grans talk about hanging washing out
2021-04-26 12:30:08 UTC
https://www.gransnet.com/forums/chat/1294806-Allegedly-hanging-ones-washing-out-in-the-garden-ruins-the-aesthetic-look-of-the-place-shock?utm_source=newsletter_gransnetdaily&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=26/04/2021&utm_term=%22Noisy+neighbours%22

B re-vamped the garden to make it easy to manage as he is less able.
My original line is still there but now it has to be propped out of
the way more carefully as he could be garotted otherwise. I like
drying laundry outside if the weather is ok. Otherwise we have a
drying rack in the bathroom. I'd be against buying somewhere where it
is forbidden. I think Italian streets with washing strung over the
roat look fine.(other nationality streets are available.)
krw
2021-04-26 13:48:40 UTC
https://www.gransnet.com/forums/chat/1294806-Allegedly-hanging-ones-washing-out-in-the-garden-ruins-the-aesthetic-look-of-the-place-shock?utm_source=newsletter_gransnetdaily&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=26/04/2021&utm_term=%22Noisy+neighbours%22
B re-vamped the garden to make it easy to manage as he is less able.
My original line is still there but now it has to be propped out of
the way more carefully as he could be garotted otherwise. I like
drying laundry outside if the weather is ok. Otherwise we have a
drying rack in the bathroom. I'd be against buying somewhere where it
is forbidden. I think Italian streets with washing strung over the
roat look fine.(other nationality streets are available.)
I can remember my former in-laws (not my now late current in-laws)
getting highly upset by the neighbours hanging out washing on a Sunday
(in their own back garden) as they considered it "wrong".

This house has a split personality as the good lady wife using the
tumble dryer but the daughter will air dry her washing outside on warm
sunny days. I suppose the latter holds the ecological sunlit highlands
as a result!
2021-04-26 16:15:17 UTC
I can remember my former in-laws (not my now late current in-laws)
getting highly upset by the neighbours hanging out washing on a Sunday
(in their own back garden) as they considered it "wrong".
I once got a severe ticking off from my (RC) landlady for doing washing
on a Sunday. She assured me I would go to hell. My grandmother
(staunch CoE) also had very strict rules pertaining to Sundays. Card
games of any sort were forbidden, also dominoes, and when her resident
brother acquired the first ever tv set in the household that was never
switched on on the Sabbath.
2021-04-26 18:03:33 UTC
I can remember my former in-laws (not my now late current in-laws)
getting highly upset by the neighbours hanging out washing on a Sunday
(in their own back garden) as they considered it "wrong".
I once got a severe ticking off from my (RC) landlady for doing washing
on a Sunday.  She assured me I would go to hell.  My grandmother
(staunch CoE) also had very strict rules pertaining to Sundays.  Card
games of any sort were forbidden, also dominoes, and when her resident
brother acquired the first ever tv set in the household that was never
switched on on the Sabbath.
My most recent ex-wife's Welsh chapel grandmother once chastised us for
offering to tidy up her garden with "Nobody here mows their lawn on a
Sunday."

2021-04-26 20:09:44 UTC
On Mon, 26 Apr 2021 17:15:17 +0100, Jenny M Benson <***@hotmail.co.uk>
I can remember my former in-laws (not my now late current in-laws)
getting highly upset by the neighbours hanging out washing on a Sunday
(in their own back garden) as they considered it "wrong".
I once got a severe ticking off from my (RC) landlady for doing washing
on a Sunday. She assured me I would go to hell. My grandmother
(staunch CoE) also had very strict rules pertaining to Sundays.
I was brought up CofE but was never aware of this 'rule' until the day, in
my teens, I did some laundry of my own on a Sunday and my mother said if I
hung it out on the line she'd be talked about by the neighbours. This was a
big surprise to me - and not just because our somewhat isolated house and
garden could only be seen by one neighbour 'with a ladder and some
glasses'.

