Supposing it were drama rather than a FOTWD.
2018-04-04 13:31:07 UTC
Under such circumstances, the s/w’s could really let their imaginations run
riot and we could enjoy some preposterous and very unlikely story lines;

Things such as:

The local squire suddenly realising that he had sold his family fortune
down a poisonous river for a ‘happorth’ of tar today.

A veterinary practice that handled cats, dogs, gerbils, cows, horses and
any other furry creature that scurries, yet not need nursing assistance,
accountancy advice and services, reception staff - in fact no staff to
assist in any way.

A landlord who walked into the job by default of marriage without any
knowledge beyond knowing how to pour intoxicants down his own throat.

A business tycoon who fails to observe the most rudimentary guidelines in
running a business.

A jumped up dairy assistant who could overnight become an expert in the
manufacture and marketing of kefir whilst knowing all the finer points of
illness and allergies and how to treat them with kefir.

A lazy good for nothing daughter of the squire who’s only expertise is in
wheedling enormous sums of money and parcels of land out of the family
whilst erecting yurts and running a wellbeing and beauty parlour without
having staff or the need to put any time or effort into running the
enterprise - including paying no heed to HMRC requirements or keeping any
records yet miraculously being able to whistle up a comprehensive set of
pie charts, profit and loss predictions in full colour and all this with no
more than the odd five minutes of application to the work. Oh! And having
the ability to proffer advice to others on being a good mother and
childcare guidance despite having wrecked her own marriage and with
children by various fathers.

Having a family organic and health foods enterprise that can capture all
the local business - so well planned that the purchase of some goats
producing milk is not discussed with the cheese maker in the team. The pig
man can just toss aside the hard earned merit of being organic and fly off
around the world leaving his duties to .... no-one!

A retired academic widower who welcomes into his small home a loud-mouthed
untidy pig-man’s assistant with his ‘ripe’ workwear that is dumped in the
doorways and who has never realised that housework is a ‘shared’ activity
when lodging.

In fact, it is just as well The Archers is a FOTWD and no such preposterous
story lines are featured..... err.... isn’t it???
Steve Hague
2018-04-04 15:58:17 UTC
[...]
You couldn't make it up, could you.
Steve

---
2018-04-07 13:07:23 UTC
Post by Steve Hague
Post by Mike
[...]
Not forgetting the very elderly farmer who developed a farmer’s lung and is
still fit enough at 96 at drive a pony and cart, or the retired (?) elderly
farmer’s wife who still works 7 days a week baking, bee and chook keeping
and will be a full tine nanny before we know it.

2018-04-07 17:15:28 UTC
Post by Steve Hague
You couldn't make it up, could you.
Steve
---
(This POST hasn't.)
Post by Chris McMillan
Not forgetting the very elderly farmer who developed a farmer’s lung and is
still fit enough at 96 at drive a pony and cart, or the retired (?) elderly
Do you need insurance to drive a pony and cart?
Post by Chris McMillan
farmer’s wife who still works 7 days a week baking, bee and chook keeping
and will be a full tine nanny before we know it.
Sincerely Chris
John

A waist is a terrible thing to mind.
Btms
2018-04-07 19:17:23 UTC
Post by Chris McMillan
Not forgetting the very elderly farmer who developed a farmer’s lung and is
still fit enough at 96 at drive a pony and cart, or the retired (?) elderly
Do you need insurance to drive a pony and cart?
Did Jo start his carriage driving to follow HRH?
2018-04-07 21:45:19 UTC
Post by Chris McMillan
Not forgetting the very elderly farmer who developed a farmer’s lung
and is still fit enough at 96 at drive a pony and cart, or the retired
(?) elderly
Do you need insurance to drive a pony and cart?
Did Jo start his carriage driving to follow HRH?
If, like my father - born in 1912, you don't need to pass a test. You
have a licence to drive anything.
2018-04-07 22:11:42 UTC
Post by Chris McMillan
Not forgetting the very elderly farmer who developed a farmer’s lung
and is still fit enough at 96 at drive a pony and cart, or the retired
(?) elderly
Do you need insurance to drive a pony and cart?
Did Jo start his carriage driving to follow HRH?
If, like my father - born in 1912, you don't need to pass a test. You
have a licence to drive anything.
And if you got your licence before some date, as I did, you can drive a
motorbike (I think up to 250cc) on your car licence; people who passed
more recently can't. I've never actually done so, and I _suspect_ I'd
get stung for the insurance if I tried, but in theory.

The fifth bestselling detail of all time: the Ford Transit. (RT/C4 2015-5-24.)
steveski
2018-04-08 00:43:38 UTC
If, like my father - born in 1912, you don't need to pass a test. You
have a licence to drive anything.
And if you got your licence before some date, as I did, you can drive a
motorbike (I think up to 250cc) on your car licence; people who passed
more recently can't. I've never actually done so, and I _suspect_ I'd
get stung for the insurance if I tried, but in theory.
When I started motorcycling in about '73 you needed a provisional licence
which allowed up to 250cc (never mind all the moped regs for 16 year olds)
and passed my test on a BSA (Bloody Sore Arse) C15 and have been riding
ever since on a full licence (no cc restiction).

