Totally O/T but, I’ve been thinking.
2021-01-08 09:13:07 UTC
With all the mask wearing and social distancing plus hand washing etc. that
has become part of our daily routine now - I have wondered... Has the
incidence of the Common Cold attacking us taken a ‘nose dive’ (see what I
did there?)? The Toodleses have not had even a sniffle in the last year
[yes, I know that is a foolish thing to utter!] and I wondered if Umrats
had experienced a similar phenomena at all, at all?
Paul Herber
2021-01-08 09:58:56 UTC
Post by Mike McMillan
With all the mask wearing and social distancing plus hand washing etc. that
has become part of our daily routine now - I have wondered... Has the
incidence of the Common Cold attacking us taken a ‘nose dive’ (see what I
did there?)?
I most certainly saw what you did there and I'm going to run with it. I shall bve your
bogey man.
No sniffles here either.
--
Regards, Paul Herber
https://www.paulherber.co.uk/
Mike McMillan
2021-01-08 10:03:03 UTC
Post by Paul Herber
Post by Mike McMillan
With all the mask wearing and social distancing plus hand washing etc. that
has become part of our daily routine now - I have wondered... Has the
incidence of the Common Cold attacking us taken a ‘nose dive’ (see what I
did there?)?
I most certainly saw what you did there and I'm going to run with it. I shall bve your
bogey man.
No sniffles here either.
I would say that’ snot funny, but it is really!
2021-01-08 20:31:07 UTC
On Fri, 8 Jan 2021 at 10:03:03, Mike McMillan
Post by Mike McMillan
On Fri, 08 Jan 2021 09:13:07 GMT, Mike McMillan
Post by Mike McMillan
With all the mask wearing and social distancing plus hand washing etc. that
has become part of our daily routine now - I have wondered... Has the
incidence of the Common Cold attacking us taken a ‘nose dive’ (see what I
did there?)?
Interesting question! Sorry, can't say, as I don't get colds much. I
_did_ get something nasty about 27/28/29 December (and still have a bit
of a cough, but feel back to normal more or less), though I _think_ it
was a 'flu. (I'd emerged - as I do about once a fortnight - on 23.)
Post by Mike McMillan
I most certainly saw what you did there and I'm going to run with it. I shall bve your
bogey man.
No sniffles here either.
I would say that’ snot funny, but it is really!
Excellent, all!

"... all your hard work in the hands of twelve people too stupid to get off jury
duty." CSI, 200x
Vicky Ayech
2021-01-08 22:17:37 UTC
On Fri, 08 Jan 2021 09:58:56 +0000, Paul Herber
Post by Paul Herber
Post by Mike McMillan
With all the mask wearing and social distancing plus hand washing etc. that
has become part of our daily routine now - I have wondered... Has the
incidence of the Common Cold attacking us taken a ‘nose dive’ (see what I
did there?)?
I most certainly saw what you did there and I'm going to run with it. I shall bve your
bogey man.
No sniffles here either.
I had an ordinary cold last week.It arrived with sneezing and sniffles
and I wondered if it was an allergy, went after a day and allergy
pill, came back off and on, afternoons or night, and stayed almost a
week. But seems to have gone now. No fever, no cough and my sense of
smell was ok if I used the Vick inhaler and seems ok now.
Paul Herber
2021-01-09 10:17:07 UTC
Post by Paul Herber
Post by Mike McMillan
With all the mask wearing and social distancing plus hand washing etc. that
has become part of our daily routine now - I have wondered... Has the
incidence of the Common Cold attacking us taken a ‘nose dive’ (see what I
did there?)?
I most certainly saw what you did there and I'm going to run with it. I shall bve your
bogey man.
No sniffles here either.
I had an ordinary cold last week.It arrived with sneezing and sniffles
and I wondered if it was an allergy, went after a day and allergy
pill, came back off and on, afternoons or night, and stayed almost a
week. But seems to have gone now. No fever, no cough and my sense of
smell was ok if I used the Vick inhaler and seems ok now.
Should be using a Vicky inhaler, Shirley.
--
Regards, Paul Herber
https://www.paulherber.co.uk/
Sam Plusnet
2021-01-09 18:58:32 UTC
Post by Paul Herber
Post by Mike McMillan
With all the mask wearing and social distancing plus hand washing etc. that
has become part of our daily routine now - I have wondered... Has the
incidence of the Common Cold attacking us taken a ‘nose dive’ (see what I
did there?)?
I most certainly saw what you did there and I'm going to run with it. I shall bve your
bogey man.
No sniffles here either.
I had an ordinary cold last week.It arrived with sneezing and sniffles
and I wondered if it was an allergy, went after a day and allergy
pill, came back off and on, afternoons or night, and stayed almost a
week. But seems to have gone now. No fever, no cough and my sense of
smell was ok if I used the Vick inhaler and seems ok now.
Should be using a Vicky inhaler, Shirley.
That remark deserves a Snellian sniff.
2021-01-08 10:01:19 UTC
Post by Mike McMillan
With all the mask wearing and social distancing plus hand washing etc. that
has become part of our daily routine now - I have wondered... Has the
incidence of the Common Cold attacking us taken a ‘nose dive’ (see what I
did there?)? The Toodleses have not had even a sniffle in the last year
[yes, I know that is a foolish thing to utter!] and I wondered if Umrats
had experienced a similar phenomena at all, at all?
I have previously (but not here) expressed the opposite concern - that
all the lack of exposure and the sanitizing would lead to a lack of
resistance to even the minor "bugs" to which most people build up
immunity as they go along. As my mother used to say often "You've got
to eat a peck of dirt before you die". (Actually, I think "meet" might
be more appropriate than "eat.")
Wrexham, UK
Penny
2021-01-08 15:33:37 UTC
On Fri, 8 Jan 2021 10:01:19 +0000, Jenny M Benson <***@hotmail.co.uk>
Post by Mike McMillan
With all the mask wearing and social distancing plus hand washing etc. that
has become part of our daily routine now - I have wondered... Has the
incidence of the Common Cold attacking us taken a ‘nose dive’ (see what I
did there?)? The Toodleses have not had even a sniffle in the last year
[yes, I know that is a foolish thing to utter!] and I wondered if Umrats
had experienced a similar phenomena at all, at all?
I have previously (but not here) expressed the opposite concern - that
all the lack of exposure and the sanitizing would lead to a lack of
resistance to even the minor "bugs" to which most people build up
immunity as they go along. As my mother used to say often "You've got
to eat a peck of dirt before you die". (Actually, I think "meet" might
be more appropriate than "eat.")
I've had a couple of mild colds and wondered how on earth I caught them,
since I rarely do more than walk around the block, quarantine my post,
usually for several days, and always wear a mask and sanitise trolleys etc
when shopping.