I gave up hanging washing out of doors years ago. I used a tumble drier
when the weather was unreliable and the children were small. Dashing
outside to rescue two dozen nappies in a sudden downpour was not much fun
and we had space in the utility room to have a multiple line there and
leave things to dry for several days without being in anyone's way. I
brought the tumble drier with me when we moved but gave it away to someone
who really needed it while we were still in rented accommodation. Here I
have a so-called sun room - largely used as a garden shed for the mower and
shredder, and a greenhouse for seedlings. I have a line strung up in there
which serves me well - the clothes get sunshine and no rain, they come out
smelling as if they've been aired outdoors.
2021-04-26 18:33:18 UTC
https://www.gransnet.com/forums/chat/1294806-Allegedly-hanging-ones-was
hing-out-in-the-garden-ruins-the-aesthetic-look-of-the-place-shock?utm_
source=newsletter_gransnetdaily&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=26/04/202
1&utm_term=%22Noisy+neighbours%22
B re-vamped the garden to make it easy to manage as he is less able.
My original line is still there but now it has to be propped out of
the way more carefully as he could be garotted otherwise. I like
drying laundry outside if the weather is ok. Otherwise we have a
drying rack in the bathroom. I'd be against buying somewhere where it
is forbidden. I think Italian streets with washing strung over the
roat look fine.(other nationality streets are available.)
One of the site rules here is that (outdoors) only rotary clothes-lines
are permissible. (Never bothered me: I dry on radiators [whether on or
not] for anything else, and drip-dry for shirts.)
Post by krw
I can remember my former in-laws (not my now late current in-laws)
getting highly upset by the neighbours hanging out washing on a Sunday
(in their own back garden) as they considered it "wrong".
IIRR, when we moved to quarters in Germany, we were informed that it was
actually illegal - against German law - to have washing out on a Sunday.
(That was 1966; I've no idea if it still is. I suspect it probably is.)
Post by krw
This house has a split personality as the good lady wife using the
tumble dryer but the daughter will air dry her washing outside on warm
sunny days. I suppose the latter holds the ecological sunlit highlands
as a result!
What does the daughter do if no warm sunny days are supplied?

Every time I think I know where it's at, they move it.
krw
2021-04-26 23:02:29 UTC
This house has a split personality as the good lady wife using the
tumble dryer but the daughter will air dry her washing outside on warm
sunny days.  I suppose the latter holds the ecological sunlit
highlands as a result!
What does the daughter do if no warm sunny days are supplied?
She uses the same dryer in one the no longer an ensuite to the no longer
downstairs bedroom in the former garage.
2021-04-26 20:58:22 UTC
On Mon, 26 Apr 2021 13:30:08 +0100, Vicky Ayech
Post by Vicky Ayech
https://www.gransnet.com/forums/chat/1294806-Allegedly-hanging-ones-washing-out-in-the-garden-ruins-the-aesthetic-look-of-the-place-shock?utm_source=newsletter_gransnetdaily&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=26/04/2021&utm_term=%22Noisy+neighbours%22
B re-vamped the garden to make it easy to manage as he is less able.
My original line is still there but now it has to be propped out of
the way more carefully as he could be garotted otherwise. I like
drying laundry outside if the weather is ok. Otherwise we have a
drying rack in the bathroom. I'd be against buying somewhere where it
is forbidden. I think Italian streets with washing strung over the
roat look fine.(other nationality streets are available.)
I think if my neighbours were like that (and they are not) I'd be
inclined to buy eight, differently coloured t-shirts, with a big
letter n b <blank> h o n l s printed on the front and hang them on
the line just because.

2021-04-27 08:06:12 UTC
Post by Vicky Ayech
[...]
I have failed to anagramise n b <blank> h o n l s - what is the message,
just an annoyance?
2021-04-27 08:12:11 UTC
Post by Vicky Ayech
[...]
Took me a while too, but you need to read it upside down and backwards,
so it say "up youls".

Not sure what could have been better for the "r", but maybe
<warning: not-so-unconscious racism alert> the neighbours are Chinese.
Penny
2021-04-27 10:13:33 UTC
On Tue, 27 Apr 2021 09:12:11 +0100, BrritSki <***@gmail.com>
Post by Nick Odell
I think if my neighbours were like that (and they are not) I'd be
inclined to buy eight, differently coloured t-shirts, with a big
letter n b <blank> h o n l s printed on the front and hang them on
the line just because.
I have failed to anagramise n b <blank> h o n l s - what is the message,
just an annoyance?
Took me a while too, but you need to read it upside down and backwards,
so it say "up youls".
Not sure what could have been better for the "r", but maybe
<warning: not-so-unconscious racism alert> the neighbours are Chinese.
Ah so - a message AND an annoyance :)
(J would have worked better - typo?)
2021-04-27 10:57:06 UTC
Post by Nick Odell
I think if my neighbours were like that (and they are not) I'd be
inclined to buy eight, differently coloured t-shirts, with a big
letter n b <blank> h o n l s printed on the front and hang them on
the line just because.
I have failed to anagramise n b <blank> h o n l s - what is the message,
just an annoyance?
Took me a while too, but you need to read it upside down and backwards,
so it say "up youls".
Not sure what could have been better for the "r", but maybe
<warning: not-so-unconscious racism alert> the neighbours are Chinese.
Ah so - a message AND an annoyance :)
(J would have worked better - typo?)
I would like to say here that the "L" was just to cause more annoyance
but it's not true. My spacial conceptualising - or whatever it's
called - let me down and "J" would be much better.

I only realised that when I put my charity-shop "New Jersey Atlantic
Docks" t-shirt on this morning.