I *do* remember something about a car licence thingy but have forgotten.

Nowadays it's all quite complex with power output for new riders but I
just bimble along on the Beemer or Kwacker with the cheapest insurance
I've ever had :-)
2018-04-08 00:46:47 UTC
And if you got your licence before some date, as I did, you can drive a
motorbike (I think up to 250cc) on your car licence; people who passed
more recently can't. I've never actually done so, and I _suspect_ I'd
get stung for the insurance if I tried, but in theory.
When I started motorcycling in about '73 you needed a provisional
licence which allowed up to 250cc (never mind all the moped regs for 16
year olds)
and passed my test on a BSA (Bloody Sore Arse) C15 and have been riding
ever since on a full licence (no cc restiction).
I *do* remember something about a car licence thingy but have forgotten.
Nowadays it's all quite complex with power output for new riders but I
just bimble along on the Beemer or Kwacker with the cheapest insurance
I've ever had :-)
Bad form again but I've just remembered the licence thing. If you had a
full car licence you could use that in place of the provisional
motorcycle one.
2018-04-08 08:25:44 UTC
Bad form again but I've just remembered the licence thing. If you had a
full car licence you could use that in place of the provisional
motorcycle one.
Yes, you could ride a motorcycle up to 250cc with L plates if you had a
full car licence. They lowered the limit to 125cc around 1983. I
remember this because I'd been happily using L-plates while riding an MZ
125 (heaven help me, but it was all I could afford) and then my Honda
Superdream 250 on my full car licence for several years and it finally
made me enroll on a BMF course and then take (and pass, thanks to the
course) my test in 1983.

I'm not sure what the regs are these days. Sadly, it was only a few
years later (1986, possibly) when, on my way to work as usual, someone
pulled out of a side road without looking, knocking me off the bike. I
ended up lying some way down the road, straddling the white line with
the rush-hour traffic in the other lane whizzing by a few inches away.
I still don't like to think of the consequences if I'd ended up just a
couple of feet further over.

I was quite knocked about and a bit damaged, but good luck and a very
good Bell helmet (the marks on it were scary!) meant I wasn't seriously
hurt. The bike was a write-off. I did subsequently borrow a little
bike and I used it for a while, but wofe reckoned I'd had my warning and
I was inclined to agree, so after I returned it I never bought another
bike of my own.

I loved riding and I sometimes think fondly of my biking days, although
perhaps less fondly of the sopping wet feet and freezing hands which
sometimes resulted.

Er...no-one really wanted to know all that, did they? Sorry.
2018-04-08 08:45:05 UTC
[snip] > I
still don't like to think of the consequences if I'd ended up just a
couple of feet further over.
Nor do we, Sid, nor do we.

2018-04-08 10:07:01 UTC
[...]
The Honda 50 kept me mobile through my student years and
eventually I upgraded to a Honda 175, but was no longer doing
long runs. Sadly, I managed to collide with a car when I was
turning right. Luckily it was the bike that went down, whilst I
ended up on the car bonnet. I mended, after a spell with arm and
leg in plaster, the bike didn't, so it was back to a Honda 70,
which lasted me until my first car.

***@cdixon.me.uk
2018-04-08 10:37:01 UTC
Er...no-one really wanted to know all that, did they?  Sorry.
Don't be silly Sid, of course we did !

I've never quite seen the attraction myself, although I was very glad of
my friend giving me a lift to the ATC on his single pot 500cc BSA Gold
Star until the day that he remarked as he collected me that his oil leak
had gone away without realising that this was because there was no oil
left and the engine seized at 70. Luckily on a nice wide curving country
road and we stayed on it as it slid sideways and slowed down and were
saved any serious road rash when we rolled off by the thick uniforms we
were wearing. No helmets of course in 1965.
Jenny M Benson
2018-04-08 11:02:46 UTC
I've never quite seen the attraction myself, although I was very glad of
my friend giving me a lift to the ATC on his single pot 500cc BSA Gold
Star until the day that he remarked as he collected me that his oil leak
had gone away without realising that this was because there was no oil
left and the engine seized at 70. Luckily on a nice wide curving country
road and we stayed on it as it slid sideways and slowed down and were
saved any serious road rash when we rolled off by the thick uniforms we
were wearing. No helmets of course in 1965.
With all this recollection of motor-cycle accidents I am all the more
reminded how foolish (1) we were when my then-boyfriend took off his
L-plates to give me a ride from Birkenhead to the Lake District (via the
M6.) We were wearing helmets, but no sort of protective clothing: in
fact, the hot exhaust burnt a hole in my (2)tights.

A few years earlier the then subject of a great crush who some years
later became a boyfriend had promised me a lift on his AJS and I was
very miffed when my parents rang to say they were coming to pick me up.
"I was going to get a lift on ___'s motorbike" I complained. "That's
what we thought - that's why we came" said my parents. It was probably
the right thing to do on 2 counts!

