calling jpeg
2019-06-28 16:46:27 UTC
John, I tried to reply to your last email and got a bounce:

[the address you sent from]@255soft.uk
host mail3.eqx.gridhost.co.uk [95.142.156.6]
SMTP error from remote mail server after RCPT TO:<[the address you
sent from]@255soft.uk>:
550 Administrative prohibition

Reporting-MTA: dns; reading.eukhosting.net

Action: failed
Final-Recipient: rfc822;[the address you sent from]@255soft.uk
Remote-MTA: dns; mail3.eqx.gridhost.co.uk
Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 550 Administrative prohibition

Nobody else is bouncing me, so I'm feeling a bit targeted :)
2019-06-28 16:54:29 UTC
Nobody else is bouncing me...
I'm saying nowt.
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2019-07-01 05:18:30 UTC
Sorry, I've no idea why.
Post by Kate B
host mail3.eqx.gridhost.co.uk [95.142.156.6]
SMTP error from remote mail server after RCPT TO:<[the address you
550 Administrative prohibition
Since I own the domain 255soft.uk, <anything>@255soft.uk should reach
me, and mostly does; I take advantage of that with companies. For
example, I just received one to ***@255soft.uk, having filled in
one of their surveys.
Post by Kate B
Reporting-MTA: dns; reading.eukhosting.net
Action: failed
Remote-MTA: dns; mail3.eqx.gridhost.co.uk
Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 550 Administrative prohibition
All I can suggest is sending it again. Feel free to put anything you
like before the @, but anything _should_ get through. (It's handled by
tsohost my hosting provider, and I have them forward everything to
PlusNet, my connectivity provider, and I collect it from there.)
Post by Kate B
Nobody else is bouncing me, so I'm feeling a bit targeted :)
I enjoyed Brritski's comment (-:

the plural of 'anecdote' is not 'evidence'. Professor Edzart Ernst, prudential
magazine, AUTUMN 2006, p. 13.
Flop
2019-07-01 07:57:32 UTC
me, and mostly does; I take advantage of that with companies. For
one of their surveys.
Very useful to:

a) see who the message is from. Some companies use mailers and it is
not easy to determine the actual source.

b) check whether the company has been hacked. I had one email from XXX
which was obviously spam [XXX is a legitimate company]. So XXX now goes
into the spam bin and I have changed my profile to XXX2.
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
All I can suggest is sending it again. Feel free to put anything you
tsohost my hosting provider, and I have them forward everything to
PlusNet, my connectivity provider, and I collect it from there.)
I had the same scheme (with a different host) but there were problems
with Plusnet rejecting non-Plusnet source addresses going through a
Plusnet server.

Now Mailwasher viws all my messages (as text) and filters them before
they are downloaded by Thunderbird.
--
Flop

Truly the Good Lord gave us computers that we might learn patience
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2019-07-01 18:10:36 UTC
Post by Flop
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
me, and mostly does; I take advantage of that with companies. For
one of their surveys.
a) see who the message is from. Some companies use mailers and
it is not easy to determine the actual source.
b) check whether the company has been hacked. I had one email
from XXX which was obviously spam [XXX is a legitimate company]. So XXX
now goes into the spam bin and I have changed my profile to XXX2.
Or, in some ways worse, see which companies have sold (or given away!)
email addresses.

In practice, not a lot of use: the one or two companies where such a
customized address _has_ been leaked, when I've confronted them, have
po-facedly insisted that it wasn't them that leaked it, claiming that
email addresses could leak anywhere. I suspect they know they were at
fault and were just trying it on, rather than genuinely being ignorant,
but it would have been an uphill task to pursue the matter.

I don't in practice have _any_ kill addresses.
Post by Flop
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
All I can suggest is sending it again. Feel free to put anything you
tsohost my hosting provider, and I have them forward everything to
PlusNet, my connectivity provider, and I collect it from there.)
I had the same scheme (with a different host) but there were problems
with Plusnet rejecting non-Plusnet source addresses going through a
Plusnet server.
Now Mailwasher viws all my messages (as text) and filters them before
they are downloaded by Thunderbird.
The thing is, Kate's first email - to G6JPG-255@, sent 2019-6-28 10:8:30
- got through to me no problem, and I haven't changed anything since. (I
actually would have to remind myself _how_ to!)

