It's been an interesting week.
Add Reply
steve hague
2020-06-18 16:28:41 UTC
Last Thursday evening I had a stroke. I started to feel unwell earlier
in the day, and kept falling over. I phoned a friend who I was due to
attend a zoom meeting with to say I wouldn't be able to make it, and he
asked me to describe my symptoms, which I did, although I was having
difficulty speaking by then. The friend is a surgeon at the local
hospital, and he said he thought I was having a stroke, and he was
coming immediately to take me to hospital, having informed them of the
situation. Within 30 minutes I was having a brain scan. The stroke was
caused by a blood clot on my cerebellum, but I've fully recovered apart
from tiring easily. Having seen the state of some of the other people on
the stroke ward, I can only thank God that the stroke only struck me a
glancing blow. What was a revelation was how the hospital ward operated
over the time I was there. Whilst most of the staff were caring and
conscientious, the inefficiency and duplication of tasks was glaringly
obvious. Communication seemed almost non existent, and the ward staff
spent a lot of time trying to find out what they were supposed to be
doing for who.
2020-06-18 16:41:42 UTC
Post by steve hague
Last Thursday evening I had a stroke. I started to feel unwell earlier
in the day, and kept falling over. I phoned a friend who I was due to
attend a zoom meeting with to say I wouldn't be able to make it, and he
asked me to describe my symptoms, which I did, although I was having
difficulty speaking by then. The friend is a surgeon at the local
hospital, and he said he thought I was having a stroke, and he was
coming immediately to take me to hospital, having informed them of the
situation. Within 30 minutes I was having a brain scan. The stroke was
caused by a blood clot on my cerebellum, but I've fully recovered apart
from tiring easily.
Wow, thank goodness for that.

What a stroke [1] of luck that you had a meeting with and spoke to that
surgeon.

[1] see what I did there ?
krw
2020-06-18 16:42:43 UTC
Post by steve hague
Last Thursday evening I had a stroke. I started to feel unwell earlier
in the day, and kept falling over. I phoned a friend who I was due to
attend a zoom meeting with to say I wouldn't be able to make it, and he
asked me to describe my symptoms, which I did, although I was having
difficulty speaking by then. The friend is a surgeon at the local
hospital, and he said he thought I was having a stroke, and he was
coming immediately to take me to hospital, having informed them of the
situation. Within 30 minutes I was having a brain scan. The stroke was
caused by a blood clot on my cerebellum, but I've fully recovered apart
from tiring easily.
Welcome back. Well done on knowing the right people and a pleasure to
note that the hospital did what we all wish they could achieve all the
time in getting initial treatment quickly.

Hope the tiring soon eases off.
2020-06-18 16:54:13 UTC
Post by steve hague
[...]
Steve
Berloimy, Steve!! So pleased to hear you’re on the road to recovery. Extra
choccie is allowed We hope.

The McTs
Sally Thompson
2020-06-18 16:56:36 UTC
Post by steve hague
[...]
I'm so sorry. Please look after yourself and get back to fighting fit soon.
2020-06-19 20:46:32 UTC
On Thu, 18 Jun 2020 at 16:56:36, Sally Thompson
Post by Sally Thompson
Post by steve hague
Last Thursday evening I had a stroke. I started to feel unwell earlier
!!!
Post by Sally Thompson
Post by steve hague
in the day, and kept falling over. I phoned a friend who I was due to
attend a zoom meeting with to say I wouldn't be able to make it, and he
asked me to describe my symptoms, which I did, although I was having
difficulty speaking by then. The friend is a surgeon at the local
hospital, and he said he thought I was having a stroke, and he was
coming immediately to take me to hospital, having informed them of the
What an excellent friend!
Post by steve hague
over the time I was there. Whilst most of the staff were caring and
conscientious, the inefficiency and duplication of tasks was glaringly
obvious. Communication seemed almost non existent, and the ward staff
spent a lot of time trying to find out what they were supposed to be
What little (and I know, I'm very fortunate) contact I've had with the
NHS supports your impression.
Post by Sally Thompson
Post by steve hague
doing for who.
Steve
I'm so sorry. Please look after yourself and get back to fighting fit soon.
+1. Assuming you're the sort who likes fighting ... well, that didn't
come out quite how I meant, but YKWIM. (Like the chap who asked "but
doctor, will I be able to play the piano?" "I don't see why not." "Great
- I never could before!")

Of course some of it [television] is bad. But some of everything is bad -
books, music, family ... - Melvyn Bragg, RT 2017/7/1-7
Mike
2020-06-20 08:07:56 UTC
Post by Sally Thompson
Post by steve hague
doing for who.
Steve
I'm so sorry. Please look after yourself and get back to fighting fit soon.
+1. Assuming you're the sort who likes fighting ... well, that didn't
come out quite how I meant, but YKWIM. (Like the chap who asked "but
doctor, will I be able to play the piano?" "I don't see why not." "Great
- I never could before!")
A line that Clarrie Grundy used too!
2020-06-18 17:46:19 UTC
Post by steve hague
[...]
Boodly hell, Steve! Delighted to have you back here, but it must have
been a very grim time. Take it easy, MOPMOB - not that it sounds like
you have much choice in the matter.

Thinking of you.
2020-06-18 17:57:24 UTC
Post by steve hague
[...]
That's no fun but I'm glad it didn't hit you too badly and hope you get
your energy back soon.
--
Happy hibernating and stay well,
best wishes, Serena
which was before the world was (George Fox)
Nick Odell
2020-06-18 21:12:43 UTC
On Thu, 18 Jun 2020 18:57:24 +0100, Serena Blanchflower
Post by Serena Blanchflower
Post by steve hague
[...]
The same from here, too.