(1) Probably much too "light" a word.
(2) American Tan, of course!
2018-04-08 14:33:18 UTC
On Sun, 8 Apr 2018 12:02:46 +0100, Jenny M Benson <***@hotmail.co.uk>
With all this recollection of motor-cycle accidents I am all the more
reminded how foolish (1) we were when my then-boyfriend took off his
L-plates to give me a ride from Birkenhead to the Lake District (via the
M6.) We were wearing helmets, but no sort of protective clothing: in
fact, the hot exhaust burnt a hole in my (2)tights.
Ah, that reminds me of an accident I had on my Honda 50, probably in 1969.
I was working on a dig near Winchester (a very long way to go on such a
small bike) and gave a lift into town to a fellow volunteer. She had no
helmet and the intention was for me to drop her off on the edge of town.
The Honda 50 had an automatic clutch but it was necessary to throttle down
when changing gear. Struggling up a steep hill I forgot to do so when I
kicked it into 1st and we did a backwards somersault. Fortunately neither
of us was hurt and the bike survived too (though it probably unsettled a
wing mirror - they always suffered, along with the indicators when the bike
got dropped).

Foolish times.
2018-04-08 22:27:07 UTC
Ah, that reminds me of an accident I had on my Honda 50, probably in 1969.
I was working on a dig near Winchester (a very long way to go on such a
small bike) and gave a lift into town to a fellow volunteer. She had no
helmet and the intention was for me to drop her off on the edge of town.
The Honda 50 had an automatic clutch but it was necessary to throttle down
when changing gear. Struggling up a steep hill I forgot to do so when I
kicked it into 1st and we did a backwards somersault. Fortunately neither
of us was hurt and the bike survived too (though it probably unsettled a
wing mirror - they always suffered, along with the indicators when the bike
got dropped).
Foolish times.
My only motorised two wheel experience was a Honda 50, bought (new) in
1969 for the princely sum of £95. I can't recall how much the insurance
set me back, but it was pretty negligible.

I had one or two hairy moments but emerged unscathed, thanks to luck
standing in for good judgement.
2018-04-09 07:47:44 UTC
[...]
A work colleague of that time (about 1969/70) had a new Honda 50 ever year,
he reckoned that the trade in value was still good at 12 months and thus a
new one cost him little and helped to ensure low maintenance costs, good
reliability and economy of running.
2018-04-09 09:28:19 UTC
Ah, that reminds me of an accident I had on my Honda 50, probably in 1969.
I was working on a dig near Winchester (a very long way to go on such a
small bike) and gave a lift into town to a fellow volunteer. She had no
helmet and the intention was for me to drop her off on the edge of town.
The Honda 50 had an automatic clutch but it was necessary to throttle down
when changing gear. Struggling up a steep hill I forgot to do so when I
kicked it into 1st and we did a backwards somersault. Fortunately neither
of us was hurt and the bike survived too (though it probably unsettled a
wing mirror - they always suffered, along with the indicators when the bike
got dropped).
Foolish times.
I did have a lucky escape when two up on mine. Pulling into a
layby, I hadn't noticed how the kerb wasn't properly flush, so it
deflected my rear wheel and caused it to fishtail. Fortunately we
were moving quite slowly by the time it eventually toppled, we
were OK, and the bike just needed it's footrest straightening.
Post by Mike
A work colleague of that time (about 1969/70) had a new Honda 50 ever year,
he reckoned that the trade in value was still good at 12 months and thus a
new one cost him little and helped to ensure low maintenance costs, good
reliability and economy of running.
Towards the end mine had a few problems - the timing seemed to
need almost weekly adjustment, the oil drain plug thread was
worn, and needed a cereal packet packing washer to seal properly.

I now find it hard to believe that I regularly did the run from
Barnsley to Manchester, over Woodhead Pass, on this bike. There
were occasions when I had to resort to 1st gear in order to
battle against the wind whilst actually going downhill.

I didn't usually do the trip in midwinter, but there was one
February at the end of term (thin sandwich) where I had to get it
home to Barnsley. As I began the run the throttle started
sticking open. Stripping it down in sleety rain wasn't an
attractive proposition, so I just pressed on. As it had an
automatic clutch, I was a bit unsure how I would cope, but it
made it OK. Changing down, the engine was slowed enough to cope,
changing up was a bit more vicious. There was only one stop
line, and I managed to crawl across with judicious braking.
Turned out it was water in the slide that was jamming it, and a
bit of oil was all it needed.

It did have indicators, but they were almost completely hidden by
the panniers. When right hand signals were called for, the
throttle grip flew back. Nothing I could do with the various bits
of springy steel seemed to improve matters, so life could be a
bit interesting.

