BBC Sounds
2019-10-20 10:59:33 UTC
I loved BBC Radio iPlayer and, like many, strongly dislike the Sounds app.
I just can't find my way around.

However, what I really missed was easy access to the schedule. I don't
always know _what_ I've missed, certainly not by name, so can't easily
search for it, I just know _when_ I've missed.

I've found the schedule on the website, which is helpful but I now want to
download stuff to listen to while gardening - my wifi doesn't 'stream' well
in the garden.

The last 'spokeperson' for it on Feedback said it was easy to download -
blowed if I can see how :(
There is a Downloads link which takes me away from the programme page of
interest and I cannot then find it amongst the offerings for the station
and 'category'.

Have I missed something or are recent broadcasts no longer downloadable?
2019-10-20 11:09:41 UTC
I loved BBC Radio iPlayer and, like many, strongly dislike the Sounds app.
I just can't find my way around.
However, what I really missed was easy access to the schedule. I don't
always know _what_ I've missed, certainly not by name, so can't easily
search for it, I just know _when_ I've missed.
I've found the schedule on the website, which is helpful but I now want to
download stuff to listen to while gardening - my wifi doesn't 'stream' well
in the garden.
The last 'spokeperson' for it on Feedback said it was easy to download -
blowed if I can see how :(
There is a Downloads link which takes me away from the programme page of
interest and I cannot then find it amongst the offerings for the station
and 'category'.
Have I missed something or are recent broadcasts no longer downloadable?
On my phone (android) you hit "See all stations and schedules" on the
front page.

And the schedule is found for the station by hitting the calendar icon
on the right.

If I then go to the past day concerned and go down and select a
programme there are various possibilities
A large arrow to play
A microphone to subscribe
A small arrow to download
Three dots for "more" what ever that is.

Does that help?
2019-10-20 12:10:04 UTC
On Sun, 20 Oct 2019 12:09:41 +0100, krw <***@whitnet.uk> scrawled in the
dust...
[...]
Aha, the app has changed since I last looked, thanks.

However, when gardening I like to listen on my phone (my Zen Touch is
broken) - it's easy to carry in my pocket so I don't get out-of-range as I
do when using bluetooth headphones from my tablet (great when vacuuming or
other noisy indoor activity).

I don't do apps on my phone but can transfer sound files there from my PC.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0009bn8
shows no download link and if I click on 'How to download from the iPlayer
Radio app' on the right, I get an "Oops something went wrong" aka 404 page.

They just don't want to help me, do they?

I then followed another link and found
"Can I download radio programmes on my computer?
Unfortunately you can't download full radio programmes to your computer but
we're aware of interest in this."

So that answers that (why was it so hard?)

They have presumably spent a lot of time and money developing this new app
which still seems to be in beta. Removed the one which worked well and
removed functionality from the website too. Bravo BBC :((

They asked me to complete a survey so I had a good rant there.
2019-10-20 19:03:09 UTC
In message <***@4ax.com>, Penny
<***@labyrinth.freeuk.com> writes:
I don't do apps on my phone but can transfer sound files there from my PC.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0009bn8
shows no download link and if I click on 'How to download from the iPlayer
Radio app' on the right, I get an "Oops something went wrong" aka 404 page.
If they've removed iPlayer, that probably means they've just forgotten
there are still links to it.
"Can I download radio programmes on my computer?
Unfortunately you can't download full radio programmes to your computer but
we're aware of interest in this."
So that answers that (why was it so hard?)
They have presumably spent a lot of time and money developing this new app
which still seems to be in beta. Removed the one which worked well and
removed functionality from the website too. Bravo BBC :((
I'm _guessing_ it has to do with copyright concerns.

