Absence
Add Reply
Mike Ruddock
2020-09-27 19:53:24 UTC
Where is everybody?
Here I am looking after a poorly wife and imagining that everyone else
is busy swapping stories, comments, slanders and so on and when I get a
few minutes to look . . . Nowt!

Mike Ruddock
Jenny M Benson
2020-09-27 19:59:36 UTC
Post by Mike Ruddock
Where is everybody?
Here I am looking after a poorly wife and imagining that everyone else
is busy swapping stories, comments, slanders and so on and when I get a
few minutes to look . . . Nowt!
Profuse apols. I've been a bit busy in various ways. Do hope wife is
not *too* poorly - Umratic vibes heading her way.
Wrexham, UK
Nick Odell
2020-09-27 21:13:04 UTC
On Sun, 27 Sep 2020 20:59:36 +0100, Jenny M Benson
Post by Jenny M Benson
Post by Mike Ruddock
Where is everybody?
Here I am looking after a poorly wife and imagining that everyone else
is busy swapping stories, comments, slanders and so on and when I get a
few minutes to look . . . Nowt!
Profuse apols. I've been a bit busy in various ways. Do hope wife is
not *too* poorly - Umratic vibes heading her way.
Wot she sed.

Take care, Mike & Mrs Mike.

2020-09-27 21:21:42 UTC
Post by Mike Ruddock
Where is everybody?
Here I am looking after a poorly wife and imagining that everyone else
is busy swapping stories, comments, slanders and so on and when I get
a few minutes to look . . . Nowt!
Profuse apols.  I've been a bit busy in various ways.  Do hope wife is
not *too* poorly - Umratic vibes heading her way.
We are heading back into lockdown @ 6pm tomorrow.
Wofe has issued orders for a panic-buying trip to obtain compost before
the iron curtain clangs shut.

Others may have different priorities.
What will she be using compost for at this time of year? Sweet pea seeds?
Sam Plusnet
2020-09-28 20:16:31 UTC
Post by DavidK
Post by Sam Plusnet
Post by Mike Ruddock
Where is everybody?
Here I am looking after a poorly wife and imagining that everyone
else is busy swapping stories, comments, slanders and so on and when
I get a few minutes to look . . . Nowt!
Profuse apols.  I've been a bit busy in various ways.  Do hope wife
is not *too* poorly - Umratic vibes heading her way.
Wofe has issued orders for a panic-buying trip to obtain compost
before the iron curtain clangs shut.
Others may have different priorities.
What will she be using compost for at this time of year? Sweet pea seeds?
Bulbs mostly, although she has now decreed that she shall use our home
produced leaf mold for this purpose.

One of her lockdown pass-times is buying plants offered by unscrupulous
firms who send her email lists, each week, of really nice plants at
really cheap prices.
A girl can only resist so much temptation.

They all need potting on.
2020-09-29 18:03:37 UTC
Post by Mike Ruddock
Where is everybody?
Here I am looking after a poorly wife and imagining that everyone else
is busy swapping stories, comments, slanders and so on and when I get
a few minutes to look . . . Nowt!
Profuse apols.  I've been a bit busy in various ways.  Do hope wife is
not *too* poorly - Umratic vibes heading her way.
Wofe has issued orders for a panic-buying trip to obtain compost before
the iron curtain clangs shut.
Others may have different priorities.
Too bad if you have to go without food??

2020-09-29 21:14:04 UTC
Post by Mike Ruddock
Where is everybody?
Here I am looking after a poorly wife and imagining that everyone else
is busy swapping stories, comments, slanders and so on and when I get
a few minutes to look . . . Nowt!
Profuse apols.  I've been a bit busy in various ways.  Do hope wife is
not *too* poorly - Umratic vibes heading her way.
Wofe has issued orders for a panic-buying trip to obtain compost before
the iron curtain clangs shut.
Others may have different priorities.
Too bad if you have to go without food??
We can shop locally (we are restricted to this "county borough" but this
bit of Wales is sub-divided into some _really_ small local authority
areas, so we can't wander very far).
However we have been long term customers of Ocado and (with only one
single exception) haven't been in a supermarket or local shop since March.
All in all, we manage quite well - unless Ocado mess up the order.
2020-10-02 15:34:05 UTC
Post by Mike Ruddock
Where is everybody?
Here I am looking after a poorly wife and imagining that everyone else
is busy swapping stories, comments, slanders and so on and when I get
a few minutes to look . . . Nowt!
Profuse apols.  I've been a bit busy in various ways.  Do hope wife is
not *too* poorly - Umratic vibes heading her way.
Sorry I have been visiting Portugal. No sorry. Portugal got cancelled
(this cancel culture gets everywhere). Cumbria - yes the Lake District.
Seven days, 6 great meals, many miles and li'l ratty. Kirkstone,
Whinlatter, Honister, Wrynose and Hardknott passes, the wife even drove
the first one and then complained about the rest!