***@cdixon.me.uk
2018-04-10 17:26:48 UTC
On Mon, 09 Apr 2018 10:28:19 +0100, Chris J Dixon <***@cdixon.me.uk>
scrawled in the dust...
Post by Chris J Dixon
I didn't usually do the trip in midwinter, but there was one
February at the end of term (thin sandwich) where I had to get it
home to Barnsley. As I began the run the throttle started
sticking open. Stripping it down in sleety rain wasn't an
attractive proposition, so I just pressed on. As it had an
automatic clutch, I was a bit unsure how I would cope, but it
made it OK. Changing down, the engine was slowed enough to cope,
changing up was a bit more vicious. There was only one stop
line, and I managed to crawl across with judicious braking.
Turned out it was water in the slide that was jamming it, and a
bit of oil was all it needed.
That happened to me when approaching a roundabout on the way to college.
The throttle cable had come adrift and the engine screamed as I negotiated
the roundabout and managed to pull over and switch the thing off - very
scary!
2018-04-10 18:06:52 UTC
[...]
A similar thing happened to my 2CV - throttle return spring fell off.
Caused some consternation to pedestrians on the crossing I'd just stopped
at when the fault became apparent. Drove home on crash gear changes and
stopping/starting (in gear) with the switch.
2018-04-10 18:53:37 UTC
Post by Jim Easterbrook
Post by Penny
That happened to me when approaching a roundabout on the way to college.
The throttle cable had come adrift and the engine screamed as I
negotiated the roundabout and managed to pull over and switch the thing
off - very scary!
A similar thing happened to my 2CV - throttle return spring fell off.
Caused some consternation to pedestrians on the crossing I'd just stopped
at when the fault became apparent. Drove home on crash gear changes and
stopping/starting (in gear) with the switch.
When my Volvo 240 suddenly failed to close the throttle when I
lifted off, I spotted the failed carburetor spring, improvised
with a bit of elastic which happened to be in my toolbox, and it
was fine for the rest of the trip.

***@cdixon.me.uk
2018-04-10 19:59:12 UTC
On Tue, 10 Apr 2018 19:53:37 +0100, Chris J Dixon <***@cdixon.me.uk>
scrawled in the dust...
Post by Chris J Dixon
Post by Jim Easterbrook
Post by Penny
That happened to me when approaching a roundabout on the way to college.
The throttle cable had come adrift and the engine screamed as I
negotiated the roundabout and managed to pull over and switch the thing
off - very scary!
A similar thing happened to my 2CV - throttle return spring fell off.
Caused some consternation to pedestrians on the crossing I'd just stopped
at when the fault became apparent. Drove home on crash gear changes and
stopping/starting (in gear) with the switch.
When my Volvo 240 suddenly failed to close the throttle when I
lifted off, I spotted the failed carburetor spring, improvised
with a bit of elastic which happened to be in my toolbox, and it
was fine for the rest of the trip.
Do you miss engines you could fix with a rubber band, a bit of tin foil and
a handful of oats?
2018-04-11 04:18:00 UTC
In message <***@4ax.com>, Penny
<***@labyrinth.freeuk.com> writes:
Do you miss engines you could fix with a rubber band, a bit of tin foil and
a handful of oats?
Yes. I fondly remember my first car where even my Grandma got reasonably
adept in poking some handy object (usually a spanner) into the valve
when the automatic choke misbehaved.

I'm dreading having to change next time - even at my price level, I fear
I won't be able to get something that doesn't have a key with
electronics in it, which I don't want. Though hopefully the present old
crock will last me a long time, now I'm only going out about once a
week.

An Englishman, even if he is alone, forms an orderly queue of one.
(George Mikes in "How to be an Alien".)
the Omrud
2018-04-11 09:40:04 UTC
Do you miss engines you could fix with a rubber band, a bit of tin
foil and a handful of oats?
I'd usually shared the oats between the horse and the postillion.
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
Yes. I fondly remember my first car where even my Grandma got reasonably
adept in poking some handy object (usually a spanner) into the valve
when the automatic choke misbehaved.
I'm dreading having to change next time - even at my price level, I fear
I won't be able to get something that doesn't have a key with
electronics in it, which I don't want.
Just curious: why?
David
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2018-04-11 12:13:45 UTC
Post by the Omrud
Do you miss engines you could fix with a rubber band, a bit of tin
foil and a handful of oats?
I'd usually shared the oats between the horse and the postillion.
Before he was struck by lightning, of course.
Post by the Omrud
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
Yes. I fondly remember my first car where even my Grandma got
reasonably adept in poking some handy object (usually a spanner) into
the valve when the automatic choke misbehaved.
I'm dreading having to change next time - even at my price level, I
fear I won't be able to get something that doesn't have a key with
electronics in it, which I don't want.
Just curious: why?
Because (a) it's just something else to go wrong (b) they cost an arm
and a leg to replace (80 to well over 100, from what I've heard). I've
never had a car stolen (I don't think the sort I drive would be
attractive even to joy-riders), and the only time I've had anything
stolen from one they smashed a window, so the alleged added security ...