The breathtaking wonders of nature revealed to the soothing tones of Sir David
Attenborough. Life doesn't get much better than that.
- Ben Preston, Radio Times editor (2016/11/26-12/2)
Serena Blanchflower
2019-07-01 19:20:12 UTC
me, and mostly does; I take advantage of that with companies. For
one of their surveys.
    a) see who the message is from. Some companies use mailers and it
is not easy to determine the actual source.
    b) check whether the company has been hacked. I had one email from
XXX which was obviously spam [XXX is a legitimate company]. So XXX now
goes into the spam bin and I have changed my profile to XXX2.
I do something similar, although on a smaller scale. This isn't to
track spam but it makes a very effective phishing net. I give unique
email addresses to any companies which seem to be vulnerable to phishing
attempts. I then have filters set up, in TB, to put emails sent to any
of those addresses into dedicated folders for each company.

That way, if I get an email which appears to be from one of those
companies but sent to my mail email address and received in my main
inbox, I know it's a fake. Equally, if it's sent to the dedicated
address for that company, I know that the probability (not certainty) is
that it's genuine.
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
All I can suggest is sending it again. Feel free to put anything you
tsohost my hosting provider, and I have them forward everything to
PlusNet, my connectivity provider, and I collect it from there.)
I had the same scheme (with a different host) but there were problems
with Plusnet rejecting non-Plusnet source addresses going through a
Plusnet server.
I'm a list owner and moderator for a mailing list and receive error
messages when messages sent to subscribers are bounced. A
disproportionate amount of these seem to be messages sent to Plusnet
addresses :( More often than not, these have been taken for spam but,
sometimes, they're bounced for other reasons. Generally though, it's
just one email that has a problem, rather than more persistent problems.
When the white missionaries came to Africa they had the Bible and we had
the land. They said 'Let us pray.' We closed our eyes. When we opened
them we had the Bible and they had the land. (Desmond Tutu)
Kate B
2019-07-01 08:38:23 UTC
Sorry, I've no idea why.
Post by Kate B
Nobody else is bouncing me, so I'm feeling a bit targeted :)
Well, after a third bounce using <G6JPG-255>, I tried with <jpeg> and
you ought to have mail...
2019-07-01 09:13:53 UTC
Post by Kate B
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
Sorry, I've no idea why.
Post by Kate B
Nobody else is bouncing me, so I'm feeling a bit targeted :)
Well, after a third bounce using <G6JPG-255>, I tried with <jpeg> and
you ought to have mail...
Spoke too soon. Bounced again:

Final-Recipient: rfc822;***@255soft.uk
Remote-MTA: dns; mail3.eqx.gridhost.co.uk
Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 550 Administrative prohibition

So what can be going wrong? Do you have cPanel with tsohost (I do for a
mailserver I look after for a charity)? What does the Delivery Tracker
say? Gridhost must be PlusNet, since tsohost uses quasar servers, so
what's eating PlusNet, I wonder?
2019-07-01 19:04:06 UTC
Post by Kate B
Post by Kate B
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
Sorry, I've no idea why.
Post by Kate B
   host mail3.eqx.gridhost.co.uk [95.142.156.6]
[Apparently the character below the "[" in the last line above - which
looks like a space to me - is non-ASCII.]

