New Archers episodes reveal life under lockdown in Ambridge
2020-05-19 21:06:53 UTC
https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2020/may/19/the-archers-episodes-lockdown-ambridge-radio-4-rural-soap-coronavirus
krw
2020-05-19 22:54:47 UTC
https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2020/may/19/the-archers-episodes-lockdown-ambridge-radio-4-rural-soap-coronavirus
Thank you Vicky. If they go back in the studio on June 4, if they have
the scripts for old style Ambridge we get back to normality in what
Mid-July?

Painful.
2020-05-20 07:02:54 UTC
https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2020/may/19/the-archers-episodes-lockdown-ambridge-radio-4-rural-soap-coronavirus
Thank you Vicky. If they go back in the studio on June 4, if they have
the scripts for old style Ambridge we get back to normality in what
Mid-July?
Painful.
I can't see them returning to the studio on 4th June. What makes you think
that? Anyway, when they do finally get back in the studio, the unused
scripts and storylines will probably not be valid any more.
Mike Ruddock
2020-05-20 07:41:33 UTC
https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2020/may/19/the-archers-episodes-lockdown-ambridge-radio-4-rural-soap-coronavirus
Thank you Vicky. If they go back in the studio on June 4, if they have
the scripts for old style Ambridge we get back to normality in what
Mid-July?
Painful.
I can't see them returning to the studio on 4th June. What makes you think
that? Anyway, when they do finally get back in the studio, the unused
scripts and storylines will probably not be valid any more.
It looks as though there will be only four episodes per week: on Sunday
there is no slot reserved for TA according to the RT, but I don't know
if this will be a continuing pattern.

Mike Ruddock
Serena Blanchflower
2020-05-20 08:25:54 UTC
Post by Mike Ruddock
https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2020/may/19/the-archers-episodes-lockdown-ambridge-radio-4-rural-soap-coronavirus
Thank you Vicky.  If they go back in the studio on June 4, if they have
the scripts for old style Ambridge we get back to normality in what
Mid-July?
Painful.
I can't see them returning to the studio on 4th June. What makes you think
that?  Anyway, when they do finally get back in the studio, the unused
scripts and storylines will probably not be valid any more.
It looks as though there will be only four episodes per week: on Sunday
there is no slot reserved for TA according to the RT, but I don't know
if this will be a continuing pattern.
Yes, I think that was announced some time ago. I think that's the plan
for the duration of this form of TA.
--
Happy hibernating and stay well,
best wishes, Serena
can prevent them from nesting in your hair. (Chinese proverb)
krw
2020-05-20 08:57:48 UTC
I can't see them returning to the studio on 4th June. What makes you think
that?
Patently they cannot properly record the programme at home. Schools are
due back on 1 June. TV programmes are going back to work in early June.
The WHO recommends 1 metre physical distance. So get the actors back
on the land in the village. Farm workers are rarely as close as 1
metre, the two shops can be fixed, only The Bull won't be open.

I keep getting annoyed by people saying that they can't do things. They
have had since there was a temporary break to plan for the ways to do
things - so they should be ready.
2020-05-20 11:39:20 UTC
I can't see them returning to the studio on 4th June. What makes you think
that?
Patently they cannot properly record the programme at home.  Schools are
due back on 1 June.  TV programmes are going back to work in early June.
 The WHO recommends 1 metre physical distance.  So get the actors back
on the land in the village.
YACharlesWindsorAICM5DuchyOriginals

2020-05-20 11:43:51 UTC
On Wed, 20 May 2020 09:57:48 +0100, krw <***@whitnet.uk> scrawled in the
dust...
Post by krw
I keep getting annoyed by people saying that they can't do things. They
have had since there was a temporary break to plan for the ways to do
things - so they should be ready.
It's taken a while to sink in for some people (and many still haven't got
their heads around it).

Not helped by vague or contradictory and ever-changing advice (guidelines,
not rules) even before they started being different in England from
everywhere else. Misleading graphic displays which seem to put the problem
in the US as much worse than ours - on a deaths per million basis we were
3rd (behind Belgium and Spain) while USA came in at 11th last time I
checked.

Then there is the matter of the actual individuals involved, who they live
with and what their health status is.
2020-05-20 18:00:24 UTC
The WHO recommends 1 metre physical distance.
Talking of which... It was only a short time ago that the
recommendation was 2m with solemn head-shaking over the way this could
only be a compromise since with the wind in the right direction virii
can float much further. Now it is only 1m: does an inverse square law
not apply here? Or are we now applying the root-mean-square law of
economic necessity?(1)