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that
may never be questioned.
the Omrud
2018-04-11 12:37:30 UTC
Post by the Omrud
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
Yes. I fondly remember my first car where even my Grandma got
reasonably  adept in poking some handy object (usually a spanner)
into the valve  when the automatic choke misbehaved.
 I'm dreading having to change next time - even at my price level, I
fear  I won't be able to get something that doesn't have a key with
electronics in it, which I don't want.
Just curious: why?
Because (a) it's just something else to go wrong (b) they cost an arm
and a leg to replace (80 to well over 100, from what I've heard). I've
never had a car stolen (I don't think the sort I drive would be
attractive even to joy-riders), and the only time I've had anything
stolen from one they smashed a window, so the alleged added security ...
I would find it difficult now to move away from my Jag's keyless
operation. I never have to take the key out of my pocket, except when
I'm changing my trousers.
David
Vicky
2018-04-11 14:25:53 UTC
Post by the Omrud
Post by the Omrud
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
[...]
My Meriva has Onstar and sends me emails monthly with checks on the
various systems, and during the month if any little error lights come
on on dashboard dials I can call onstar while in the car and they will
tell me is is one of the tyres is a bit down or whatever and what to
do. If I get lost they can direct me and if the car is stolen they
know where it is, unless the thief turns onstar off. And if I am in an
accident Onstar knows and sends help. It had free wifi for the first
year but it wasn't worth paying for it as I am either at home or at a
daughter who has wifi too and can't use it when driving, and B is not
well enough to go anywhere except for hospital appointments now.
2018-04-11 20:25:57 UTC
Do you miss engines you could fix with a rubber band, a bit of tin foil and
a handful of oats?
Yes. I fondly remember my first car where even my Grandma got reasonably
adept in poking some handy object (usually a spanner) into the valve
when the automatic choke misbehaved.
I'm dreading having to change next time - even at my price level, I fear
I won't be able to get something that doesn't have a key with
electronics in it, which I don't want. Though hopefully the present old
crock will last me a long time, now I'm only going out about once a week.
The manual choke on my first car had no stiction - if you pulled it out,
it would immediately fly back in again.

I carefully hand-crafted a piece of stiff card, with a series of
notches, that I could jamb under the choke control to select just the
right amount of choke.
2018-04-11 08:40:34 UTC
Do you miss engines you could fix with a rubber band, a bit of tin foil and
a handful of oats?
Indeed I do.

A couple of weeks ago, having been fine when last used, the car
sat on the drive displaying "engine malfunction" and refusing
even to turn over.

Luckily we could make other arrangements that day. I waited till
the snow had cleared, charged the battery a bit (that being about
the limit of possible interventions), but still no joy.

Called the AA, but despite trying lots of things, the very
helpful chap still couldn't fix it. Seemed to be giving multiple
fault messages.

In the end he had to dive in and disengage the transmission lock,
deploy his transformer-like towing cradle and take it off to the
local dealer.

I was steeling myself for a four figure bill for replacement of
one of the electronics boards, which would have meant serious
considering if it was worth repairing. Fortunately they were able
to diagnose a broken (but crucial) wire and all was well at a
manageable cost.

I have always been one for keeping cars (1) for a long time, but
now have to wonder when I should start to look for a replacement,
so as to possibly avoid a distress purchase.

(1) My mileage is quite low these days, gone are the times when
two Volvo 240s lasted me 20 years and about 374k between them.

This is a 2009 Mondeo auto with about 63k on the clock, and I
would be looking for something about a year old.

***@cdixon.me.uk
2018-04-11 12:26:11 UTC
Post by Chris J Dixon
Post by Penny
Do you miss engines you could fix with a rubber band, a bit of tin foil and
a handful of oats?
Indeed I do.
A couple of weeks ago, having been fine when last used, the car
sat on the drive displaying "engine malfunction" and refusing
even to turn over.
Luckily we could make other arrangements that day. I waited till
the snow had cleared, charged the battery a bit (that being about
the limit of possible interventions), but still no joy.
Yes, without hideously expensive test gear, there's little the home - I
was going to say "enthusiast", but I'm not really that - can do with
modern car electronics.
Post by Chris J Dixon
Called the AA, but despite trying lots of things, the very
helpful chap still couldn't fix it. Seemed to be giving multiple
fault messages.
I often wonder about their claims that they fix 60% (or whatever it is)
of breakdowns at the roadside. I can't help thinking that it must be an
increasing decay in basic knowledge by users, and that a lot of that 60%
are things I (like to think I) wouldn't have called the AA for anyway.
(I wonder how many are where a flat tyre needs changing, for example.)
Post by Chris J Dixon
In the end he had to dive in and disengage the transmission lock,
deploy his transformer-like towing cradle and take it off to the
local dealer.
I was steeling myself for a four figure bill for replacement of
one of the electronics boards, which would have meant serious
considering if it was worth repairing. Fortunately they were able
to diagnose a broken (but crucial) wire and all was well at a
manageable cost.
Glad it got sorted.
Post by Chris J Dixon
I have always been one for keeping cars (1) for a long time, but
Me too: all but one, that I remember, have gone for scrap.
[]
Post by Chris J Dixon
This is a 2009 Mondeo auto with about 63k on the clock, and I
would be looking for something about a year old.
Nowadays, I'd think 63k to be quite young. (I don't know what mine's
done, as the odometer wasn't working for several years until I had them
put in the one from my previous car which I'd kept - but present car is
a [non-turbo] diesel, so I hope it'll go for ever. Especially as I'm
mostly now only using it about once a week.)

may never be questioned.
steveski
2018-04-10 22:33:02 UTC
On Tue, 10 Apr 2018 18:26:48 +0100, Penny wrote:

