Ask EU: Android apps for listening to audio files
2020-09-08 15:39:28 UTC
It looks as if my iPod, which I have been using to listen to music,
audiobooks and podcasts, is nearing the end of its useful life. My plan
is to switch to listening to such things on my phone, which has been
equipped with an SD card providing acres of space for audio files.

Please can umrats suggest the best apps both for transferring audio
files from computer to phone and then for listening to them. Books from
Audible are no problem, as I'm just using the Audible app for them but I
also have a lot of books in either MP3 or M4B files, along with music on
MP3. Suggestions of apps for podcast listening would also be gratefully
received.
Our world is not divided by race, colour, gender or religion our world
is divided into wise people and fools and it is fools that divide the
world by race, colour, gender or religion. (Nelson Mandela)
Sam Plusnet
2020-09-08 20:38:15 UTC
It looks as if my iPod, which I have been using to listen to music,
audiobooks and podcasts, is nearing the end of its useful life.  My plan
is to switch to listening to such things on my phone, which has been
equipped with an SD card providing acres of space for audio files.
Please can umrats suggest the best apps both for transferring audio
files from computer to phone and then for listening to them.  Books from
Audible are no problem, as I'm just using the Audible app for them but I
also have a lot of books in either MP3 or M4B files, along with music on
MP3.  Suggestions of apps for podcast listening would also be gratefully
received.
Why do you need an app?
If you connect the phone to your computer via a USB lead, the computer
should happily recognise the phone, and let you copy files to it.
The only thing you would need to do is discover the location where the
phone stores audio files.
2020-09-08 20:55:39 UTC
[...]
I am not convinced that it is as easy as that, Sam. I think you would
have to load some sort of app, invoke Google Play or... well...
something. I have tried directly downloading .mp3s onto my Android
phone (ancient Motorola Moto E - the earlier one) via the computer and
the first obstacle seems to be that Android can not find them. That is
why I still listen to .mp3s on an .mp3 player.

Any tips on how to make my Android phone behave differently -
preferably without involving any apps that were not already pre-loaded
when I got it - would be appreciated. I will be watching this thread
with interest.

Nick
Joe Kerr
2020-09-08 21:17:31 UTC
[...]
I use a Samsung that is just over a year old. It had Android 9 and now
has 10. There is a setting somewhere (in settings, obviously) where I
got to choose what I wanted the USB connection to do. I opted for
charging and data transfer. I plug the phone into the laptop and the
phone asks whether I want to allow the laptop to update the phone. I tap
"Allow" and a file explorer window pops up on the PC. I can then use
drag and drop on the laptop as with any external drive.

A couple of days ago I noticed an option in settings to allow either the
phone or PC to control the data transfer. It is set to phone. I haven't
tried changing it.

It may be worth my mentioning that this laptop is running Debian but I'm
sure it shouldn't make a difference.
Ric
BrritSki
2020-09-09 08:02:22 UTC
Post by Joe Kerr
[...]
I do exactly as you do Ric, transferring ripped CDs to a Samsung S9
running Android 10 connected to the Win10 laptop through a USB cable. As
I only do this rarely, so tend to forget to turn on S9 and allow it to
grant access for file xfer. I guess you could also do this via Bluetooth
and even set it up to sync automagically, but as I only get new music
once or twice a year it's not wurf it.

I also used to use VLC but I find Google Play Music better for my needs
where I tend to want to play a single album and can find it quickly via
the Artists grouping.
Penny
2020-09-08 22:34:40 UTC
On Tue, 08 Sep 2020 17:55:39 -0300, Nick Odell
[...]
I have a hand-me-up Nokia which probably has some 'smart' functionality but
I don't let it connect to the internet so anything I've put on it - photos,
music, podcasts - has been transferred by cable from my PC. The phone menu
has a section called music - I put the files in there. It even manages to
play downloaded BBC radio serials seamlessly in the right order :)
2020-09-09 16:56:30 UTC
[...]
Many thanks to everyone for the advice.

When I first tried connecting my phone to the computer File Explorer
could see the phone was there but would give no info on what files /
folders it might have, not even the fact it had an SD card. Further
investigation (and looking in the help files on my phone - that's a
novel idea!) showed that I could change the settings on the phone by
pulling down the notifications window and clicking on the notification
that the phone was connected for charging. Then I was able to change
the settings to allow files to be transferred and to decide whether the
computer or phone should be in charge.

I now have all my music on my phone, and my audiobooks are currently
being copied across.

Now to start reading properly, and considering, the suggestions for
which apps to best use for listening to everything on the phone.
I woke up today with a strong desire to accomplish something. Luckily, I
remembered that a nap is something. (Henri, Le Chat Noir)
Joe Kerr
2020-09-09 19:49:26 UTC
[...]
After making my comment about changing settings I had a look and
couldn't find any way of doing that. I was going to mention doing it via
the pulldown notification (my help didn't mention that, either). I
should have known: I was tethered at the time and had changed the
setting in order to connect.
Ric
Joe Kerr
2020-09-08 21:21:23 UTC
[...]
I created a folder on the SD card and then had to tell VLC to look there
so it could update its library. Normally I use the file manager and just
tap the file and select which app I want to use to play it - I could set
one of them as the default.
Ric
Sam Plusnet
2020-09-09 20:07:14 UTC
Post by Joe Kerr
[...]
I too used VLC on an Android phone simply because that's what I use on
my PC, although every Android device will have a 'built-in' app for
playing audio files.

