UMRA birthday info for 7 June 2021
Birthday Monitor
2021-06-07 06:07:27 UTC
Birthday News for today, 7 June: Bert Fry.
2021-06-07 10:25:48 UTC
On Mon, 7 Jun 2021 06:07:27 +0000 (UTC), Birthday Monitor
Post by Birthday Monitor
Birthday News for today, 7 June: Bert Fry.
How old Bert Fry?
He's 85 today - does he have a life tenancy in the farm bungalow? Is he
still working?
Are Rex and whatshisface still living there with him? Neither of them work
on the farm, although Rex's pig venture may allow him to rent the place,
which presumably has an agricultural lien. He could probably find somewhere
nearer to his pigs on the Lower Loxley Estate if he tried
2021-06-07 10:51:57 UTC
He's 85 today - does he have a life tenancy in the farm bungalow?
I can remember an agreement that he could occupy the bungalow until he died.

Is he
Post by Penny
still working?
We have not heard guiding work at LL lately - not much demand I suppose.
Post by Penny
Are Rex and whatshisface still living there with him?
As far as we know Toby and Rex are still sub-tenants - although Toby is
presumably co-parenting and not using a bed at the cottage whilst Rex
would like to be in bed with Pip?
2021-06-07 12:29:30 UTC
He's 85 today - does he have a life tenancy in the farm bungalow?
I can remember an agreement that he could occupy the bungalow until he died.
I have a similar vague memory. I think it was at a point where
David-and-Ruth were feeling well-disposed and/or sympathetic towards
Bert: either he'd just done something very good to/for them, or it was
when he was somewhat lost after the sudden and unpleasant death of
Freda. (Not that many deaths are pleasant, but didn't she die in the
flood?) I think that _was_ the occasion for D&R to tell him he was OK.
Post by krw
Is he
Post by Penny
still working?
We have not heard guiding work at LL lately - not much demand I suppose.
Like me, I think he's more or less broken (not working).
Are Rex and whatshisface still living there with him?
As far as we know Toby and Rex are still sub-tenants - although Toby is
presumably co-parenting and not using a bed at the cottage whilst Rex
would like to be in bed with Pip?
Though neither of those would count for Brookfield, I thought the
following might be of interest:
Where accommodation is needed for an agricultural worker who needs to
live on-site or nearby (e. g. to be close to look after livestock), and
no nearby accommodation exists, planning permission may be granted for
temporary (removable) accommodation, even in an area where such would
not normally be permitted (outside an area scheduled for dwellings,
AONB. etc.), provided it remains for the use of the agricultural worker
only - usually the period is for a given reason, such as to see whether
a proposed agricultural business becomes viable. If it is granted, it's
usually for a temporary period (e. g. three years), i. e. a condition is
applied that by a given date it is removed and the site returned to as
before the dwelling was present.

It's not unusual for a subsequent application (e. g. if the business
_does_ prove viable, or look likely to become so soon) to be made -
before the stated date, of course - to extend the temporary period
(though _repeated_ such extensions are discouraged), or to have the
remove-by-given-date condition removed; it's not unknown for a planning
authority to allow this, but replacing the "remove by date X" by "remove
should in the future no longer be required for ag. worker" (and
retaining the "only _for_ use _by_ ag. worker" condition).

Such applications, like most planning applications, are usually made by
the person who owns the land; though I _think_ anyone can apply for
planning permission for anything anywhere (if you want to waste your
money [fees plus architect costs] doing so, they're not going to stop
you - or you might even get it; having planning permission doesn't allow
you to actually build something on someone else's land! [In fact there
are a lot of cases where you can get PP for something but still not be
able to go ahead with it.]). So I can't see potential-pig-baron applying
- he probably doesn't have the cash to do it, and I can't see either
David or Elizabeth _wanting_ to; they might if _they_ were proposing the
business and thinking of _employing_ what's-his-name to _run_ it, but
AFAICS he's wanting to own _and_ operate it.

(As you can probably guess, we have such an application in my area. I
can't give any details as it hasn't been decided yet, but I thought the
situation is of interest/relevance to UMRA. The temporary accommodation
doesn't have to be a grotty caravan or even a mobile home - it can be a
nice home, provided it is of a type that _can_ be removed without actual
demolition [at least, such is more likely to be given temporary
permission in the first place].)

