Radio Times/BBC Credits and Spoilers - week ending 11th October 2019
2019-10-05 20:08:21 UTC
Jolene Archer    -    Buffy Davis
Lilian Bellamy    -    Sunny Ormonde
Ian Craig    -    Stephen Kennedy
Ruairi Donovan    -    Arthur Hughes
Justin Elliott    -    Simon Williams
Rex Fairbrother    -    Nick Barber
Toby Fairbrother    -    Rhys Bevan
Eddie Grundy    -    Trevor Harrison
Clarrie Grundy    -    Heather Bell
Will Grundy    -    Philip Molloy
Emma Grundy    -    Emerald O'Hanrahan
Ed Grundy    -    Barry Farrimond
Adam Macy    -    Andrew Wincott
Kate Madikane    -    Perdita Avery
Kirsty Miller    -    Annabelle Dowler
Elizabeth Pargetter    -    Alison Dowling
Lynda Snell    -    Carole Boyd
Oliver Sterling    -    Michael Cochrane
Roy Tucker    -    Ian Pepperell
Lexi Viktorova    -    Ania Sowinski
Philip Moss    -    Andy Hockley
Joy Horville    -    Jackie Lye
Director    :    Gwenda Hughes
Editor    :    Jeremy Howe
Writer    :    Adrian Flynn
Sunday 6th - Ian’s concerns come to the forefront and Elizabeth has a
brainwave.
Monday 7th - Emma is on a mission, and Toby has a delicate question to ask.
Tuesday 8th - Ed manages to strike a deal and there is a final goodbye
for Roy.
Wednesday 9th - Kirsty finds herself out in the cold and Lilian is still
suffering the consequences.
Thursday 10th - Eddie bids a sad farewell and Ruairi reveals his true
feelings.
Friday 11th - The Grundys are united in grief, and Ambridge marks the
passing of a legend.
I just hope it's not as a result of the demise of the cider press.
2019-10-06 03:20:03 UTC
Post by Kate B
[...]
(-: [slight BTN?]

Talking of such: surely a certain village blacksmith ought at least to
be asked to look at the damage?

... the pleasure of the mind is an amazing thing. My life has been driven by
the satisfaction of curiosity. - Jeremy Paxman (being interviewed by Anne
Widdecombe), Radio Times, 2-8 July 2011.
BrritSki
2019-10-06 08:08:06 UTC
I don't think there's much that smiths can do with cast iron.
Mike
2019-10-06 08:24:55 UTC
Post by Kate B
I just hope it's not as a result of the demise of the cider press.
Talking of such: surely a certain village blacksmith ought at least to
be asked to look at the damage?
I don't think there's much that smiths can do with cast iron.
When doing my engineering apprenticeship in the sixties, a colleague used
to be commissioned to carry out a job for the local sewage farm
periodically; they used huge valves and occasionally, there would be a loud
crack and a valve mechanism would fail. The job entailed cutting a thread
on a large block of phosphor bronze -after drilling it out first - any
engineers amongst you will know PB is not an easy material to work with;
cutting an internal three start left handed straight-sided shouldered
thread was quite a challenge.
2019-10-06 08:30:50 UTC
Post by Kate B
I just hope it's not as a result of the demise of the cider press.
Talking of such: surely a certain village blacksmith ought at least to
be asked to look at the damage?
I don't think there's much that smiths can do with cast iron.
When doing my engineering apprenticeship in the sixties, a colleague used
to be commissioned to carry out a job for the local sewage farm
periodically; they used huge valves and occasionally, there would be a loud
crack and a valve mechanism would fail. The job entailed cutting a thread
on a large block of phosphor bronze -after drilling it out first - any
engineers amongst you will know PB is not an easy material to work with;
cutting an internal three start left handed straight-sided shouldered
thread was quite a challenge.
When writing the above, it escaped my mind that the term I was struggling
to remember was a ‘buttress thread’.
2019-10-06 09:27:45 UTC
On Sun, 6 Oct 2019 04:20:03 +0100, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
Post by Kate B
[...]
Sounds like a machining job, cutting a replacement screw, rather than a
smithing one. <Thinks, does smith come from smite?>
2019-10-06 09:46:55 UTC
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
Talking of such: surely a certain village blacksmith ought at least to
be asked to look at the damage?
Sounds like a machining job, cutting a replacement screw, rather than a
smithing one.
I'm pretty sure they said it was *cast* iron. Our wine press in Italy
was steel I think but it was only a few decades old. Sounds like the
Grundy press is much older.
Penny
2019-10-06 11:16:44 UTC
On Sun, 6 Oct 2019 10:46:55 +0100, BrritSki <***@gmail.com>
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
Talking of such: surely a certain village blacksmith ought at least to
be asked to look at the damage?
Sounds like a machining job, cutting a replacement screw, rather than a
smithing one.
I'm pretty sure they said it was *cast* iron.
Brittle stuff, cast iron, I'm surprised it's held out so long.
OTOH, many people use the wrong terms for different types of iron.
2019-10-07 06:36:31 UTC
Brittle stuff, cast iron, I'm surprised it's held out so long.
OTOH, many people use the wrong terms for different types of iron.
Yes - it's not just any old iron.[1]