That happened to me when approaching a roundabout on the way to college.
The throttle cable had come adrift and the engine screamed as I
negotiated the roundabout and managed to pull over and switch the thing
off - very scary!
A frozen throttle slide is something that I tend to associate with 2
strokes. But, with everything being 4 stroke and CV carbs these days,
it's all alright . . . isn't it? :-)
2018-04-09 12:19:55 UTC
Er...no-one really wanted to know all that, did they?  Sorry.
Don't be silly Sid, of course we did !
I've never quite seen the attraction myself, although I was very glad of
my friend giving me a lift to the ATC on his single pot 500cc BSA Gold
Star until the day that he remarked as he collected me that his oil leak
had gone away without realising that this was because there was no oil
left and the engine seized at 70. Luckily on a nice wide curving country
road and we stayed on it as it slid sideways and slowed down and were
saved any serious road rash when we rolled off by the thick uniforms we
were wearing. No helmets of course in 1965.
There certainly were helmets in 1965. My dad needed something to get me
about on, I couldn’t ride a bike. His mum said he could take me on his
moped as long as I had the helmet. He wore full leathers and a helmet.
How hot he must have been in high summer? It felt like I sat on that moped
for years but it couldn’t have been more than five years, I certainly don’t
think he bought it as soon as mum died, he had to pass his test first. He
married again in April 1967, step mum had a car for her job as a health
visitor.

2018-04-09 13:26:33 UTC
There certainly were helmets in 1965.
Yes, but the wearing of them was not compulsory. That law didn't come
in until 1973.
2018-04-10 15:09:05 UTC
There certainly were helmets in 1965.
Yes, but the wearing of them was not compulsory. That law didn't come
in until 1973.
I’m too young to have known that.

2018-04-09 16:05:59 UTC
Er...no-one really wanted to know all that, did they?  Sorry.
Don't be silly Sid, of course we did !
I've never quite seen the attraction myself, although I was very glad of
my friend giving me a lift to the ATC on his single pot 500cc BSA Gold
Star until the day that he remarked as he collected me that his oil leak
had gone away without realising that this was because there was no oil
left and the engine seized at 70. Luckily on a nice wide curving country
road and we stayed on it as it slid sideways and slowed down and were
saved any serious road rash when we rolled off by the thick uniforms we
were wearing. No helmets of course in 1965.
There certainly were helmets in 1965....
Indeed there were, but not compulsory, so we didn't wear one, neither
did I when riding my pedal bikes which I came off multiple times or
horses likewise, but I'd learned the parachute roll at a tender age...
Kate B
2018-04-08 11:45:29 UTC
[...]
You are never alone..... I had a tiny little Honda (was it even 125cc?)
which I rode everywhere, up hill, down dale, as far as Fife and
Caernarfon, and all over Suffolk when I was teaching in Ipswich. I was
young in those days and didn't really mind getting wet. I had a huge
waterproof onesie out of which I would emerge like a short, fat, but
very colourful butterfly. Going downhill on it was almost like flying. I
only came off once or twice, and never had such a terrifying experience
as Sid, but after I finally got my driving licence it was so much more
convenient to load everything into a nice dry car that the poor little
thing fusted unused, and eventually got sold for spare parts. I did love
riding it, though, in its time.
2018-04-08 18:05:06 UTC
I had a huge waterproof onesie out of which I would emerge
Ooh yes - I had one of those (FSVO waterproof). Padded, lined and
everything. I called it Biggles. In time-honoured fashion it began to
leak at the crotch after a couple of years and I sometimes used to turn
up to work and social events looking as though I'd wet myself. Oh, how
I laughed! I took to wearing an extra pair of "waterproof" trousers
over it in the wet which, in time-honoured fashion...

Biggles did, however, save my flesh (and clothes) from a serious mauling
when I was knocked off.
2018-04-08 21:17:12 UTC
On Sun, 08 Apr 2018 09:25:44 +0100, Sid Nuncius wrote:

I'd been happily using L-plates while riding an MZ
125 (heaven help me)
The MZs were lovely little bean-tins - simple to maintain and sturdy (not
to be confused with the execrable CZs).
Post by Sid Nuncius
Honda Superdream 250
Quite the reverse, horrible, horrible over-complicated gutless things.

Just my tuppence :-)
p.s. BMW R100/7 and Kawasaki GT550 (but I'd swap them for a Triumph
Triple of some kidney :-) )
Sid Nuncius
2018-04-09 07:15:58 UTC
Post by Sid Nuncius
Honda Superdream 250
Quite the reverse, horrible, horrible over-complicated gutless things.
Just my tuppence :-)
Interesting. My experience was the opposite; the MZ was a nightmare to
maintain (Parts? Yeah, right. Even a headlight bulb took months to
find.[1]), incredibly unreliable in the wet especially and began missing
if I attempted to exceed 45mph - which made riding it from London to
Bristol an interesting experience. I found these pics which didn't
exactly inspire a wave of warm nostalgia:
http://databikes.com/infophoto/mz/es_1251-1977.html

I liked the Honda; reliable, perfectly powerful enough for my needs and
a pleasure to handle after the MZ. Wofe and I went on holiday to
Cornwall on it and it was great. I was very sorry when it got written
off. All right, it's not a 1952 Vincent Black Lightning, but I was very
fond of it.
http://www.wemoto.com/news/article/525/honda_cb250n_superdream
<wistful sigh>