2020-10-03 21:06:37 UTC
Post by Mike Ruddock
Where is everybody?
Here I am looking after a poorly wife and imagining that everyone else
is busy swapping stories, comments, slanders and so on and when I get
a few minutes to look . . . Nowt!
Profuse apols.  I've been a bit busy in various ways.  Do hope wife is
not *too* poorly - Umratic vibes heading her way.
Sorry I have been visiting Portugal. No sorry. Portugal got cancelled
(this cancel culture gets everywhere). Cumbria - yes the Lake District.
Seven days, 6 great meals, many miles and li'l ratty. Kirkstone,
Whinlatter, Honister, Wrynose and Hardknott passes, the wife even drove
the first one and then complained about the rest!
How was li’l ratty?
Sincerely Chris
Excellent. Physically distanced and new barriers inside the coaches.
No stopping at intermediate stations, excellent sausage roll at
Dalegarth (never understood why it is not the Ravenglass and Dalegarth
railway) plus some decent running up the hill - but the trains are
lightly loaded.
2020-10-03 21:40:11 UTC
Excellent.  Physically distanced and new barriers inside the coaches. No
stopping at intermediate stations, excellent sausage roll at Dalegarth
(never understood why it is not the Ravenglass and Dalegarth railway)
plus some decent running up the hill - but the trains are lightly loaded.
My family consider it exceedingly nesh -and therefore absolutely not
done - to sit in an enclosed coach, regardless of the weather!

When my siblings and I were children we would be escorted on the train
by Mum while Dad made the same journey in the car, pausing wherever the
railway line passed under a road bridge. Said parent would then stand
on the bridge and drop sweets into the train as it passed beneath. The
other passengers were always delighted if his aim was a little off and
the sweets fell in the wrong place!
Wrexham, UK
Sam Plusnet
2020-10-03 22:48:41 UTC
Excellent.  Physically distanced and new barriers inside the coaches.
No stopping at intermediate stations, excellent sausage roll at
Dalegarth (never understood why it is not the Ravenglass and Dalegarth
railway) plus some decent running up the hill - but the trains are
lightly loaded.
My family consider it exceedingly nesh -and therefore absolutely not
done - to sit in an enclosed coach, regardless of the weather!
When my siblings and I were children we would be escorted on the train
by Mum while Dad made the same journey in the car, pausing wherever the
railway line passed under a road bridge.  Said parent would then stand
on the bridge and drop sweets into the train as it passed beneath.  The
other passengers were always delighted if his aim was a little off and
the sweets fell in the wrong place!
I haven't seen or heard "nesh" used for some time.

The OED quotes the first use of the word (to mean "Tender, delicate,
weak; unable to endure fatigue or exposure; susceptible to cold.") dated
to Circa 1000.
Tony Smith
Similarly on the Welsh Highland Railway last week.
Chris McMillan

2020-10-05 12:27:58 UTC
Post by Mike Ruddock
[...]
About what I expected from what “Steam Railway” he say.

Sincerely Chris
Rosalind Mitchell
2020-10-03 22:30:26 UTC
Post by Mike Ruddock
Where is everybody?
Here I am looking after a poorly wife and imagining that everyone
else is busy swapping stories, comments, slanders and so on and when
I get a few minutes to look . . . Nowt!
Profuse apols.  I've been a bit busy in various ways.  Do hope wife is
not *too* poorly - Umratic vibes heading her way.
Sorry I have been visiting Portugal.  No sorry.  Portugal got cancelled
(this cancel culture gets everywhere).  Cumbria - yes the Lake District.
 Seven days, 6 great meals, many miles and li'l ratty.  Kirkstone,
Whinlatter, Honister, Wrynose and Hardknott passes, the wife even drove
the first one and then complained about the rest!
Ah but did she do Kirkstone properly, from Ambleside, or by the wussy
route from Windermere via Troutbeck?

And when are you coming up to do the Bealach na Bà?

2020-10-04 23:15:16 UTC
Post by Rosalind Mitchell
Ah but did she do Kirkstone properly, from Ambleside, or by the wussy
route from Windermere via Troutbeck?
And when are you coming up to do the Bealach na Bà?
Hi Rosie

The good lady wife drove the Kirkstone in a southerly direction sticking
to the main road. I took control for the return journey up the alleged
Struggle from Ambleside. So it was done comprehensively.

