OT: a surfeit of scam calls (your internet will be disconnected ...)
2020-12-29 10:09:58 UTC
Have other rats suddenly been plagued by scam calls threatening the
disconnection of our internet because of illegal activity? We had four
yesterday and two before 10am today.

Eventually I pressed 'one' to talk to a supervisor and said how pleased
I was because I had been trying to get disconnected for a long time.
These days, with the covid virus coming down the line and being
activated by the 5G signals, it just wasn't safe .... and at this point
she disconnected me.
Jim Easterbrook
2020-12-29 10:27:25 UTC
Post by DavidK
Have other rats suddenly been plagued by scam calls threatening the
disconnection of our internet because of illegal activity? We had four
yesterday and two before 10am today.
I've had a run of calls from numbers I don't recognise and which have
hung up as soon as my answerphone message starts. I don't answer the
phone if I don't recognise the number.
2020-12-29 10:42:59 UTC
Post by Jim Easterbrook
Post by DavidK
Have other rats suddenly been plagued by scam calls threatening the
disconnection of our internet because of illegal activity? We had four
yesterday and two before 10am today.
I've had a run of calls from numbers I don't recognise and which have
hung up as soon as my answerphone message starts. I don't answer the
phone if I don't recognise the number.
But that could be Track and Trace telling you that you need to isolate.
2020-12-29 11:28:55 UTC
Post by Jim Easterbrook
Post by DavidK
Have other rats suddenly been plagued by scam calls threatening the
disconnection of our internet because of illegal activity? We had four
yesterday and two before 10am today.
I've had a run of calls from numbers I don't recognise and which have
hung up as soon as my answerphone message starts. I don't answer the
phone if I don't recognise the number.
But that could be Track and Trace telling you that you need to isolate.
But wouldn't they leave a message?

The advantage with David Attenborough is that people just want to hear him
talk. About anything.
- Kirsty Young (Desert Island Discs presenter), RT 2015/9/25-10/2
krw
2020-12-29 15:09:53 UTC
Post by DavidK
Have other rats suddenly been plagued by scam calls threatening the
disconnection of our internet because of illegal activity? We had four
yesterday and two before 10am today.
 I've had a run of calls from numbers I don't recognise and which have
hung up as soon as my answerphone message starts. I don't answer the
phone if I don't recognise the number.
But that could be Track and Trace telling you that you need to isolate.
But wouldn't they leave a message?
No, they have to speak to the individual - the number is a national
number and so calling back does not function.
LOL
Nick Odell
2020-12-29 11:58:38 UTC
Post by Jim Easterbrook
Post by DavidK
Have other rats suddenly been plagued by scam calls threatening the
disconnection of our internet because of illegal activity? We had four
yesterday and two before 10am today.
I've had a run of calls from numbers I don't recognise and which have
hung up as soon as my answerphone message starts. I don't answer the
phone if I don't recognise the number.
But that could be Track and Trace telling you that you need to isolate.
Interestingly (or otherwise) after I came back to Dear Old Blighty
last month, when the phone rang from an unknown number, I just "knew"
it was from Her Majesty's Inspector of Quarantine and I broke my own
rules and picked up the call. It was a nice chat: even though the
purpose was to make sure that I wasn't absconding to some ski resort
in Switzerland or something, the impression they wanted to leave was
that they were checking to see that I had all that I needed and could
get help if that were required.

2020-12-29 13:16:03 UTC
Post by Jim Easterbrook
Post by DavidK
Have other rats suddenly been plagued by scam calls threatening the
disconnection of our internet because of illegal activity? We had four
yesterday and two before 10am today.
I've had a run of calls from numbers I don't recognise and which have
hung up as soon as my answerphone message starts. I don't answer the
phone if I don't recognise the number.
But that could be Track and Trace telling you that you need to isolate.
In which case surely they would leave a message.
2020-12-29 11:49:35 UTC
On 29 Dec 2020 10:27:25 GMT, Jim Easterbrook
Post by Jim Easterbrook
Post by DavidK
Have other rats suddenly been plagued by scam calls threatening the
disconnection of our internet because of illegal activity? We had four
yesterday and two before 10am today.
I've had a run of calls from numbers I don't recognise and which have
hung up as soon as my answerphone message starts. I don't answer the
phone if I don't recognise the number.
Likewise here. And I've found that the longer you keep on
not-answering unknown calls the fewer they become. But if you pick one
up by mistake, the flood of unwanted calls starts again.

2020-12-29 11:42:14 UTC
Post by DavidK
Have other rats suddenly been plagued by scam calls threatening the
disconnection of our internet because of illegal activity? We had four
yesterday and two before 10am today.
Not particularly in the last few days, but I do get these - maybe once
or twice a month?
Post by DavidK
Eventually I pressed 'one' to talk to a supervisor and said how pleased
I was because I had been trying to get disconnected for a long time.
These days, with the covid virus coming down the line and being
activated by the 5G signals, it just wasn't safe .... and at this point
she disconnected me.
When I answer the 'phone mid-morning (seems to be peak scam call time),
I don't say anything for a few seconds, which is enough to cause most of
them to hang up; I do sometimes try talking to them, but it's usually
clear they're someone Asian (sorry to be so generic) with insufficient
grasp of English for any meaningful conversation to be possible.