[1] When I moved to Bristol I did find an MZ garage who were able to
maintain it for me. They were rude, hostile, not very good mechanics
and extremely expensive. They were part of the reason I bought a new bike.
2018-04-09 17:04:23 UTC
Just my tuppence :-)
Interesting. My experience was the opposite; the MZ was a nightmare to
maintain (Parts? Yeah, right. Even a headlight bulb took months to
find.[1]), incredibly unreliable in the wet especially and began missing
if I attempted to exceed 45mph - which made riding it from London to
Bristol an interesting experience. I found these pics which didn't
http://databikes.com/infophoto/mz/es_1251-1977.html
I liked the Honda; reliable, perfectly powerful enough for my needs and
a pleasure to handle after the MZ. Wofe and I went on holiday to
Cornwall on it and it was great. I was very sorry when it got written
off. All right, it's not a 1952 Vincent Black Lightning, but I was very
fond of it.
http://www.wemoto.com/news/article/525/honda_cb250n_superdream <wistful
sigh>
It just goes to show how everyone's mileage varies - sorry about the pun
:-)
2018-04-08 06:55:38 UTC
When I started motorcycling in about '73 you needed a provisional licence
which allowed up to 250cc (never mind all the moped regs for 16 year olds)
and passed my test on a BSA (Bloody Sore Arse) C15 and have been riding
ever since on a full licence (no cc restiction).
Nowadays it's all quite complex with power output for new riders but I
just bimble along on the Beemer or Kwacker with the cheapest insurance
I've ever had :-)
I remember having to take the test again, in the 60s, having
upgraded from my dad's old NSU Quickly (there's an oxymoron)
which was a moped, to a Honda 50. Pretty daft really, since it
then meant that I could (and still can) legally drive any bike;
not that I would dare. Two wheels were for me simply an economic
necessity at the time, not a lifestyle choice.

***@cdixon.me.uk
2018-04-08 10:36:56 UTC
On 8 Apr 2018 00:43:38 GMT, steveski <***@invalid.com> scrawled in the
dust...
If, like my father - born in 1912, you don't need to pass a test. You
have a licence to drive anything.
And if you got your licence before some date, as I did, you can drive a
motorbike (I think up to 250cc) on your car licence; people who passed
more recently can't. I've never actually done so, and I _suspect_ I'd
get stung for the insurance if I tried, but in theory.
When I started motorcycling in about '73 you needed a provisional licence
which allowed up to 250cc (never mind all the moped regs for 16 year olds)
and passed my test on a BSA (Bloody Sore Arse) C15 and have been riding
ever since on a full licence (no cc restiction).
In theory I too am licensed to ride a motorcycle of any size but have not
done so since 1979 and doubt I will again. Still considering an electric
bicycle though (no licence required). I think the cycling might be good for
my arthritic hips (now much more settled) and the motor will get me up the
hill - I haven't been able to walk into town for months now.
2018-04-08 22:11:39 UTC
Nowadays it's all quite complex with power output for new riders but I
just bimble along on the Beemer or Kwacker with the cheapest insurance
I've ever had :-)
Bimbling is extra Luv.