When we did Route 500 a couple of years ago we were navigating in an
anti-clockwise direction so descended Applecross (I cannot do accents)
but I have a definitive wish to do the drive again but as passenger for
the bits I drove and vice versa.
Rosalind Mitchell
2020-09-27 20:20:51 UTC
Post by Mike Ruddock
Where is everybody?
Here I am looking after a poorly wife and imagining that everyone else
is busy swapping stories, comments, slanders and so on and when I get a
few minutes to look . . . Nowt!
I have a three-hour Bollywood epic to watch before bedtime.

2020-09-27 21:04:45 UTC
On Sun, 27 Sep 2020 20:53:24 +0100, Mike Ruddock
Post by Mike Ruddock
Where is everybody?
Here I am looking after a poorly wife and imagining that everyone else
is busy swapping stories, comments, slanders and so on and when I get a
few minutes to look . . . Nowt!
Mike Ruddock
Best wishes to wife for a good recovery, and for you too not to get it
if it is contagious and to keep well while doing nursing.
Chris McMillan
2020-09-29 18:03:36 UTC
Post by Mike Ruddock
Where is everybody?
Here I am looking after a poorly wife and imagining that everyone else
is busy swapping stories, comments, slanders and so on and when I get a
few minutes to look . . . Nowt!
Mike Ruddock
I couldn’t download anything yesterday.

Get well soon Virginia!

From the McTs
Mike Ruddock
2020-09-30 07:16:39 UTC
Post by Mike Ruddock
Where is everybody?
Here I am looking after a poorly wife and imagining that everyone else
is busy swapping stories, comments, slanders and so on and when I get a
few minutes to look . . . Nowt!
Mike Ruddock
I couldn’t download anything yesterday.
Get well soon Virginia!
From the McTs
Thanks. We can't complain about the NHS which has been very efficient.
However, a total of nearly 7 hours of diagnostic investigation on three
separate occasions has resulted in nothing much. Both body and brain
have been inspected closely and scanned without anything unusual being
found. The theory is that her symptoms arise from anxiety attacks.

It may be that she is secretly worried about all the talk of death
(C-19) so we are abstaining from watching tv and radio news as much as
possible.

Mike Ruddock
Nick Odell
2020-09-30 19:26:42 UTC
On Wed, 30 Sep 2020 08:16:39 +0100, Mike Ruddock
Post by Mike Ruddock
Post by Mike Ruddock
Where is everybody?
Here I am looking after a poorly wife and imagining that everyone else
is busy swapping stories, comments, slanders and so on and when I get a
few minutes to look . . . Nowt!
Mike Ruddock
I couldn’t download anything yesterday.
Get well soon Virginia!
From the McTs
Thanks. We can't complain about the NHS which has been very efficient.
However, a total of nearly 7 hours of diagnostic investigation on three
separate occasions has resulted in nothing much. Both body and brain
have been inspected closely and scanned without anything unusual being
found. The theory is that her symptoms arise from anxiety attacks.
It may be that she is secretly worried about all the talk of death
(C-19) so we are abstaining from watching tv and radio news as much as
possible.
That sounds like a theory I could go along with: things like that have
happened to me in the past. And that sounds like a good plan for
moving forward.

All the best to both of you, Mike.

2020-10-02 15:36:11 UTC
We can't complain about the NHS which has been very efficient. However,
a total of nearly 7 hours of diagnostic investigation on three separate
occasions has resulted in nothing much. Both body and brain have been
inspected closely and scanned without anything unusual being found. The
theory is that her symptoms arise from anxiety attacks.
I hope matters will improve shortly.

Did I tell umra about my life saving NHS encounter?
I can't remember so it is fine to tell it again.
Mike
2020-10-03 07:06:48 UTC
We can't complain about the NHS which has been very efficient. However,
a total of nearly 7 hours of diagnostic investigation on three separate
occasions has resulted in nothing much. Both body and brain have been
inspected closely and scanned without anything unusual being found. The
theory is that her symptoms arise from anxiety attacks.
I hope matters will improve shortly.
Did I tell umra about my life saving NHS encounter?
I can't remember so it is fine to tell it again.
Go to the back of the telephone queue, press 2 and make an appointment
then!
2020-10-03 10:18:50 UTC
We can't complain about the NHS which has been very efficient. However,
a total of nearly 7 hours of diagnostic investigation on three separate
occasions has resulted in nothing much. Both body and brain have been
inspected closely and scanned without anything unusual being found. The
theory is that her symptoms arise from anxiety attacks.
I hope matters will improve shortly.
Did I tell umra about my life saving NHS encounter?
I can't remember so it is fine to tell it again.
Go to the back of the telephone queue, press 2 and make an appointment
then!
For about 6 months I have been suffering breathlessness. After finding
it did not go away on its own I tried to consult a doctor. Apparently
they have all been locked away and are not allowed to see anyone. All
the evidence points to a better a medical outcome if a doctor inspects
the patient apparently. She mused over the phone (when it eventually
happened) and suggested that based on some blood tests I should see a
consultant for my liver. I pointed out that I had problems breathing
and was that the best place to look?