Close encounters with 'dirt' have continued as usual, in the garden.
2021-01-08 16:45:43 UTC
Post by Mike McMillan
[...]
Soiling your hands is preferable to soiling your... [lost carrier]
2021-01-08 20:09:05 UTC
Post by Mike McMillan
With all the mask wearing and social distancing plus hand washing etc. that
has become part of our daily routine now - I have wondered... Has the
incidence of the Common Cold attacking us taken a ‘nose dive’ (see what I
did there?)? The Toodleses have not had even a sniffle in the last year
[yes, I know that is a foolish thing to utter!] and I wondered if Umrats
had experienced a similar phenomena at all, at all?
I have previously (but not here) expressed  the opposite concern - that
all the lack of exposure and the sanitizing would lead to a lack of
resistance to even the minor "bugs" to which most people build up
immunity as they go along.  As my mother used to say often "You've got
to eat a peck of dirt before you die".  (Actually, I think "meet" might
be more appropriate than "eat.")
I shall steal both suggestions and say that:

Whilst social distancing is in force, we will be free of sniffs &
coughs, but the instant this thing is (finally) over, we will all expire
en mass from virulent sniffles.
Steve Hague
2021-01-08 11:34:03 UTC
Post by Mike McMillan
With all the mask wearing and social distancing plus hand washing etc. that
has become part of our daily routine now - I have wondered... Has the
incidence of the Common Cold attacking us taken a ‘nose dive’ (see what I
did there?)? The Toodleses have not had even a sniffle in the last year
[yes, I know that is a foolish thing to utter!] and I wondered if Umrats
had experienced a similar phenomena at all, at all?
It surely makes sense that if the preventive measures are effective
against one virus, they're going to be effective against other similar
ones. I wonder if flu cases have fallen in numbers.
2021-01-08 22:19:53 UTC
On Fri, 8 Jan 2021 11:34:03 +0000, Steve Hague
Post by Steve Hague
Post by Mike McMillan
With all the mask wearing and social distancing plus hand washing etc. that
has become part of our daily routine now - I have wondered... Has the
incidence of the Common Cold attacking us taken a ‘nose dive’ (see what I
did there?)? The Toodleses have not had even a sniffle in the last year
[yes, I know that is a foolish thing to utter!] and I wondered if Umrats
had experienced a similar phenomena at all, at all?
It surely makes sense that if the preventive measures are effective
against one virus, they're going to be effective against other similar
ones. I wonder if flu cases have fallen in numbers.
Steve
I hadn't been near anyone with a cold. Or anyone really. Unless some
germs jumped the distance when I passed people when out walking.
Steve Hague
2021-01-09 11:17:17 UTC
Post by Steve Hague
Post by Mike McMillan
With all the mask wearing and social distancing plus hand washing etc. that
has become part of our daily routine now - I have wondered... Has the
incidence of the Common Cold attacking us taken a ‘nose dive’ (see what I
did there?)? The Toodleses have not had even a sniffle in the last year
[yes, I know that is a foolish thing to utter!] and I wondered if Umrats
had experienced a similar phenomena at all, at all?
It surely makes sense that if the preventive measures are effective
against one virus, they're going to be effective against other similar
ones. I wonder if flu cases have fallen in numbers.
Steve
I hadn't been near anyone with a cold. Or anyone really. Unless some
germs jumped the distance when I passed people when out walking.
That produced a picture in my head of germ paratroopers.
2021-01-08 11:58:11 UTC
Post by Mike McMillan
With all the mask wearing and social distancing plus hand washing etc. that
has become part of our daily routine now - I have wondered... Has the
incidence of the Common Cold attacking us taken a ‘nose dive’ (see what I
did there?)? The Toodleses have not had even a sniffle in the last year
[yes, I know that is a foolish thing to utter!] and I wondered if Umrats
had experienced a similar phenomena at all, at all?
It is worth noting that at present deaths are within the normal range
and there have been reports that incidence of flu is lower than expected
- but the latter is probably being attributed to the widened age group
who had injections this year and not to anything.
Sjouke Burry
2021-01-08 17:03:06 UTC
Fine , keep on doing that.

Your brain will thank you for it.
Joe Kerr
2021-01-09 16:51:49 UTC
Post by Mike McMillan
With all the mask wearing and social distancing plus hand washing etc. that
has become part of our daily routine now - I have wondered... Has the
incidence of the Common Cold attacking us taken a ‘nose dive’ (see what I
did there?)? The Toodleses have not had even a sniffle in the last year
[yes, I know that is a foolish thing to utter!] and I wondered if Umrats
had experienced a similar phenomena at all, at all?
I managed what I think was two colds in March, an intermittent sore
throat ever since and more headaches than I would have expected.
--
Ric