gridhost seems to be Paragon Internet Group Ltd; I don't know if that's
TSOhost, PlusNet, or someone else. (Oh, you tell me lower down.)
Post by Kate B
Post by Kate B
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
Post by Kate B
   SMTP error from remote mail server after RCPT TO:<[the address
   550 Administrative prohibition
According to
https://www.crazydomains.com.au/help/550-blocked-error-explained/, 550
means things like invalid recipient, no such user, and so on. Clearly
not the case, as (a) I received Kate's first email, (b) I'm still
receiving emails from other people/organisations. That page also
suggests other possible reasons, some of which cast nasturtiums on the
sending {address|server|ISP|etc.}; are you getting any other bounces?
[]
Post by Kate B
Post by Kate B
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
Post by Kate B
Reporting-MTA: dns; reading.eukhosting.net
The whois page I tried (https://ping.eu/ns-whois/) said no match for
that one; interesting!
[]
Post by Kate B
Post by Kate B
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
Post by Kate B
Nobody else is bouncing me, so I'm feeling a bit targeted :)
But, honestly, it's nothing I've done. [I'm honoured you're now
following me on the bird thing, by the way. Was it the McDonalds arch
that prompted you to?]
Post by Kate B
So what can be going wrong? Do you have cPanel with tsohost (I do for a
mailserver I look after for a charity)? What does the Delivery Tracker
say? Gridhost must be PlusNet, since tsohost uses quasar servers, so
what's eating PlusNet, I wonder?
I've just logged in to TSOhost for about the first time since I joined
them, and the answer is - I don't know (-:! You obviously have more
knowledge of such things than I - I do remember the _name_ cPanel,
though not sure whether from TSOhost or Names.co, but I couldn't see how
to get to it - or Delivery Tracker. I have a minimal service from them -
basically just domain maintenance and email handling, though it came
with some hosting, so I mostly just moved my old Demon website (all <25M
of it!) over, and have of course provided the http://255soft.uk/Bingo/
archive on it.

But if you say Gridhost must be PlusNet, then the problem probably isn't
TSOhost anyway.

Kate B
2019-07-02 09:54:35 UTC
<snippety-poo>
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
According to
https://www.crazydomains.com.au/help/550-blocked-error-explained/, 550
means things like invalid recipient, no such user, and so on. Clearly
not the case, as (a) I received Kate's first email, (b) I'm still
receiving emails from other people/organisations. That page also
suggests other possible reasons, some of which cast nasturtiums on the
sending {address|server|ISP|etc.}; are you getting any other bounces?
[]
No, no other bounces. My ISP is Virgin, my mailserver is EUKhost,
currently on their Reading server.
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
Post by Kate B
Reporting-MTA: dns; reading.eukhosting.net
The whois page I tried (https://ping.eu/ns-whois/) said no match for
that one; interesting!
It also gives no match for 255soft.uk!

http://whois.domaintools.com/eukhosting.net
gives the expected answers for both, also for cockaigne.org.uk

<snip>
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
But, honestly, it's nothing I've done. [I'm honoured you're now
following me on the bird thing, by the way. Was it the McDonalds arch
that prompted you to?]
I have absolutely no idea what this is about :) Bird? McDonald's?
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
I've just logged in to TSOhost for about the first time since I joined
them, and the answer is - I don't know (-:! You obviously have more
knowledge of such things than I - I do remember the _name_ cPanel,
though not sure whether from TSOhost or Names.co, but I couldn't see how
to get to it - or Delivery Tracker. I have a minimal service from them -
basically just domain maintenance and email handling, though it came
with some hosting, so I mostly just moved my old Demon website (all <25M
of it!) over, and have of course provided the http://255soft.uk/Bingo/
archive on it.
Your TSOhost landing page has panels listing the services they provide.
On mine (not personal, used for a charity), the pertinent link is on the
right hand side - Your Active Products/Services. Click on that and
another page opens telling you whether you have cPanel or Cloud hosting.
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
But if you say Gridhost must be PlusNet, then the problem probably isn't
TSOhost anyway.
But now I have dug a little deeper and in fact Tsohost use Gridhost for
their Cloud service. About which I know nothing ....

I've just sent a trial email to ***@255soft.uk via Gmail, which hasn't
bounced. So it's probably Gridhost objecting to a mismatch of ISP and
hosting provider, which is a bit dim of them. Emails sent via eukhosting
to other Tsohost addresses using Quasar are fine.