Tests. The liver consultant (I prefer pink) said there was not much
they could do for fatty livers and so as per BoJo I should lose weight.
And I could have some tablets for my pancreas. I pointed out that my
problem was with breathing.

Separately I still have to have my second hand operation (and yes I have
used that joke before, so probably have told umra this story). And
having been put on the waiting list in January I was called in for the
pre-op in August. Nice nurse Katy (actually a sister) did my pre-op two
years ago and I mentioned my breathing problem. As she had done the
pre-op two years ago she looked at the ECGs and rang me to say there was
nothing wrong with either ECG but she was not happy that they were
different and she had asked a cardiologist who had suggested an echo
cardiogram and CT scan on my heart. (Often breathing problems are to do
with heart problems and my doctor felt that the liver was the problem -
see above).

So on a Monday two weeks ago I finally had the CT scan (the echo
cardiogram had shown nothing and an X-ray had shown nothing wrong with
the heart either). Anyway on the Tuesday a nice cardiologist phoned up
at lunchtime. Could I drop what I was doing NOW and pop along to
Frimley Park Emergency Department rapidly. He (based at Royal Surrey in
Guildford) would speak to contacts and smooth the path.

Less than 20 minutes in ED as I was "expected" and straight into Medical
Assessment Unit. The cardiologist had spotted something like a clot on
a lung on the edge of the heart scan and felt it was serious enough to
be seen NOW.

Spend about 8 hours in MAU - lots of blood taken, needles galore because
no-one can find a vein anywhere - another CT scan (of the lungs this
time - did I mention I had a problem breathing).

Dose of blood thinners, course of tablets and apparently the clots
should disappear. Various follow ups.

Nurse Katy phones the next day, so I can thank her for spotting the
problem. And of course now I am on blood thinners they cannot do the
operation for over six months, so the second hand will be a year later
and the delay means it is getting worse.

But if I have a breathing problem why not look at the lungs?
2020-10-03 17:34:19 UTC
[...]
Well, I know medicine is an inexact '...science?...an art? I had two
brothers-in-law, brothers of Capt Ex, who were doctors. I recall
listening to them discussing a niece's wrist that she hurt falling
while ice-skating. Two very different ideas about cause and treatment.
For a sprained wrist! Never mind breathing difficulties. My
father's father was a doctor too. I don't know how good his diagnostic
skills were as I never met him, but his predictive skills were not
good. He and my grandmother left it too late to get out of
Czechoslovakia.
Sam Plusnet
2020-10-03 22:52:01 UTC
[...]
Reminds me of our (probably) first visit to the Vets.
The vet walked into the examination room and said
"How old is the puppy?"
We were standing at the examination table, holding onto a rather wriggly
kitten.
Paul Herber
2020-10-04 08:12:09 UTC
[...]

starting at 1m21s
--
Regards, Paul Herber
https://www.paulherber.co.uk/
Nick Odell
2020-09-30 19:21:52 UTC
On Tue, 29 Sep 2020 18:03:36 GMT, Chris McMillan
Post by Mike Ruddock
Where is everybody?
Here I am looking after a poorly wife and imagining that everyone else
is busy swapping stories, comments, slanders and so on and when I get a
few minutes to look . . . Nowt!
Mike Ruddock
I couldn’t download anything yesterday.
We had a all-day power cut yesterdays so couldn't download, upload or
anywayload anything.

People eat later over here. 10pm UK time and it is "Come on you lot:
haven't you got homes to go to?" 10pm Buenos Aires time and people are
asking, "Isn't it a bit early for dinner?"

So yesterday evening, as the sun went down, I was making stuffed
Ñocqui of course(1) and a sauce to go with them and putting them all
in places where I could find them again to cook them after dark in the
dark. Fortunately we are cooking with gas over here..

Nick
(1)It was September 29th