OT: Halloween
2019-10-30 21:21:15 UTC
From our PCSO newsletter: "If you know of any elderly or vulnerable
people who would benefit from a NO TRICK or TREAT poster to display in
their windows or front door contact myself or our CSU department."

Anyone ever seen any of these posters? I don't know if they're just a
Kent initiative.

Life, liberty and the happiness of pursuit!
Vicky Ayech
2019-10-30 21:39:05 UTC
On Wed, 30 Oct 2019 21:21:15 +0000, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
From our PCSO newsletter: "If you know of any elderly or vulnerable
people who would benefit from a NO TRICK or TREAT poster to display in
their windows or front door contact myself or our CSU department."
Anyone ever seen any of these posters? I don't know if they're just a
Kent initiative.
I saw templates, downloadable, for them in a couple of places last
year. Not so far this year though. I will probably just leave the
porch light off so the entrance will be dark and ignore anyone who
knocks or go and say from the porch, door shut, that it disturbs the
dog. We no longer have the Molly900 alarm and deterrant to bark at
people.
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2019-10-30 22:40:17 UTC
On Wed, 30 Oct 2019 21:21:15 +0000, "J. P. Gilliver (John)"
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
From our PCSO newsletter: "If you know of any elderly or vulnerable
people who would benefit from a NO TRICK or TREAT poster to display in
their windows or front door contact myself or our CSU department."
Anyone ever seen any of these posters? I don't know if they're just a
Kent initiative.
I saw templates, downloadable, for them in a couple of places last
year. Not so far this year though. I will probably just leave the
porch light off so the entrance will be dark and ignore anyone who
knocks or go and say from the porch, door shut, that it disturbs the
dog. We no longer have the Molly900 alarm and deterrant to bark at
people.
I just tried Google; putting in
no trick or treat poster
seems to find lots of hits, many from police forces.

(To be fair, and _slightly_ reduce my misery-guts reputation, that this
thread might generate: there are some yes posters there too. But there's
also one about not selling flour and eggs - which hardens my view; I
hadn't realised that had become formalised.)

The desire to remain private and/or anonymous used to be a core British value,
but in recent times it has been treated with suspicion - an unfortunate by-
product of the widespread desire for fame. - Chris Middleton,
Computing 6 September 2011
Steve Hague
2019-10-31 07:54:41 UTC
From our PCSO newsletter: "If you know of any elderly or vulnerable
people who would benefit from a NO TRICK or TREAT poster to display in
their windows or front door contact myself or our CSU department."
Anyone ever seen any of these posters? I don't know if they're just a
Kent initiative.
As far as I'm aware you can get them from police stations, if you can
find one that's open. I have one stored on my computer.
2019-10-31 08:53:08 UTC
Post by Steve Hague
 From our PCSO newsletter: "If you know of any elderly or vulnerable
people who would benefit from a NO TRICK or TREAT poster to display in
their windows or front door contact myself or our CSU department."
Anyone ever seen any of these posters? I don't know if they're just a
Kent initiative.
As far as I'm aware you can get them from police stations, if you can
find one that's open. I have one stored on my computer.
The rule round here is that if there's no pumpkin or other halloween
decoration outside you don't knock (or trick).
Serena Blanchflower
2019-10-31 16:26:56 UTC
Post by Steve Hague
 From our PCSO newsletter: "If you know of any elderly or vulnerable
people who would benefit from a NO TRICK or TREAT poster to display
in their windows or front door contact myself or our CSU department."
Anyone ever seen any of these posters? I don't know if they're just a
Kent initiative.
As far as I'm aware you can get them from police stations, if you can
find one that's open. I have one stored on my computer.
The rule round here is that if there's no pumpkin or other halloween
decoration outside you don't knock (or trick).
That's how it works here, too.
Q. Who do you get to baby-sit the kids?
A. A nanny goat
Fenny
2019-10-31 23:26:09 UTC
On Thu, 31 Oct 2019 08:53:08 +0000, BrritSki
Post by BrritSki
The rule round here is that if there's no pumpkin or other halloween
decoration outside you don't knock (or trick).
Even if I'm at home, I don't use the front door. If anyone knocks,
they don't get an answer, regardless.
2019-10-31 13:57:01 UTC
Post by Steve Hague
As far as I'm aware you can get them from police stations
They are rarer than banks or building societies.
2019-10-31 08:16:23 UTC
From our PCSO newsletter: "If you know of any elderly or vulnerable
people who would benefit from a NO TRICK or TREAT poster to display in
their windows or front door contact myself or our CSU department."
I thought for a moment this has escaped from the grammatical
study thread.

