Travel
2021-09-10 16:22:52 UTC
Well we managed to get to Liverpool and back - 18 months late and we
missed the football but better than not I suppose. Manchester seems to
have invented unmarked bus lanes to extract money from visitors.

Regrettably Portugal is cancelled but a late booking for Rhodes appears
to have been successful. Filling in lots of forms.

Anywhere that those who know Rhodes is a *must* to visit as it is very
much a last minute booking? We are staying close to Rhodes Old Town I
gather.
Mike Ruddock
2021-09-10 16:48:51 UTC
Well we managed to get to Liverpool and back - 18 months late and we
missed the football but better than not I suppose.  Manchester seems to
have invented unmarked bus lanes to extract money from visitors.
Regrettably Portugal is cancelled but a late booking for Rhodes appears
to have been successful.  Filling in lots of forms.
Anywhere that those who know Rhodes is a *must* to visit as it is very
much a last minute booking?  We are staying close to Rhodes Old Town I
gather.
On a cruise once our shipp called at Rhodes and we noticed that all the
shops stocked small umberellas, so maybe theres a lot of rain.

To answer your question: they seem to have taken down the big statue
which I am told once stood there. It would have been a great tourist
attraction.

Mike Ruddock
Sam Plusnet
2021-09-10 19:30:29 UTC
Post by Mike Ruddock
Post by krw
Well we managed to get to Liverpool and back - 18 months late and we
missed the football but better than not I suppose.  Manchester seems
to have invented unmarked bus lanes to extract money from visitors.
Regrettably Portugal is cancelled but a late booking for Rhodes
appears to have been successful.  Filling in lots of forms.
Anywhere that those who know Rhodes is a *must* to visit as it is very
much a last minute booking?  We are staying close to Rhodes Old Town I
gather.
On a cruise once our shipp called at Rhodes and we noticed that all the
shops stocked small umberellas, so maybe theres a lot of rain.
To answer your question: they seem to have taken down the big statue
which I am told once stood there. It would have been a great tourist
attraction.
Big? It was colossal.
2021-09-10 19:51:53 UTC
Post by Mike Ruddock
Post by krw
Well we managed to get to Liverpool and back - 18 months late and we
missed the football but better than not I suppose.  Manchester seems
to have invented unmarked bus lanes to extract money from visitors.
Regrettably Portugal is cancelled but a late booking for Rhodes
appears to have been successful.  Filling in lots of forms.
Anywhere that those who know Rhodes is a *must* to visit as it is
very much a last minute booking?  We are staying close to Rhodes Old
Town I gather.
On a cruise once our shipp called at Rhodes and we noticed that all
the shops stocked small umberellas, so maybe theres a lot of rain.
To answer your question: they seem to have taken down the big statue
which I am told once stood there. It would have been a great tourist
attraction.
Big?  It was colossal.
Bit like Liverpool. Was told that it was Titanic - but it was simply a
war memorial like memorial from before we had war memorials.
2021-09-10 19:52:45 UTC
Post by Mike Ruddock
Post by krw
Well we managed to get to Liverpool and back - 18 months late and we
missed the football but better than not I suppose.  Manchester seems
to have invented unmarked bus lanes to extract money from visitors.
Regrettably Portugal is cancelled but a late booking for Rhodes
appears to have been successful.  Filling in lots of forms.
Anywhere that those who know Rhodes is a *must* to visit as it is very
much a last minute booking?  We are staying close to Rhodes Old Town I
gather.
On a cruise once our shipp called at Rhodes and we noticed that all the
shops stocked small umberellas, so maybe theres a lot of rain.
To answer your question: they seem to have taken down the big statue
which I am told once stood there. It would have been a great tourist
attraction.
Big? It was colossal.
All Rhodes led to the statue perhaps?
Toodle Pip, Mike McMillan
John Ashby

2021-09-10 22:13:36 UTC
On Fri, 10 Sep 2021 at 19:52:45, Mike McMillan
[]
Post by Mike McMillan
Post by Sam Plusnet
Post by Mike Ruddock
On a cruise once our shipp called at Rhodes and we noticed that all the
shops stocked small umberellas, so maybe theres a lot of rain.
To answer your question: they seem to have taken down the big statue
which I am told once stood there. It would have been a great tourist
attraction.
Big? It was colossal.
All Rhodes led to the statue perhaps?
Those who had to learn Latin might remember the chant "Towns and small
islands, domus and rus" - as the things that don't take a preposition in
Latin. Where we would say "go TO Ambridge", the Romans would just say
"go Rome". (It survives into modern English - the domus part: we still
say "go home" rather than "go to home".) Oh, where was I? Oh yes:
someone asked "how do we know what counts as a small island?", and
answer came that Rhodes was the determining factor, as it sometimes took
a preposition and sometimes didn't - so a small island was "anything
smaller than Rhodes". Which caused some amusement as there was a large
boy in the sixth form called Rhodes. Well, it amused we schoolboys.

You make it from scratch?
Yep.
Do you make your own scratch?
"pyotr filipivich" in alt.windows7.general 2017-5-20
Mike McMillan
2021-09-11 08:11:18 UTC
Post by Mike McMillan
Post by Sam Plusnet
Post by Mike Ruddock
[...]
Bunter? You said your postal order would arrive today - come on, PAY UP!
Toodle Pip, Mike McMillan
Tony Smith
2021-09-11 09:39:30 UTC
The statue of Rhodes was taken down because his imperialist actions had become unpopular.
Mike McMillan
2021-09-11 11:07:55 UTC
Post by Tony Smith
Post by Mike Ruddock
To answer your question: they seem to have taken down the big statue
which I am told once stood there. It would have been a great tourist
attraction.
The statue of Rhodes was taken down because his imperialist actions had become unpopular.
Perhaps they will erect it inside the Colston Hall in Brissle (next to the
washing machine).
Toodle Pip, Mike McMillan
Penny
2021-09-11 15:26:39 UTC
On Sat, 11 Sep 2021 02:39:30 -0700 (PDT), Tony Smith
Post by Tony Smith
Post by Mike Ruddock
To answer your question: they seem to have taken down the big statue
which I am told once stood there. It would have been a great tourist
attraction.
The statue of Rhodes was taken down because his imperialist actions had become unpopular.
In my youth my nearest town was Bishop's Stortford, the birthplace of Cecil
Rhodes. I was only aware of him* because in 1963 The Rhodes Centre*** was
built and in my time there, had a statue of him outside it. I see what is
now an 'arts centre' had his name removed just last year - I've no idea
what happened to the big statue outside, no sign of it on streetview since
2009 but there is a bust in the museum.

* never mentioned in my studies of 'The Southern Continents' at school**,
perhaps because it was confusing enough to have maps and books which
disagreed about the names of several countries.

** I 'did' that book two years running, having moved across the county and
changed curriculum - don't think I learnt much.

*** a general 'venue' - I first entered it to see the Bonzo Dog Doo Dah
Band play and a year or two later to attend B2's wedding reception.
Happiness comes in through doors you didn't even know you'd left open.