Attention Sid and any other FB avoiders
2020-03-23 09:28:58 UTC
I understand people's reluctance to go on FB, but they might be able to
help you Sid or anyone else who is struggling. I know there are several
groups that are setup for Bedford people and lots of initiatives there
to help people who are house-bound, self-isolating or vulnerable.
A quick search on Shepherd's Bush found:
Shepherd's Bush Friends and Families
Finding Lost Friends in Shepherd's Bush
Shepherd's Bush Community
and I'm sure there are more

There's very little you need to tell FB to get setup and you can create
a fake email address to use (it will need to be a real address, but you
can setup a new one just for FB). I would also recommend that you
install Fluff-Busting Purity (you just put that name in the search box
and click yes to download the extension for your browser). That lets you
control lots of the annoying aspects, not least hiding all the ads - we
wouldn't want anyone being Dom-inated into voting for something like
Brexit would we ? :)

Another useful resource could be NextDoor. I'm not altogether
comfortable with that and there's lots of genuine "U OK hun ?" nonsense
on it, but again it could put you in touch with local help groups.

Sorry I can't do more as stuck at home self-isolating, but anything I
can do remotely for anyone just ask.
Jane Vernon
2020-03-23 10:55:00 UTC
[...]
Would echo all of that, including this might be a time to join Facebook
after all.
--
Jane
BTME

2020-03-23 11:19:08 UTC
I understand people's reluctance to go on FB, but they might be able to
help you Sid or anyone else who is struggling. I know there are several
groups that are setup for Bedford people and lots of initiatives there
to help people who are house-bound, self-isolating or vulnerable.
Shepherd's Bush Friends and Families
Finding Lost Friends in Shepherd's Bush
Shepherd's Bush Community
and I'm sure there are more
Seeing that many of the most-in-need will be elderly people who do not
have internet access and many will be people who eschew FB, I would hope
that such groups are not relying solely on FB. Friends of Ruabon have
printed a leaflet and put it through the door.
Wrexham, UK
BrritSki
2020-03-23 11:34:01 UTC
I understand people's reluctance to go on FB, but they might be able
to help you Sid or anyone else who is struggling. I know there are
several groups that are setup for Bedford people and lots of
initiatives there to help people who are house-bound, self-isolating
or vulnerable.
Shepherd's Bush Friends and Families
Finding Lost Friends in Shepherd's Bush
Shepherd's Bush Community
and I'm sure there are more
Seeing that many of the most-in-need will be elderly people who do not
have internet access and many will be people who eschew FB, I would hope
that such groups are not relying solely on FB.
Of course not, but I'm talking about Sid and other-rats who are online
and might need assistance and this is a place to go to for that help.
Joe Kerr
2020-03-23 12:29:51 UTC
I understand people's reluctance to go on FB, but they might be able
to help you Sid or anyone else who is struggling. I know there are
several groups that are setup for Bedford people and lots of
initiatives there to help people who are house-bound, self-isolating
or vulnerable.
Shepherd's Bush Friends and Families
Finding Lost Friends in Shepherd's Bush
Shepherd's Bush Community
and I'm sure there are more
Seeing that many of the most-in-need will be elderly people who do not
have internet access and many will be people who eschew FB, I would
hope that such groups are not relying solely on FB.
Of course not, but I'm talking about Sid and other-rats who are online
and might need assistance and this is a place to go to for that help.
There is also a need for caution to ensure that any offers of help from
any source are genuine and not scammers of some description.
Ric
BrritSki
2020-03-23 13:52:18 UTC
Post by Joe Kerr
[...]
True, that's another reason for going through FB where lots of people
have verified the source of assistance.
Nick Odell
2020-03-23 17:20:08 UTC
Post by Joe Kerr
[...]
That.

A residential building in the centre of town was surrounded by three
CableVision vans and men in CableVision uniforms demanded of the
Encargardo to be let in to fix the fault. Being a little smarter than
the average Encargardo (I wish I could say the same about ours but I
can not :((( ) he checked and found it was working, checked with
CableVision who said a) there is no reported fault there and b) we
would not send more than one van so the Encargardo called the police.

This morning the City Governement sent out an email saying they were
NOT sending teams of men into residential buildings to check for signs
of Covid-19 so report any such teams to the police and do not let them
in.

2020-03-24 06:09:29 UTC
[...]
Thanks, Brritters. I appreciate the thought very much.
2020-03-24 09:25:50 UTC
Thanks, Brritters.  I appreciate the thought very much.
Just sent you a follow up email with some suggestions.

No, polite ones, I promise !

Well... Harrumph ;)