We really need to clamp down on our telecommunication companies - the
majority of these calls could be identified technically - but there's at
present no incentive (i. e. financial, i. e. fines) for them to do so.

(If anyone's interested: I say they could be identified because, when I
dial 1471, a number is given; when I then dial 1572 option 1 [PlusNet's
"block" facility], it says it's an unknown number so can't be blocked.
This combination ought to be automatically detectable; anyone who
_validly_ withholds their number [such as hospitals, surgeries etc.]
shouldn't come up as a number under 1471, but say "withheld".)

Jenny M Benson
2020-12-29 12:00:25 UTC
(If anyone's interested: I say they could be identified because, when I
dial 1471, a number is given; when I then dial 1572 option 1 [PlusNet's
"block" facility], it says it's an unknown number so can't be blocked.
This combination ought to be automatically detectable; anyone who
_validly_ withholds their number [such as hospitals, surgeries etc.]
shouldn't come up as a number under 1471, but say "withheld".)
I hardly ever get a spam call but I know there has been the occasional
one which BT has blocked before it ever reached me.

I know a couple of people who have the system whereby any number not on
their white list is intercepted and the caller has to say who they are
and the call can be accepted or rejected.
2020-12-29 12:14:18 UTC
(If anyone's interested: I say they could be identified because, when I
dial 1471, a number is given; when I then dial 1572 option 1 [PlusNet's
"block" facility], it says it's an unknown number so can't be blocked.
This combination ought to be automatically detectable; anyone who
_validly_ withholds their number [such as hospitals, surgeries etc.]
shouldn't come up as a number under 1471, but say "withheld".)
I hardly ever get a spam call but I know there has been the occasional
one which BT has blocked before it ever reached me.
I know a couple of people who have the system whereby any number not on
their white list is intercepted and the caller has to say who they are
and the call can be accepted or rejected.
You do realise Jenny, that you are now about to be inundated with scam
calls - oh yesss, they’ve got your number....
2020-12-29 12:52:25 UTC
(If anyone's interested: I say they could be identified because, when
I dial 1471, a number is given; when I then dial 1572 option 1
[PlusNet's "block" facility], it says it's an unknown number so can't
be blocked. This combination ought to be automatically detectable;
anyone who _validly_ withholds their number [such as hospitals,
surgeries etc.] shouldn't come up as a number under 1471, but say
"withheld".)
I hardly ever get a spam call but I know there has been the occasional
one which BT has blocked before it ever reached me.
I know a couple of people who have the system whereby any number not on
their white list is intercepted and the caller has to say who they are
and the call can be accepted or rejected.
That's what I've got and, since getting it, I haven't had any scam calls
reach me on my landline. I do get the occasional one on my phobile but
not very often.
User error: replace user and press any key to continue.
Mike Headon
2020-12-30 14:39:43 UTC
(If anyone's interested: I say they could be identified because, when
I dial 1471, a number is given; when I then dial 1572 option 1
[PlusNet's "block" facility], it says it's an unknown number so can't
be blocked. This combination ought to be automatically detectable;
anyone who _validly_ withholds their number [such as hospitals,
surgeries etc.] shouldn't come up as a number under 1471, but say
"withheld".)
I hardly ever get a spam call but I know there has been the occasional
one which BT has blocked before it ever reached me.
I know a couple of people who have the system whereby any number not on
their white list is intercepted and the caller has to say who they are
and the call can be accepted or rejected.
Yes, I have a BT call screening phone and I would hate to be without it now.
--
Mike Headon
R69S R850R
Steve Hague
2020-12-29 13:12:21 UTC
[...]
In my experience, a hospital or clinic will leave a message. We get the
scam calls occasionally, and they seem to come in clusters. We go for
weeks without one, then several turn up on the same day. A bit like
buses really, but not as welcome. I'm another who doesn't answer the
phone unless it's a number I recognise. We get very few calls on our
landline these days.
2020-12-29 22:26:43 UTC
Post by DavidK
Have other rats suddenly been plagued by scam calls threatening the
disconnection of our internet because of illegal activity? We had four
yesterday and two before 10am today.
Eventually I pressed 'one' to talk to a supervisor and said how pleased
I was because I had been trying to get disconnected for a long time.
These days, with the covid virus coming down the line and being
activated by the 5G signals, it just wasn't safe .... and at this point
she disconnected me.
You naughty naughty boy.
I like it.

Sadly, all the spam/scam calls we get are recorded messages.
Whatever happened to the good old days when spam & scam calls were
lovingly voice-crafted by a dedicated individual to whom your call
really meant something?
Sad I call it.
Joe Kerr
2020-12-29 22:42:37 UTC
Post by DavidK
Have other rats suddenly been plagued by scam calls threatening the
disconnection of our internet because of illegal activity? We had four
yesterday and two before 10am today.
Never more than 5 in a day, about 3 weeks ago.

I did get over 50 junk emails the other day, and about 30 more the
following day, all from the same address on behalf of assorted
companies. That's one of the great benefits of having email from a small
regional US provider - when the mail arrives offering wonderful offers
priced in dollars it obviously spam.
--
Ric