FWIW: I never downloaded from iPlayer. And you _can_ download full
prog.s - _if_ they've been made into a podcast. When I miss TA, I just
go to http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/series/archers (which turns into
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006qpgr/episodes/downloads, but I
don't worry about that), and download no problem. But I am aware that
not all prog.s are offered as podcasts, and I suspect even where they
are, they try to stop you finding them. But when they are - at least
where you've kept a URL - it's a _lot_ less bother.
Post by Penny
They asked me to complete a survey so I had a good rant there.
(-:
--

Three- (or four-) way referendum, if we _have_ to have another one -
***with second choices taken into account***

We'd agreed to overlook each others' families and everything, and get married"
(The Trouble with Harry)
Nick Odell
2019-10-20 22:30:51 UTC
[...]
I use the same route as Mr Plusnet of this parish to collect radio
programmes for later listening. AIUI the migration from iPlayer Radio
to BBC Sounds has annoyed an awful lot of people because their new
software only works on the latest model of phone with the latest
software. It's disenfranchised an awful lot of want-to-be loyal
listeners.

2019-10-20 22:41:01 UTC
In message <***@4ax.com>, Nick Odell
<***@themusicworkshop.plus.com> writes:
I use the same route as Mr Plusnet of this parish to collect radio
programmes for later listening. AIUI the migration from iPlayer Radio
to BBC Sounds has annoyed an awful lot of people because their new
software only works on the latest model of phone with the latest
software. It's disenfranchised an awful lot of want-to-be loyal
listeners.
Yes, but such people don't matter, do they?

Three- (or four-) way referendum, if we _have_ to have another one -
***with second choices taken into account***

If you're worried that your house is haunted by a ghost and might need
exorcising, there's an easy way of working out if it is or it isn't: it isn't.
- Victoria Coren Mitchell, quoted in RT 2017/10/7-13
Mike
2019-10-21 07:21:40 UTC
I use the same route as Mr Plusnet of this parish to collect radio
programmes for later listening. AIUI the migration from iPlayer Radio
to BBC Sounds has annoyed an awful lot of people because their new
software only works on the latest model of phone with the latest
software. It's disenfranchised an awful lot of want-to-be loyal
listeners.
Yes, but such people don't matter, do they?
Three- (or four-) way referendum, if we _have_ to have another one -
***with second choices taken into account***
Any more than they do for licence payers wishing to listen to the radio 3
and 4 progs. around the house via Amazon Echos or dots in multi-speaker
mode.:-(((
2019-10-21 09:04:43 UTC
On Mon, 21 Oct 2019 07:21:40 GMT, Mike <***@ntlworld.com> scrawled
in the dust...
I use the same route as Mr Plusnet of this parish to collect radio
programmes for later listening. AIUI the migration from iPlayer Radio
to BBC Sounds has annoyed an awful lot of people because their new
software only works on the latest model of phone with the latest
software. It's disenfranchised an awful lot of want-to-be loyal
listeners.
Yes, but such people don't matter, do they?
Three- (or four-) way referendum, if we _have_ to have another one -
***with second choices taken into account***
Any more than they do for licence payers wishing to listen to the radio 3
and 4 progs. around the house via Amazon Echos or dots in multi-speaker
mode.:-(((
I don't have such technology but for a while tried to listen to 4extra in
one room on satellite TV and another on a DAB radio - the echo-effect in
the hall between the two was intolerable :(

Mined ewe, the TV in the kitchen now lags behind the one in the living room
again (it was OK for a while). Not sure which bit of tech is causing the
delay now as the kitchen TV is fed via coax cable from the same receiver.
It does have to go through a (different*) VCR as there is no RF out on the
satellite box.

*the VCR which didn't introduce delay died a while ago.
2019-10-21 13:00:07 UTC
I don't have such technology but for a while tried to listen to 4extra in
one room on satellite TV and another on a DAB radio - the echo-effect in
the hall between the two was intolerable :(
Mined ewe, the TV in the kitchen now lags behind the one in the living room
again (it was OK for a while). Not sure which bit of tech is causing the
delay now as the kitchen TV is fed via coax cable from the same receiver.
It does have to go through a (different*) VCR as there is no RF out on the
satellite box.
*the VCR which didn't introduce delay died a while ago.
I believe that individual examples of the same technology exhibit
different delays because they use different D to A processes and
components. After all, nobody normally[1] minds if Brand A DAB
receiver runs at <Real Time>-1sec and Brand B DAB at <Real
Time>-1.5sec. Then you have the different lags between DAB and Sat and
Cable. Even if you are using identical pieces of kit you are going to
start having audio issues if one is more than about 20 yards further
away from you than the other one.