2020-06-18 20:09:23 UTC
Post by steve hague
Last Thursday evening I had a stroke. I started to feel unwell earlier
in the day, and kept falling over. I phoned a friend who I was due to
That's no fun but I'm glad it didn't hit you too badly and hope you get
your energy back soon.
The same from here, too.
Nick
What a good thing it was dealt with so quickly. I hope you are feeling
better now and that things go back to normal soon. All the best.
Sam Plusnet
2020-06-18 20:33:46 UTC
Post by steve hague
Last Thursday evening I had a stroke. I started to feel unwell earlier
in the day, and kept falling over. I phoned a friend who I was due to
That's no fun but I'm glad it didn't hit you too badly and hope you get
your energy back soon.
The same from here, too.
Nick
What a good thing it was dealt with so quickly. I hope you are feeling
better now and that things go back to normal soon. All the best.
What she said.
Since swift treatment is essential to give the best outcome...

I'd buy a lottery ticket if I were you.
With your luck, you could be very rich very quickly.
2020-06-18 22:55:01 UTC
On Thu, 18 Jun 2020 21:33:46 +0100, Sam Plusnet wrote:

I'd buy a lottery ticket if I were you.
With your luck, you could be very rich very quickly.
Bwahahaha!
Min
2020-06-18 23:19:26 UTC
I'd buy a lottery ticket if I were you.
With your luck, you could be very rich very quickly.
Bwahahaha!
Steve - glad to hear you're getting better. My Mum kept having TIAs when
she was on the phone to me (400 miles away) and so I moved her down here.
Given my symptoms when I get cataplexy, it is always touch and go as to
whether I finish up in a stroke unit, as the symptoms are indistiguishable.
Luckily they are a matter of moments rather than hours....
Min
Jenny M Benson
2020-06-18 19:26:53 UTC
Post by steve hague
Last Thursday evening I had a stroke.
Crikey! So pleased it was not more serious and that you are still with
us. Hope your recovery will be full and swift.
Wrexham, UK
Penny
2020-06-18 19:30:26 UTC
On Thu, 18 Jun 2020 17:28:41 +0100, steve hague <***@gmail.com>
scrawled in the dust...
Post by steve hague
Last Thursday evening I had a stroke.
Blimey!
Glad to hear it touched you gently, the treatment was swift and you're on
the mend.
2020-06-18 20:13:19 UTC
Post by steve hague
Last Thursday evening I had a stroke.
Oh how scary! But how marvellous that someone was able to spot it and do
something about it. They say if you catch it within 4 hours there's
every chance of stopping it in its tracks and your making a full
recovery. Take it all easy! Wishing you a speedy return to complete health.

Is it lockdown stress? You are the third person I know who has had a
stroke in the last couple of weeks, which is three more than for several
years past.

One of those three was my husband, who had a small stroke - a TIA - a
week or two ago*, seven years to the day since the first one and not as
bad as that, which was a bit of a comfort.

*Actually, it was the evening of Dominic Cummings' appalling performance
in the Downing Street rose garden. We were quite surprised that the
wards weren't stuffed with apoplectic citizens.
2020-06-18 21:33:18 UTC
Post by Kate B
Post by steve hague
Last Thursday evening I had a stroke.
Oh how scary! But how marvellous that someone was able to spot it and do
something about it. They say if you catch it within 4 hours there's
every chance of stopping it in its tracks and your making a full
recovery. Take it all easy! Wishing you a speedy return to complete health.
Is it lockdown stress? You are the third person I know who has had a
stroke in the last couple of weeks, which is three more than for several
years past.
One of those three was my husband, who had a small stroke - a TIA - a
week or two ago*, seven years to the day since the first one and not as
bad as that, which was a bit of a comfort.
I hope husband is making a good recovery and is comfortable. All the
best to you both, Kate.
Dumrat
2020-06-19 14:22:52 UTC
Post by steve hague
[...]
I'm sorry to read this, Kate, what a strange coincidence it happening 7 years to the day
since the first TIA. Hope he has recovered well and is feeling a lot better now!
--
Salaam Alaykum,
Anne, Exceptionally Traditionally-built Dumrat
steveski
2020-06-18 22:52:05 UTC
Post by steve hague
[...]
Wow! You seem to have dodged one, mate. Hoping that it stays that way -
all the best from me.
Paul Herber
2020-06-19 08:18:36 UTC
Post by steve hague
[...]
Interesting - not good. Keep well.
--
Regards, Paul Herber
https://www.paulherber.co.uk/
Jane Vernon
2020-06-19 10:39:13 UTC
Post by steve hague
[...]
Crikey! I'm glad your friend acted so quickly and the effects are
relatively minor. Hope you're fully recovered soon.
--
Jane
BTME

Tony Bryer
2020-06-19 11:57:30 UTC
Post by steve hague
The friend is a surgeon at the local
hospital, and he said he thought I was having a stroke, and he was
coming immediately to take me to hospital, having informed them of
the situation. Within 30 minutes I was having a brain scan.
Prompt treatment can make all the difference so it's good that your
friend was on the ball. Hope you make a full recovery.
Tony B, OzRat, Melbourne
Dumrat
2020-06-19 14:20:53 UTC
[...]
Goodness, Steve, how lucky it turned out that way, I'm so glad your friend happened to be
a surgeon and got you seen and treated in time! Look after yourself and hopefully the
tiredness will soon be gone.