Cricket
Add Reply
Tony Smith Gloucestershire
2020-07-28 13:59:49 UTC
Gaudeamus igitur.
Sid Nuncius
2020-07-28 14:41:29 UTC
Post by Tony Smith Gloucestershire
Gaudeamus igitur.
That's yer actual Latin for <beam>.

Allow me to add my own <beam>[1], especially for Stuart Broad's 500th.
Delighted to see Chris Woakes get five, too.

[1]One of these days, an arboricultural discussion here is going to
involve mention of a hornbeam and then we're going to be in serious
Brritski trouble.
2020-07-28 16:12:10 UTC
Post by Tony Smith Gloucestershire
Gaudeamus igitur.
That's yer actual Latin for <beam>.
Allow me to add my own <beam>[1], especially for Stuart Broad's 500th.
Delighted to see Chris Woakes get five, too.
500 beamers for Broad. I didn't watch any of this series in detail, but
is Archer pulling his weight ? I know he's not getting many wickets,
but does he keep the pressure on the batsmen ?
Oooh, Mister 'orne.....
Sid Nuncius
2020-07-28 18:11:41 UTC
Post by Tony Smith Gloucestershire
Gaudeamus igitur.
That's yer actual Latin for <beam>.
Allow me to add my own <beam>[1], especially for Stuart Broad's 500th.
Delighted to see Chris Woakes get five, too.
500 beamers for Broad.  I didn't watch any of this series in detail, but
is Archer pulling his weight ?  I know he's not getting many wickets,
but does he keep the pressure on the batsmen ?
I haven't seen enough (just highlights) to be sure, but the commentators
I've heard seem to think he's done OK. I hope they keep him in the side
for the Pakistan series; he's obviously a prodigious talent and needs to
gain experience. I think we'll need him (and Wood) on Australian
wickets in 18 months time.
You're right there. Hope he comes good...
Steve Hague
2020-07-28 16:17:32 UTC
Post by Tony Smith Gloucestershire
Gaudeamus igitur.
That's yer actual Latin for <beam>.
Allow me to add my own <beam>[1], especially for Stuart Broad's 500th.
Delighted to see Chris Woakes get five, too.
[1]One of these days, an arboricultural discussion here is going to
involve mention of a hornbeam and then we're going to be in serious
Brritski trouble.
A good result. Nice to be introduced to Carlos Brathwaite though. I like
him.
2020-07-28 16:18:33 UTC
Post by Tony Smith Gloucestershire
Gaudeamus igitur.
<Beamus maximus>
2020-07-28 19:36:15 UTC
On Tue, 28 Jul 2020 06:59:49 -0700 (PDT), Tony Smith Gloucestershire
Post by Tony Smith Gloucestershire
Gaudeamus igitur.
That was our school song.
I seem to recall a line which we always sang as "Molest the postman".
2020-07-29 02:19:59 UTC
On Tue, 28 Jul 2020 06:59:49 -0700 (PDT), Tony Smith Gloucestershire
Post by Tony Smith Gloucestershire
Gaudeamus igitur.
That was our school song.
It " is the official song of many schools, colleges, universities,
institutions, student societies", according to
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaudeamus_igitur . (Despite the Latin,
and hymn-like tune, it's actually a cheerful & not very serious piece.)
Post by Penny
I seem to recall a line which we always sang as "Molest the postman".
Post molestam senectutem. After a troubling old age.

I was never drawn to sport, to which I attribute my long life.
- Barry Humphries, RT 2016/1/9-15
Clive Arthur
2020-07-29 09:40:49 UTC
Post by Tony Smith Gloucestershire
Gaudeamus igitur.
Ewan Hayes
Tim Simmonds
--
Cheers
Clive
Tony Smith Gloucestershire
2020-08-01 11:53:14 UTC
Is thought there was an ODI today? Apart from Denly's injury I can fond no reports.
John Ashby
2020-08-01 12:26:11 UTC
Post by Tony Smith Gloucestershire
Post by Tony Smith Gloucestershire
Gaudeamus igitur.
Is thought there was an ODI today? Apart from Denly's injury I can fond no reports.
Starts at about 1.30 according to the Guardian's live blog.

