calling Chris McToodles
2021-07-03 09:48:54 UTC
Hallo dear Chris - I think you may have been hacked, I received one of
those 'asking for a favour' emails this morning which didn't sound like
you at all! It did apparently come from an address you use - here are
the headers:
Date: Sat, 3 Jul 2021 10:11:59 +0100 (BST)
From: Chris Mcmillan <***@ntlworld.com>
Subject: Checking in

If it is really you, write again and mention the BBQ! xxx
2021-07-03 10:16:57 UTC
On Sat, 3 Jul 2021 10:48:54 +0100, Kate B <***@nospam.demon.co.uk>
scrawled in the dust...
Date: Sat, 3 Jul 2021 10:11:59 +0100 (BST)
If it is really you, write again and mention the BBQ! xxx
I suspect this is spoofing rather than hacking.
I get them regularly apparently from a Geograph contributor I once had an
email exchange with and also from D#2, though not always with their correct
from addresses.
Hmm, thinking again I suppose it does indicate their contact list has been
compromised.
2021-07-03 10:17:12 UTC
Date: Sat, 3 Jul 2021 10:11:59 +0100 (BST)
If it is really you, write again and mention the BBQ! xxx
I got one too and was about to make the same enquiry.
Wrexham, UK
Vicky Ayech
2021-07-03 10:44:29 UTC
Date: Sat, 3 Jul 2021 10:11:59 +0100 (BST)
I got one and replied :(
Jim Easterbrook
2021-07-03 11:19:22 UTC
Date: Sat, 3 Jul 2021 10:11:59 +0100 (BST)
If it is really you, write again and mention the BBQ! xxx
I got one too and was about to make the same enquiry.
MTAAW. Doesn't read like our Chris at all.

"Good morning,

How are you doing? Hope you and your family are safe and healthy ? I was
wondering if i can get a quick favour from you.

Stay safe are well !"
2021-07-03 11:23:23 UTC
Date: Sat, 3 Jul 2021 10:11:59 +0100 (BST)
If it is really you, write again and mention the BBQ! xxx
I got one too and was about to make the same enquiry.
MTAAW. Doesn't read like our Chris at all.
"Good morning,
How are you doing? Hope you and your family are safe and healthy ? I was
wondering if i can get a quick favour from you.
Stay safe are well !"
Indeed. "Safe ARE well " ???

However Jim, I DO have a favour to ask of you if you still have your 3D
printer. I'll email you offline, just so you know it really is me...
Chris
2021-07-03 11:55:44 UTC
Date: Sat, 3 Jul 2021 10:11:59 +0100 (BST)
If it is really you, write again and mention the BBQ! xxx
I got one too and was about to make the same enquiry.
MTAAW. Doesn't read like our Chris at all.
"Good morning,
How are you doing? Hope you and your family are safe and healthy ? I was
wondering if i can get a quick favour from you.
Stay safe are well !"
And the follow up to one or two who replied showed a proton mail inviting
my friends to buy Google gift cards.

2021-07-03 12:23:27 UTC
Subject: Re: Checking in
From: Chris Mcmillan <***@protonmail.com>
Date: Sat, 03 Jul 2021 10:50:08 +0000

Hi Alan,

I am sorry for bothering you with this mail it's because I am
unavailable on phone , I need to get Google play gift cards for my
nephew , his mum passed away to covid last month and It's his birthday
but i can't do this now because I'm currently out of town and I've
tried purchasing online but unfortunately no luck with the
email-delivery. Can you get it from any store around you and email it
to me? I'll pay back as soon as I'm back. Kindly let me know if you
can handle this.
Await your soonest response.

Thanks,

Chris
Hi Chris
Thank you, yes. I hope you are all ok too.
What is the favour?
Kate B
2021-07-03 15:05:29 UTC
Date: Sat, 03 Jul 2021 10:50:08 +0000
Hi Alan,
I am sorry for bothering you with this mail it's because I am
unavailable on phone , I need to get Google play gift cards for my
nephew , his mum passed away to covid last month and It's his birthday
but i can't do this now because I'm currently out of town and I've
tried purchasing online but unfortunately no luck with the
email-delivery. Can you get it from any store around you and email it
to me? I'll pay back as soon as I'm back. Kindly let me know if you
can handle this.
Await your soonest response.
Thanks,
Chris
Hi Chris
Thank you, yes. I hope you are all ok too.
What is the favour?
Gosh, that's nasty. That means they really did hijack your email, not
just spoofed it. Hopefully changing your password will enable you to use
it again.
2021-07-03 15:29:52 UTC
Post by Chris
Date: Sat, 3 Jul 2021 10:11:59 +0100 (BST)
If it is really you, write again and mention the BBQ! xxx
I got one too and was about to make the same enquiry.
MTAAW. Doesn't read like our Chris at all.
"Good morning,
How are you doing? Hope you and your family are safe and healthy ? I was
wondering if i can get a quick favour from you.
Stay safe are well !"
And the follow up to one or two who replied showed a proton mail inviting
my friends to buy Google gift cards.
Chris
And then asked me if I could get them online!
2021-07-03 11:37:31 UTC
Date: Sat, 3 Jul 2021 10:11:59 +0100 (BST)
If it is really you, write again and mention the BBQ! xxx
I have had my email hacked. ON NO ACCOUNT reply to it or you will be asked
to buy Google gift cards and they will have accessed your bank account. I
have now taken the advice of Mac Computers and have adopted their computer
generated system. First time since I went on line in 1997 this is the
first time my email has been comprehensively hacked. Do not do as I have
and believed my email was safe as houses using my own idea of ‘strong
password’.

