TA is probably about to air another social information story line
2020-10-09 08:43:11 UTC
It looks like the story of ALice's pregnancy will be one of the main
ones from now on. For those not listening, she has been drinking too
much for some years. WHether she lost her job because of being drunk
is not certain but she was not performing well there.

She has been drinking lots and telling Chris she stopped while taking
over Adam's job while he is off sick. There was a bust-up with Emma
because Ed saw her out of control and drunk and she gave him wrong
orders. He offered sympathy and support for her problem but she chose
to think he was just attacted to her.

Emma went to explain but Alice and Chris denied she drinks at all and
Alice attacked Emma unforgiveably, talking about her children, lack of
money etc. Saying no wonder Ed fancied her, Alice.

Alice then went out to meet Fallon one evening, passed out by the side
of the road, missing Fallon's text that she wasn't able to come. Gavin
found Alice and took her to hospital. She was dischargd to Chris's
care, she was told she's pregnant but Chris didn't know. She told
Gavin first when he came to ask how she was a day or two later. She
then told Chris and he assumed she wanted the baby.

She had the first talk to register with the midwife online with Chris
there. When asked she lied about her drinking. The midwife will have
the discharge notes from A&E so that is a talk going to happen when
Chris is not present.Confidentiality.

I found this
https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/foetal-alcohol-syndrome/
Chris was very angry with the midwife for mentioning this as a danger
if Alice drinks in pregnancy and wanted to complain about the midwife.
Irony. I assume we won't know if the baby is damaged. And we don't
know if Alice will refrain from drinking. Lilian told her one was ok
so she drank it.
krw
2020-10-09 09:10:09 UTC
[...]
Sadly like the Adam and Ian baby story it is about 10 years too late.
The constant arrival and departure of editors since the Beetle has
destroyed the long term continuity and planning. Credit to the current
incumbent who appears to have realised that these stories were in the
ether and needed to be played out but it should all happened much sooner.

And yes Alice resigned because she was upset over someone being promoted
over her head because she was not doing the job expected and when she
failed to knuckle down as her new manager was wanting her to toe the
line she could not see it and departed.
2020-10-09 10:10:58 UTC
On Fri, 9 Oct 2020 at 10:10:09, krw <***@whitnet.uk> wrote:
And yes Alice resigned because she was upset over someone being
promoted over her head because she was not doing the job expected and
when she failed to knuckle down as her new manager was wanting her to
toe the line she could not see it and departed.
Or that's what she's claimed. We're probably never going to find out if
the truth is any different, unless there's some reason for anyone in a
storyline to contact the employer to ask.

... although we regard it as undesirable for children to drive cars, own
credit cards or enter public houses, we don't prevent grown-ups from choosing
to do so. (Quoted by Paul Bray in Computing, 3 October 1996.)
Serena Blanchflower
2020-10-09 10:25:41 UTC
And yes Alice resigned because she was upset over someone being
promoted over her head because she was not doing the job expected and
when she failed to knuckle down as her new manager was wanting her to
toe the line she could not see it and departed.
Or that's what she's claimed. We're probably never going to find out if
the truth is any different, unless there's some reason for anyone in a
storyline to contact the employer to ask.
The employer may well not know, either. I doubt that the problems she
had at work were explicitly ascribed to her being drunk at work (or even
hung-over) but that may well have been a factor in her poor performance.
I dropped out of communism class because of lousy Marx.
carolet
2020-10-09 10:29:41 UTC
And yes Alice resigned because she was upset over someone being
promoted over her head because she was not doing the job expected and
when she failed to knuckle down as her new manager was wanting her to
toe the line she could not see it and departed.
Or that's what she's claimed. We're probably never going to find out if
the truth is any different, unless there's some reason for anyone in a
storyline to contact the employer to ask.
Didn't Brian report having a chat to her employer when they happened to
meet. Brian had said "You must miss her", or something similar. I
understood that this led to Brian being told something about what had
been going on, though we didn't hear much more than that.
2020-10-09 10:43:10 UTC
[...]
When Gavin came to ask how she was, he made it clear that he knew that
she was drunk when he found her. He said something about having a drink
now. She said something along the lines of "I can't, it'll harm the
baby" (Dum di dum di dum ...).
Post by Vicky Ayech
She
then told Chris and he assumed she wanted the baby.
She had the first talk to register with the midwife online with Chris
there. When asked she lied about her drinking. The midwife will have
the discharge notes from A&E so that is a talk going to happen when
Chris is not present.Confidentiality.
I found this
https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/foetal-alcohol-syndrome/
Chris was very angry with the midwife for mentioning this as a danger
if Alice drinks in pregnancy and wanted to complain about the midwife.
Irony. I assume we won't know if the baby is damaged. And we don't
know if Alice will refrain from drinking. Lilian told her one was ok
so she drank it.
I don't suppose that the one drink that she had with Lilian will make
much difference on top of the dozens/hundreds that she has already
consumed, assuming that that is the only one that she has had since she
found out. We have heard her refusing drinks, so I have hopes that this
is the case. Although Lilian was encouraging her to think that drinking
during pregnancy was fine, the midwife let her know that isn't the
current view, so I hope that she took her advice, rather than Lilian's.

