ask EU: Bluetooth headphones
2021-07-10 08:52:03 UTC
Just wondered if any umrats had recommendations for Bluetooth headphones
for dearly beloved (whoops! autocorrect changed that to deadly beloved) for
connecting to his iPad. He tends to wear the ones he has (wired) over his
hearing aids so they need to be on ear or over the ear. He also has no
feeling in his fingers so no fiddly controls on the actual headphones. He
did try out some bluetooth hearing aids but the controls were beyond him. I
have looked at the Which? reviews but since I know umrats Know Everything I
thought there just might be some input here!
2021-07-10 09:13:18 UTC
Just wondered if any umrats had recommendations for Bluetooth headphones
for dearly beloved (whoops! autocorrect changed that to deadly beloved) for
connecting to his iPad. He tends to wear the ones he has (wired) over his
hearing aids so they need to be on ear or over the ear. He also has no
feeling in his fingers so no fiddly controls on the actual headphones. He
did try out some bluetooth hearing aids but the controls were beyond him. I
have looked at the Which? reviews but since I know umrats Know Everything I
thought there just might be some input here!
I have two pairs which I love, but they're in the £250 - £300 range,
which may be more than he wants to spend.[1] Just in case it's any use,
they are:
Bowers & Wilkins PX7
and
V-Moda Crossfade 2

I find the V-Moda more comfortable; their styling is a bit Starwars
Stormtrooper while the B&W look much more elegant. Style doesn't bother
me much, though, comfort is a matter of personal fit and the sound on
both the V-Moda and the B&W is excellent.

(I have tried both with Bluetooth and it's fine, but I normally use them
wired - just because I'm an old fogey with a non-Bluetooth mp3 player.)

Just my...er...rather more than two penn'orth. HTH a bit.

[1] I had the immense good fortune to be sent both for review (just as
my lovely old Bose QC2s were beginning to falter), so I didn't have to
fork out for them.
--
Sid
2021-07-10 09:36:04 UTC
[...]
Thanks Sid. I was going to buy them as a present, so a bit pricey for me!
He has trouble with wired ones hence the wireless option.
Peter Withey
2021-07-10 10:32:18 UTC
On 10 Jul 2021 08:52:03 GMT, Sally Thompson
Post by Sally Thompson
Just wondered if any umrats had recommendations for Bluetooth headphones
for dearly beloved (whoops! autocorrect changed that to deadly beloved) for
connecting to his iPad. He tends to wear the ones he has (wired) over his
hearing aids so they need to be on ear or over the ear. He also has no
feeling in his fingers so no fiddly controls on the actual headphones. He
did try out some bluetooth hearing aids but the controls were beyond him. I
have looked at the Which? reviews but since I know umrats Know Everything I
thought there just might be some input here!
FWIW The August EP650B were recommended to me and I'm very happy
with them.

Here's one review, there are others out there.

https://www.maxyourhometime.com/august-ep650-review/

They are available on eBay for around £40. This is one example. Ignore
the £8.95 that's for the case only. If you need one, I didn't.

The eBay url is much too long so I've included a shortened version.

https://tinyurl.com/4d5huxy2

Hope this helps.
Pete
Sally Thompson
2021-07-10 12:08:54 UTC
Post by Sally Thompson
[...]
Thank you so much. It does help! A good price too on Amazon (don't like
buying electronics on eBay much).
2021-07-10 16:54:56 UTC
On Sat, 10 Jul 2021 at 12:08:54, Sally Thompson
Post by Peter Withey
The eBay url is much too long so I've included a shortened version.
https://tinyurl.com/4d5huxy2
Hope this helps.
An ebay URL like
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/164914050564?hash=item2665a4b604:g:73oAAOSwrJNgyI6A
(or often MUCH longer) can usually be trimmed from (and including) the
first question mark - i. e.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/164914050564 for my example.
Post by Sally Thompson
Thank you so much. It does help! A good price too on Amazon (don't like
buying electronics on eBay much).
I've had varying experience; "buying on ebay" is really just buying from
one of millions of sellers. I tend these days to specify UK-only - not
only because of better legal protection, but faster delivery. Where
there _have_ been problems, I've nearly always had a refund, often with
"keep it anyway" - sometimes combined with a replacement being sent, so
I end up with two - albeit one having a fault I wouldn't have paid the
asking price for, but effectively free.

(For example, a car battery charger where the mains lead is half as long
as the listing showed - I got a full refund and they didn't want it
back; I just have to park closer to my bedroom window than I'd planned
[see Loading Image... for pic] - it
works fine.)

As for the headphones - I've now spent several days with my 50p
Poundland ones on for many hours, and am still impressed with them! Not
bluetooth, though. Over-ear, not in-ear.