Well and truly hacked off.
Sally Thompson
2021-07-03 14:12:11 UTC
Date: Sat, 3 Jul 2021 10:11:59 +0100 (BST)
If it is really you, write again and mention the BBQ! xxx
I have had my email hacked. ON NO ACCOUNT reply to it or you will be asked
to buy Google gift cards and they will have accessed your bank account. I
have now taken the advice of Mac Computers and have adopted their computer
generated system. First time since I went on line in 1997 this is the
first time my email has been comprehensively hacked. Do not do as I have
and believed my email was safe as houses using my own idea of ‘strong
password’.
Well and truly hacked off.
I always use the computer generated strong passwords. It's a good system
and I don't have to remember any!
2021-07-03 16:40:01 UTC
Date: Sat, 3 Jul 2021 10:11:59 +0100 (BST)
If it is really you, write again and mention the BBQ! xxx
I have had my email hacked. ON NO ACCOUNT reply to it or you will be asked
to buy Google gift cards and they will have accessed your bank account. I
have now taken the advice of Mac Computers and have adopted their computer
generated system. First time since I went on line in 1997 this is the
first time my email has been comprehensively hacked. Do not do as I have
and believed my email was safe as houses using my own idea of ‘strong
password’.
Well and truly hacked off.
I always use the computer generated strong passwords. It's a good system
and I don't have to remember any!
But of course, VM is not compatible with this system as their maximum
character count permitted for passwords is 10 and the first has to be a
letter:-( , thus computer generated passwords can’t be used.
Toddle Pip, Mike McMillan
Sally Thompson
2021-07-03 20:05:09 UTC
Post by Mike McMillan
Date: Sat, 3 Jul 2021 10:11:59 +0100 (BST)
[...]
I'm mostly on my iPad. Don't use VM.
2021-07-04 09:32:07 UTC
Post by Mike McMillan
Date: Sat, 3 Jul 2021 10:11:59 +0100 (BST)
[...]
This all dates back to the earlier days of ISP’s laying in cables mainly
for TV signals and the cable runs the length of our road and had personhole
covers marked ‘CATV’ (whoever they were) sometime later, NTL came along and
offered deals to take their cable service but we had no need for TV then.
Still later they invited householders to use NTL as their ISP - we joined
then. Of course, they were bought out by VM and that’s how we happen to be
with them. Good speed but high prices - just don’t try ‘phoning them for
help unless you have all day free…
Toddle Pip, Mike McMillan
Chris B
2021-07-04 09:31:47 UTC
On 03/07/2021 12:37, Chris wrote:
Do not do as I have
Post by Chris
and believed my email was safe as houses using my own idea of ‘strong
password’.
Well and truly hacked off.
Commiserations that must be a real pain in the posterior I hope you
don't have the same password in use on multiple sites, and manage to get
your accounts back under your control.

Just so that we can all learn from your mistake, in hindsight can you
see what was wrong with your password?

How long was it?
Does it have a mix of all the usual items? Upper/lower/numbers/symbols
Combination of real words found in dictionary?

Essentially I'm asking for advice on how do we "not do as you have".

Do you have any idea how it happened, was it a data breach from another
company or a "lucky guess/brute force guess".
Chris B (News)
Mike McMillan
2021-07-04 09:39:49 UTC
Post by Chris
Do not do as I have
Post by Chris
and believed my email was safe as houses using my own idea of ‘strong
password’.
Well and truly hacked off.
Commiserations that must be a real pain in the posterior I hope you
don't have the same password in use on multiple sites, and manage to get
your accounts back under your control.
Just so that we can all learn from your mistake, in hindsight can you
see what was wrong with your password?
How long was it?
Does it have a mix of all the usual items? Upper/lower/numbers/symbols
Combination of real words found in dictionary?
Essentially I'm asking for advice on how do we "not do as you have".
Do you have any idea how it happened, was it a data breach from another
company or a "lucky guess/brute force guess".
The password was ten characters, mixed case and alpha and numeric all
mixed. No words or slang terms - really quite a random set. I’m only
guessing but I suspect a Facebook data breach (yes, I know, they *NEVER*
happen!) as Chris’s address book was used. Oh and no, no two sites or
services share passwords. From all this, I can only conclude we have been
very unfairly clobbered by some (deleted expletives) who’s neck I could
cheerfully wring.
Toddle Pip, Mike McMillan
Mike McMillan
2021-07-04 09:42:37 UTC
Post by Mike McMillan
Post by Chris
Do not do as I have
Post by Chris
[...]
I love (NOT!) the way Google try to access user’s address books when
offering an account!
Toddle Pip, Mike McMillan
Chris B
2021-07-04 09:46:01 UTC
Post by Mike McMillan
Post by Chris
Do not do as I have
Post by Chris
[...]
Wow, that certainly looks like you have done all you can to protect
from a brute force/guess. I assume it must be something less under your
own control.