The original message, now lost in the mists of irrelevancy, was simply
that I was surprised your brother had never heard of the Schola Cantorum
of Oxford. Sic transit...
2019-07-02 11:45:36 UTC
On Tue, 2 Jul 2019 10:54:35 +0100, Kate B <***@nospam.demon.co.uk>
scrawled in the dust...
Post by Kate B
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
But, honestly, it's nothing I've done. [I'm honoured you're now
following me on the bird thing, by the way. Was it the McDonalds arch
that prompted you to?]
I have absolutely no idea what this is about :) Bird? McDonald's?
The bird thing would be twitter, I don't think you are following him so
maybe he has confused you with someotherrat. I don't really use twitter but
did start following jpeg recently.
2019-07-02 12:46:14 UTC
Post by Kate B
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
But, honestly, it's nothing I've done. [I'm honoured you're now
following me on the bird thing, by the way. Was it the McDonalds arch
that prompted you to?]
I have absolutely no idea what this is about :) Bird? McDonald's?
The bird thing would be twitter, I don't think you are following him so
maybe he has confused you with someotherrat. I don't really use twitter but
did start following jpeg recently.
Ah, sorry, yes. At least six of my 12 followers are UMRAts (I should get
out more, or some such remark); I must have confused one of them with KB

The average age at which a woman has her first child has passed 30.
Jason Cowley, RT 2016/6/11-17
Kate B
2019-07-02 19:08:45 UTC
But, honestly, it's nothing I've done. [I'm honoured you're now
following me on the bird thing, by the way. Was it the McDonalds arch
that prompted you to?]
I have absolutely no idea what this is about :)  Bird? McDonald's?
The bird thing would be twitter, I don't think you are following him so
maybe he has confused you with someotherrat. I don't really use twitter but
did start following jpeg recently.
Ah, sorry, yes. At least six of my 12 followers are UMRAts (I should get
out more, or some such remark); I must have confused one of them with KB
Indeed you have. I have a Twitter account, @divissima, but only follow a
few people. I don't know who follows me because I never tweet.
2019-07-03 07:13:27 UTC
Post by Kate B
few people. I don't know who follows me because I never tweet.
It seems you have 27 followers right now.

***@cdixon.me.uk @ChrisJDixon1
2019-07-03 08:33:01 UTC
Post by Chris J Dixon
Post by Kate B
few people. I don't know who follows me because I never tweet.
It seems you have 27 followers right now.
Chris
I apologise to them all for my extreme boringness :)
2019-07-03 10:18:29 UTC
Post by Kate B
Post by Chris J Dixon
Post by Kate B
few people. I don't know who follows me because I never tweet.
It seems you have 27 followers right now.
Chris
I apologise to them all for my extreme boringness :)
Would that certain others followed your example.

2019-07-02 12:42:35 UTC
In message <***@mid.individual.net>, Kate B
<***@nospam.demon.co.uk> writes:
[]
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
Post by Kate B
Reporting-MTA: dns; reading.eukhosting.net
The whois page I tried (https://ping.eu/ns-whois/) said no match for
that one; interesting!
It also gives no match for 255soft.uk!
http://whois.domaintools.com/eukhosting.net
gives the expected answers for both, also for cockaigne.org.uk
Thanks. I've replaced my bookmark!
Post by Kate B
<snip>
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
But, honestly, it's nothing I've done. [I'm honoured you're now
following me on the bird thing, by the way. Was it the McDonalds arch
that prompted you to?]
I have absolutely no idea what this is about :) Bird? McDonald's?
Twitter. I recently tweeted a picture of Folkestone's "step short
memorial arch", which to my eyes bears an uncanny resemblance to half of
the McDonalds logo - and is 60 yards from a branch, which joint
coincidences seem - well, ...; your following of me seemed to have
started about the time I tweeted that.
Post by Kate B
Your TSOhost landing page has panels listing the services they provide.
On mine (not personal, used for a charity), the pertinent link is on
the right hand side - Your Active Products/Services. Click on that and
another page opens telling you whether you have cPanel or Cloud hosting.
I have "Lite Hosting". This may be a product no longer available to new
customers: I've been with them since 2017-January. As such, there seem
to be few extra panels etc.; I've never found much need to communicate
with them, they just work.
Post by Kate B
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
But if you say Gridhost must be PlusNet, then the problem probably
isn't TSOhost anyway.
But now I have dug a little deeper and in fact Tsohost use Gridhost for
their Cloud service. About which I know nothing ....
AFAIK, I don't use anything cloud with anyone. Certainly not storage.
(Well, I suppose the website is storage. But I keep a copy here, apart
from the temp folder, so nothing important that isn't elsewhere.)
Received.
Post by Kate B
bounced. So it's probably Gridhost objecting to a mismatch of ISP and
hosting provider, which is a bit dim of them. Emails sent via
Indeed.
Post by Kate B
eukhosting to other Tsohost addresses using Quasar are fine.
The original message, now lost in the mists of irrelevancy, was simply
that I was surprised your brother had never heard of the Schola
Cantorum of Oxford. Sic transit...
It was _I_ who did not remember him ever mentioning it to me; I expect
he's aware of it. You know my memory anyway - he may have! Or not, as
I'm not nearly as into choirs as he is. (Taking on the running of the
Oxford Bach Choir! I've just joined my local parish council, and that's
quite enough for me!)