We know that Alice is fretting about the damage that she might have done
to the baby, so it might well give her the incentive to stop.
2020-10-09 11:00:28 UTC
Drinking or the pregnancy ?
carolet
2020-10-09 11:10:59 UTC
We know that Alice is fretting about the damage that she might have
done to the baby, so it might well give her the incentive to stop.
Drinking or the pregnancy ?
Either, really.
2020-10-09 15:38:16 UTC
On Fri, 09 Oct 2020 09:43:11 +0100, Vicky Ayech <***@gmail.com>
It looks like the story of ALice's pregnancy will be one of the main
ones from now on. [...]
Good summary - I think you missed the bit before she told Chris about it ,
when she was considering not telling him at all and having a termination.
She spoke to a 'counsellor', probably on the phone, more than once, I
think. Did she also discuss that possibility with Gavin? I forget.
2020-10-09 17:05:21 UTC
It looks like the story of ALice's pregnancy will be one of the main
ones from now on. [...]
Good summary - I think you missed the bit before she told Chris about it ,
when she was considering not telling him at all and having a termination.
She spoke to a 'counsellor', probably on the phone, more than once, I
think. Did she also discuss that possibility with Gavin? I forget.
Not that we heard. I thought she had decided to terminate but then
suddenly she was celebrating the pregnancy. It was confusing.
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2020-10-09 22:22:58 UTC
Good summary - I think you missed the bit before she told Chris about it ,
when she was considering not telling him at all and having a termination.
She spoke to a 'counsellor', probably on the phone, more than once, I
think. Did she also discuss that possibility with Gavin? I forget.
Not that we heard. I thought she had decided to terminate but then
suddenly she was celebrating the pregnancy. It was confusing.
Ah. Glad I'm not the only one who found that confusing.