I’m only
Chris B (News)
Philip Hole
2021-07-04 10:21:29 UTC
Post by Mike McMillan
    Do not do as I have
Post by Mike McMillan
guessing but I suspect a Facebook data breach (yes, I know, they *NEVER*
happen!) as Chris’s address book was used. Oh and no, no two sites or
services share passwords. From all this, I can only conclude we have been
very unfairly clobbered by some (deleted expletives) who’s neck I could
cheerfully wring.
Have you checked whether your email has been hacked?

Using:

https://haveibeenpwned.com/

***@virginmedia.com

- nothing is found.

However, our Birthday Monitor ..... :-(
--
Flop

https://haveibeenpwned.com/

***@leverton.org
Kate B
2021-07-04 14:03:56 UTC
Post by Philip Hole
Post by Mike McMillan
    Do not do as I have
Post by Mike McMillan
guessing but I suspect a Facebook data breach (yes, I know, they *NEVER*
happen!) as Chris’s address book was used. Oh and no, no two sites or
services share passwords. From all this, I can only conclude we have been
very unfairly clobbered by some (deleted expletives) who’s neck I could
cheerfully wring.
Have you checked whether your email has been hacked?
https://haveibeenpwned.com/
 - nothing is found.
However, our Birthday Monitor .....  :-(
And indeed, <***@ntlworld.com> has also been pwned, which is
the address that was used in the scam.
2021-07-04 16:28:06 UTC
Post by Kate B
Post by Philip Hole
Post by Mike McMillan
    Do not do as I have
Post by Mike McMillan
guessing but I suspect a Facebook data breach (yes, I know, they *NEVER*
happen!) as Chris’s address book was used. Oh and no, no two sites or
services share passwords. From all this, I can only conclude we have been
very unfairly clobbered by some (deleted expletives) who’s neck I could
cheerfully wring.
Have you checked whether your email has been hacked?
https://haveibeenpwned.com/
 - nothing is found.
However, our Birthday Monitor .....  :-(
the address that was used in the scam.
The only consolation is the she is in the company of millions of others!!!!
:-(((
Toddle Pip, Mike McMillan
BrritSki
2021-07-04 10:21:45 UTC
Post by Mike McMillan
Post by Chris
Do not do as I have
Post by Chris
[...]
Could it have anything to do with starting to use Eternal news service
last week ?
Mike McMillan
2021-07-04 12:07:22 UTC
Post by Mike McMillan
Post by Chris
Do not do as I have
Post by Chris
[...]
Dunno really, I started using ES a few weeks earlier and have not seen
anything untoward as yet…
Toddle Pip, Mike McMillan
Nick Odell
2021-07-10 13:23:06 UTC
Date: Sat, 3 Jul 2021 10:11:59 +0100 (BST)
If it is really you, write again and mention the BBQ! xxx
I have had my email hacked. ON NO ACCOUNT reply to it or you will be asked
to buy Google gift cards and they will have accessed your bank account. I
have now taken the advice of Mac Computers and have adopted their computer
generated system. First time since I went on line in 1997 this is the
first time my email has been comprehensively hacked. Do not do as I have
and believed my email was safe as houses using my own idea of ‘strong
password’.
Well and truly hacked off.
A new email from a Virginmedia email address, subject line "New Email
Addy" has turned up in my junk mail folder. If this is really from you
I'll move it into the inbox.

Date: Sat, 3 Jul 2021 10:11:59 +0100 (BST)
If it is really you, write again and mention the BBQ! xxx
I have had my email hacked. ON NO ACCOUNT reply to it or you will be asked
to buy Google gift cards and they will have accessed your bank account. I
have now taken the advice of Mac Computers and have adopted their computer
generated system. First time since I went on line in 1997 this is the
first time my email has been comprehensively hacked. Do not do as I have
and believed my email was safe as houses using my own idea of ‘strong
password’.
Well and truly hacked off.
A new email from a Virginmedia email address, subject line "New Email
Addy" has turned up in my junk mail folder. If this is really from you
I'll move it into the inbox.
Nick
Yup, that be me. I thought you might have seen the thread here already.

Mrs McT
Nick Odell
Date: Sat, 3 Jul 2021 10:11:59 +0100 (BST)
If it is really you, write again and mention the BBQ! xxx
I have had my email hacked. ON NO ACCOUNT reply to it or you will be asked
to buy Google gift cards and they will have accessed your bank account. I
have now taken the advice of Mac Computers and have adopted their computer
generated system. First time since I went on line in 1997 this is the
first time my email has been comprehensively hacked. Do not do as I have
and believed my email was safe as houses using my own idea of ?strong
password?.
Well and truly hacked off.
A new email from a Virginmedia email address, subject line "New Email
Addy" has turned up in my junk mail folder. If this is really from you
I'll move it into the inbox.
Nick
Yup, that be me. I thought you might have seen the thread here already.
Excellent. Thank you!

N.