(Well, someone had to say it)
2018-04-09 07:43:52 UTC
Nowadays it's all quite complex with power output for new riders but I
just bimble along on the Beemer or Kwacker with the cheapest insurance
I've ever had :-)
Bimbling is extra Luv.
(Well, someone had to say it)
.... and their second album was....
2018-04-08 08:25:04 UTC
Post by Chris McMillan
Not forgetting the very elderly farmer who developed a farmer’s lung
and is still fit enough at 96 at drive a pony and cart, or the retired
(?) elderly
Do you need insurance to drive a pony and cart?
Did Jo start his carriage driving to follow HRH?
If, like my father - born in 1912, you don't need to pass a test. You
have a licence to drive anything.
And if you got your licence before some date, as I did, you can drive a
motorbike (I think up to 250cc) on your car licence; people who passed
more recently can't. I've never actually done so, and I _suspect_ I'd
get stung for the insurance if I tried, but in theory.
Probably safer with a lawnmower.
2018-04-08 08:31:39 UTC
And if you got your licence before some date, as I did, you can drive a
motorbike (I think up to 250cc) on your car licence; people who passed
more recently can't. I've never actually done so, and I _suspect_ I'd
get stung for the insurance if I tried, but in theory.
Probably safer with a lawnmower.
<this isn't actually a swerve>
May I commend to the assembled umrats the film The Straight Story? It's
by David Lynch, but seemed very un-DL to me. A brilliant film, I
thought, and an unexpected delight.
2018-04-08 08:46:58 UTC
And if you got your licence before some date, as I did, you can drive a
motorbike (I think up to 250cc) on your car licence; people who passed
more recently can't. I've never actually done so, and I _suspect_ I'd
get stung for the insurance if I tried, but in theory.
Probably safer with a lawnmower.
<this isn't actually a swerve>
May I commend to the assembled umrats the film The Straight Story? It's
by David Lynch, but seemed very un-DL to me. A brilliant film, I
thought, and an unexpected delight.
Is this the one about the lawnmower rider who travels a long way to see a
sick friend?
2018-04-08 09:18:52 UTC
And if you got your licence before some date, as I did, you can drive a
motorbike (I think up to 250cc) on your car licence; people who passed
more recently can't. I've never actually done so, and I _suspect_ I'd
get stung for the insurance if I tried, but in theory.
Probably safer with a lawnmower.
<this isn't actually a swerve>
May I commend to the assembled umrats the film The Straight Story? It's
by David Lynch, but seemed very un-DL to me. A brilliant film, I
thought, and an unexpected delight.
Is this the one about the lawnmower rider who travels a long way to see a
sick friend?
Yes. (Brother, actually, but you've got the right film.)
2018-04-08 09:27:28 UTC
And if you got your licence before some date, as I did, you can drive a
motorbike (I think up to 250cc) on your car licence; people who passed
more recently can't. I've never actually done so, and I _suspect_ I'd
get stung for the insurance if I tried, but in theory.
Probably safer with a lawnmower.
<this isn't actually a swerve>
May I commend to the assembled umrats the film The Straight Story? It's
by David Lynch, but seemed very un-DL to me. A brilliant film, I
thought, and an unexpected delight.
Is this the one about the lawnmower rider who travels a long way to see a
sick friend?
Yes. (Brother, actually, but you've got the right film.)
Yup, I have been to sleep a few times since I saw it ;-)))
2018-04-08 09:31:04 UTC
And if you got your licence before some date, as I did, you can drive a
motorbike (I think up to 250cc) on your car licence; people who passed
more recently can't. I've never actually done so, and I _suspect_ I'd
get stung for the insurance if I tried, but in theory.
Probably safer with a lawnmower.
<this isn't actually a swerve>
May I commend to the assembled umrats the film The Straight Story? It's
by David Lynch, but seemed very un-DL to me. A brilliant film, I
thought, and an unexpected delight.
Is this the one about the lawnmower rider who travels a long way to see a
sick friend?
Yes. (Brother, actually, but you've got the right film.)
Yup, I have, but have been to sleep a number of times since then!;-)))
2018-04-08 09:28:36 UTC
May I commend to the assembled umrats the film The Straight Story?  It's
by David Lynch, but seemed very un-DL to me.  A brilliant film, I
thought, and an unexpected delight.
Oh yes, seen that and entirely agree with you...Mmm! I see I can rent
it from Amazon for 99p, Might well do that later.
2018-04-08 11:12:01 UTC
On Sun, 8 Apr 2018 09:31:39 +0100, Sid Nuncius
And if you got your licence before some date, as I did, you can drive a
motorbike (I think up to 250cc) on your car licence; people who passed
more recently can't. I've never actually done so, and I _suspect_ I'd
get stung for the insurance if I tried, but in theory.
Probably safer with a lawnmower.
<this isn't actually a swerve>
May I commend to the assembled umrats the film The Straight Story? It's
by David Lynch, but seemed very un-DL to me. A brilliant film, I
thought, and an unexpected delight.
We watched half of About Time last night but I didn't want to see the
rest. I'm not quite sure I hadn't already seen it. I didn't care
what happened in the end, anyway. I thought it lame.
2018-04-08 08:24:03 UTC
Post by Chris McMillan
Not forgetting the very elderly farmer who developed a farmer’s lung
and is still fit enough at 96 at drive a pony and cart, or the retired
(?) elderly
Do you need insurance to drive a pony and cart?
Did Jo start his carriage driving to follow HRH?
If, like my father - born in 1912, you don't need to pass a test. You
have a licence to drive anything.
Including people round the bend.;-)))
2018-04-05 13:46:09 UTC
On 04/04/2018 14:31, Mike wrote; my response is lower down:

Much snippage - but all worth reading.
Post by Mike
In fact, it is just as well The Archers is a FOTWD and no such preposterous
story lines are featured..... err.... isn’t it???
I think that saves me listening to this week's rubbish. I gather Olwen
has been brought into moan about 1995 pensions legislation. Get rid of
her quickly please. It was debated then and does not need discussing now.
2018-04-05 13:52:15 UTC
Post by Mike
In fact, it is just as well The Archers is a FOTWD and no such preposterous
story lines are featured..... err.... isn’t it???
I think that saves me listening to this week's rubbish. I gather Olwen
has been brought into moan about 1995 pensions legislation. Get rid of
her quickly please. It was debated then and does not need discussing now.
This was probably part of the deal to get her to do it. These lefty right
on theatricals you know. 🤭
2018-04-05 14:03:14 UTC
Post by Mike
In fact, it is just as well The Archers is a FOTWD and no such preposterous
story lines are featured..... err.... isn’t it???
I think that saves me listening to this week's rubbish. I gather Olwen
has been brought into moan about 1995 pensions legislation. Get rid of
her quickly please. It was debated then and does not need discussing now.
This was probably part of the deal to get her to do it. These lefty right
on theatricals you know. 🤭
Besides which, Eleanor Bron is Otherwise Engaged.