A biochemist walks into a student bar and says to the barman: "I'd like a pint
of adenosine triphosphate, please." "Certainly," says the barman, "that'll be
ATP." (Quoted in) The Independent, 2013-7-13
Min
2020-10-10 01:30:10 UTC
Good summary - I think you missed the bit before she told Chris about it ,
when she was considering not telling him at all and having a termination.
She spoke to a 'counsellor', probably on the phone, more than once, I
think. Did she also discuss that possibility with Gavin? I forget.
Not that we heard. I thought she had decided to terminate but then
suddenly she was celebrating the pregnancy. It was confusing.
Ah. Glad I'm not the only one who found that confusing.
Maybe it's because I'm an omnivore....Alice asked for/talked about
termination, but when Christopher gave his "Life doesn't get any better than this" speech, she rang the clinic back to say she'd decided against the termination,but not in a convincing manner....
Min
Mike
2020-10-10 06:47:27 UTC
Post by Min
Good summary - I think you missed the bit before she told Chris about it ,
when she was considering not telling him at all and having a termination.
She spoke to a 'counsellor', probably on the phone, more than once, I
think. Did she also discuss that possibility with Gavin? I forget.
Not that we heard. I thought she had decided to terminate but then
suddenly she was celebrating the pregnancy. It was confusing.
Ah. Glad I'm not the only one who found that confusing.
Maybe it's because I'm an omnivore....Alice asked for/talked about
termination, but when Christopher gave his "Life doesn't get any better
than this" speech, she rang the clinic back to say she'd decided against
the termination,but not in a convincing manner....
Ooah Nooa! But there is plenty of time for (another) mis-carriage story.
:-(((
2020-10-10 10:14:05 UTC
On Fri, 9 Oct 2020 18:30:10 -0700 (PDT), Min
Post by Min
Good summary - I think you missed the bit before she told Chris about it ,
when she was considering not telling him at all and having a termination.
She spoke to a 'counsellor', probably on the phone, more than once, I
think. Did she also discuss that possibility with Gavin? I forget.
Not that we heard. I thought she had decided to terminate but then
suddenly she was celebrating the pregnancy. It was confusing.
Ah. Glad I'm not the only one who found that confusing.
Maybe it's because I'm an omnivore....Alice asked for/talked about
termination, but when Christopher gave his "Life doesn't get any better than this" speech, she rang the clinic back to say she'd decided against the termination,but not in a convincing manner....
Did he make the speech in response to the news of her pregnancy,
before she'd decided? Was she about to suggest she might terminate it?
Penny
2020-10-10 10:40:26 UTC
On Sat, 10 Oct 2020 11:14:05 +0100, Vicky Ayech <***@gmail.com>
Post by Min
Good summary - I think you missed the bit before she told Chris about it ,
when she was considering not telling him at all and having a termination.
She spoke to a 'counsellor', probably on the phone, more than once, I
think. Did she also discuss that possibility with Gavin? I forget.
Not that we heard. I thought she had decided to terminate but then
suddenly she was celebrating the pregnancy. It was confusing.
Ah. Glad I'm not the only one who found that confusing.
Maybe it's because I'm an omnivore....Alice asked for/talked about
termination, but when Christopher gave his "Life doesn't get any better than this" speech, she rang the clinic back to say she'd decided against the termination,but not in a convincing manner....
Did he make the speech in response to the news of her pregnancy,
before she'd decided? Was she about to suggest she might terminate it?
I think she wanted to discuss it - he wasn't listening once he had the 'I'm
pregnant' in his head, so she just went with it.
2020-10-10 17:12:07 UTC
Post by Min
[...]
And now Radio Carter has announced it on air it will be harder to
abort.
Min
2020-10-11 00:31:56 UTC
Post by Min
Good summary - I think you missed the bit before she told Chris about it ,
when she was considering not telling him at all and having a termination.
She spoke to a 'counsellor', probably on the phone, more than once, I
think. Did she also discuss that possibility with Gavin? I forget.
Not that we heard. I thought she had decided to terminate but then
suddenly she was celebrating the pregnancy. It was confusing.
Ah. Glad I'm not the only one who found that confusing.
Maybe it's because I'm an omnivore....Alice asked for/talked about
termination, but when Christopher gave his "Life doesn't get any better than this" speech, she rang the clinic back to say she'd decided against the termination,but not in a convincing manner....
Did he make the speech in response to the news of her pregnancy,
before she'd decided? Was she about to suggest she might terminate it?
Yes - he was so ecstatic and happy, I'm sure that she felt she couldn't even
broach the subject. IIRC, she tried to talk to him but his head was locked
into 'Happy, proud father to-be and loving husband' mode.
Min
Penny
2020-10-10 10:37:37 UTC
On Fri, 9 Oct 2020 18:30:10 -0700 (PDT), Min <***@googlemail.com>
scrawled in the dust...
Post by Min
Good summary - I think you missed the bit before she told Chris about it ,
when she was considering not telling him at all and having a termination.
She spoke to a 'counsellor', probably on the phone, more than once, I
think. Did she also discuss that possibility with Gavin? I forget.
Not that we heard. I thought she had decided to terminate but then
suddenly she was celebrating the pregnancy. It was confusing.
Ah. Glad I'm not the only one who found that confusing.
Maybe it's because I'm an omnivore....Alice asked for/talked about
termination, but when Christopher gave his "Life doesn't get any better than this" speech, she rang the clinic back to say she'd decided against the termination,but not in a convincing manner....
Thanks Min, I didn't think I'd imagined it. In her monologue she was
reinforcing her thoughts about not wanting a baby in her life I think.