***@cdixon.me.uk @ChrisJDixon1
2019-10-31 08:48:35 UTC
From our PCSO newsletter: "If you know of any elderly or vulnerable
people who would benefit from a NO TRICK or TREAT poster to display in
their windows or front door contact myself or our CSU department."
Anyone ever seen any of these posters? I don't know if they're just a
Kent initiative.
Available in Berkshire and I think, nationwide.
Flop
2019-10-31 09:29:58 UTC
From our PCSO newsletter: "If you know of any elderly or vulnerable
people who would benefit from a NO TRICK or TREAT poster to display in
their windows or front door contact myself or our CSU department."
Anyone ever seen any of these posters? I don't know if they're just a
Kent initiative.
Available in Berkshire and I think, nationwide.
This comes under the same category of an American company which lists
its offices as:

"America and World"
--
Flop

Truly the Good Lord gave us computers that we might learn patience
J. P. Gilliver (John)
2019-11-01 01:33:28 UTC
Post by Flop
Post by Mike
Available in Berkshire and I think, nationwide.
This comes under the same category of an American company which lists
"America and World"
Or "our foreign affairs correspondent".
"Fog in channel ..."

I'm too lazy to have a bigger ego. - James May, RT 2016/1/23-29
Mike
2019-11-01 08:41:20 UTC
Post by Flop
Post by Mike
Available in Berkshire and I think, nationwide.
This comes under the same category of an American company which lists
"America and World"
Or "our foreign affairs correspondent".
"Fog in channel ..."
There was (some years back) a leather goods manufacturer in Yeovil who
emblazoned their lorry sides with their name and ‘Yeovil and Los Angeles’,
tickled me it did.
2019-11-01 11:57:29 UTC
Post by Flop
Post by Mike
Available in Berkshire and I think, nationwide.
This comes under the same category of an American company which lists
"America and World"
Or "our foreign affairs correspondent".
"Fog in channel ..."
There was (some years back) a leather goods manufacturer in Yeovil who
emblazoned their lorry sides with their name and ‘Yeovil and Los Angeles’,
tickled me it did.
Shades of "New York, Paris, Peckham"?

As the man said when confronted by a large dinner salad, "This isn't food.
This is what food eats."
Chris J Dixon
2019-11-01 08:15:52 UTC
Post by Flop
This comes under the same category of an American company which lists
"America and World"
My brother was, at one point "Development Manager, World Sales"
for an airline. I asked him if he felt it was a large enough
patch.

***@cdixon.me.uk @ChrisJDixon1
2019-11-01 20:08:06 UTC
Post by Chris J Dixon
Post by Flop
This comes under the same category of an American company which lists
"America and World"
My brother was, at one point "Development Manager, World Sales"
for an airline. I asked him if he felt it was a large enough
patch.
Shirley, once he made a sale he would be out of a job?
2019-10-31 10:48:54 UTC
From our PCSO newsletter: "If you know of any elderly or vulnerable
people who would benefit from a NO TRICK or TREAT poster to display in
their windows or front door contact myself or our CSU department."
Contact MYSELF? Aaaagggghhh!!

I have a similar response to "us" where it should be "we".
http://jennygenes.blogspot.co.uk/
Steve Hague
2019-10-31 15:22:49 UTC
From our PCSO newsletter: "If you know of any elderly or vulnerable
people who would benefit from a NO TRICK or TREAT poster to display in
their windows or front door contact myself or our CSU department."
Anyone ever seen any of these posters? I don't know if they're just a
Kent initiative.
Last year I suggested we put up a poster saying "A paedophile lives
here". Wofe wouldn't let me for some reason.
2019-11-01 01:32:24 UTC
Post by Steve Hague
Post by J. P. Gilliver (John)
From our PCSO newsletter: "If you know of any elderly or vulnerable
people who would benefit from a NO TRICK or TREAT poster to display in
their windows or front door contact myself or our CSU department."
Anyone ever seen any of these posters? I don't know if they're just
a Kent initiative.
Last year I suggested we put up a poster saying "A paedophile lives
here". Wofe wouldn't let me for some reason.
Steve
GOL (guffawed)!

You could say "... is visiting here this evening."

Reminds me of the (possibly apocryphal) tales of those who, on Sunday
mornings when they expect Jehovah's Witnesses or other 'botherers to
call, have a porn video on, and turn up the volume before answering the
door (in just a bathrobe).

I'm too lazy to have a bigger ego. - James May, RT 2016/1/23-29