completely OT: surprise from British Gas
2020-09-22 16:33:28 UTC
I used to have a boiler service contract with BG, which included an
annual service; I switched to someone else, about last Autumn I think.

Last December (i. e. 2019), I received an email from them, to say even
though I was no longer a customer, I had paid for one more service visit
than I'd had, and they'd give me it - I think I had about a year to take
them up on it, so I didn't rush into it. I got another email in January.

Since I have the contract with someone else, and also a (very faint)
suspicion that this might be a way to condemn the boiler (nothing wrong
with it, but as I'm no longer their customer ... call me very slightly
paranoid if you like), I hadn't done anything about it - then covid
happened anyway.

Anyway, as part of my weekly cull of old emails on Sunday, I had a look
at those emails again. They were a weird design, though only people like
me using old email software would know this: no text was involved! The
emails consisted purely of four (IIRR) links to pictures. They were
pictures of the text (in screen quarters I think), so anyone using
modern software with online images turned on, would just see the text
and not realise that was the case.

But by now, someone at BG - or, more likely, the company providing their
services - had deleted the images. So when I looked, I just saw blank
rectangles. Fortunately, I'd remembered what they were about.

I emailed (Bccing to ***@britishgas.co.uk,
***@contactus.britishgas.co.uk,
***@britishgas.co.uk - you have to dig very hard to find
email addresses! Two of those are now dud - sorry, can't remember which
is the one that worked. [I always Bcc - that way, the recipients don't
see that another part is also getting it; if they see that, they assume
that the other part will deal with it and do nothing]. Now where was I
...), describing what had happened, and saying please sort it.

I just had a call: she (sounded Yorkshire, I think) said this can happen
with PDF emails. (It wasn't a PDF, but never mind - she knew there was a
problem.) I said no hurry, I know covid is giving you problems, I'm
quite happy to wait 'til next year - and she said we probably can't do
it at all, but can send you a cheque for 65 instead!

Which is a nice surprise! OK, I'll believe it when I get it (she said it
might take up to 14 days), but still!

So if any of you have such a communication from BG saying you're
entitled to a service visit, and haven't taken it up, get in contact
with them - you never know!

Advertising is legalized lying. - H.G. Wells
carolet
2020-09-24 19:11:31 UTC
[...]
I also cancelled a BG contract earlier in the year. When they emailed,
in May, to say that it would be renewed in June, I phoned to say no
thanks, and could I have a refund in lieu of the service that would be
owed to me. They said that wouldn't be possible but they would still
carry out the service in due course, and I was quite happy with that.
(They also said they weren't doing services at that time only emergency
repairs.)

About 2 days after the contract expired they emailed to tell me to go
online to book a service. That wasn't possible as my account had been
removed, so I phoned them and the sevice was booked for a few days
later. It was the speediest booking of a service for many a year.