‘If you have been affected...’
2020-11-18 19:16:57 UTC
Yes, and I may well stop listening as a result!
2020-11-19 10:04:57 UTC
On Wed, 18 Nov 2020 at 19:16:57, Mike McMillan
Post by Mike McMillan
Yes, and I may well stop listening as a result!
I can't remember: _was_ there an "if you've been affected by a
friend/relative falling off a high roof to his death" one?

I _know_ they serve a genuine and (probably) worthwhile purpose, and I
don't like myself for being irritated by them. But I am, and doubt if I
could change myself now.

On the subject: I've - fortunately - never been near someone forcibly
going "cold turkey" from alcohol (or anything else). Was it a realistic
portrayal of how such people behave? (I appreciate people may not wish
to answer.)

"Do you want to be right, or friends?"
- a friend quoted by Vicky Ayech in UMRA, 2018-12-4
Vicky Ayech
2020-11-19 11:27:08 UTC
Post by Mike McMillan
Yes, and I may well stop listening as a result!
I can't remember: _was_ there an "if you've been affected by a
friend/relative falling off a high roof to his death" one?
I _know_ they serve a genuine and (probably) worthwhile purpose, and I
don't like myself for being irritated by them. But I am, and doubt if I
could change myself now.
On the subject: I've - fortunately - never been near someone forcibly
going "cold turkey" from alcohol (or anything else). Was it a realistic
portrayal of how such people behave? (I appreciate people may not wish
to answer.)
I don't know about being forced to go cold turkey. A friend, who
hasn't had alcohol for about 30 years, told me you have to want to
stop and have to do it yourself. They didn't use AA but did it
alone.We discussed the episode and they said Chris did the right thing
to give her the alcohol as the drugs they'd have given if he'd called
an ambulance are worse for you. Also expressed some disbelief in how
the scene went. They don't listen, I've just reported it.

I've another friend been managing no alcohol for 7 years now. Also
been battling with depression and has been slimming! They did it
without help too. I don't think they were as bad as Alice. Not to the
passing out stage. I think they listen to TA . Not sure if I can ask
about it. I find you have to be careful which friend you discuss what
with.
DavidK
2020-11-19 13:43:52 UTC
Post by Mike McMillan
[...]
Elsewhere someone is writing from personal evidence and saying how
true-to-life it was, but didn't mention the physical symptoms. Googling
on quitting alcohol and looking at my second entry (the UK ht wasn't
helpful) I see it says that it is not a good idea.
BrritSki
2020-11-19 14:04:38 UTC
On 19/11/2020 11:27, Vicky Ayech wrote:
I am sure that was all very well researched and written, but was it
really what we need at this time ? So many stories of doom and gloom on
TA with the fire, the 'orses, Linda's disfigurement, Ruaridh's tape, and
no doubt others I've forgot like auld acquaintance.

I am not suggesting that everything should be light-hearted and fluffy,
but this was too much.

Like the decision to switch to 4 epis a week and initially with
monologues, t just shows the contempt that the BBC has for its TA audience.
Steve Hague
2020-11-19 15:35:32 UTC
I am sure that was all very well researched and written, but was it
really what we need at this time ?  So many stories of doom and gloom on
TA with the fire, the 'orses, Linda's disfigurement, Ruaridh's tape, and
no doubt others I've forgot like auld acquaintance.
I am not suggesting that everything should be light-hearted and fluffy,
but this was too much.
Like the decision to switch to 4 epis a week and initially with
monologues, t just shows the contempt that the BBC has for its TA audience.
Can you have contempt for someone whose existence has no meaning at all
for you?
Mike McMillan
2020-11-19 15:46:02 UTC
Post by Steve Hague
Post by BrritSki
I am sure that was all very well researched and written, but was it
really what we need at this time ?  So many stories of doom and gloom on
TA with the fire, the 'orses, Linda's disfigurement, Ruaridh's tape, and
no doubt others I've forgot like auld acquaintance.
I am not suggesting that everything should be light-hearted and fluffy,
but this was too much.
Like the decision to switch to 4 epis a week and initially with
monologues, t just shows the contempt that the BBC has for its TA audience.
Can you have contempt for someone whose existence has no meaning at all
for you?
One might attempt to.
Good point, well made.
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2020-11-19 18:38:08 UTC
Post by Steve Hague
Post by BrritSki
Like the decision to switch to 4 epis a week and initially with
monologues, t just shows the contempt that the BBC has for its TA audience.
Can you have contempt for someone whose existence has no meaning at
all for you?
Good point, well made.
I don't get it: why do you think the existence of the TA audience has no
meaning for the BBC? I'd have said it (i. e. we) has more significance
than many other sub-groups, not least because we include some
journalists with significant following/influence.

(FWIW I _like_ having only 4 epis a week and am not looking forward to
the reversion. I didn't really like the monologues, but thought they
were a good effort in the circumstances.

If the TA audience had no meaning for the BBC, why didn't they just
shelve TA?)

