Umra book club - Man Booker long list
2018-07-24 09:55:33 UTC
I see that the Man Booker long list has been released:

https://themanbookerprize.com/fiction/news/man-booker-prize-2018-longlist-announced

The only one I've read is the Richard Powers which is very good. Have
umrats read any of the others on the list?
2018-07-24 18:10:25 UTC
Post by LFS
https://themanbookerprize.com/fiction/news/man-booker-prize-2018-longlist-announced
The only one I've read is the Richard Powers which is very good. Have
umrats read any of the others on the list?
Nope - I've not read any of them. (Nice to see Belinda Bauer there;
I've rather enjoyed a couple of her thrillers in the past.)
Fred
2018-07-24 20:23:51 UTC
Post by LFS
https://themanbookerprize.com/fiction/news/man-booker-prize-2018-longlist-announced
The only one I've read is the Richard Powers which is very good. Have
umrats read any of the others on the list?
I am in a book group and try to choose books that will "stir them up" stuff they wouldn't otherwise read.
I'm tempted to offer the graphic novel; "What do you mean, 'It's a comic'?" "It's on the long list, it must be literature"

Fred
Btms
2018-07-25 07:11:09 UTC
Post by Fred
Post by LFS
https://themanbookerprize.com/fiction/news/man-booker-prize-2018-longlist-announced
The only one I've read is the Richard Powers which is very good. Have
umrats read any of the others on the list?
I am in a book group and try to choose books that will "stir them up"
stuff they wouldn't otherwise read.
I'm tempted to offer the graphic novel; "What do you mean, 'It's a
comic'?" "It's on the long list, it must be literature"
Fred
I like discussing Eng Lit but make* so little time to read i prefer to
choose rather than be “set homework”.

*I say make because I find it hard to believe I have so little time for it.
My Father would speak of the value of reading but could be unpleasant when
seeing folk reading much suggesting it was time wasting. Looking back, I
think he didn’t like competing for attention. He enjoyed conversation.
2018-07-25 10:02:27 UTC
Post by Fred
Post by LFS
https://themanbookerprize.com/fiction/news/man-booker-prize-2018-longlist-announced
The only one I've read is the Richard Powers which is very good. Have
umrats read any of the others on the list?
I am in a book group and try to choose books that will "stir them up"
stuff they wouldn't otherwise read.
I'm tempted to offer the graphic novel; "What do you mean, 'It's a
comic'?" "It's on the long list, it must be literature"
Fred
I like discussing Eng Lit but make* so little time to read i prefer to
choose rather than be “set homework”.
I belonged to a book group for about fifteen years. I read quite a few
books which other people chose that I would never have read otherwise
but enjoyed very few of them and as the group expanded the quality of
the discussion deteriorated and I left at the point where someone who
had chosen that month's book said she hadn't actually read the book but
she'd seen the film instead and everyone else agreed that this was fine...

I love being retired and able to spend whole days reading fiction - my
idea of heaven.
2018-07-25 13:44:43 UTC
Post by LFS
Post by Fred
Post by LFS
[...]
My idea of sheer luxury is being able to read fiction before lunch. I
don't think I've managed it for years.
2018-07-26 02:59:18 UTC
Post by Kate B
My idea of sheer luxury is being able to read fiction before lunch. I
don't think I've managed it for years.
My mum thought anyone who did that was very slack on the domestic front.
I think she secretly thought reading fiction at all was a sign of a weak
character: she only ever read biographies.
2018-07-26 08:39:35 UTC
Post by LFS
Post by Kate B
My idea of sheer luxury is being able to read fiction before lunch. I
don't think I've managed it for years.
My mum thought anyone who did that was very slack on the domestic front.
I think she secretly thought reading fiction at all was a sign of a weak
character: she only ever read biographies.
Yes. My Father was similar; unless it was he who was reading! I sensed he
felt deprived of attention.
2018-07-26 12:53:47 UTC
Post by LFS
Post by Kate B
My idea of sheer luxury is being able to read fiction before lunch. I
don't think I've managed it for years.
My mum thought anyone who did that was very slack on the domestic front.
I think she secretly thought reading fiction at all was a sign of a weak
character: she only ever read biographies.
Not many years ago after dad died, my mum was persuaded to put the radio on
to keep her motivated first thing. Then she admitted to enjoying the 9am
sequences but feeling she had to be ‘doing’. We used to say she could
please herself in her later years. Now she refuses to have it on at all,
and cannot do much but sit .....