I also have an iPhone (not because I like them, but it was the only way
to solve a problem) but I refuse to let iTunes run riot over both the
phone AND my PC, and I haven't found any other way to get music into the
thing - so I simply don't use it for that purpose.
2020-09-16 15:46:09 UTC
I too used VLC on an Android phone simply because that's what I use on
my PC, although every Android device will have a 'built-in' app for
playing audio files.
Thanks for the recommendation and I now have it safely installed and
have persuaded it to point at the folder where I'd stashed my audiobooks.
What boots up must come down.
Joe Kerr
2020-09-08 20:46:17 UTC
It looks as if my iPod, which I have been using to listen to music,
audiobooks and podcasts, is nearing the end of its useful life.  My plan
is to switch to listening to such things on my phone, which has been
equipped with an SD card providing acres of space for audio files.
Please can umrats suggest the best apps both for transferring audio
files from computer to phone and then for listening to them.  Books from
Audible are no problem, as I'm just using the Audible app for them but I
also have a lot of books in either MP3 or M4B files, along with music on
MP3.  Suggestions of apps for podcast listening would also be gratefully
received.
I bought my smart(Hah!)phone rather than a dumbphone principally for
listening to mp3 files. (I think it was also cheaper than buying a
eyp-hod that couldn't make phone calls.)

I transfer files from the PC to the phone by plugging in a USB cable and
using drag and drop. I play them using VLC player for Android. I used
VLC for years on the PC so just opted for it on the phone. It seems to
do the job well enough but periodically refuses to delete old files
without being granted update access to the SD card (again). I also have
Google Play Music that came pre-installed and I only use by accident. It
also seems to do the job, but slightly differently, and with fewer
capabilities. I generally use the Samsung file manager as the interface
as there is no problem with deleting files and I have more control over
what I listen to - individual files rather than an entire "album" as VLC
likes to do when given the chance.

Hope that helps.
Ric
krw
2020-09-08 22:05:10 UTC
Post by Joe Kerr
I play them using VLC player for Android.
For playing things other than podcasts I would also recommend VLC as it
seems to cope with just about everything and I can use it to cast
recordings to the Chromecast on the TV (our TV is not smart) (1).

I do have some other audio players on the phone and whilst the
interfaces are different the performance does not seem any different.

(1) When we were in the New Forest recently they had a smart TV and I
could link up to the NAS under my desk here and cast it direct to the
smart TV (2). The wonders of modern technology. It did not impress the
good lady wife who was asking why she could not watch Tipping Point and
I pointed (see what I did there) out that the adverts were on so I was
testing.

(2) You guessed it - I now want a smart Ultra HD TV please.
2020-09-11 13:19:17 UTC
Post by Joe Kerr
[...]
Hmmm... I am now wondering if I might have more success with my .mp3s
if I put them on an SD card like you. I have only tried loading them
into the phone storage. I have some microSD cards at home: when I get
back I will give it a try. Thanks.

2020-09-16 15:46:56 UTC
Hmmm... I am now wondering if I might have more success with my .mp3s
if I put them on an SD card like you. I have only tried loading them
into the phone storage. I have some microSD cards at home: when I get
back I will give it a try. Thanks.
I hope that improves matters.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, because you are crunchy and
taste good with ketchup.
krw
2020-09-08 21:58:42 UTC
Suggestions of apps for podcast listening would also be gratefully
received.
I use BeyondPod but as I have never used anything else cannot say if it
is good or bad.
2020-09-09 07:45:28 UTC
It looks as if my iPod, which I have been using to listen to music,
audiobooks and podcasts, is nearing the end of its useful life.  My plan
is to switch to listening to such things on my phone, which has been
equipped with an SD card providing acres of space for audio files.
Please can umrats suggest the best apps both for transferring audio
files from computer to phone and then for listening to them.  Books from
Audible are no problem, as I'm just using the Audible app for them but I
also have a lot of books in either MP3 or M4B files, along with music on
MP3.  Suggestions of apps for podcast listening would also be gratefully
received.
I connect my Android phone (Galaxy Note 4) to my laptop (Linux Mint) via
a usb cable and this pops up a file-browser on my laptop that I use to
transfer files. I *think* that there is a setting on my phone to choose
between charging and file-transfer and I *think* that it is accessed by
pulling down from the top edge.