"Mary Poppins is a junkie" - bumper sticker on Julie Andrews' car in the '60s
Steve Hague
2020-11-19 18:57:21 UTC
Post by Steve Hague
Post by BrritSki
Like the decision to switch to 4 epis a week and initially with
monologues, t just shows the contempt that the BBC has for its TA audience.
Can you have contempt for someone whose existence has no meaning at
all  for you?
Good point, well made.
I don't get it: why do you think the existence of the TA audience has no
meaning for the BBC? I'd have said it (i. e. we) has more significance
than many other sub-groups, not least because we include some
journalists with significant following/influence.
(FWIW I _like_ having only 4 epis a week and am not looking forward to
the reversion. I didn't really like the monologues, but thought they
were a good effort in the circumstances.
If the TA audience had no meaning for the BBC, why didn't they just
shelve TA?)
Perhaps they need to fill in the gaps. There were other radio soaps
which were even worse than TA has become. Does anyone remember the
horror that was Waggoner's Walk? Spelling probably wrong, but I don't
care. I never saw the point in Mrs Dale's Diary. I've just noticed there
could have been a cross reference with TA if it had been Mrs Dale's Dairy.
2020-11-24 08:55:20 UTC
Post by Steve Hague
Post by Steve Hague
Post by BrritSki
[...]
Steve
Yes certainly do and lots of my friends followed it avidly.

2020-11-19 21:13:41 UTC
--
One suggestion.
TA is a 'legacy' programme that the current BBC has little interest in.
2020-11-19 21:30:35 UTC
If the TA audience had no meaning for the BBC, why didn't they just
shelve TA?)
--
One suggestion.
TA is a 'legacy' programme that the current BBC has little interest in.
Public sentiment, & the backlash which would arise from cancellation,
may mean they shy away from doing that.
So the audience _does_ have meaning to them.

(When I said "why didn't they just shelve" it, I meant just "for the
duration of hostilities", not altogether.)
Post by Sam Plusnet
On the other hand, allowing it to wither on the vine is a compromise
they can live with.
There have indeed been times I've wondered if that was what they were
trying to do. I don't think the current storyline(s) are trying to do
that at the moment though - they might not be to everyone's taste, but
they're certainly not wither fodder.

Linux is a car kit and Mac is a car with the hood welded shut - Mayayana in
alt.windows7.general, 2015-12-4
Vicky Ayech
2020-11-19 21:30:06 UTC
On Thu, 19 Nov 2020 18:38:08 +0000, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
Post by Steve Hague
Post by BrritSki
Like the decision to switch to 4 epis a week and initially with
monologues, t just shows the contempt that the BBC has for its TA audience.
Can you have contempt for someone whose existence has no meaning at
all for you?
Good point, well made.
I don't get it: why do you think the existence of the TA audience has no
meaning for the BBC? I'd have said it (i. e. we) has more significance
than many other sub-groups, not least because we include some
journalists with significant following/influence.
(FWIW I _like_ having only 4 epis a week and am not looking forward to
the reversion. I didn't really like the monologues, but thought they
were a good effort in the circumstances.
If the TA audience had no meaning for the BBC, why didn't they just
shelve TA?)
I'm ok with just 4 episodes too. I find the 3 days off is a rest to do
other stuff. An episode generates reactions here and fb and takes
time.
Anne B
2020-11-19 21:37:31 UTC
Post by Steve Hague
Post by BrritSki
Like the decision to switch to 4 epis a week and initially with
monologues, t just shows the contempt that the BBC has for its TA audience.
Can you have contempt for someone whose existence has no meaning at
all  for you?
Good point, well made.
I don't get it: why do you think the existence of the TA audience has no
meaning for the BBC? I'd have said it (i. e. we) has more significance
than many other sub-groups, not least because we include some
journalists with significant following/influence.
(FWIW I _like_ having only 4 epis a week and am not looking forward to
the reversion. I didn't really like the monologues, but thought they
were a good effort in the circumstances.
I hate not having the full quota of episodes. I get a horrible sinking
feeling when instead of Barwick Green I hear someone announcing Front
Row, which, somehow or other, always comes as a small unpleasant shock.
Not so much that I am desperate for TA, just that I can't bear the idea
that FR is getting the extra time, and I am going to have to eat my
evening meal in silence instead of having TA in the background.

Anne B
Chris McMillan
2020-11-24 08:55:19 UTC
I am sure that was all very well researched and written, but was it
really what we need at this time ? So many stories of doom and gloom on
TA with the fire, the 'orses, Linda's disfigurement, Ruaridh's tape, and
no doubt others I've forgot like auld acquaintance.
I am not suggesting that everything should be light-hearted and fluffy,
but this was too much.
Like the decision to switch to 4 epis a week and initially with
monologues, t just shows the contempt that the BBC has for its TA audience.
If you’ve been affected by anything on this episode, don’t stop listening?

Sincerely Chris
Steve Hague
2020-11-19 16:52:33 UTC
Post by Mike McMillan
Yes, and I may well stop listening as a result!
I stopped listening a couple of years ago, so no problem here.