2018-07-26 13:49:26 UTC
Post by LFS
Post by Kate B
My idea of sheer luxury is being able to read fiction before lunch. I
don't think I've managed it for years.
My mum thought anyone who did that was very slack on the domestic front.
I think she secretly thought reading fiction at all was a sign of a weak
character: she only ever read biographies.
Not many years ago after dad died, my mum was persuaded to put the radio on
to keep her motivated first thing. Then she admitted to enjoying the 9am
sequences but feeling she had to be ‘doing’. We used to say she could
please herself in her later years. Now she refuses to have it on at all,
and cannot do much but sit .....
Sincerely Chris
The wonderful thing about radio as opposed to tv is that you *can* be
doing while you're listening. I don't know how I'd ever get through any
housework without it, either live or podcast.
2018-07-27 00:11:44 UTC
Post by LFS
Post by Kate B
My idea of sheer luxury is being able to read fiction before lunch. I
don't think I've managed it for years.
My mum thought anyone who did that was very slack on the domestic front.
I think she secretly thought reading fiction at all was a sign of a weak
character: she only ever read biographies.
I don't read nearly enough these days. But of late, I've been
rereading my Chalet School books. I read before lunch at the
weekends. And yes, I am very slack on the domestic front. The house
is in enough of a state that even if I spent entire weekends on
domestic duties, it wouldn't make enough difference to make it worth
not spending my time reading!
2018-07-27 09:08:50 UTC
On Fri, 27 Jul 2018 01:11:44 +0100, Fenny
Post by Fenny
Post by LFS
Post by Kate B
My idea of sheer luxury is being able to read fiction before lunch. I
don't think I've managed it for years.
My mum thought anyone who did that was very slack on the domestic front.
I think she secretly thought reading fiction at all was a sign of a weak
character: she only ever read biographies.
I don't read nearly enough these days. But of late, I've been
rereading my Chalet School books. I read before lunch at the
weekends. And yes, I am very slack on the domestic front. The house
is in enough of a state that even if I spent entire weekends on
domestic duties, it wouldn't make enough difference to make it worth
not spending my time reading!
I was re-reading some a while back and almost felt I'd grown out of
them! I never had copies of the Channel Island ones. Did you? Not
Chalet school there but I think other families. I used to just use the
library copies. I was wondering about reading those but the re-issues
are silly prices.
Fenny
2018-07-27 18:56:11 UTC
On Fri, 27 Jul 2018 10:08:50 +0100, Vicky Ayech
Post by Vicky Ayech
Post by Fenny
I don't read nearly enough these days. But of late, I've been
rereading my Chalet School books. I read before lunch at the
weekends. And yes, I am very slack on the domestic front. The house
is in enough of a state that even if I spent entire weekends on
domestic duties, it wouldn't make enough difference to make it worth
not spending my time reading!
I was re-reading some a while back and almost felt I'd grown out of
them! I never had copies of the Channel Island ones. Did you? Not
Chalet school there but I think other families. I used to just use the
library copies. I was wondering about reading those but the re-issues
are silly prices.
I only have the CS books, not any of EBD's others. Yes, the reprints
are silly prices, but I have bought some of the new "extra" CS books.
2018-07-27 20:31:03 UTC
Post by Vicky Ayech
Post by Fenny
I don't read nearly enough these days. But of late, I've been
rereading my Chalet School books. I read before lunch at the
weekends. And yes, I am very slack on the domestic front. The house
is in enough of a state that even if I spent entire weekends on
domestic duties, it wouldn't make enough difference to make it worth
not spending my time reading!
I was re-reading some a while back and almost felt I'd grown out of
them! I never had copies of the Channel Island ones. Did you? Not
Chalet school there but I think other families. I used to just use the
library copies. I was wondering about reading those but the re-issues
are silly prices.
I only have the CS books, not any of EBD's others. Yes, the reprints
are silly prices, but I have bought some of the new "extra" CS books.
I bought an adult one of hers, Jean of Storms, a while back but didn't
think it as good as the CS ones. La Rochelle, that's the Channel
Island ones. I wonder if they are available.
checking
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Maids-Rochelle-Elinor-M-Brent-Dyer/dp/1847451020
ouch!
Fenny
2018-07-28 16:16:41 UTC
Post by Vicky Ayech
Post by Fenny
[...]
Exactly!

