UMRA birthday info for 8 October 2019
Add Reply
Birthday Monitor
2019-10-08 06:18:30 UTC
Birthday News for today, 8 October: Rosemary Miskin.
Tony Smith Gloucestershire
2019-10-08 06:33:42 UTC
Enjoy the day. "Gaiety, song-and-dance; here we go round the mulberry bush," said Eeyore.
Sid Nuncius
2019-10-08 06:58:52 UTC
Post by Birthday Monitor
Birthday News for today, 8 October: Rosemary Miskin.
Happy birthday, MOPMOB!
2019-10-08 08:28:53 UTC
On Tue, 8 Oct 2019 07:58:52 +0100, Sid Nuncius
Post by Sid Nuncius
Post by Birthday Monitor
Birthday News for today, 8 October: Rosemary Miskin.
Happy birthday, MOPMOB!
The name is sort of familiar but i don't remember any posts by
Rosemary. Happy birthday though if you still read umra.
Rosemary Miskin
2019-10-08 10:34:38 UTC
The name is sort of familiar but I don't remember any posts by
Rosemary.  Happy birthday though if you still read umra.
Still here after many years, tho' not posting often.

Thank you all for your good wishes - nice day so far, and lunch out
to enjoy later.

Rosemary
Vicky Ayech
2019-10-08 13:42:36 UTC
On Tue, 8 Oct 2019 03:34:38 -0700 (PDT), Rosemary Miskin
Post by Rosemary Miskin
The name is sort of familiar but I don't remember any posts by
Rosemary.  Happy birthday though if you still read umra.
Still here after many years, tho' not posting often.
Thank you all for your good wishes - nice day so far, and lunch out
to enjoy later.
Rosemary
Oh good, still here. I suppose after lunch out tea at Fallon's is too
much but what about gin cocktails at The Bull later? :)
John Ashby
2019-10-08 15:32:46 UTC
Post by Rosemary Miskin
The name is sort of familiar but I don't remember any posts by
Rosemary.  Happy birthday though if you still read umra.
Still here after many years, tho' not posting often.
Thank you all for your good wishes - nice day so far, and lunch out
to enjoy later.
Rosemary
Oh good, still here. I suppose after lunch out tea at Fallon's is too
much but what about gin cocktails at The Bull later? :)
Look out, it's a trap!

john
Tony Smith Gloucestershire
2019-10-11 10:37:57 UTC
<snipped>
Oh good, still here. I suppose after lunch out tea at Fallon's is too
much but what about gin cocktails at The Bull later? :)
Look out, it's a trap!
<snipped>

When I was in Belfast I had a Roman Catholic friend (an Englishman) who had some quote from his bible to the effect that "mine enemies have prepared a gin for me in a secret place".

I imagine his bible would have been the Douay-Rheims translation but I have googled in vain for the phrase. Job 18 10 is faintly similar.
Penny
2019-10-11 13:32:52 UTC
On Fri, 11 Oct 2019 03:37:57 -0700 (PDT), Tony Smith Gloucestershire
Post by Tony Smith Gloucestershire
<snipped>
Oh good, still here. I suppose after lunch out tea at Fallon's is too
much but what about gin cocktails at The Bull later? :)
Look out, it's a trap!
<snipped>
When I was in Belfast I had a Roman Catholic friend (an Englishman) who had some quote from his bible to the effect that "mine enemies have prepared a gin for me in a secret place".
I imagine his bible would have been the Douay-Rheims translation but I have googled in vain for the phrase. Job 18 10 is faintly similar.
Since gin is synonymous with trap I think it may be from psalm 35
Brenton Septuagint Translation
Let a snare which they know not come upon them; and the gin which they hid
take them; and let them fall into the very same snare.
or 141
English Revised Version
Keep me from the snare which they have laid for me, and from the gins of
the workers of iniquity.
Rosemary Miskin
2019-10-11 16:53:34 UTC
Penny quoted
from the gins of the workers of iniquity.
The Fairbrethren?

