Headphones
2020-01-19 22:33:08 UTC
Umrats know everything.

I bought some Sony noise cancelling headphones about 4 years ago. They
were not cheap.

These are the large over the ear type. I tend to use them on holiday
but thought that they would keep my ears warm whilst walking the dog(s)
this week (the number of dogs varied during the week, 3 then 1 now 2).

On picking them up I noticed the lining had perished and whilst they
still work they are clearly past their best.

They are obviously well out of guarantee - and will soon start to look
untidy. I just wondered if anyone feels this is a reasonable life for
such items?
2020-01-20 00:57:39 UTC
Umrats know everything.
I bought some Sony noise cancelling headphones about 4 years ago. They
were not cheap.
These are the large over the ear type. I tend to use them on holiday
but thought that they would keep my ears warm whilst walking the dog(s)
this week (the number of dogs varied during the week, 3 then 1 now 2).
On picking them up I noticed the lining had perished and whilst they
still work they are clearly past their best.
They are obviously well out of guarantee - and will soon start to look
untidy. I just wondered if anyone feels this is a reasonable life for
such items?
Being a registered Old Git I would say so but in this moddun world I
would be shouted down.

When the market is saturated (ever expanding capitalism, anyone?) with
products that actually, last things are then made with shorter and
shorter built in obsolescence.
2020-01-20 01:00:43 UTC
When the market is saturated (ever expanding capitalism, anyone?) with
products that actually, last things are then made with shorter and
shorter built in obsolescence.
Oops - the comma should have been after 'last' rather than 'actually' :-)
SODAM
2020-01-20 09:57:45 UTC
When the market is saturated (ever expanding capitalism, anyone?) with
products that actually, last things are then made with shorter and
shorter built in obsolescence.
Oops - the comma should have been after 'last' rather than 'actually' :-)
We aren’t judging you’re punctuation.
--
SODAM
The thinking umrat’s choice for editor
Sid Nuncius
2020-01-20 06:13:56 UTC
Umrats know everything.
I bought some Sony noise cancelling headphones about 4 years ago.  They
were not cheap.
These are the large over the ear type.  I tend to use them on holiday
but thought that they would keep my ears warm whilst walking the dog(s)
this week (the number of dogs varied during the week, 3 then 1 now 2).
On picking them up I noticed the lining had perished and whilst they
still work they are clearly past their best.
They are obviously well out of guarantee - and will soon start to look
untidy.  I just wondered if anyone feels this is a reasonable life for
such items?
With that sort of useage it's not really, but the perished bits may be
replaceable. If by "lining" you mean the padding on the earcups,
they're almost certainly replaceable fairly cheaply. I have an old but
very good set of Bose noise-cancelling headphones which are now on their
fourth set of earcup pads.

Well worth having a google to see.
2020-01-20 08:44:59 UTC
Umrats know everything.
I bought some Sony noise cancelling headphones about 4 years ago. They
were not cheap.
These are the large over the ear type. I tend to use them on holiday
but thought that they would keep my ears warm whilst walking the dog(s)
this week (the number of dogs varied during the week, 3 then 1 now 2).
On picking them up I noticed the lining had perished and whilst they
still work they are clearly past their best.
They are obviously well out of guarantee - and will soon start to look
untidy. I just wondered if anyone feels this is a reasonable life for
such items?
Not sure about Sony but, I have had occasion to replace the ear pads on
some Beyer headphones and bought spares to do so - don’t know what Sony
spares policy is though.
2020-01-20 09:15:27 UTC
Umrats know everything.
I bought some Sony noise cancelling headphones about 4 years ago. They
were not cheap.
These are the large over the ear type. I tend to use them on holiday
but thought that they would keep my ears warm whilst walking the dog(s)
this week (the number of dogs varied during the week, 3 then 1 now 2).
On picking them up I noticed the lining had perished and whilst they
still work they are clearly past their best.
They are obviously well out of guarantee - and will soon start to look
untidy. I just wondered if anyone feels this is a reasonable life for
such items?
Not sure about Sony but, I have had occasion to replace the ear pads on
some Beyer headphones and bought spares to do so - don’t know what Sony
spares policy is though.
I don't know which model you have, krw, but there are plenty of Sony
replacement earpads available:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/b/Sony-Headphone-Covers/112529/bn_7023578307

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=sony+replacement+ear+pads

and doubtless other places. A more specific search should find what you
need (if the ear pads are the problem, of course).
2020-01-20 11:15:30 UTC
[...]
Mny thanks umrats, I had never considered they were either removeable or
replaceable. Order placed for something which is claimed to be a
replacement. Sony's third party supplier did not seem to have anything
- but that was rather as I had expected.
2020-01-21 14:10:47 UTC
Why?
krw
2020-01-21 14:35:04 UTC
Post by krw
this week (the number of dogs varied during the week, 3 then 1 now 2).
Why?
They come here on holiday. So jack russell Soda is here for about a
month whilst his owners sun themselves in Australia.

At the start of the week Joey (cross Lab / Collie) and Bramble (pure
Lab) both black were resident whilst their owners went ski-ing.