The problem with looking at all these add-ons, fill-ins and other
stories is that I want to read them, but I don't want to fork out at
least £13 each and these days, I'd rather have e-books, cos there's no
more room for bookcases.

I'm half considering whether I should get rid of my collection of VHS
tapes, but then I'd have to buy new copies of things. I've already
got the whole of Babylon 5 and BtVS on DVD, but my Star Trek
collection is pretty large. Plus all the other films and tv shows,
which probably aren't all available on DVD.
the Omrud
2018-07-28 21:45:14 UTC
Post by Fenny
I'm half considering whether I should get rid of my collection of VHS
tapes, but then I'd have to buy new copies of things. I've already
got the whole of Babylon 5 and BtVS on DVD, but my Star Trek
collection is pretty large. Plus all the other films and tv shows,
which probably aren't all available on DVD.
The whole of Star Trek (TV) is on Netflix. Over 740 episodes. My
Five-Year Mission is to watch them all. I'm nearing the end of TOS at
the moment, and I'm slipping in the Animated Series.
David
Fenny
2018-07-28 22:52:44 UTC
Post by the Omrud
Post by Fenny
I'm half considering whether I should get rid of my collection of VHS
tapes, but then I'd have to buy new copies of things. I've already
got the whole of Babylon 5 and BtVS on DVD, but my Star Trek
collection is pretty large. Plus all the other films and tv shows,
which probably aren't all available on DVD.
The whole of Star Trek (TV) is on Netflix. Over 740 episodes. My
Five-Year Mission is to watch them all. I'm nearing the end of TOS at
the moment, and I'm slipping in the Animated Series.
The problem with the streaming services is that things come and go.
The whole of BtVS and Angel *were* on Amazon Prime. Then they
weren't. The whole of SG-1 and SGA *were* on Now TV. I think SG-1 is
back because it's being shown on one of the Sky channels again.

I had a Blinkbox account (Tesco's digital film & tv arm), then it was
sold to TalkTalk and they didn't have the rights to some things I'd
bought, so I lost them. It's just been sold to Rakuten, who don't
have the rights to some things I've bought, so I've lost those. Even
the UltraViolet online digital library thingy has changed and I've
lost copies and can't link things to my library any more.

Why is it that if you buy a book, tape, CD, DVD, etc, you get to keep
it (plus any digital download the seller seems fit to offer) and can
lend the physical copy to anyone you like or read/watch it whenever
you want to, but if you buy a digital version of something, you don't
actually own it and the right to consume it can be removed at any
point?