[1]You're welcome. Always happy to donate an earworm for the good of
the community.
2019-10-07 07:17:11 UTC
Brittle stuff, cast iron, I'm surprised it's held out so long.
OTOH, many people use the wrong terms for different types of iron.
Yes - it's not just any old iron.[1]
[1]You're welcome. Always happy to donate an earworm for the good of
the community.
Is that one of Bessy Merr’s songs?
2019-10-07 18:53:44 UTC
Brittle stuff, cast iron, I'm surprised it's held out so long.
OTOH, many people use the wrong terms for different types of iron.
Yes - it's not just any old iron.[1]
[1]You're welcome. Always happy to donate an earworm for the good of
the community.
Is that one of Bessy Merr’s songs?
Well that's a blast from the past!
2019-10-06 07:49:00 UTC
Post by Kate B
[...]
No, that would have shaken them to the core.
2019-10-06 07:51:40 UTC
[...]
So Joe is being allowed to KTB now, will his coffin/urn be barrel shaped?
2019-10-14 15:23:34 UTC
So Joe is being allowed to KTB now, will his coffin/urn be barrel shaped?
I have been away for a few days checking out the facilities where they
make a televisual programme about village life called something like
Emmerdale Farm. The pictures are not as good as those of Ambridge.

On our return journey today we passed a motorbike and (as we initially
thought) a sidecar.

Closer inspection as we passed it established that the sidecar was a
very special adaptation to convey a coffin with the sidecar being in the
shape of a hearse.

I think when Alan the vicar passes the village should ensure his final
transportation is in a similar vehicle.
2019-10-14 15:47:48 UTC
On our return journey today we passed a motorbike and (as we initially
thought) a sidecar.
Closer inspection as we passed it established that the sidecar was a
very special adaptation to convey a coffin with the sidecar being in the
shape of a hearse.
I think when Alan the vicar passes the village should ensure his final
transportation is in a similar vehicle.
<https://www.theguardian.com/money/2019/oct/12/i-set-up-a-funeral-firm-to-help-people-not-to-make-money>

" I also had the absolute privilege to take my friend and mentor,
the owner of Motorcycle Funerals, on a 126 mph final ride around
Donington Park circuit as part of his funeral. I know he would
have loved that."

***@cdixon.me.uk @ChrisJDixon1
2019-10-15 07:35:10 UTC
On Mon, 14 Oct 2019 16:23:34 +0100, krw <***@whitnet.uk> scrawled in the
dust...
So Joe is being allowed to KTB now, will his coffin/urn be barrel shaped?
On our return journey today we passed a motorbike and (as we initially
thought) a sidecar.
Closer inspection as we passed it established that the sidecar was a
very special adaptation to convey a coffin with the sidecar being in the
shape of a hearse.
I've seen that on the telly and enquired about it of the undertaker when
arranging Ray's funeral. Old motorbikes were his first love and, long
before my time, his first family vehicle (with sidecar). The undertaker
quoted a very high figure to hire the sidecar hearse, which d#1 and I
decided would have been against Ray's parsimonious principles, so we
decided not to use it.
Steve Hague
2019-10-06 14:12:44 UTC
Post by Kate B
[...]
So it stopped. Short. Never to press again,
When the Old Man died.
Steve Hague
Mike
2019-10-06 16:02:28 UTC
Post by Steve Hague
Post by Kate B
[...]
... and they were all be cider themselves.
2019-10-07 06:39:11 UTC
Post by Steve Hague
Post by Kate B
I just hope it's not as a result of the demise of the cider press.
So it stopped. Short. Never to press again,
When the Old Man died.
For heaven's sake, Steve - have some compassion!

I suppose at least it's dislodged Crowded House. For now.
Clive Arthur
2019-10-07 09:13:40 UTC
Post by Steve Hague
Post by Kate B
I just hope it's not as a result of the demise of the cider press.
So it stopped. Short. Never to press again,
When the Old Man died.
For heaven's sake, Steve - have some compassion!
If not compression. And it's dashed Clarrie's hopes of Eddie being big
in cider. [(c) Humph]
Post by Sid Nuncius
I suppose at least it's dislodged Crowded House.  For now.
Cheers
Clive
BrritSki
2019-10-07 09:38:42 UTC
Post by Steve Hague
Post by Kate B
I just hope it's not as a result of the demise of the cider press.
So it stopped. Short. Never to press again,
When the Old Man died.
For heaven's sake, Steve - have some compassion!
If not compression.  And it's dashed Clarrie's hopes of Eddie being big
in cider. [(c) Humph]
Won't they drop at least part [1] of Joe into the cider vat in place of
the traditional rat ?

[1] suggestions on a postcard please. I suggest part of the farmer's lung.
Mike
2019-10-07 18:51:31 UTC
Post by Steve Hague
Post by Kate B
I just hope it's not as a result of the demise of the cider press.
So it stopped. Short. Never to press again,
When the Old Man died.
For heaven's sake, Steve - have some compassion!
If not compression.  And it's dashed Clarrie's hopes of Eddie being big
in cider. [(c) Humph]
Won't they drop at least part [1] of Joe into the cider vat in place of
the traditional rat ?
[1] suggestions on a postcard please. I suggest part of the farmer's lung.
BTN!
Yes. Deplorable, quite deplorable.