I use Poweramp on my phone to listen to audio files. There is a setting
within Poweramp, I have just checked, to specify where it is to look for
audio files and I have 'Downloads' as one of them. I download my
podcasts (from the BBC) directly from the web-sites and Poweramp finds
them automatically (sometimes I have to tell it to rescan).
Serena Blanchflower
2020-09-16 15:49:27 UTC
Post by DavidK
I connect my Android phone (Galaxy Note 4) to my laptop (Linux Mint) via
a usb cable and this pops up a file-browser on my laptop that I use to
transfer files. I *think* that there is a setting on my phone to choose
between charging and file-transfer and I *think* that it is accessed by
pulling down from the top edge.
Yes, that's very much how it worked on mine (Moto G phone to Win 10
desktop).
Post by DavidK
I use Poweramp on my phone to listen to audio files. There is a setting
within Poweramp, I have just checked, to specify where it is to look for
audio files and I have 'Downloads' as one of them. I download my
podcasts (from the BBC) directly from the web-sites and Poweramp finds
them automatically (sometimes I have to tell it to rescan).
Thanks. If I find I don't get on with VLC, for any reason, I'll
remember this and try Poweramp.
When I feed the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why the poor have
no food, they call me a communist. (Dom Helder Camara)
Steve Hague
2020-09-09 08:46:07 UTC
It looks as if my iPod, which I have been using to listen to music,
audiobooks and podcasts, is nearing the end of its useful life.  My plan
is to switch to listening to such things on my phone, which has been
equipped with an SD card providing acres of space for audio files.
Please can umrats suggest the best apps both for transferring audio
files from computer to phone and then for listening to them.  Books from
Audible are no problem, as I'm just using the Audible app for them but I
also have a lot of books in either MP3 or M4B files, along with music on
MP3.  Suggestions of apps for podcast listening would also be gratefully
received.
I can easily transfer audio files between my Windows 10 laptop and my
Android phone just using drag and drop.
2020-09-09 20:14:17 UTC
Post by Steve Hague
Post by Serena Blanchflower
It looks as if my iPod, which I have been using to listen to music,
audiobooks and podcasts, is nearing the end of its useful life.  My
plan is to switch to listening to such things on my phone, which has
been equipped with an SD card providing acres of space for audio files.
Please can umrats suggest the best apps both for transferring audio
files from computer to phone and then for listening to them.  Books
from Audible are no problem, as I'm just using the Audible app for
them but I also have a lot of books in either MP3 or M4B files, along
with music on MP3.  Suggestions of apps for podcast listening would
also be gratefully received.
I can easily transfer audio files between my Windows 10 laptop and my
Android phone just using drag and drop.
Just as a general point, I always use "Copy and Paste" rather than "drag
& drop" since there have been times when a slip of the mouse has lead to
some very strange results.
Joe Kerr
2020-09-09 20:50:56 UTC
Post by Steve Hague
I can easily transfer audio files between my Windows 10 laptop and my
Android phone just using drag and drop.
Just as a general point, I always use "Copy and Paste" rather than "drag
& drop" since there have been times when a slip of the mouse has lead to
some very strange results.
If you accidentally drop (or drag) in the wrong place then Ctrl-Z is
your friend. On Windows I nearly always do a right click drag and drop
which gives you the chance to confirm the destination and whether to
copy or move before anything (unexpected) happens.
Ric
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2020-09-09 22:36:53 UTC
Post by Joe Kerr
Post by Sam Plusnet
Post by Steve Hague
I can easily transfer audio files between my Windows 10 laptop and
my Android phone just using drag and drop.
Just as a general point, I always use "Copy and Paste" rather than
"drag & drop" since there have been times when a slip of the mouse
has lead to some very strange results.
If you accidentally drop (or drag) in the wrong place
Which is made so much easier to do since Windows started (it started
with XP or 7, I forget which) "helpfully" expanding a folder after
you've hovered over it for a few seconds. That interval so often just
happens to often coincide with the point at which I let go the button to
do a drop. I spent some time trying to find a way to turn that "helpful"
feature off, to no avail. (It wouldn't be so bad if the folder that
expands at least stayed where it was, but it doesn't, at least if it has
a good few sub-folders, so you en up dropping onto one of them and don't
know which one.)
Post by Joe Kerr
then Ctrl-Z is your friend. On Windows I nearly always do a right
click drag and drop which gives you the chance to confirm the
destination and whether to copy or move before anything (unexpected)
happens.

Every kid starts out as a natural-born scientist, and then we beat it out of
them. A few trickle through the system with their wonder and enthusiasm for
science intact. - Carl Sagan (interview w. Psychology Today published '96-1-1)
the Omrud
2020-09-11 09:18:39 UTC
It looks as if my iPod, which I have been using to listen to music,
audiobooks and podcasts, is nearing the end of its useful life.  My plan
is to switch to listening to such things on my phone, which has been
equipped with an SD card providing acres of space for audio files.
Please can umrats suggest the best apps both for transferring audio
files from computer to phone and then for listening to them.  Books from
Audible are no problem, as I'm just using the Audible app for them but I
also have a lot of books in either MP3 or M4B files, along with music on
MP3.  Suggestions of apps for podcast listening would also be gratefully
received.
VLC is the go-to app for Android and Windows - it plays just about any
audio or video file.
--
David