I'm currently mainlining Brothers & Sisters on Now TV and quite
enjoying the occasional sight of Rob Lowe shirtless. And all the
other beautiful people who make up the extended Walker family.
2018-07-29 08:55:22 UTC
Why is it that if you buy a book, tape, CD, DVD, etc, you get to keep it
(plus any digital download the seller seems fit to offer) and can lend
the physical copy to anyone you like or read/watch it whenever you want
to, but if you buy a digital version of something, you don't actually
own it and the right to consume it can be removed at any point?
Because that's how its is (i.e. how "they" made it). And people still
think I'm a Luddite for sticking with physical media and just ignoring
the world of paid for streaming.
the Omrud
2018-07-29 10:38:54 UTC
Post by Jim Easterbrook
Why is it that if you buy a book, tape, CD, DVD, etc, you get to keep it
(plus any digital download the seller seems fit to offer) and can lend
the physical copy to anyone you like or read/watch it whenever you want
to, but if you buy a digital version of something, you don't actually
own it and the right to consume it can be removed at any point?
Because that's how its is (i.e. how "they" made it). And people still
think I'm a Luddite for sticking with physical media and just ignoring
the world of paid for streaming.
For music, I still ignore downloads and streaming and always buy CDs,
but there's a limit to the number of times I can watch the whole of
various TV series and films, so I'm content with streaming for those.
David
LFS
2018-07-29 14:41:06 UTC
Post by Jim Easterbrook
Why is it that if you buy a book, tape, CD, DVD, etc, you get to keep it
(plus any digital download the seller seems fit to offer) and can lend
the physical copy to anyone you like or read/watch it whenever you want
to, but if you buy a digital version of something, you don't actually
own it and the right to consume it can be removed at any point?
Because that's how its is (i.e. how "they" made it). And people still
think I'm a Luddite for sticking with physical media and just ignoring
the world of paid for streaming.
I don't mind paying to watch a streamed film, just as I don't mind
paying to see a film at the cinema. There aren't that many out of all
those I watch that I'd want to keep and watch again.
the Omrud
2018-07-29 10:37:22 UTC
Post by Fenny
Post by the Omrud
Post by Fenny
I'm half considering whether I should get rid of my collection of VHS
tapes, but then I'd have to buy new copies of things. I've already
got the whole of Babylon 5 and BtVS on DVD, but my Star Trek
collection is pretty large. Plus all the other films and tv shows,
which probably aren't all available on DVD.
The whole of Star Trek (TV) is on Netflix. Over 740 episodes. My
Five-Year Mission is to watch them all. I'm nearing the end of TOS at
the moment, and I'm slipping in the Animated Series.
The problem with the streaming services is that things come and go.
The whole of BtVS and Angel *were* on Amazon Prime. Then they
weren't. The whole of SG-1 and SGA *were* on Now TV. I think SG-1 is
back because it's being shown on one of the Sky channels again.
True, but I'm risking it for the moment. I would probably buy the DVDs
if Netflix drops the series.
Post by Fenny
I had a Blinkbox account (Tesco's digital film & tv arm), then it was
sold to TalkTalk and they didn't have the rights to some things I'd
bought, so I lost them. It's just been sold to Rakuten, who don't
have the rights to some things I've bought, so I've lost those. Even
the UltraViolet online digital library thingy has changed and I've
lost copies and can't link things to my library any more.
Why is it that if you buy a book, tape, CD, DVD, etc, you get to keep
it (plus any digital download the seller seems fit to offer) and can
lend the physical copy to anyone you like or read/watch it whenever
you want to, but if you buy a digital version of something, you don't
actually own it and the right to consume it can be removed at any
point?
"Why" is because that's their business model. There's no practical reason.
Post by Fenny
I'm currently mainlining Brothers & Sisters on Now TV and quite
enjoying the occasional sight of Rob Lowe shirtless. And all the
other beautiful people who make up the extended Walker family.
I'm so unhip it's a wonder my bum doesn't fall off. I've never even
heard of that.
David
Vicky Ayech
2018-07-29 10:59:15 UTC
Post by the Omrud
Post by Fenny
I'm currently mainlining Brothers & Sisters on Now TV and quite
enjoying the occasional sight of Rob Lowe shirtless. And all the
other beautiful people who make up the extended Walker family.
I'm so unhip it's a wonder my bum doesn't fall off. I've never even
heard of that.
--
I think that's the one the actress who played Ally McBeale was in? I
watched a few episodes of it but didn't like it that much, although I