Veni, Vidi, Video (I came, I saw, I'll watch it again later) - Mik from S+AS
Limited (***@saslimited.demon.co.uk), 1998
Mike McMillan
2021-06-07 16:40:12 UTC
He's 85 today - does he have a life tenancy in the farm bungalow?
I can remember an agreement that he could occupy the bungalow until he died.
I have a similar vague memory. I think it was at a point where
David-and-Ruth were feeling well-disposed and/or sympathetic towards
Bert: either he'd just done something very good to/for them, or it was
when he was somewhat lost after the sudden and unpleasant death of
Freda. (Not that many deaths are pleasant, but didn't she die in the
flood?) I think that _was_ the occasion for D&R to tell him he was OK.
Post by krw
Is he
Post by Penny
[...]
Two thoughts, firstly (and in true Umratic style) may I suggest a pig
ar(c)(k)? Secondly, easy (FSVO) easy, how about an old shipping container;
I have gathered they are being used for many purposes including
accommodation and for offices these day.
Toddle Pip, Mike McMillan
Penny
2021-06-07 22:05:47 UTC
Where accommodation is needed for an agricultural worker who needs to
live on-site or nearby (e. g. to be close to look after livestock), and
no nearby accommodation exists, planning permission may be granted for
temporary (removable) accommodation, even in an area where such would
not normally be permitted (outside an area scheduled for dwellings,
AONB. etc.), provided it remains for the use of the agricultural worker
only - usually the period is for a given reason, such as to see whether
a proposed agricultural business becomes viable. If it is granted, it's
usually for a temporary period (e. g. three years), i. e. a condition is
applied that by a given date it is removed and the site returned to as
before the dwelling was present.
[...]
I was going to add to this earlier but Agent did the unthinkable and
crashed. CBA to track down the specific post...

When Ray was a lad, his family would spend every summer camping - and later
in a home-made caravan - on a plot in a field above Harlech. His Granny had
bought the plot from the farmer who lived nearby. Several other families
also owned plots there - I have a map somewhere and the deed of sale.

Once old man Glendinning had built the caravan, it was towed up there and
left on the plot all year round.

Then came the 1947 Town and Country Planning Act, which forbade such ad hoc
arrangements - planning permission was required for land development;
ownership alone no longer conferred the right to develop the land.
Permission was refused and all the caravan owners were ordered to remove
their holiday homes.

The farmer liked the family (they helped out on the farm at times) and told
them to leave their caravan - he'd tell the planning people it was a
lambing caravan - so they continued to holiday there for a few more years.

I rather wish we had gone over and camped on the plot for a week, though
the farm has changed hands so persuading the current chap might have proved
difficult.
2021-06-07 11:33:37 UTC
Post by Birthday Monitor
Birthday News for today, 7 June: Bert Fry.
How old Bert Fry?
He's 85 today - does he have a life tenancy in the farm bungalow? Is he
still working?
Are Rex and whatshisface still living there with him? Neither of them work
on the farm, although Rex's pig venture may allow him to rent the place,
which presumably has an agricultural lien. He could probably find somewhere
nearer to his pigs on the Lower Loxley Estate if he tried
As long as he gets in before Vince permanently parks his slippers there,
there may still be half a double bed for him with Lizzie….
Toddle Pip, Mike McMillan
krw
2021-06-07 13:20:17 UTC
Post by Birthday Monitor
Birthday News for today, 7 June: Bert Fry.
How old Bert Fry?
He's 85 today - does he have a life tenancy in the farm bungalow? Is he
still working?
Are Rex and whatshisface still living there with him? Neither of them work
on the farm, although Rex's pig venture may allow him to rent the place,
which presumably has an agricultural lien. He could probably find somewhere
nearer to his pigs on the Lower Loxley Estate if he tried
As long as he gets in before Vince permanently parks his slippers there,
there may still be half a double bed for him with Lizzie….
I think Vince and Lizzie is our generation's version of Ralph and
Lilibet, oops sorry Lilian.
If Lilibet is Her Maj who is Ralph?
krw