Nick
(1)I made that up
Mike
2020-05-20 21:57:54 UTC
https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2020/may/19/the-archers-episodes-lockdown-ambridge-radio-4-rural-soap-coronavirus
Thank you Vicky. If they go back in the studio on June 4, if they have
the scripts for old style Ambridge we get back to normality in what
Mid-July?
Painful.
I can't see them returning to the studio on 4th June. What makes you think
that? Anyway, when they do finally get back in the studio, the unused
scripts and storylines will probably not be valid any more.
Everyone else seems to be phoning it in (The Ukulele Orchestra of Great
Britain have a couple of good examples on YouTube).
Why oh why can't TA do this?
2020-05-20 23:22:59 UTC
https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2020/may/19/the-archers-epis
odes-lockdown-ambridge-radio-4-rural-soap-coronavirus
Thank you Vicky. If they go back in the studio on June 4, if they have
the scripts for old style Ambridge we get back to normality in what
Mid-July?
Painful.
I can't see them returning to the studio on 4th June. What makes you think
that? Anyway, when they do finally get back in the studio, the unused
scripts and storylines will probably not be valid any more.
Everyone else seems to be phoning it in (The Ukulele Orchestra of Great
Britain have a couple of good examples on YouTube).
Why oh why can't TA do this?
They need to be able to react to each other.

Most, if not all, of the musical collaborations being shown are being
shown dishonestly: the musicians are playing (or singing) along to a
"click track" or similar, with their contributions being combined by a
clever sound person; they're _not_ listening to each other. (Ever done
any of that, Mike?) Actors having an actual conversation would find that
very difficult - and if it _was_ done (words precisely timed), it would
sound very stilted.

Ask not for whom the bell tolls; let the machine get it
Mike
2020-05-21 07:28:10 UTC
[...]
I have ‘multi-tracked’ artists when they have been temporally distanced; I
have done this with musical works and also for ‘conversations’ between
actors for training material too. The ‘click track’ for some of these
latter sessions was often another voice just speaking the missing parts
that are subsequently removed. Some actors find it easier than others to
react and empathise appropriately unless they have the ‘other voices’
spoken to them. Yes, timing is also key but, in a studio and with digital
editing facilities, this is rarely a problem to get ‘right’.
2020-05-21 18:54:46 UTC
[...]
Laura Rossi composed a score as the soundtrack to the WW1 film The
Battle of the Somme which was performed live with the film in the
presence of the composer by the Kirklees Youth Orchestra.
https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/whats-on/arts-culture-news/kirklees-musica-youth-orchestra-the-12807959

The whole, live performance was synchronised with a click-track for
the conductor. No easy feat: no going back to do it again if something
was not right.

2020-05-21 21:55:16 UTC
https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2020/may/19/the-archers-epis
odes-lockdown-ambridge-radio-4-rural-soap-coronavirus
Thank you Vicky.  If they go back in the studio on June 4, if they have
the scripts for old style Ambridge we get back to normality in what
Mid-July?
Painful.
 I can't see them returning to the studio on 4th June. What makes you
think
that?  Anyway, when they do finally get back in the studio, the unused
scripts and storylines will probably not be valid any more.
Everyone else seems to be phoning it in (The Ukulele Orchestra of
Great Britain have a couple of good examples on YouTube).
Why oh why can't TA do this?
They need to be able to react to each other.
Most, if not all, of the musical collaborations being shown are being
Since the technology used introduces (musically) significant delays, the
only way it can possibly work is if the separate recordings are pasted
together afterwards. This could only be 'dishonest' if they were
pretending it to be entirely 'live' which is not so in the videos I have
watched.
2020-05-21 22:25:51 UTC
They need to be able to react to each other.
Most, if not all, of the musical collaborations being shown are
Since the technology used introduces (musically) significant delays,
the only way it can possibly work is if the separate recordings are
pasted together afterwards. This could only be 'dishonest' if they
were pretending it to be entirely 'live' which is not so in the videos
I have watched.
Weeell ...
I'd say dishonesty by not saying anything. A lot of the ones that have
got wide coverage - the Captain (now Colonel) Tom one, for example, and
several others: OK, nobody explicitly _said_ they were done live, but
IMO there was more than I believe credible (if no deception was
intended) care taken _not_ to say that they _weren't_, so anyone who
doesn't know would have _assumed_ it was.

It'd be like covering a journey in an electric car from London to
Inverness without _mentioning_ the recharge that would be needed; OK,
you could say nobody explicitly _said_ you could do it in one go, but if
nobody _mentioned_ it, ...

Experience is the comb life gives you after you lose your hair. -Judith Stearn
OzTony
2020-05-23 00:05:59 UTC
If you haven't heard it check out Front Row https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000j9kw - wasn't grabbed personally
Chris McMillan
2020-05-23 18:12:47 UTC
Post by OzTony
Post by Vicky Ayech
https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2020/may/19/the-archers-episodes-lockdown-ambridge-radio-4-rural-soap-coronavirus
If you haven't heard it check out Front Row
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000j9kw - wasn't grabbed personally
I did. Got to be better than the past weeks. I quite liked Josh’s trail
though.