anything just because
you know it to be so (I was tempted to dive into a railway
inaccuracy, but didn't really have any other sources).
I guess there are UMRA pages somewhere that could be cited?
Chris
There's a link to umra and a brief description on the BBC website at
the bottom of the page here...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006qpgr

I'm sure there's a mention in one of those paper-based publications too
but it's a tad difficult for me to browse through my own collection
right now.

Nick
the Omrud
2018-03-22 17:06:38 UTC
Post by Chris J Dixon
Post by the Omrud
Post by carolet
[...]
Surely a link to the Google Groups page should suffice?

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/uk.media.radio.archers

I've read the rules and I see that editors (that's everybody, not a
specific role) are required to assume good faith on the part of other
people who update pages, and not just delete stuff except when it's
plainly breaking the community rules. This peremptory reversal of JPG's
updates is just rude.
David
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2018-03-22 18:39:53 UTC
[...]
The doom music section was removed too. I've reinstated it, with some
sources this time. (One being an UMRAt's page.)

Never make the same mistake twice...there are so many new ones to make!
Btms
2018-03-22 19:12:06 UTC
[...]
Fwiw my MA dissertation on TA foregrounds umra and (what was the ) the
growing affect of the Internet on drama and especially TA. It must be
stored somewhere in the depths of Senate House Uni of London but I don’t
know how you reference it! Maybe our academic umrats know?
2018-03-23 15:04:58 UTC
[...]
I thought the nickname section was uneccessary, and why are there
apostrophes before group and within Saint?
BrritSki
2018-03-23 15:15:30 UTC
Post by DavidK
I thought the nickname section was uneccessary, and why are there
apostrophes before group and within Saint?
I thought that Shula was usually known as Sain't, so the apostrophe is
there, but in a different place, to make it clear that the name is ironic.
Jenny M Benson
2018-03-23 15:19:59 UTC
Post by DavidK
I thought the nickname section was uneccessary, and why are there
apostrophes before group and within Saint?
Because a Saint she ain't.
2018-03-22 18:35:41 UTC
I've just added to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Archers - a little
under the section on the theme music (mainly the nickname "doom music"
and that many mourn its dropping), and a section on UMRA (under fan
clubs - OK, we may or may not be one of those, but it seemed
appropriate), which had not been mentioned at all.
If you don't like what I've written (or there are inaccuracies - I said
we started in 1995, as those are the earliest posts _I_ have, but I
don't have the actual date to hand), please feel free to edit what I've
put - that's the glory of Wikipedia, anyone can edit it. Or just add
more! (Though keep to the slightly academic tone - Wikipedia has
monitors who keep an eye on things.)
Karn’t see no additions not no how Jpeg, perhaps they delay additions until
approved or summat.
Someone called Gareth Griffith-Jones had removed all I'd added,
ostensibly because it was "unsourced content". I've just spent a
considerable time resubmitting it, this time with lots of links (many to
UMRAts' pages). Get it while it's still there, as I suspect there might
be a war coming on, unless the sources _were_ what was needed. (Assuming
I can ever get through: my browsers are both just spinning their wheels
at the moment.)

Never make the same mistake twice...there are so many new ones to make!
Rosalind Mitchell
2018-03-22 19:27:12 UTC
[...]
It was still there just now. I've saved a snapshot.

Rotaa