UMRA birthday info for 4 June 2021
Birthday Monitor
2021-06-04 06:32:43 UTC
Birthday News for today, 4 June: Peter Hesketh RIP (last post 08/00)
and Karen Barford.
Min
2021-06-05 00:51:16 UTC
Post by Birthday Monitor
Birthday News for today, 4 June: Peter Hesketh RIP (last post 08/00)
and Karen Barford.
Absent Friends...
Min
Chris
2021-06-05 14:24:22 UTC
Post by Birthday Monitor
Birthday News for today, 4 June: Peter Hesketh RIP (last post 08/00)
and Karen Barford.
Spooky. In the huge reorganisation of photo storage we’re undertaking that
nice McT has found and labelled the photos I took of Hesky’s funeral I went
to. Michelle Holcroft drove *from Kent* to collect me the. Straight on to
a Welsh place I might misspell so won’t attempt. Min came, can’t remember
who else and we got permission to wear our umra tee shirts in an
environment where very smart was the strict dress code. She drove back to
Kent the same day. Think it was Kent, not Surrey. Long way from here and
mostly Surrey isn’t.

2021-06-05 15:35:51 UTC
Post by Chris
Post by Birthday Monitor
Birthday News for today, 4 June: Peter Hesketh RIP (last post 08/00)
and Karen Barford.
Spooky. In the huge reorganisation of photo storage we’re undertaking that
nice McT has found and labelled the photos I took of Hesky’s funeral I went
to. Michelle Holcroft drove *from Kent* to collect me the. Straight on to
a Welsh place I might misspell so won’t attempt. Min came, can’t remember
who else and we got permission to wear our umra tee shirts in an
environment where very smart was the strict dress code. She drove back to
Kent the same day. Think it was Kent, not Surrey. Long way from here and
mostly Surrey isn’t.
Sincerely Chris
We recently purchased a Synology DS420+ NAS with 4 x 4 Tb NAS hard drives
and have been very busy loading not only 20,000+ photos but also our CD and
DVD collections to the storage. Eventually, when round tuits become more
freely available, I provide a link to view the photos to AnyRats who are
interested in being bored….
Toddle Pip, Mike McMillan
Jim Easterbrook
2021-06-05 16:00:02 UTC
Post by Mike McMillan
We recently purchased a Synology DS420+ NAS with 4 x 4 Tb NAS hard drives
There's twoupmanship. I've only got a DS418j, similarly equipped. A
surprisingly useful little box - as well as the obvious photo and video
backups it runs my local DHCP & DNS server, Git server, and SSH host so I
can log into my home network from elsewhere.
2021-06-05 17:12:00 UTC
Post by Jim Easterbrook
Post by Mike McMillan
We recently purchased a Synology DS420+ NAS with 4 x 4 Tb NAS hard drives
There's twoupmanship. I've only got a DS418j, similarly equipped. A
surprisingly useful little box - as well as the obvious photo and video
backups it runs my local DHCP & DNS server, Git server, and SSH host so I
can log into my home network from elsewhere.
Useful bits of kit they is; and I’m not using ours to the full by any means
yet!
Toddle Pip, Mike McMillan
Mike McMillan
2021-06-05 17:14:59 UTC
Post by Mike McMillan
Post by Jim Easterbrook
Post by Mike McMillan
We recently purchased a Synology DS420+ NAS with 4 x 4 Tb NAS hard drives
There's twoupmanship. I've only got a DS418j, similarly equipped. A
surprisingly useful little box - as well as the obvious photo and video
backups it runs my local DHCP & DNS server, Git server, and SSH host so I
can log into my home network from elsewhere.
Useful bits of kit they is; and I’m not using ours to the full by any means
yet!
Oh! I’ve just realised that means we both have four by fours!!!!!
Toddle Pip, Mike McMillan
Chris J Dixon
2021-06-06 09:29:26 UTC
Post by Jim Easterbrook
Post by Mike McMillan
We recently purchased a Synology DS420+ NAS with 4 x 4 Tb NAS hard drives
There's twoupmanship. I've only got a DS418j, similarly equipped. A
surprisingly useful little box - as well as the obvious photo and video
backups it runs my local DHCP & DNS server, Git server, and SSH host so I
can log into my home network from elsewhere.
I've recently replaced my 9 year old DS411j, on which one of the
drives was beginning to look a bit dodgy, with a DS1019plus, with
5 x 4 TB. I haven't really investigated all the clever things it
can do.

Its main purpose is backups and my music collection.

***@cdixon.me.uk @ChrisJDixon1
2021-06-06 12:21:46 UTC
Post by Chris J Dixon
Post by Jim Easterbrook
Post by Mike McMillan
We recently purchased a Synology DS420+ NAS with 4 x 4 Tb NAS hard drives
There's twoupmanship. I've only got a DS418j, similarly equipped. A
surprisingly useful little box - as well as the obvious photo and video
backups it runs my local DHCP & DNS server, Git server, and SSH host so I
can log into my home network from elsewhere.
I've recently replaced my 9 year old DS411j, on which one of the
drives was beginning to look a bit dodgy, with a DS1019plus, with
5 x 4 TB. I haven't really investigated all the clever things it
can do.
Its main purpose is backups and my music collection.
Chris
Oh dear I feel distinctly out of sorts with my original ds213j only
getting a weekly airing so it is available for a backup and the ds218+
not doing anything like as much as Jim's. An SSH host sounds interesting.

Less interesting is that I will be lucky if this message appears as
there is apparently a fault on the line - I just thought the wifi was
dodgy. But when this PC started playing up (a wired connection) I knew
it was not the wifi.
2021-06-06 18:02:04 UTC
Oh dear I feel distinctly out of sorts with my original ds213j only
getting a weekly airing so it is available for a backup and the ds218+
not doing anything like as much as Jim's. An SSH host sounds
interesting.
"Host" is perhaps overstating the case. Like most machines on my home
network I can log into it with SSH, using a key pair so no passwords are
needed. All I've done is open one incoming port on my router so traffic
to that port is directed to the NAS box. Incoming logins (with the right
key) go to the NAS, allowing me to set up an SSH tunnel and do things I
could do if I was at home, such as use the PVR's web interface to set a
timer, or reboot the weather station's Raspberry Pi.
2021-06-07 09:14:14 UTC
Post by Jim Easterbrook
Post by krw
Oh dear I feel distinctly out of sorts with my original ds213j only
getting a weekly airing so it is available for a backup and the ds218+
not doing anything like as much as Jim's. An SSH host sounds
interesting.
"Host" is perhaps overstating the case. Like most machines on my home
network I can log into it with SSH, using a key pair so no passwords are
needed. All I've done is open one incoming port on my router so traffic
to that port is directed to the NAS box. Incoming logins (with the right
key) go to the NAS, allowing me to set up an SSH tunnel and do things I
could do if I was at home, such as use the PVR's web interface to set a
timer, or reboot the weather station's Raspberry Pi.
My normal approach when somewhere else (rare these days) is Teamviewer
into the PC and remote control from tablet or phone. However during my
recent absence it would not work after the first time. I think
TeamViewer was updated on the tablet and phone and for some reason would
no longer connect with the PC so I need to find another route into the
system to be able to update Teamviewer or reboot the PC - I am not sure
what solved the problem when I returned.