Rosemary
Chris McMillan
2019-10-12 10:49:16 UTC
Post by Rosemary Miskin
Penny quoted
from the gins of the workers of iniquity.
The Fairbrethren?
Rosemary
Rotflmao. You’re not wrong there, Rosemary.

Sincerely Chris
Tony Smith Gloucestershire
2019-10-11 23:06:56 UTC
Penny, I had not heard of Benton's translation of the LXX. Most likely I have misremembered the quote and my friend was using Douai - remember he is an RC - at Job 18 10.

But I like the quote from the RV psalm 141 and Rosemary's comment.
Penny
2019-10-12 08:43:13 UTC
On Fri, 11 Oct 2019 16:06:56 -0700 (PDT), Tony Smith Gloucestershire
Post by Tony Smith Gloucestershire
Penny, I had not heard of Benton's translation of the LXX.
Most likely I have misremembered the quote and my friend was using
Douai - remember he is an RC - at Job 18 10.
I just googled the phrase and was lead to a page which showed one verse at
a time with a huge list of different translations. Until I read your post
I'd never heard of Douai.
2019-10-12 10:51:29 UTC
On Fri, 11 Oct 2019 16:06:56 -0700 (PDT), Tony Smith Gloucestershire
Post by Tony Smith Gloucestershire
Penny, I had not heard of Benton's translation of the LXX.
Most likely I have misremembered the quote and my friend was using
Douai - remember he is an RC - at Job 18 10.
I just googled the phrase and was lead to a page which showed one verse at
a time with a huge list of different translations. Until I read your post
I'd never heard of Douai.
Post by Tony Smith Gloucestershire
But I like the quote from the RV psalm 141 and Rosemary's comment.
Douai is the name of somewhere in France, the original Benedictine monks
were in Paris, went to Douai post French Revolution who came to Britain and
they have an abbey near here that we’ve been to as it’s used as a modern
concert venue.

http://www.douaiabbey.org.uk

2019-10-12 11:22:27 UTC
On Fri, 11 Oct 2019 16:06:56 -0700 (PDT), Tony Smith Gloucestershire
Post by Tony Smith Gloucestershire
Penny, I had not heard of Benton's translation of the LXX.
Most likely I have misremembered the quote and my friend was using
Douai - remember he is an RC - at Job 18 10.
I just googled the phrase and was lead to a page which showed one verse at
a time with a huge list of different translations. Until I read your post
I'd never heard of Douai.
Post by Tony Smith Gloucestershire
But I like the quote from the RV psalm 141 and Rosemary's comment.
Douai is the name of somewhere in France, the original Benedictine monks
were in Paris, went to Douai post French Revolution who came to Britain and
they have an abbey near here that we’ve been to as it’s used as a modern
concert venue.
http://www.douaiabbey.org.uk
It's a wonderful space for choral music especially. But the Douai
connection is much older than the French revolution when the
Benedictines arrived: it was where many English Catholics fled from the
16th century onwards to study at the English College of the university
there. They published an English translation of the Bible even before
the King James Version. They were finally ejected from France in the
early 20th century, in fact, which was when Douai Abbey here was built.

Sincerely Chris
Tony Smith Gloucestershire
2019-10-13 14:29:26 UTC
On Saturday, 12 October 2019 09:43:15 UTC+1, Penny wrote:
<snipped>
Post by Penny
Until I read your post
I'd never heard of Douai.
<snipped>

The utility of the Douai version to singers is that the numbering of the psalms is the same as in the Vulgate, so if your choir is singing a Latin Psalm you can at once find the English. To use the AV a look-up table is needed (though there is one on wickedpedia)
Chris McMillan
2019-10-12 10:49:15 UTC
[...]
King James

The snare is laid for him in the ground, and a trap for him in the way.

But had I not known gin is another word for trap, I’d have been
discombobulated!

Sincerely Chris
Min
2019-10-08 22:55:53 UTC
Post by Rosemary Miskin
Still here after many years, tho' not posting often.
Thank you all for your good wishes - nice day so far, and lunch out
to enjoy later.
Rosemary
Just sneaked in with 6 minutes to go! Happy Birthday!
--
Min