Never raise your hand to your children. It leaves your mid-section unprotected
Nick Odell
2019-07-02 16:56:39 UTC
Twitter. I recently tweeted a picture of Folkestone's "step short
memorial arch", which to my eyes bears an uncanny resemblance to half of
the McDonalds logo - and is 60 yards from a branch, which joint
coincidences seem - well, ...; your following of me seemed to have
started about the time I tweeted that.
Aaaaaargh! You've reminded me of a recurring dream I used to have. I was
in Baghdad chatting to Saddam Hussein when I just mentioned that
magnificent monument of the crossed swords would look even more
magnificent if the blades were painted yellow and the plinth red to
represent the sun under which the country thrived and the blood spilled
in its name and he really like the idea.

Unfortunately, when viewed from the north (or it might have been the
south - I never was that sure) it looked just like the McDonald's logo
And He Was Furious. I spent the rest of the dream running away from
him and Colonel Gaddafi and Idi Amin who were suddenly all together and
all out to get me.

2019-07-02 17:24:35 UTC
On Tue, 02 Jul 2019 17:56:39 +0100, Nick Odell wrote:

Aaaaaargh! You've reminded me of a recurring dream I used to have. I was
in Baghdad chatting to Saddam Hussein when I just mentioned that
magnificent monument of the crossed swords would look even more
magnificent if the blades were painted yellow and the plinth red to
represent the sun under which the country thrived and the blood spilled
in its name and he really like the idea.
Unfortunately, when viewed from the north (or it might have been the
south - I never was that sure) it looked just like the McDonald's logo
And He Was Furious. I spent the rest of the dream running away from
him and Colonel Gaddafi and Idi Amin who were suddenly all together and
all out to get me.
For the Love of God, Nick, see a doctor!