They went home and towards the end of the week Lucy (black working
cocker spaniel) arrived as her owners went ski-ing.
You do doggy daycare? Or weekly dog boarders?
krw
2020-01-23 13:22:04 UTC
Post by krw
this week (the number of dogs varied during the week, 3 then 1 now 2).
Why?
They come here on holiday. So jack russell Soda is here for about a
month whilst his owners sun themselves in Australia.
At the start of the week Joey (cross Lab / Collie) and Bramble (pure
Lab) both black were resident whilst their owners went ski-ing.
They went home and towards the end of the week Lucy (black working
cocker spaniel) arrived as her owners went ski-ing.
You do doggy daycare? Or weekly dog boarders?
Doggy boarders mainly - when we are not travelling ourselves we usually
have a pooch in the house. Normally we only take one family's pet(s) at
a time but Soda - the Jack Russell is a friendly little thing and not
too territorial so we have been able to welcome some other regulars to
stay - we have done odd days before but our last CQC inspection gave us
a 5 star rating so we are taking extra bookings where we know the
animals and believe them to be capable of not causing warfare if
co-resident. There are some regulars where we would not overlap - Soda
has been far more accommodating than I had expected not getting upsest
when Joey was playing with his toys!
2020-01-23 13:46:02 UTC
Post by krw
[...]
That sounds so nice. I'd love to host another dog but Bobby would
possibly be upset. He barks at other dogs inthe street or park, never
mind here. And Harryet Pottercat would bully it.

CQC?
Mike
2020-01-23 14:10:28 UTC
Post by krw
[...]
Canine Quality Care...
2020-01-23 15:48:43 UTC
CQC?
Not really but until the new regulations came in we were visited
annually by a vet who checked us in the same detail as a kennels or
cattery. The visit this time was not a fully qualified vet but with a
far more detailed checklist which we almost failed because our emergency
instructions do not have an emergency number on it (apparently adding
999 was adequate!). The checklist was repetitive and also changed
previously accepted rules. EG previously we could leave a dog
unattended for four hour (not that we did - but it meant we could get to
London for a show knowing our daughter would be home at the end of 4
hours). This was abitrarily reduced to 3 and the person carrying out
the check could not explain why.

Having been given 5 stars we will not face an inspection for three
years, which might co-incide with when we stop.
2020-01-23 15:32:30 UTC
Doggy boarders mainly - when we are not travelling ourselves we usually
have a pooch in the house.  Normally we only take one family's pet(s) at
a time but Soda - the Jack Russell is a friendly little thing and not
too territorial so we have been able to welcome some other regulars to
stay - we have done odd days before but our last CQC inspection gave us
a 5 star rating so we are taking extra bookings where we know the
animals and believe them to be capable of not causing warfare if
co-resident.  There are some regulars where we would not overlap - Soda
has been far more accommodating than I had expected not getting upsest
when Joey was playing with his toys!
On the subject of doggy good behaviour, or lack of it ...

I rather like Graham Umbrella on Five who puts the blame for badness
firmly on the owners. I very much like that on 2 occasions recently he
has removed harnesses from very big dogs and told the owners to use the
collar, instead. I've never understood the current fashion for
harnesses; yes for smaller dogs (1) and VERY well-behaved larger ones
but on many dogs they make no sense at all. With horses one puts a
harness on when WANTS the animal to pull and the harness gives it the
ability to do so; for basic control and steerage one uses a headcollar
and for maximum effect a bridle, which is a headcollar with a bit in the
animal's mouth.

However, I'm surprised he doesn't recommend a headcollar (Halti) for
these very large, boisterous dogs as they not only allow even more
control than a collar but are also much kinder and gentler for the dog.
(My Feisty always wore a heacollar for her comfort. Now she usually
wears a harness because she is often on a coupling lead with Plum but
she is old and a bit unsteady on her legs so control is never a problem.)

One thing which horrified me in a recent programme was him allowing the
owner of a large, strong dog to tell her parent to "wrap the lead round
your hand." Hopefully the training will take effect and the dog will
forever behave beautifully, but if it SHOULD ever lunge away for some
reason it would be far, far preferable for the lead to be dropped than
for the person holding it to be dragged to the ground or - worse - into
the path of a vehicle.

(1) Especially for those, like Plum, whose faces don't lend themselves
to a headcollar.
Wrexham, UK
krw
2020-02-03 15:16:04 UTC
Mny thanks umrats, I had never considered they were either removeable or
replaceable.  Order placed for something which is claimed to be a
replacement.  Sony's third party supplier did not seem to have anything
- but that was rather as I had expected.
Hi everyone who helped with this and thank you again. Replacement ear
muffs arrived this morning and after a huge fight have been fitted (but
not used. Marginally different colour but will no doubt be heavily used
on flight later this week.

They came all the way from China too! So if I get anything nasty you
know why.
Eeeeek ! Have a good trip...
Chris McMillan
2020-02-05 19:04:33 UTC
Mny thanks umrats, I had never considered they were either removeable or
replaceable.  Order placed for something which is claimed to be a
replacement.  Sony's third party supplier did not seem to have anything
- but that was rather as I had expected.
Hi everyone who helped with this and thank you again. Replacement ear
muffs arrived this morning and after a huge fight have been fitted (but
not used. Marginally different colour but will no doubt be heavily used
on flight later this week.
They came all the way from China too! So if I get anything nasty you
know why.
We were wondering whether they had even been manufactured! Mind you, I
think where workers live in on site factory dormitory blocks some factories
may well be in production still.

2020-01-21 11:46:35 UTC
On Sun, 19 Jan 2020 22:33:08 +0000, krw <***@whitnet.uk> scrawled in the
dust...
Post by krw
Umrats know everything.
I bought some Sony noise cancelling headphones about 4 years ago. They
were not cheap.
These are the large over the ear type. I tend to use them on holiday
but thought that they would keep my ears warm whilst walking the dog(s)
this week (the number of dogs varied during the week, 3 then 1 now 2).
On picking them up I noticed the lining had perished and whilst they
still work they are clearly past their best.
I suspect your new pads will last longer if you store them in a drawer or
cupboard and maybe cover them with a hat when dog-walking. UV seems to kill
many man-made materials.