Nick
[1]Unless you are trying to set a watch to the Greenwich Time Signal
in which case the advice given on that radio programme about The Pips"
some years ago was to use the LW signal if possible
Chris J Dixon
2019-10-21 13:21:44 UTC
I believe that individual examples of the same technology exhibit
different delays because they use different D to A processes and
components. After all, nobody normally[1] minds if Brand A DAB
receiver runs at <Real Time>-1sec and Brand B DAB at <Real
Time>-1.5sec. Then you have the different lags between DAB and Sat and
Cable. Even if you are using identical pieces of kit you are going to
start having audio issues if one is more than about 20 yards further
away from you than the other one.
Indeed so. I now have a tuner that receives Internet radio, and
an Echo Show 5, and they both have a delay nearer a minute, which
can create a certain déjà vu when moving about the house.

When on holiday in Germany this summer, we happened across a
local music station (1) whose playlist made good listening. I now
sometimes choose it, and find that, because I don't really
understand the adverts, they don't annoy me anything like as much
as they would if it was an English station.

(1) SWR1 Baden-Württemberg

***@cdixon.me.uk @ChrisJDixon1
Plant amazing Acers.
SODAM
2019-10-21 19:46:44 UTC
Post by Chris J Dixon
When on holiday in Germany this summer, we happened across a
local music station (1) whose playlist made good listening. I now
sometimes choose it, and find that, because I don't really
understand the adverts, they don't annoy me anything like as much
as they would if it was an English station.
My beef with Sounds is that I’ve lost the plus and minus 20 seconds
buttons. I think very occasionally they come on a screen that appears very
rarely but mostly I don’t see them. I used to use that feature very often.
If I had to let Bingo into the garden, I could wind back 40 seconds and not
miss any of my programme. Similarly, with something of which I had heard
half, It wasn’t necessary to hear the whole thing again but just take it to
the point that was new. Now I usually just imagine how things may have
continued because I can’t face hearing it all again.

Do any otherats find that?
--
SODAM
The thinking umrat’s choice for editor
BrritSki
2019-10-21 20:14:28 UTC
Post by SODAM
Post by Chris J Dixon
[...]
No, I can see that on my SOunds app.

OTOH, I cannot get subtitles when I catchup a TV program, so we'll have
to wait for a broadcast version of future episodes of Giri/Haji.
Kate B
2019-10-22 10:00:55 UTC
Post by Chris J Dixon
[...]
Are you watching on Iplayer? If you hover over the image there's a strip
along the bottom with the second/minute count, next to that is a
cogwheel, then the subtitle square, then a fullscreen option. Are you
not seeing that? I tried this by going onto BBC news and clicking
Iplayer. It works fine on the apps we have as well (tablet, tv, and
Firestick)
2019-10-22 10:22:19 UTC
Post by Kate B
Post by BrritSki
Post by Chris J Dixon
[...]
No, I don't have a problem with iPlayer on laptop, this is when I use
catchup on my SmartTV/Sky and subtitles are not available even when you
turn them on :(

But I guess that is a Sky issue rather than the Beeb...

carolet
2019-10-21 22:19:32 UTC
Post by SODAM
Post by Chris J Dixon
[...]
If you touch the black oval shape that tells you what is playing, it
opens up to fill the screen. On this screen there are plus & minus 20
seconds buttons. There is also a red line that tells you how far through
the programme you are, you can slide the marker on this line to go back
or forth (or back only if the programme is live).
2019-10-22 05:38:57 UTC
Post by Chris J Dixon
[...]
On mine (Android), there's a black bar toward the bottom of the screen.
If I touch that it gives the screen you describe, complete with +20s and
-20s buttons. Kate very kindly told me how to get to that screen and
I'm pretty happy with Sounds now.
Kosmo
2019-10-21 08:32:27 UTC
Post by Penny
other noisy indoor activity).
I don't do apps on my phone but can transfer sound files there from my PC.
I can download to the phone. BBC take the view that pc users do not
need to download as they can simply hit the play button and only
provide download facilities to mobile devices for people on the move.