:-)
2019-07-02 17:41:46 UTC
Aaaaaargh! You've reminded me of a recurring dream I used to have. I was
in Baghdad chatting to Saddam Hussein when I just mentioned that
magnificent monument of the crossed swords would look even more
magnificent if the blades were painted yellow and the plinth red to
represent the sun under which the country thrived and the blood spilled
in its name and he really like the idea.
Unfortunately, when viewed from the north (or it might have been the
south - I never was that sure) it looked just like the McDonald's logo
And He Was Furious. I spent the rest of the dream running away from
him and Colonel Gaddafi and Idi Amin who were suddenly all together and
all out to get me.
For the Love of God, Nick, see a doctor!
:-)
Or write the screenplay!
Paul Herber
2019-07-02 19:33:26 UTC
[...]
The Butcher of Uganda, purveyor of fine meats, Always something nice in the freezer ...
but fries are off, and you forget the veggie burger.
--
Regards, Paul Herber
http://www.paulherber.co.uk/
Dumrat
2019-07-02 19:53:12 UTC
Post by Paul Herber
Post by Nick Odell
Aaaaaargh! You've reminded me of a recurring dream I used to have. I was
in Baghdad chatting to Saddam Hussein when I just mentioned that
magnificent monument of the crossed swords would look even more
magnificent if the blades were painted yellow and the plinth red to
represent the sun under which the country thrived and the blood spilled
in its name and he really like the idea.
Unfortunately, when viewed from the north (or it might have been the
south - I never was that sure) it looked just like the McDonald's logo
And He Was Furious. I spent the rest of the dream running away from
him and Colonel Gaddafi and Idi Amin who were suddenly all together and
all out to get me.
The Butcher of Uganda, purveyor of fine meats, Always something nice in the freezer ...
but fries are off, and you forget the veggie burger.
Why am I reminded of lima beans and Chianti? She asked, sheepishly.
--
Salaam Alaykum,
Anne, Exceptionally Traditionally-built Dumrat
Dumrat
2019-07-02 19:54:59 UTC
Post by Dumrat
Post by Paul Herber
Post by Nick Odell
[...]
Or even fava beans and Chianti. Marmalade and Paddington. Oh, I don't know.
steveski
2019-07-02 21:17:18 UTC
On Tue, 02 Jul 2019 23:54:59 +0400, Dumrat wrote:

[]
2019-07-02 21:15:23 UTC
Twitter. I recently tweeted a picture of Folkestone's "step short
memorial arch", which to my eyes bears an uncanny resemblance to half
of the McDonalds logo - and is 60 yards from a branch, which joint
coincidences seem - well, ...; your following of me seemed to have
started about the time I tweeted that.
Aaaaaargh! You've reminded me of a recurring dream I used to have. I
was in Baghdad chatting to Saddam Hussein when I just mentioned that
As one does (-:!
Post by Nick Odell
magnificent monument of the crossed swords would look even more
magnificent if the blades were painted yellow and the plinth red to
represent the sun under which the country thrived and the blood spilled
in its name and he really like the idea.
Unfortunately, when viewed from the north (or it might have been the
south - I never was that sure) it looked just like the McDonald's logo
And He Was Furious. I spent the rest of the dream running away from
him and Colonel Gaddafi and Idi Amin who were suddenly all together and
all out to get me.
Nick
Sounds like a fun dream! Glad it's one you "used to" have, from which I
presume you no longer do.
Here's the picture I tweeted:
extra lamppost signs were only there for Sunday's Armed Forces Memorial
Day, or whatever it was. (Good display by the Red Arrows.) The branch
_is_ just round the corner to the left of the arch, though.

... there were parts of Roman York that appear to be more ethnically mixed
than parts of modern York. - David Olusoga, RT 2016/11/5-11
Penny
2019-07-01 09:20:15 UTC
On Mon, 1 Jul 2019 06:18:30 +0100, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
me, and mostly does; I take advantage of that with companies. For
one of their surveys.
I used to do that when using @freeuk.com addresses (my identifier going
between @ and freeuk). It didn't work with the BBC who would not let me
register an email address which included BBC.
2019-07-01 17:57:44 UTC
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
me, and mostly does; I take advantage of that with companies. For
one of their surveys.
register an email address which included BBC.
Interesting! Probably a primitive mechanism to stop autolooping, to stop
anyone faking a BBC address which could cause the auto-acknowledgement
to trigger an auto-acknowledgement which ... . I suspect slight
modification - B-B-C or B.B.C - would have been accepted.

Mike
2019-07-01 18:03:45 UTC
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
me, and mostly does; I take advantage of that with companies. For
one of their surveys.
register an email address which included BBC.
Interesting! Probably a primitive mechanism to stop autolooping, to stop
anyone faking a BBC address which could cause the auto-acknowledgement
to trigger an auto-acknowledgement which ... . I suspect slight
modification - B-B-C or B.B.C - would have been accepted.
I used ‘beeb’ at some point...
2019-07-01 18:23:37 UTC
https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/04/29/who-me/