Sky
2019-08-09 16:06:09 UTC
Hi there how can I help you today?

My Sky box is broken.

Let me sell you a new box. £30 up front and another £13 a month on top
of your current payment and you can record six channels at once and
watch a seventh and that can be in the bedroom

I don't have a tv in the bedroom so how would I watch it?

Well in another room then?

But with only one tv it is too large to move to another room. So to
repair your broken box which I don't own I have to pay an extra 50% a
month (I currently pay £22 a month) and don't own the box as you always
retain ownership and I have lost all my recordings which will cost me a
fortune in box sets.

We might be able to do something - goes away. Comes back - we can
supply a simpler box, no multiroom, still £22 a month and £199 for the
new box we will lend you plus £30 installation fee.

But it is your hardware that is broken?

Sorry we no longer supply those boxes but we can book an engineer visit
for £65.

Well how about upgrading my package to include something extra?

No the computer will not allow.

We are both human beings - not computers.

And it carried on for ages.

Meanwhile the wife keeps telling me about all the wonderful deals all
her friends get from Sky and I cannot get them to budge.

I have not had a good day.
2019-08-09 23:19:02 UTC
On Fri, 9 Aug 2019 17:06:09 +0100, krw <***@whitnet.uk> scrawled in the
dust...
Post by krw
Hi there how can I help you today?
My Sky box is broken.
--8<--
Post by krw
Meanwhile the wife keeps telling me about all the wonderful deals all
her friends get from Sky and I cannot get them to budge.
I have not had a good day.
Sky are the pits!
During our brief relationship I could never get through to them on the
phone so used to email my complaints instead. These were always answered by
people with Asian names who seemed to understand what my problem was and
assured me it would be sorted.

Every month for 6 months after I cancelled I would receive 2 letters from
different people at Sky. One from department A telling me I owed them £nn
(increasing to £nnn by the end of this) and the other from department B
telling me I was quite right, I didn't owe them anything and apologising
for the hassle. I would send department A's letter back to department B.

Eventually department A transferred my non-debt to a recovery service and I
got a letter from them (along with the usual one from department B) and I
got quite upset. I sent a letter in an envelope addressed to the CEO
explaining the harassments I had been suffering and a few days later
received a grovelling phone call from a nice chap in Scotland who
apologised a lot and asked what I wanted.

I probably should have asked for money as compensation for it all but I
just wanted it to stop - which is what I said. I also asked for a letter
from the debt recovery company but he said he couldn't arrange that.

Fortunately, since then, apart from fliers which go straight in the
recycling, I have not heard from them again. Last time I tried to use their
box (I have a Freesat box now) it didn't work. I had bought it on a 'pay
once watch forever deal'.
2019-08-10 18:56:44 UTC
Fortunately, since then, apart from fliers which go straight in the
recycling, I have not heard from them again. Last time I tried to use their
box (I have a Freesat box now) it didn't work. I had bought it on a 'pay
once watch forever deal'.
"Pay once watch forever" is probably defined in just the same way as
TomTom's "Lifetime map updates" where "Lifetime" means "until we decide
to stop it".
2019-08-10 20:41:14 UTC
Fortunately, since then, apart from fliers which go straight in the
recycling, I have not heard from them again. Last time I tried to use their
box (I have a Freesat box now) it didn't work. I had bought it on a 'pay
once watch forever deal'.
"Pay once watch forever" is probably defined in just the same way as
TomTom's "Lifetime map updates" where "Lifetime" means "until we decide
to stop it".
Presumably, you have grounds for demanding the refund of whatever you
paid for that. If only on principle.

... there were parts of Roman York that appear to be more ethnically mixed
than parts of modern York. - David Olusoga, RT 2016/11/5-11
Sam Plusnet
2019-08-11 19:12:27 UTC
Fortunately, since then, apart from fliers which go straight in the
recycling, I have not heard from them again. Last time I tried to use their
box (I have a Freesat box now) it didn't work. I had bought it on a 'pay
once watch forever deal'.
"Pay once watch forever" is probably defined in just the same way as
TomTom's "Lifetime map updates" where "Lifetime" means "until we
decide to stop it".
Presumably, you have grounds for demanding the refund of whatever you
paid for that. If only on principle.
I'm sure that anyone could "demand", but that isn't the same as getting.

Their definition of "Lifetime" is (no doubt) covered on page 136 of
those terms & conditions which you have to tick in order to make the
purchase - or download something or other.
2019-08-10 21:07:38 UTC
On Fri, 9 Aug 2019 17:06:09 +0100, krw <***@whitnet.uk> wrote:

<snip tales of lots of money and lots of woe>
Post by krw
I have not had a good day.
Ma used to have Sky. She *never* watched *any* Sky channels, but used
the box to record the stuff on freeview channels. Sky kept upping the
price and I kept calling them to find out why she was paying so much
for not watching any sky channels.

In the end, I told them we were sick of her being taken for a ride,
and after a lot of aggro, we finally got them to go away.

I bought her a Freesat box, plugged it in and tuned it and it all
works perfectly and records everything she wants.

Meanwhile, I installed a Now TV box in my room, so I can watch all the
Sky channels Ma doesn't watch on my Now TV subscription while I'm at
hers. But mostly I only watch the box sets.