Put the app on your phone. The Sounds app does not create a single
file but many files which only the app can unscramble.
Kosmo
Penny
2019-10-21 10:40:59 UTC
On Mon, 21 Oct 2019 09:32:27 +0100, Kosmo <***@whitnet.uk> scrawled in
the dust...
I don't do apps on my phone but can transfer sound files there from
my PC.
I can download to the phone. BBC take the view that pc users do not
need to download as they can simply hit the play button and only
provide download facilities to mobile devices for people on the move.
Put the app on your phone. The Sounds app does not create a single
file but many files which only the app can unscramble.
As I said, I don't use apps on my phone - no data usage.

Maybe it's time to find out if all those radio plays I taped in the '80s
still work and can be digitised. Although these other radio download sites
should be investigated first. At least 'Sounds' can tell me the names of
what I'm looking for.
2019-10-21 14:36:36 UTC
As I said, I don't use apps on my phone - no data usage.
If one connects the phone to your home wireless wifi there is no need
for any data usage.

And for example when I responded earlier from the phone (Kosmo as
opposed to KRW) that was using the hospital wifi at Royal Surrey Hospital.

I download podcasts and TA to the phone almost always using wifi (but
can use data when away).

Does this help?
2019-10-22 07:16:41 UTC
On Mon, 21 Oct 2019 15:36:36 +0100, krw <***@whitnet.uk> scrawled in the
dust...
As I said, I don't use apps on my phone - no data usage.
If one connects the phone to your home wireless wifi there is no need
for any data usage.
And for example when I responded earlier from the phone (Kosmo as
opposed to KRW) that was using the hospital wifi at Royal Surrey Hospital.
I download podcasts and TA to the phone almost always using wifi (but
can use data when away).
Does this help?
Sadly, no.
I think the main reason this particular phone was handed-up by d#2 was
because it will not connect to wifi. One day I may actually buy myself a
phone but I tend to use it mostly as a pocket radio, calendar and alarm
clock - for which purposes it works well.
2019-10-20 18:32:48 UTC
I loved BBC Radio iPlayer and, like many, strongly dislike the Sounds app.
I just can't find my way around.
However, what I really missed was easy access to the schedule. I don't
always know _what_ I've missed, certainly not by name, so can't easily
search for it, I just know _when_ I've missed.
I've found the schedule on the website, which is helpful but I now want to
download stuff to listen to while gardening - my wifi doesn't 'stream' well
in the garden.
The last 'spokeperson' for it on Feedback said it was easy to download -
blowed if I can see how :(
There is a Downloads link which takes me away from the programme page of
interest and I cannot then find it amongst the offerings for the station
and 'category'.
Have I missed something or are recent broadcasts no longer downloadable?
At least for the moment, get_iplayer still works (along with Web PVR
Manager) so I just download any and all tv & radio programmes that
interest me for later consumption.

That does lead to other problems, since I now have well over 1Tb of such
material on this machine.
Mike Headon
2019-10-21 10:47:55 UTC
[...]
OK, I am a bit slow on the uptake (on one other newsgroup I am
considered a "sentimental old gimmer") but I just play the prog and
record it on Total Recorder (cheap lifetime licence, other recorders are
available).
--
Mike Headon
R69S R850R
2019-10-21 19:40:39 UTC
Post by Mike Headon
[...]
All roads lead to Rome.
Any method that suits you (Sir) is a good method.