2020-08-02 17:04:28 UTC
On Tuesday, 28 July 2020 14:59:50 UTC+1, Tony Smith Gloucestershire
Post by Tony Smith Gloucestershire
Gaudeamus igitur.
Is thought there was an ODI today? Apart from Denly's injury I can fond no reports.
Starts at about 1.30 according to the Guardian's live blog.
And it was just as nail-biting as the last one. The third and last one
is on Tuesday, 2.00pm start. I can hardly contain myself.
2020-08-02 20:44:45 UTC
On 02-Aug-20 18:04, Sid Nuncius wrote:

I can hardly contain myself.
I too find lockdown weight management a problem.
2020-08-02 20:46:32 UTC
On Tuesday, 28 July 2020 14:59:50 UTC+1, Tony Smith Gloucestershire
Post by Tony Smith Gloucestershire
Gaudeamus igitur.
Is thought there was an ODI today? Apart from Denly's injury I can fond no reports.
Starts at about 1.30 according to the Guardian's live blog.
And it was just as nail-biting as the last one. The third and last one
is on Tuesday, 2.00pm start. I can hardly contain myself.
Oh, come on Sid - it's interesting watching Ireland versus Ireland :-)
The result of a Morganatic marriage ?
Tony Smith Gloucestershire
2020-08-04 20:53:39 UTC
Gosh.
Sid Nuncius
2020-08-05 05:02:41 UTC
Gosh.
Indeed. That will teach me not to be sarcastic.
Steve Hague
2020-08-05 09:47:54 UTC
Gosh.
And indeed golly.
Tony Smith Gloucestershire
2020-08-05 10:37:51 UTC
Post by Steve Hague
Gosh.
And indeed golly.
I don't nowadays. think "golly" is Politically Correct
BrritSki
2020-08-05 12:21:37 UTC
Post by Steve Hague
Gosh.
And indeed golly.
I don't nowadays. think "golly" is Politically Correct
Etymology of Golly gosh and gee is that they're all Euphemisms for God.

Nothing to do with Robertsons preserves.
Tony Smith Gloucestershire
Of course and I am sure many rats know this. But are the Political Correctness Vigilantes etymologists?
BrritSki
2020-08-05 19:05:47 UTC
Post by Steve Hague
Gosh.
And indeed golly.
I don't nowadays. think "golly" is Politically Correct
Etymology of Golly gosh and gee is that they're all Euphemisms for God.
Nothing to do with Robertsons preserves.
Of course and I am sure many rats know this. But are the Political Correctness Vigilantes etymologists?
Given that they're banning anything with the word Rhodes in even if not
Cecil related, probably not any kind of ologists.

They'll be banning roads next. Heaven help the Greek island.
Penny
2020-08-05 19:18:10 UTC
On Wed, 5 Aug 2020 20:05:47 +0100, BrritSki <***@gmail.com>
Post by Steve Hague
Gosh.
And indeed golly.
I don't nowadays. think "golly" is Politically Correct
Etymology of Golly gosh and gee is that they're all Euphemisms for God.
Nothing to do with Robertsons preserves.
Of course and I am sure many rats know this. But are the Political Correctness Vigilantes etymologists?
Given that they're banning anything with the word Rhodes in even if not
Cecil related, probably not any kind of ologists.
They'll be banning roads next. Heaven help the Greek island.
I've not been paying much attention to the news. Does the Rhodes statue
still stand outside Rhodes Hall in Bishop's Stortford? I saw the Bonzo Dog
band there in the 60s.
Tony Smith Gloucestershire
2020-08-05 21:43:36 UTC
There was some US city (Washington?) where the treasurer was hounded out of office for using the word "niggardy"
Rosalind Mitchell
2020-08-02 18:24:06 UTC
Post by Tony Smith Gloucestershire
Gaudeamus igitur.