We seem to be out of synch with mainstream. Apparently Transparent, a
US series about a transsexual man who changes and his relationship
with his grown up kids and ex, won a few prizes at some festival
recently and I thought it very lame. A bit like Viscious, a UK series
which I also thought badly done. Cheap laughs. But The Marvelous Mrs.
Maisel, which we both loved, didn't win anything.
Vicky Ayech
2018-07-29 11:01:38 UTC
On Sun, 29 Jul 2018 11:59:15 +0100, Vicky Ayech
Post by Vicky Ayech
Post by the Omrud
Post by Fenny
[...]
Oh just been corrected. Mrs M won 2 golden globes but Transparent won
8 somethings and globes too.
Fenny
2018-07-29 13:43:56 UTC
Post by Vicky Ayech
We seem to be out of synch with mainstream. Apparently Transparent, a
US series about a transsexual man who changes and his relationship
with his grown up kids and ex, won a few prizes at some festival
recently and I thought it very lame. A bit like Viscious, a UK series
which I also thought badly done. Cheap laughs. But The Marvelous Mrs.
Maisel, which we both loved, didn't win anything.
I only watched bits of Transparent because I knew Bradley Whitford was
going to be in it. I found the episodes I did watch a strain and
didn't bother with any more.
2018-08-02 19:47:11 UTC
On Sun, 29 Jul 2018 11:37:22 +0100, the Omrud <***@gmail.com>
scrawled in the dust...
Post by the Omrud
I'm so unhip it's a wonder my bum doesn't fall off.
:))
According to my mother, that only happens if you unscrew your belly button.
2018-08-02 23:29:24 UTC
Post by the Omrud
I'm so unhip it's a wonder my bum doesn't fall off.
:))
According to my mother, that only happens if you unscrew your belly button.
My mother said that as well so there must be truth in it.
Steveski (Credulous as hell).
Mike
RC Mitchell
There are ways round it...
Fenny
2018-07-29 13:44:44 UTC
On Sun, 29 Jul 2018 12:33:15 +0100, RC Mitchell
Post by RC Mitchell
Post by Fenny
Why is it that if you buy a book, tape, CD, DVD, etc, you get to keep
it (plus any digital download the seller seems fit to offer) and can
lend the physical copy to anyone you like or read/watch it whenever
you want to, but if you buy a digital version of something, you don't
actually own it and the right to consume it can be removed at any
point?
There are ways round it...
There are, but life's too short these days.
2018-07-29 14:36:16 UTC
Post by Fenny
Why is it that if you buy a book, tape, CD, DVD, etc, you get to keep
it (plus any digital download the seller seems fit to offer) and can
lend the physical copy to anyone you like or read/watch it whenever
you want to, but if you buy a digital version of something, you don't
actually own it and the right to consume it can be removed at any
point?
Because that's the business model. I don't think all the people who own
Kindles actually realise that they don't own the books and that they
could vanish at the will of Amazon. Blockchain could change it all, in
theory.
2018-07-31 10:55:48 UTC
Post by LFS
Post by Fenny
Why is it that if you buy a book, tape, CD, DVD, etc, you get to keep
it (plus any digital download the seller seems fit to offer) and can
lend the physical copy to anyone you like or read/watch it whenever
you want to, but if you buy a digital version of something, you don't
actually own it and the right to consume it can be removed at any
point?
Because that's the business model. I don't think all the people who own
Kindles actually realise that they don't own the books and that they
could vanish at the will of Amazon. Blockchain could change it all, in
theory.
No, I didn’t, Laura. Rather glad I don’t pay much (or anything) for them,
but some are rarities in the mountaineering world of books, I would be sad
to lose those.

2018-07-25 19:38:11 UTC
Post by LFS
Post by Btms
Post by Fred
Post by LFS
[...]
Where do you find the time! I suspect my problem is my inability to give
much time to myself.
2018-07-25 10:07:29 UTC
Post by Fred
Post by LFS
https://themanbookerprize.com/fiction/news/man-booker-prize-2018-longlist-announced
The only one I've read is the Richard Powers which is very good. Have
umrats read any of the others on the list?
I am in a book group and try to choose books that will "stir them up" stuff they wouldn't otherwise read.
I'm tempted to offer the graphic novel; "What do you mean, 'It's a comic'?" "It's on the long list, it must be literature"
Maus was the first graphic novel I read. That is certainly literature!
But I do find them quite difficult to read. Son tells me this is because
I'm not part of the target audience but I'm not sure why his generation
should find them easier. I too grew up with comics, after all.
2018-07-25 17:16:05 UTC
Post by LFS
Post by Fred
Post by LFS
https://themanbookerprize.com/fiction/news/man-booker-prize-2018-longlist-announced
The only one I've read is the Richard Powers which is very good. Have
umrats read any of the others on the list?
I am in a book group and try to choose books that will "stir them up" stuff they wouldn't otherwise read.
I'm tempted to offer the graphic novel; "What do you mean, 'It's a comic'?" "It's on the long list, it must be literature"
Maus was the first graphic novel I read. That is certainly literature!
But I do find them quite difficult to read. Son tells me this is because
I'm not part of the target audience but I'm not sure why his generation
should find them easier. I too grew up with comics, after all.
I grew up with comics too.Marilyn and Roxy and Eagle, Dan Dare. And
later as a student I liked DC Comics, Superman, Green Lantern. But I
find graphic books hard to read too. I really wanted to read the
Sandman but it is hard going. I do like the pictures and got through
the first couple of stories but am resting the book at present :).