But this can only happen if we replace the urge to blame with the urge to
learn so that it is safe for staff to admit errors and raise concerns without
the fear of being punished.
- Former MI5 boss Eliza Manningham-Buller, RT 2016/5/7-13
Sally Thompson
2021-07-10 12:28:55 UTC
Post by Sally Thompson
[...]
Just as a follow up, the reviews are mostly great but I can't work out
whether there's a built in microphone for phone calls.
Peter Withey
2021-07-11 10:16:27 UTC
On 10 Jul 2021 17:50:26 GMT, Sally Thompson
Post by Sally Thompson
[...]
You learn something new every day. I've used them with the phone but
never thought about being able to receive and answer calls with them.
I'vee been playing and yes, all works as advertised. Thanks.
Pete
Sally Thompson
2021-07-12 08:36:00 UTC
Post by Sally Thompson
[...]
Thank you so much for the recommendation. Bought on Saturday, arrived
yesterday and OH very pleased with them. Has been happily watching stuff
on his iPad, and answered a phone call too! Just right for him. So thanks!
2021-07-12 09:20:41 UTC
Post by Sally Thompson
[...]
Now that we have solved the original problem can someone tell me in
audio terms if using Bluetooth actually reaches "hi-fi" quality? Indeed
is there a definition of "hi-fi" quality?

Being very old I can remember when Capital Radio said that they were
achieving hi-fi because they had ditched vinyl and were only
broadcasting CD originated material on FM - with all these electronic
digital signals these days it is hard to know what is what. I believe
mp3 is not regarded as hi-fi and flac is - but what does that mean when
it comes to Bluetooth - and I assume high bitrate wifi does quality?

After all umra knows everything.
2021-07-12 09:51:06 UTC
Post by Sally Thompson
[...]
In a GQT programme some years ago, one of the panellists was giving a very
long and tortuous reply to a question - at the end of the reply another
panellist (of Yorkshire origins!) just retorted: ‘No, I don’t know either.’

This was a intro to my reply, which is:

I suspect that the Bluetooth is the protocol rather than the arbiter of the
quality. By that I mean that I suspect that Bluetooth does the
communicating and software dictates the performance; I suspect that the
software can be made to perform to a high standard (or not!) depending on
design factors. SumRat will be along who has more knowledge of the subject
shortly, I feel sure KRW.
Toodle Pip, Mike McMillan
Sid Nuncius
2021-07-12 14:47:07 UTC
Now that we have solved the original problem can someone tell me in
audio terms if using Bluetooth actually reaches "hi-fi" quality?  Indeed
is there a definition of "hi-fi" quality?
My definition of hi-fi is "sounds good to me". And I liked a remark
made to me by someone once, "I'm not an audiophile; I like to listen to
music, not my equipment."

Umrats will, of course, be familiar with A Song Of Reproduction by
Flanders and Swann:

--
Sid
2021-07-12 17:53:17 UTC
Umrats will, of course, be familiar with A Song Of Reproduction by
http://youtu.be/7fJmmDkvQyc
Oh dear, have I failed a qualification for Umraticity> - I've not heard
that one before. Liked it, of course.
Wrexham, UK
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2021-07-13 00:57:16 UTC
Now that we have solved the original problem can someone tell me in
audio terms if using Bluetooth actually reaches "hi-fi" quality?
Indeed is there a definition of "hi-fi" quality?
My definition of hi-fi is "sounds good to me". And I liked a remark
made to me by someone once, "I'm not an audiophile; I like to listen to
music, not my equipment."
Umrats will, of course, be familiar with A Song Of Reproduction by
http://youtu.be/7fJmmDkvQyc
And this from the 1970s ...

We all have an expiry date on us, but it's usually in a difficult place to
read. - Steve Hague in UMRA, 2020-11-3
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2021-07-13 00:52:35 UTC
On Mon, 12 Jul 2021 at 10:20:41, krw <***@whitnet.uk> wrote (my
Being very old I can remember when Capital Radio said that they were
achieving hi-fi because they had ditched vinyl and were only
broadcasting CD originated material on FM - with all these electronic
digital signals these days it is hard to know what is what. I believe
mp3 is not regarded as hi-fi and flac is - but what does that mean when
it comes to Bluetooth - and I assume high bitrate wifi does quality?
After all umra knows everything.
I'll only answer parts:

mp3 - and the earlier mp2 used by DAB - _can_ be hifi, or not; it
depends on the bitrate and the original material; IMO/E, stereo material
with components up to 15 kHz sampled at 44100, which covers the majority
of material extracted from YouTube, is fine at a data rate of 96 kbps as
long as it doesn't contain bursts of white noise or long applause. Other
material - especially old and/or mono - can be encoded at much lower
rates (anyone interested ask me for details) with no _degradation_.
(Whether that counts as hifi, I leave to you.)

mp3 _can_ distort horribly, if too low a data rate is used.

(mp2 - DAB - follows the same answer; it just needs a higher bitrate to
work. From what I've read, it hardly ever gets what it needs on DAB,
except sometimes on Radio 3.)

Bluetooth is a transmission protocol. You can pass good or bad mp3 files
over it (or any other form of data).

"Scheisse," said Pooh, trying out his German.
Peter Withey
2021-07-12 09:34:21 UTC
Post by Sally Thompson
[...]
Thanks, that's great to hear. I hope he continues to enjoy them.
--
Pete